Manti T'eo

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Manti T'eo

Post by The Breeze »

Texas Vike wrote:Interesting video on Gruden's take on Te'o:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90405 ... en-qb-camp

they sure are pumping this guy up. i'm not talking anything about his abilities or character....but when Gruden talks at the end of the article about how the LB torch needs to be passed from Urlacher, Lewis and Fletcher to Te'o because there is nobody else to pass it to, i'm smelling some BS. maybe Gruden just has his favorites and it influences his comments, I honestly haven't heard his opinion all that often.

i hope the kid has a great career wherever he winds up, unless it's chicago.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote:Interesting video on Gruden's take on Te'o:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90405 ... en-qb-camp
Interesting that Gruden said he watched Ogletree and Minter "get rolled" by Alabama too. Kinda puts some things in perspective.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Hopefully it is out of our hands.

I could see Spielman working a deal to jump the Bears and take him though.

More I hear more I like Arthur Brown.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Manti Te'o - LB - Player

Yahoo's Jason Cole spoke with "at least five teams" at Notre Dame ILB Manti Te'o's Pro Day who don't consider him a first-round pick.

"I think he can play and he can help your defense," an AFC head coach said. "But he's a two-down player on a good team. He's not a star. If I'm taking a linebacker in the first round, I want a guy who can change my defense." An AFC personnel man allowed "it only takes one team to fall in love with a guy," but most signs suggest Te'o is shaping up as a borderline first-round pick. Te'o recently turned down an invitation to attend the draft in person, an indication his handlers feel the same way.
Source: Yahoo Sports
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

dead_poet wrote:Manti Te'o - LB - Player

Yahoo's Jason Cole spoke with "at least five teams" at Notre Dame ILB Manti Te'o's Pro Day who don't consider him a first-round pick.

"I think he can play and he can help your defense," an AFC head coach said. "But he's a two-down player on a good team. He's not a star. If I'm taking a linebacker in the first round, I want a guy who can change my defense." An AFC personnel man allowed "it only takes one team to fall in love with a guy," but most signs suggest Te'o is shaping up as a borderline first-round pick. Te'o recently turned down an invitation to attend the draft in person, an indication his handlers feel the same way.
Source: Yahoo Sports
If I had a top 10 or 15 pick, and had an eye on drafting Te'o in the 2nd round, that's exactly what I'd tell anyone who would listen, especially a reporter.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Scott Wright's scouting report on Te'o:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingR ... ti-Teo.php

Here's an excerpt:
Was more of a thumper early in college career but shed weight prior to senior campaign and became considerably more effective in coverage and space --- Could project to either the middle or outside in a 4-3 or inside in a 3-4 --- Possesses elite intangibles and plays faster in pads than workout numbers would indicate --- May not be a Hall of Famer but the type of player and team leader you can plug into the starting lineup immediately and not have to worry about for a decade --- Not particularly flashy but just a good football player and is one of the safest prospects in the Class of 2013.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote: Interesting that Gruden said he watched Ogletree and Minter "get rolled" by Alabama too. Kinda puts some things in perspective.
Here's something else to put in perspective. Alabama's offense was downright otherworldly at times. I mean, their QB threw for 30 TDs, they had 2 RBs go over 1000 yards rushing each and combine for 29 rushing TDs, they had sure-handed receivers throughout the WR roster, and their OL was strong.

I watch a lot of SEC football. They're a conference loaded with talent, yet Alabama stuck out as being the best of the group.

In fact, when a friend (cough...Mothman...cough :D ) told me on the phone that he thought Notre Dame was going to win the BCS game, I recall telling him that Alabama would slap ND down. Look at what happened. So if Te'o had a bad game against Bama's offense, all I can say is: "Join the club." Lots of MLBs and defenses looked bad against Bama.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Here's something else to put in perspective. Alabama's offense was downright otherworldly at times. I mean, their QB threw for 30 TDs, they had 2 RBs go over 1000 yards rushing each and combine for 29 rushing TDs, they had sure-handed receivers throughout the WR roster, and their OL was strong.

I watch a lot of SEC football. They're a conference loaded with talent, yet Alabama stuck out as being the best of the group.

In fact, when a friend (cough...Mothman...cough :D ) told me on the phone that he thought Notre Dame was going to win the BCS game, I recall telling him that Alabama would slap ND down. Look at what happened. So if Te'o had a bad game against Bama's offense, all I can say is: "Join the club." Lots of MLBs and defenses looked bad against Bama.
Ahem... I deny ever making that prediction. ;)

Looking back, I think I let my desire to see Nick Saban lose that game (there's just something about that guy I don't like) seriously cloud my judgement. Alabama was a powerhouse and most of the defensive players who faced that team last season had a long day. Only LSU and Texas A&M held them under 30 points last season and the latter gave up 29. The Crimson Tide scored over 40 points 8 times!
Last edited by Mothman on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

losperros wrote: Here's something else to put in perspective. Alabama's offense was downright otherworldly at times. I mean, their QB threw for 30 TDs, they had 2 RBs go over 1000 yards rushing each and combine for 29 rushing TDs, they had sure-handed receivers throughout the WR roster, and their OL was strong.

Yes. Alabama was absolutely "other worldly" as you say, both on the ground and in the air.

I find it interesting that Te'o was recently called a very sure pick; that he's unlikely to be HOFer, but he's almost certain to be a solid 10 year starter.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

I got the Vikings taking him at #25.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Demi wrote:Hopefully it is out of our hands.

I could see Spielman working a deal to jump the Bears and take him though.

More I hear more I like Arthur Brown.
Over Teo?
You been chillin with the Honey Badger too much...
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Over Teo?
You been chillin with the Honey Badger too much...
speaking of honey badger, i wouldnt mind using a 3rd rounder on him. dude's a pure football player.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

mrc44 wrote: ... I don't know why you think that is so crazy? Some are considering Arthur Brown a top 10 talent. Brown is a stud and would be a great pick.
And T'eo isn't a great fit for this defense...
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Demi wrote: And T'eo isn't a great fit for this defense...
Ogletree is perfect for it (or will be after a solid year or two in a pro strength and conditioning program and assuming he works hard to reach his potential).

Arthur Brown would be a great fit as well. A little on the small side and I would be worried about his durability, but if the Vikes can pick up a nose like John Jenkins of Georgia in the 2nd I would be a lot less concerned about Brown's long-term health.

Teo, Minter, et. al., all would be replaceable pieces in this defense. I just don't see any of them thriving or becoming difference-makers as pros.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Actually our Tampa 2 defense would be perfect for Te'o.