View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:58 pm



Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Manti T'eo 
Author Message
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm
Posts: 2904
Post Manti T'eo
almost every mock I've seen has had Te'o going top 10. After the game against Bama, I wouldn't be surprised if he fell........far. He looked very small, ineffective, and just overmatched by a big and athletic Bama team.

Knowing Spielman's love of ND players, character guys, and the need to upgrade the MLB position, I couldn't see Spielman passing on him. But I don't know if I'd want him after watching the BCS championship game.

Thoughts?


Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:03 am
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:38 pm
Posts: 385
Post Re: Manti T'eo
VikingPaul73 wrote:
almost every mock I've seen has had Te'o going top 10. After the game against Bama, I wouldn't be surprised if he fell........far. He looked very small, ineffective, and just overmatched by a big and athletic Bama team.

Knowing Spielman's love of ND players, character guys, and the need to upgrade the MLB position, I couldn't see Spielman passing on him. But I don't know if I'd want him after watching the BCS championship game.

Thoughts?



Overrated!


Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:24 am
Profile
Franchise Player

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:16 pm
Posts: 405
Post Re: Manti T'eo
Well first of all, I do not believe Spielman has a preference for ND players. I believe at the time, he felt those two players were the best choices for our team. As a fan, I could not be more pleased with both Rudolph and Smith. I think Spielman will go through the usual evaluation process regardless of what college a player is from...

I don't know anything about this player but I do have faith in our team scouting so if we do pick him, i am on board.


Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:05 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3210
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Manti T'eo
The ND LB is certainly the cream of this year’s draft LB crop, but why do folks think he’ll be a stud in the NFL? I’m not saying he won’t be, I‘m just curious. Interesting thing about the draft, I find the media rates players in terms of the specific season’s draft. IE player X is best LB in the draft. However, how does player X stack up to say Jasper Brinkley? That is really the question the Vikings need to answer, can the guy play at the NFL level and be an upgrade over current talent?

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:42 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3432
Post Re: Manti T'eo
Good thread.

I think it is entirely feasible that he drops and we think very seriously about taking him. Two weeks ago, if I had heard that I would been delighted. He had an exceptional year: huge number of picks, tackles, overall playmaking. He has a warrior mentality and he loves the game.

The Bama game has to concern you, though. He was pretty much nullified by the size and athletic superiority of Bama, who is probably the closest thing to a pro-level team in college ball. I didn't watch the game closely enough to know if Bama did some things, scheme-wise, to account for his usually dominant presence, but I am assuming they did.

The question for me is this: how much better is he than a guy we could get in round 2 or 3? I sure would like a WR at #23, if there's a great one available.


Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:10 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Posts: 5528
Location: The Great White North
Post Re: Manti T'eo
T'eo is a guy who could either really benefit from a solid combine or could really hurt himself if his performance in the drills confirms he lacks top-end physical capabilities. He could choose to skip a lot of those and go for it at his pro day, but any indication he's trying to avoid those drills could work against him.

With that said, I don't think he's the kind of guy who will avoid anything. T'eo's physical skills might be limited, but his heart and leadership ability are not. I think he'll go out and do what they ask him to do and let the chips fall where they may. I've seen mocks showing him going as high as #5 and as low as the bottom of the 1st, so there is a good chance he'll be on the board when the Vikes pick at #23.

I think the Vikes have greater needs at other positions and there will be compelling talent at #23 at many of those positions, which could make a ILB at #23 a luxury, but Spielman and Frazier are big on character guys and T'eo would fit that bill nicely.


Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:34 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Manti T'eo
PFT just addressed this subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... will-hurt/


Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:46 pm
Profile
Rookie

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:16 pm
Posts: 33
Post Re: Manti T'eo
I'd be happy with the Vikings picking T'eo. Who was that LB who came out of miami that fell in the draft to the late 20s 15 or so years ago? I'm pretty sure a purple team drafted him too...


Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:39 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm
Posts: 2904
Post Re: Manti T'eo
PurplePPLEater wrote:
I'd be happy with the Vikings picking T'eo. Who was that LB who came out of miami that fell in the draft to the late 20s 15 or so years ago? I'm pretty sure a purple team drafted him too...



Zach Thomas?

Ah...sorry, you're referring to ray Lewis......sorry....


Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:43 pm
Profile
Transition Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:23 pm
Posts: 343
Post Re: Manti T'eo
ESPN reporting Manti's girlfriend that died of lukemia, never existed. Very strange


Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:47 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17441
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Manti T'eo
His draft stock continues to plummet. This guy seems a little... odd.

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3432
Post Re: Manti T'eo
9man wrote:
ESPN reporting Manti's girlfriend that died of lukemia, never existed. Very strange



This is a really odd story. Something doesn't add up:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ently-hoax


Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:52 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 7653
Post Re: Manti T'eo
Odd yes. Still love to get him as a LB. Hes the best there is IMO, fits in 3-4 or cover 2.


Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:23 pm
Profile
Transition Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:09 pm
Posts: 301
Location: Hugo, Minnesota
Post Re: Manti T'eo
If he can cover, GET HIM. We are in desperate need of an LB who can cover. Those dump passes kill us nearly every game.

_________________
ADMVP & CCHOF


Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:26 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm
Posts: 2904
Post Re: Manti T'eo
Texas Vike wrote:
9man wrote:
ESPN reporting Manti's girlfriend that died of lukemia, never existed. Very strange



This is a really odd story. Something doesn't add up:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ently-hoax


Bizarre. Hard to believe he wasn't in on it.


Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:40 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Posts: 5528
Location: The Great White North
Post Re: Manti T'eo
I would stay away from T'eo. Not impressed by his performance in the bowl game against Alabama and now this story comes out that his "girlfriend" never existed. So this person he corresponds with and has a deep emotional connection to dies and he doesn't attend the funeral? He uses this relationship as a reason he's motivated and people can rally around him, and yet it's apparently not deep enough for him to have talked with anyone in this girl's family during the entire time before and after her supposed death?

Where there is smoke there is fire. This guy is a fraud, probably in more ways than one.


Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:41 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3432
Post Re: Manti T'eo
VikingLord wrote:
I would stay away from T'eo. Not impressed by his performance in the bowl game against Alabama and now this story comes out that his "girlfriend" never existed. So this person he corresponds with and has a deep emotional connection to dies and he doesn't attend the funeral? He uses this relationship as a reason he's motivated and people can rally around him, and yet it's apparently not deep enough for him to have talked with anyone in this girl's family during the entire time before and after her supposed death?

Where there is smoke there is fire. This guy is a fraud, probably in more ways than one.


Having read the following, I agree with you: http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos- ... -is-a-hoax

I remember watching the Heisman show and thinking that something seemed pretty off when he talked about his recently deceased "girlfriend".

I would stay far away from him. I'm guessing he's going to free fall.


Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:02 pm
Profile
Backup

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:28 pm
Posts: 56
Post Re: Manti T'eo
VikingLord wrote:
and yet it's apparently not deep enough for him to have talked with anyone in this girl's family during the entire time before and after her supposed death?


my guess is rt after the death is when he figured out it was a hoax


Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:09 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: Manti T'eo
yesmanfan wrote:
VikingLord wrote:
and yet it's apparently not deep enough for him to have talked with anyone in this girl's family during the entire time before and after her supposed death?


my guess is rt after the death is when he figured out it was a hoax


I thought he claimed to have met her, and talked to her though? And reading deadspin it was actually a guy he knew who was behind the hoax. Sounds a lot more fishy then just being tricked by a family/friend.


Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:23 pm
Profile
Backup

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:28 pm
Posts: 56
Post Re: Manti T'eo
Demi wrote:
yesmanfan wrote:
VikingLord wrote:
and yet it's apparently not deep enough for him to have talked with anyone in this girl's family during the entire time before and after her supposed death?


my guess is rt after the death is when he figured out it was a hoax


I thought he claimed to have met her, and talked to her though? And reading deadspin it was actually a guy he knew who was behind the hoax. Sounds a lot more fishy then just being tricked by a family/friend.


he said he talked to her but never met her. apparently the guy was good at sounding like a girl.


Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:18 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:32 pm
Posts: 3382
Location: nodakoda
Post Re: Manti T'eo
Demi wrote:
I thought he claimed to have met her, and talked to her though?


He also referred to her as the love of his life. If this was all an "online hoax" as their story goes now, how does he defend that "love of my life" comment. Maybe it's just me, I dunno, but I would probably reserve that term for someone I actually MET. Everything about this screams STAY AWAY FROM THIS GUY. It's gonna be really interesting in the next couple days when this is analyzed from every angle and the web starts to become untangled. I can't wait for his teary-eyed confession on Oprah :roll:

What a weird news week for sports. Lance Armstrong the POS is back in the news and now this Manti story today. All of these grand lies are going to turn me into a cynical bastard. How do we know what's real anymore? All the MLB superstar sluggers I idolized as a kid were steroid using cheaters. There are other sports stories as well, but it doesn't end there. Great achievements through history, which are genuine and which are complete fabrications made in the quest for fame, money, and power? I guess I can be comforted in the fact that in today's internet-media world, these kinds of lying psychopaths will be exposed more easily than in the past.


Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:13 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23058
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Manti T'eo
HornedMessiah wrote:
What a weird news week for sports. Lance Armstrong the POS is back in the news and now this Manti story today. All of these grand lies are going to turn me into a cynical bastard. How do we know what's real anymore? All the MLB superstar sluggers I idolized as a kid were steroid using cheaters. There are other sports stories as well, but it doesn't end there. Great achievements through history, which are genuine and which are complete fabrications made in the quest for fame, money, and power? I guess I can be comforted in the fact that in today's internet-media world, these kinds of lying psychopaths will be exposed more easily than in the past.


Two words: Adrian Peterson.

Just look to him, his highlights, this season, etc. and all will be right with the world. :thumbsup:

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:29 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Posts: 10040
Location: Burbank, California
Post Re: Manti T'eo
Mothman wrote:



This is a good article because Mayock talks about the one thing that bothers me the most about Manti Teo, which is that when he faced top quality competition (basically NFL level competition) on the field against Alabama, he basically flopped. During the game, it didn't take long to see that the Crimson Tide had designed plays directly aimed at Teo. They saw something in him that they knew they could exploit with their blockers and RBs Lacy and Yeldon. What's more, Yeldon is a freakin' freshman. It makes me wonder just how pro ready Teo really is.


Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:48 am
Profile
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:36 pm
Posts: 277
Location: Bradford, UK
Post Re: Manti T'eo
I think his quickness was always a concern anyway and whether he could keep up with the speed of the NFL.
This latest incident with his "girlfriend" just confirms that i would not risk taking him. His big upside was a big ticker, now thats in question, theres no way i would have him.

I prefer C.J Mosley anyway, big talent and an awesome athlete. Although he's come out and said he's staying for his senior year.
Although i don't like him as much as Mosely, i'd still take Javis Jones over T'eo.

Wouldn't be suprised if T'eo puts up mediocre numbers at the combine (and i think he will) that he will go late 2nd-3rd round.


Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:16 am
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11320
Location: California
Post Re: Manti T'eo
well he will have to nail it at the combine if he wants to stay in the first round

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:09 am
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17441
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Manti T'eo
80 PurplePride 84 wrote:
I'd stay away, at least in the first round. If he's there in the 2nd I'd take a shot though.


I would take him in the third. Unless he craps out in the combine or something. He seems a little mentally unstable to me, kind of like Dimetrius Underwood.

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:55 am
Profile YIM WWW
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:24 am
Posts: 1499
Location: south minneapolis
Post Re: Manti T'eo
PurpleMustReign wrote:
80 PurplePride 84 wrote:
I'd stay away, at least in the first round. If he's there in the 2nd I'd take a shot though.


I would take him in the third. Unless he craps out in the combine or something. He seems a little mentally unstable to me, kind of like Dimetrius Underwood.


I was thinking exactly the same thing

_________________
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."


Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:02 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3432
Post Re: Manti T'eo
Boon wrote:
It's weird. To be honest, looking at the deadspin article, makes me think any number of things. My gut feeling? He was a victim. Look at this through a different window, what ,if in fact there is a what, would he have to gain by doing this so sloppily? I mean if he was in fact doing this, what made him think a plan so NOT thought out wouldn't end up being exposed eventually? I mean seriously, did he even think this through at all?

I'm pretty good at sniffing this stuff out, and there's a pretty good chance i'm wrong here, but it sounds like its a scam aimed at him that went awry somewhere and had to be cut short fast, hence the "death". It was the perfect diversion to buy themselves time to lose the scent. The real story here is, and probably the deciding factor is if in fact he met a girl after the stanford game, who was it? ND's paper is quoted as saying "they stared at each other lovingly" or some bs. Were there witnesses? Did anyone in fact see him with a woman there? If they did who was she?

Again, I think this was a scam and he is a victim. Time will tell though



What do you make of Te'o's friendship with the guy that invented the girl? There's quite a few red flags in the story; too many for me to think he's the victim.


Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:53 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3432
Post Re: Manti T'eo
80 PurplePride 84 wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

What do you make of Te'o's friendship with the guy that invented the girl? There's quite a few red flags in the story; too many for me to think he's the victim.


Apparently the guy who invented the girlfriend was on the sidelines as a guest of Te'o at the ND-USC game this year.


Yes, I read the Deadspin article that I linked up thread and saw that. My question was apparently unclear: I mean to say that it seems very suspect that Te'o was friends with the guy that made up this girlfriend. Certainly, that doesn't automatically imply that Te'o was in on the hoax, but it certainly is odd.


Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:06 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:56 am
Posts: 5605
Post Re: Manti T'eo
Hmm, a man's boy friend, not his BOYFRIEND, but his boy friend, because if it was his BOYFRIEND that would be the worst thing ever...
Because gay.

Told him a story about a girl dying of leukemia. "Oh, you can't meet her. She's in the hospital."

Why was that so obviously a lie that it was a joke, a one liner, when Liberace or Paul Lynde said it but now...

"Oh, I just don't know why a guy would make up a story like that!"

He read the climate wrong. The first gay college athlete? Playing for SACRED NOTRE DAME after his grandma died? He'd be the PC Tebow.
We'd never get away from the guy.

His only out is "I'm gay and I didn't want to say it because I was in sports, something that is very 'manly man' and frowns on gayness and society doesn't associate homosexuals with sports." That is his out. He'd be Ellen Degeneres in body armor. Maybe he could get a deal with K-Mart after draft day.


Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:49 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 256 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.