View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Manti T'eo 
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post Re: Manti T'eo
Excellent article on Manti Te'o in the Strib today:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... page=2&c=y

Harrison Smith lobbies pretty hard for him. Nice to see. I also like Smith's comments regarding the question of fit (ND to Vikings seems like a natural progression) and Te'o's leadership.

I hope the Bears don't beat us to him. Even worse than that would be the Vikings trading up ahead of the Bears to take him. I want him, but no higher than 23.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:26 am
Commissioner

Texas Vike wrote:

Harrison Smith lobbies pretty hard for him. Nice to see. I also like Smith's comments regarding the question of fit (ND to Vikings seems like a natural progression) and Te'o's leadership.

I hope the Bears don't beat us to him. Even worse than that would be the Vikings trading up ahead of the Bears to take him. I want him, but no higher than 23.

Nice article. Thanks for the link. You're right, interesting stuff by Smith.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:54 am
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote:
CaptainKirov wrote:
You know. People wondered if Harrison Smith would fit in our defense and he turned out pretty good...They ran the same defense this year which is the same coverage. Coverage wise i dont see how Te'o doesn't fit, and he's going to be a good run stuffer no matter what scheme he goes into.

Who wondered if he'd fit in our defense? Every scouting report out there made him sound like a great fit! Harrison had all the skills to excel in this defense, Te'o doesn't. And it's clear watching him play he's not going to be able to perform in coverages that he's going to be asked to in this defense. Sure he can do other things. But that likely means another MLB we'll be seeing as only a two down guy.

:thumbsup:
Teo isn't very fast or strong. he isn't a great pass rusher or very good in coverage. but he has a nose for the ball, high nfl IQ. he would be a good leader on defense imo.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:28 pm
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:

I don't think trading up to get him would be worse than losing out on him (or are you just worried about the price of such a move?). If he's the guy they want, it makes little difference to me if they take him at #18, #19 or #23 and IF he's the right guy to play MLB for the Vikes for the next 8-10 years, I think drafting him a little higher than #23 is immaterial.

Thanks for the link. Smith's comments go a long way toward further convincing me Te'o could be a great fit in Minnesota and I agree with his assessment. I doubt this whole"catfish" scandal will have any long term impact on Te'o's ability to be a leader. Players respect performance and if he performs in the NFL like he did at Notre Dame, he'll have no problem winning over teammates. The press and fans seem more likely to continue holding the whole "girlfriend" mess over his head for a long time than the players, who will probably just tease him and get over it.

I bet he'll hear plenty about it on the field from opponents.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:53 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

I don't think trading up to get him would be worse than losing out on him (or are you just worried about the price of such a move?). If he's the guy they want, it makes little difference to me if they take him at #18, #19 or #23 and IF he's the right guy to play MLB for the Vikes for the next 8-10 years, I think drafting him a little higher than #23 is immaterial.

Thanks for the link. Smith's comments go a long way toward further convincing me Te'o could be a great fit in Minnesota and I agree with his assessment. I doubt this whole"catfish" scandal will have any long term impact on Te'o's ability to be a leader. Players respect performance and if he performs in the NFL like he did at Notre Dame, he'll have no problem winning over teammates. The press and fans seem more likely to continue holding the whole "girlfriend" mess over his head for a long time than the players, who will probably just tease him and get over it.

I bet he'll hear plenty about it on the field from opponents.

I fully agree with the part of your quote that I underlined above. Smith mentions it too. Guys will rally around him once he starts making the kinds of plays we've seen him make for years at ND.

I don't like the idea of having to move ahead of the Bears to take him, but you're ultimately right that going up to 18 or 19 to snag him if they are totally sold on him would not be such a bad move. I think a lot of fans weren't convinced on draft night that Harrison Smith was worth jumping back up into the 1st round last year. That seems like a silly worry at this point. It didn't cost us too terribly much and he has been a great fit for our team.

If they only move up 4 or 5 spots it shouldn't cost them too much and they can be sure to get the guy they want (if Te'o is there guy, like I suspect he is).

Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:39 pm
Starter

hibbingviking wrote:
Demi wrote:
CaptainKirov wrote:
You know. People wondered if Harrison Smith would fit in our defense and he turned out pretty good...They ran the same defense this year which is the same coverage. Coverage wise i dont see how Te'o doesn't fit, and he's going to be a good run stuffer no matter what scheme he goes into.

Who wondered if he'd fit in our defense? Every scouting report out there made him sound like a great fit! Harrison had all the skills to excel in this defense, Te'o doesn't. And it's clear watching him play he's not going to be able to perform in coverages that he's going to be asked to in this defense. Sure he can do other things. But that likely means another MLB we'll be seeing as only a two down guy.

Teo isn't very fast or strong. he isn't a great pass rusher or very good in coverage. but he has a nose for the ball, high nfl IQ. he would be a good leader on defense imo.

How often do we ask our MLBs to rush the passer? Im asking this as a serious question because i do not know.. Because in my mind on passing downs the MLB is covering like 95% of the time and then going to stuff the run as always.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:14 pm
Commissioner

Texas Vike wrote:

Great article. Harrison Smith seems like a straight shooter and he has plenty of respect for Te'o.

I really shouldn't make too many comments about Te'o because I've only seen him play once and that was in the BCS game. Personally, I thought Bama did a number on the entire Notre Dame D, so I don't hold that game against him.

Anyway, not being familiar with Te'o but reading articles and hearing firsthand from people that I respect who think the guy is going to be a solid pro MLB leads me to believe he would be a good pick. But I have no idea if it would be a reach or not to take him earlier than #23.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:38 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

I don't really have a problem with the Vikings drafting Te'o, but I still personally think Arthur Brown is a better value/fit at 23 or 25. I think Te'o has a lot of great tools, but sometimes those are the skills that don't translate to the pros if they aren't backed up with better speed or size. He'll probably be pretty good, but I just feel like Arthur Brown will be a better immediate fit in a Tampa-2.

I also kind of think they're going to take linebacker at 25 and a wide receiver at 23. If the Vikings took Te'o at 23, I get the feeling the Colts would definitely jump on the best receiver available because they know what the Vikings would be picking then. (Even if I kind of think they're going to take a DT and a LB with those first rounders and a wide receiver in the second and/or third rounds.)

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:15 am
Profile ICQ
Hall of Fame Candidate

At least one team appears to have taken Te'o off its board:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -nfl-draft

Quote:
"We've kind of taken him off the board," one scout told Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Monday. "He doesn't have enough ability to put up with all that. Why fool with it? Try-hard, smart (Wonderlic of 23) guy. This was the first year he's really gotten himself in shape. Some of his teammates think he's kind of a phony."

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:55 pm
Commissioner

Texas Vike wrote:

Quote:
"We've kind of taken him off the board," one scout told Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Monday. "He doesn't have enough ability to put up with all that. Why fool with it? Try-hard, smart (Wonderlic of 23) guy. This was the first year he's really gotten himself in shape. Some of his teammates think he's kind of a phony."

I've read a few players he had some "help" getting in shape too. If you know what I inject in my butt cheek.

I mean, mean.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:05 pm
Commissioner

Demi wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

Quote:

I've read a few players he had some "help" getting in shape too. If you know what I inject in my butt cheek.

I mean, mean.

Don't think Te'o's that kind of dude. But you never know. Players do crazy (see: dumb) things.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:22 pm
Commissioner

dead_poet wrote:
Demi wrote:

Quote:

I mean, mean.

Don't think Te'o's that kind of dude. But you never know. Players do crazy (see: dumb) things.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/NFLN-Manti-Teos-Pro-Day-Raises-Questions/8dc57d26-8a6c-4ced-8943-ecef4b151d4b

Quote:
"Here's the deal," Dukes said, while comparative pictures of Te'o at the combine and his pro day were shown on the screen. "Since nobody else will say this, I'm just gonna show you this. I don't know who the guy was at the combine -- the pudgy body/soft body guy who couldn't run. All of a sudden, I see this yoked-up behemoth of a guy. Nobody's gonna say anything, and I'm not accusing anybody, but we just had a huge HGH conversation ... I'm not saying he's on anything. I'm not saying, I'm just saying. I think somebody saw what I saw, and that didn't look right. That just didn't look right to me. I just want to be on record as saying -- it's a little off."

Also someone brought up acne covered arms during his college days. But that's all I could really find.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:27 pm
Commissioner

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell on Te'o (I think this is a fair evaluation):

Quote:
Manti Te’o will be a much-mentioned name on Draft weekend for many reasons. What did you see of him on tape? What other linebackers will his career ultimately resemble?

I think Manti Te’o will be a solid NFL player and we’ll stop there. I think he’s ultimately an inside stacked linebacker who will play in base-personnel packages, not in the sub-packages (nickel or dime). I think he’s best in a confined area.

If you look back over recent years, there have been a number of linebackers that have been better prospects coming out of college than Manti Te’o. That’s the only way you can do it because once guys get to the NFL, many things happen so it’s hard at that point to compare. Looking back, you’ve got James Laurinaitis (Ohio State) who’s been with the Rams for four years; Paul Posluszny (Penn State), a second round pick; Jon Beason (U Miami)…all better prospects coming out than Manti Te’o. This says nothing of Luke Kuechly and Patrick Willis—Manti Te’o is not even in their class. I think he’ll end up having a very nice NFL career and he’ll be a solid, good player. However, I do not think he’ll ever be spoken about as an impact defender.

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2013/04/23/greg ... qa-part-2/

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:44 pm
Defensive Tackle

I liked this response from that Cosell Q&A:

Quote:
What is your take on the recent conversation regarding the devaluation of the running back position in the draft?

Now you’re getting into one of my favorite subjects: value leading up to the draft. Everybody talks about it. However, it’s really an abstract concept because we’ve come to accept that there are certain positions that are now not viewed as premium positions. Therefore, you don’t have to draft that position until later in the draft.

It’s a great conversation, even an academic and intellectual discussion. Coaches never think that way because they simply want players that can play. For example, let’s talk running backs: this year there’re Eddie Lacy (Alabama) and Montee Ball (Wisconsin). I think Eddie Lacy is probably the best back in this draft as far as being a foundation, or feature, back. However, you’ll hear people saying, “Why draft Lacy in the 1st round when you can draft Jonathan Franklin (UCLA), in the 3rd or 4th round?” That’s valid except when it’s week six and a coach is in a game; they’re up by two points with six minutes to go and they need to run the ball—now you need a back who can run a ball. Consequently, that philosophical debate about value doesn’t mean anything to coaches. If they don’t have a back that can run the ball and they lose a game because of this, that’s a problem. Value is a great discussion now: it’s a lot of fun, it’s all over Twitter, and people talk about it all the time—for coaches, it has absolutely no meaning whatsoever.

That's a great point.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:21 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

dead_poet wrote:
NFL Films guru Greg Cosell on Te'o (I think this is a fair evaluation):

Quote:
Manti Te’o will be a much-mentioned name on Draft weekend for many reasons. What did you see of him on tape? What other linebackers will his career ultimately resemble?

I think Manti Te’o will be a solid NFL player and we’ll stop there. I think he’s ultimately an inside stacked linebacker who will play in base-personnel packages, not in the sub-packages (nickel or dime). I think he’s best in a confined area.

If you look back over recent years, there have been a number of linebackers that have been better prospects coming out of college than Manti Te’o. That’s the only way you can do it because once guys get to the NFL, many things happen so it’s hard at that point to compare. Looking back, you’ve got James Laurinaitis (Ohio State) who’s been with the Rams for four years; Paul Posluszny (Penn State), a second round pick; Jon Beason (U Miami)…all better prospects coming out than Manti Te’o. This says nothing of Luke Kuechly and Patrick Willis—Manti Te’o is not even in their class. I think he’ll end up having a very nice NFL career and he’ll be a solid, good player. However, I do not think he’ll ever be spoken about as an impact defender.

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2013/04/23/greg ... qa-part-2/

I really don't know what to think about Te'o as a pro, but I feel pretty sure that the Vikes' brass is high on him.

I'd almost rather trade out of 25 for 2 2nd round picks (in addition to 52) and grab Arthur Brown and a WR (Hopkins, Allen, Woods, Hunter--in that order).

The value chart says 25 is worth a high 2nd and a high 3rd, but I get the feeling that some QB hungry may up the ante.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:34 pm
Commissioner

Texas Vike wrote:
The value chart says 25 is worth a high 2nd and a high 3rd, but I get the feeling that some QB hungry may up the ante.

Let's hope Geno drops.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:44 pm
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
I really don't know what to think about Te'o as a pro, but I feel pretty sure that the Vikes' brass is high on him.

I do too.

I think Cosell may be under-selling Te'o a little by saying he’s ultimately an inside stacked linebacker who will play in base-personnel packages, not in the sub-packages but only time will tell. I don't expect Te'o to be the next Lewis, Urlacher or Willis but if the Vikes draft him and he can be the next Scott Studwell, I'd be pretty happy.

Quote:
I'd almost rather trade out of 25 for 2 2nd round picks (in addition to 52) and grab Arthur Brown and a WR (Hopkins, Allen, Woods, Hunter--in that order).

I wouldn't mind seeing that scenario play out, although I'll admit I'm looking forward to the excitement of the Vikes making two first round selections tomorrow so if they only ended up making one pick, I'd be a little disappointed. ;)

Spielman loves draft trades so if he can find a way to turn one of the first rounders into additional picks and still get players he covets, I have little doubt he'll make the deal.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:46 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
Listening back to Rick Spielman's interview on @1500ESPN today. Said there were a handful of players they did more homework on than Te'o.

Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:59 pm
Commissioner

dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
Listening back to Rick Spielman's interview on @1500ESPN today. Said there were a handful of players they did more homework on than Te'o.

Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Okay. But what does that mean? Guess we'll find out. Lots of double-speak from Big Rick right now. :D

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:54 pm
Hall of Famer

losperros wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Quote:

Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Okay. But what does that mean? Guess we'll find out. Lots of double-speak from Big Rick right now. :D

I think it probably means that there were players whose backgrounds required more research than did Te'o's. Which doesn't surprise me. I have a feeling Te'o comes off as a pretty clean-cut kid and is a great interview. Teams simply didn't know what to make of the fake girlfriend incident, rather than being scared off by it.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:44 pm
Commissioner

Speculation John? Or do you know something? (please don't trade up)

Quote:
If there is a way, the Minnesota Vikings would like to find a way to take Manti Te'o in first round.

John Clayton on Twitter

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:22 am
Commissioner

Quote:
The #Vikings and #Bears love Manti Te'o. If Minnesota wants to grab him, they'll need to jump up over Chicago. That's what they plan to do

Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:43 am
Defensive Tackle

dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
The #Vikings and #Bears love Manti Te'o. If Minnesota wants to grab him, they'll need to jump up over Chicago. That's what they plan to do

Ian Rapoport on Twitter

LOL! I'm sure Rapoport knows that as definitively as he states it because the Vikes would tell him, right?

There's so much smoke around the idea of Te'o going to the Vikes that I wouldn't be surprised if Spielman was using his past affinity for Notre Dame players and the team's need at MLB to fan those rumors while targeting someone else. Of course, it may simply be that he wants Te'o and the cat is out of the bag.

Oh, the mind games...

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:40 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:
I don't want Te'bow at 23 or 25, if they trade up for him. :wallbang:

Go Bears! Draft Te'o!

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Quote:

Ian Rapoport on Twitter

LOL! I'm sure Rapoport knows that as definitively as he states it because the Vikes would tell him, right?

There's so much smoke around the idea of Te'o going to the Vikes that I wouldn't be surprised if Spielman was using his past affinity for Notre Dame players and the team's need at MLB to fan those rumors while targeting someone else. Of course, it may simply be that he wants Te'o and the cat is out of the bag.

Oh, the mind games...

This is a HUGE smoke screen! How funny would it be if he got the bears to TRADE UP to take Teo at like 15?!? That would be epic!

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:09 pm
Commissioner

I hate to keep bringing this up, but this was pretty funny.

Quote:
Manti Te'o says he feels confident he'll be taken in the first round by the Atlantis Unicorns.

@FakeESPN on Twitter

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:47 pm
Hall of Famer

Quote:

I don't think I've ever seen a guy who gets so much love from people both real and imaginary as Teo...

Bears need an offensive lineman or TE to help Cutler. They have a major decision coming up on Cutler's future with the team that in many ways puts them in the same bind the Vikings are in with Ponder.

Of course, they do need an Urlacher-apparent at MLB, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were interested in Teo. All I can say is that if we're talking 1st round I fully support their interest and hope they make that move.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:15 pm
Hall of Famer

VikingLord wrote:
Quote:

I don't think I've ever seen a guy who gets so much love from people both real and imaginary as Teo...

Bears need an offensive lineman or TE to help Cutler. They have a major decision coming up on Cutler's future with the team that in many ways puts them in the same bind the Vikings are in with Ponder.

Of course, they do need an Urlacher-apparent at MLB, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were interested in Teo. All I can say is that if we're talking 1st round I fully support their interest and hope they make that move.

It's just an easy story imo. Two teams that need MLB's, that both run 4-3's, that are divisional rivals, that pick some where near each other.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:26 pm
Defensive Tackle

VikingLord wrote:
Bears need an offensive lineman or TE to help Cutler.

They signed two of the former and one of the latter in free agency so they have already addressed those areas. I think they may draft an interior lineman but I doubt they'll do it in R1 unless Cooper or Warmack falls into their lap.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:24 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Mothman wrote:
VikingLord wrote:
Bears need an offensive lineman or TE to help Cutler.

They signed two of the former and one of the latter in free agency so they have already addressed those areas. I think they may draft an interior lineman but I doubt they'll do it in R1 unless Cooper or Warmack falls into their lap.

They also signed two starting linebackers though too. They've opened themselves up to do a number of different things tonight

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next