WRs to watch

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: WRs to watch

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

CaptainKirov wrote:If there is any WR that should remind us of Troy Williamson its Justin Hunter. I like the kid but he has alot of things working against him. He has notable drop problems mainly. What separates him from williamson is the fact that he had good production in college and he made a name for himself outside the combine.
Did you actually take the time and look u the drops? I am trying to do so, and alot of the throws are off. Twill simply couldnt catch. Wide open, or not, he had no idea how to catch the ball. Im sick of this comparison.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Texas Vike wrote: He's certainly an interesting prospect.

Some fun highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFykvxt0Cg8

Whoever does this video editing is pretty talented. A lot of Vikings potentials here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheVikingsw ... eos?view=0

Wow. Nice vids. Thanks for the post.

If I remember right, about a year ago folks were drooling about the WR class for the 2013 draft and Hunter and Allen were the two names that were thrown around as the next huge WR prospects worth waiting for. It seems that both disappointed a bit, or simply didn't live up to that excessive hype. Am I remember this right? Hunter looks solid. I'd love him in the 2nd.[/quote]

Allen is outstanding too, hes just hurt, and has the injury tag. But he has talent. But hes going in the first rd. Hunter may be there by the time the Vikes can afford to pick a WR.
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

can we trade for someone's 1st pick in 2015 when Amari Cooper comes out from bama. Love that kid
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Did you actually take the time and look u the drops? I am trying to do so, and alot of the throws are off. Twill simply couldnt catch. Wide open, or not, he had no idea how to catch the ball. Im sick of this comparison.
You didnt read much after my first sentence did you?

Ive seen so many people knock Patterson saying he looks like Williamson then turn around and love Hunter, so i figured id point out what i did. Here's something else to note; Patterson and Hunter had the same QB. Patterson dropped less passes than Hunter did. He even dropped alot of passes at his pro day.

Now to clarify...Hunter is the WR that resembles Williamson the CLOSEST. Which in reality is still far away from what Williamson actually was. Hunter has better physical tools, and college production.
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Quinton Patton - WR - Bulldogs

Draft insider Tony Pauline notes it is assumed Louisiana Tech WR Quinton Patton will be a mid-second round pick.

Patton has visited the Rams and Titans among others. "Besides being a terrific receiver Patton is spoken about as a hard working, high character prospect by NFL scouts," Pauline writes. He works best as an outside target on vertical bucket throws or when breaking back routes thanks to great body control.
Source: TFY Draft Insider
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

McShay: Breaking down WRs after Tavon Austin
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... von-austin
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:McShay: Breaking down WRs after Tavon Austin

Whoa. Hadn't read these types of concerns for Woods (they are coming from McShay):
Robert Woods
School: USC
McShay: "I think you have to look at the whole picture and what has gone on throughout his career and the ups and downs. It might amount to nothing … The thing so often that's difficult to predict is, in addition, what are guys going to do when they have all this free time on their hands. … He could end up in Atlanta with a guy like Roddy White who will be [on him] all day … and he'll be fine. Or he could go to Detroit, where Calvin Johnson is the greatest guy in the world but he's not going to get on you for making mistakes. He's not that kind of leader. If [Woods] is not going to be around guys that are going to make him accountable, maybe he's not the player he would be if he goes to an Atlanta and plays with Roddy White. That's the tricky part. That's why there is some more risk with him, because he's not necessarily the greatest self-starter."
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I'd like more info on that about Woods. I haven't heard those concerns either and I'm not sure if it holds much weight, but still something to keep an eye out for.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:McShay: Breaking down WRs after Tavon Austin
Thanks for the link. I think this is a good analysis of the different receivers.

Of course, that's because I happen to agree with McShay on most of it. Seriously, folks, this is all more subjective than one thinks. :D
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

the more I think about it the more I don't think they'll take a WR in the first round and maybe not even in the first two rounds. although Jennings is aging and his production has been on the decline, they didn't pay him that much money not to be the number one WR. I think the Vikings also have high hopes for Wright based on his ability to stretch the field towards the end of last season. they also resigned Simpsonhave a pro bowl tight end in Rudolph and are looking for more production from Carlson. I think they are going to view MLB, CB and DT. as more pressing needs
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

MrPurplenGold wrote:the more I think about it the more I don't think they'll take a WR in the first round and maybe not even in the first two rounds. although Jennings is aging and his production has been on the decline, they didn't pay him that much money not to be the number one WR. I think the Vikings also have high hopes for Wright based on his ability to stretch the field towards the end of last season. they also resigned Simpsonhave a pro bowl tight end in Rudolph and are looking for more production from Carlson. I think they are going to view MLB, CB and DT. as more pressing needs
I remain firmly convinced that the Vikings will pick a WR before R2 is over. They may do it in R1, though I think it will be with the 25 pick. MLB, CB, and DT are pressing needs, but not more than WR. This is especially true because the Vikings want to make this 3rd year a good one for Ponder.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

MrPurplenGold wrote:the more I think about it the more I don't think they'll take a WR in the first round and maybe not even in the first two rounds. although Jennings is aging and his production has been on the decline, they didn't pay him that much money not to be the number one WR. I think the Vikings also have high hopes for Wright based on his ability to stretch the field towards the end of last season. they also resigned Simpsonhave a pro bowl tight end in Rudolph and are looking for more production from Carlson. I think they are going to view MLB, CB and DT. as more pressing needs
A case could certainly be made for that, but I would be HIGHLY surprised if a WR wasn't selected in the first two rounds for one reason: Christian Ponder. Make no mistake about it, this is Ponder's "Prove it" year. He's Spielman's selection and you can believe Spielman will surround him with more weapons and give him a greater chance to succeed. In my view our receivers still aren't good enough by any stretch of the imagination. We have Jennings, and no other proven receiver. Actually, a case could be made we're worse off at this point than we were a year ago with the subtraction of Harvin.

Glass half-empty:

Best receiver is gone and replaced with a good player, but arguably a lesser talent
Simpson was awful last season and he's back.
Wright is unproven.
Carlson was invisible and he's back (the Vikings can look for more production from him, but how much more? And does that happen?)
Jenkins is gone, eliminating a decent third-down receiver (granted he was unproductive last season as well).

They need to keep adding talent if Ponder has a chance to succeed and the pass offense has a chance to be more productive.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

dead_poet wrote: A case could certainly be made for that, but I would be HIGHLY surprised if a WR wasn't selected in the first two rounds for one reason: Christian Ponder. Make no mistake about it, this is Ponder's "Prove it" year. He's Spielman's selection and you can believe Spielman will surround him with more weapons and give him a greater chance to succeed. In my view our receivers still aren't good enough by any stretch of the imagination. We have Jennings, and no other proven receiver. Actually, a case could be made we're worse off at this point than we were a year ago with the subtraction of Harvin.

Glass half-empty:

Best receiver is gone and replaced with a good player, but arguably a lesser talent
Wright is unproven.
Carlson was invisible and he's back (the Vikings can look for more production from him, but how much more? And does that happen?)
Jenkins is gone, eliminating a decent third-down receiver (granted he was unproductive last season as well).

They need to keep adding talent if Ponder has a chance to succeed and the pass offense has a chance to be more productive.

I have to agree with your assesment. Right now the the loss of Harvin does not get cancelled out by Jennings. They need to hope that Simpson stays healthy and contributes and they have to secure a "field-stretcher" in the draft.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote: A case could certainly be made for that, but I would be HIGHLY surprised if a WR wasn't selected in the first two rounds for one reason: Christian Ponder. Make no mistake about it, this is Ponder's "Prove it" year. He's Spielman's selection and you can believe Spielman will surround him with more weapons and give him a greater chance to succeed. In my view our receivers still aren't good enough by any stretch of the imagination. We have Jennings, and no other proven receiver. Actually, a case could be made we're worse off at this point than we were a year ago with the subtraction of Harvin.

Glass half-empty:

Wright is unproven.

Glass half-full:

Jennings is a much better receiver who's used to being in sync with the QB, runs better routes, understands timing, a much better target to see if Ponder "gets it." 2 yard passes to Harvin are nice but not a good way to "test" your QB
Simpson should be healthy and makes a fine #3 WR
J.Wright makes an even bigger impact in his second year. Averaged about 44 YPG, translates to 708 yards in a full 16 games, not bad for a #2 / rookie.
Carlson will be working hard to prove himself, he has to if he wants another contract in the NFL (not just the Vikings)
Jenkins is gone but was outperformed by a hobbled simpson anyway, wouldn't want him on the field anyway.

I still expect a WR in the first 3 picks, but I wouldn't be blown away if they didn't take one. If we got a combination of BPA's at LB, G, DT, or CB none of those would be bad moves in my book. I wouldn't under estimate the effect a good guard could have on Ponder and the offense either, their inconsistent play really hurt the passing game at times and Charlie Johnson isn't getting any younger or better sadly.
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

they need to draft a WR in the 1st 2 rounds. no doubt its going to happen. it is still as pressing a need as before. would you want jennings, wright, and simpson or jennings, hopkins/woods/dosbon, wright simpson. plus they can cover MLB and DT in those rounds too. guard comes later, maybe even another WR/dline