WRs to watch

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: WRs to watch

Post by dead_poet »

WRs run Sunday
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

40 Times just coming in:

Josh Boyce: 4.38
Tavon Austin: 4.25 (!)
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Deandre Hopkins: 4.5
Justin Hunter: 4.41
Cordarelle Patterson: 4.37
Quinton Patton: 4.46
Robert Woods: 4.44
All per NFL.com
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mrc44 wrote:With that 4.44 time for Woods he may move up the board. I still am waiting for the rerun of the on field drills for the WR's.
I still want hopkins and no I really like Boyce for late round.
Boyce is a beast. He looks like a TE. Although I knew he had some speed, I had no idea he'd run the 40 that fast. I wonder if he's moved up the boards a bit too? Hopefully we can snag him in the 4th, where we have two picks.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

I think one name people, including analysts are overlooking is Ryan Swope. He was Manziel's go to guy at Texas A&M.
WEAKNESSES: His height, straight-line speed and acceleration are only average, limiting him to a slot or number three receiver role at the next level. Doesn’t have the elite athleticism to elude NFL-caliber defenders in space, and his strength is not enough to run through pro linebackers and defensive backs in the second level.
at 6'0" with a 4.38 Official 40 time, I think he answered those questions.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Player

Russ Lande of the National Football Post hears Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson has been "very unimpressive" in team interviews at the Combine.

Lande suggests Patterson's poor interviews coupled with an up-and-down showing in Combine pass-catching drills could result in him "sliding down draft boards." As an athlete, Patterson remains a 6-foot-2, 216-pound freak. He ran a 4.42 official forty with a 37-inch vertical and explosive 10-foot-8 broad jump.
Source: National Football Post
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Da'Rick Rogers - WR - Player

Tennessee Tech WR Da'Rick Rogers ran forty times of 4.44 and 4.56 at the NFL Scouting Combine, before his "official" time was deemed 4.52.

Rogers plays closer to the former time on tape, and his physicality post-catch is Boldinian if you go back and watch him at Tennessee in 2011. He spent the 2012 season at Tennessee Tech after getting kicked off the Vols' team due to three failed drug tests. Rogers told media members he's completely kicked marijuana. He could be a steal as a day-two draft selection.

---
Justin Hunter - WR - Player

Tennessee WR Justin Hunter ran "unofficial" forty times of 4.41 and 4.44 at the NFL Scouting Combine before his "official" time was deemed 4.44.

He lit up the Combine, also registering a 39 1/2" vertical and 11-foot-6 broad jump at 6-foot-4, 196. Although Hunter's 2012 tape is filled with flaws, he was drawing A.J. Green comparisons prior to blowing out a knee in 2011 and already runs faster than Green. If Hunter can recapture pre-injury form, he could be a steal in the late first or second round. Teams will want to look back at his 2010-2011 film for a better, healthier prospect.

---
DeAndre Hopkins - WR - Player

Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins ran twin forty times of 4.50 and 4.50 at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Marquise Goodwin and Tavon Austin's sub-4.3 "unofficial" times are generating all of the headlines, but Hopkins helped himself on Sunday with back-to-back solid runs. "That's how he plays on tape," observed NFL Network's Mike Mayock of Hopkins' twin 4.5s. A physical receiver with elite ball skills at 6-foot-1, 214, Hopkins is getting mostly second-round grades around the league.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

While I would be fine with the Vikes taking Patterson should he slide a bit, I'd also be happy with them taking Tavon Austin at #23. I knew the guy was fast, but that 40 time is off the charts. Plus, he's a solid all-around player who could contribute right away as a returner and start to get more reps at WR as the season wears on. Austin is really another player in the Harvin mold, and the only thing more dangerous than one Percy Harvin on the field is 2 Percy Harvins on the field.

I know the Vikes need to find a legit #1 receiver, but I'm guess with the depth of this year's WR class they have a shot at finding that guy into the 4th round. #23 has to go for an impact player and Austin fits the bill.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Stock report – WRs 2/25: http://walterfootball.com/combine2013stockWR.php
It's shaping up to be a very deep draft at WR. Enough that passing in the 1st, depending on how the board shakes out, may not be a bad idea.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Justin Hunter is my choice for receiver should we go that direction. The guy reminds me of a poor man's Randy Moss.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote:While I would be fine with the Vikes taking Patterson should he slide a bit, I'd also be happy with them taking Tavon Austin at #23. I knew the guy was fast, but that 40 time is off the charts. Plus, he's a solid all-around player who could contribute right away as a returner and start to get more reps at WR as the season wears on. Austin is really another player in the Harvin mold, and the only thing more dangerous than one Percy Harvin on the field is 2 Percy Harvins on the field.

I know the Vikes need to find a legit #1 receiver, but I'm guess with the depth of this year's WR class they have a shot at finding that guy into the 4th round. #23 has to go for an impact player and Austin fits the bill.
I think this is pretty feasible within Musgraves' system. I can imagine Austin and Harvin working slants and bubble screens together. They both also have the speed to go deep and outrun coverage. Wright does too, as we saw in the GB game.

It wouldn't surprise me terribly if we were to take Austin at 23. It's about where he probably should go.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

mrc44 wrote: I think we should daft two wr's early. Give ponder the weapons he needs to prove if he is legit because next season there should be some pretty good qb's coming out. I think Austin in the 1st and trade up in the secon for Hopkins . We would have a dangerous set of wr's. if Austin is not there, grab best defensive player available and then trade up for Hopkins. If we don't keep harvin and we don't make a love in FA, I would not be surprised if we grabbed two wr's day 1
Like I said, it depends on how things shake out. We could see a lot of value at DT, LB, CB, or S at our pick in the 1st. We could always grab someone in the second and use our 3rd and very high 4th (practically a 3rd) pick to trade back up into the 2nd round. That would give us 3 solid players, with two of them being WR's and still have our original 4th round pick.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

mrc44 wrote: Wait, why do I keep thinking we don't have a 3rd this year? I think I am getting confused with the 3rd we gave up for Randy Moss.
We have a total of 9 picks, our original 7, an additional 4th and a late round pick.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Guard 1st, Hunter or another tall fast WR second.