View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Cordarrelle Patterson 
Franchise Player

Post Cordarrelle Patterson
Saw that a few analysts had us picking up this guy at 23. From what i read he isnt first round talent but he looks speedy and elusive, he is a bit bigger than what we have at 6' 3" 220, but i didnt really see him going up and getting many balls from defenders. A LOT of yac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx6pGFvDqt0

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:34 am
Defensive Tackle

Post Re: Cordarrelle Patterson
He's an intriguing player but one that would probably need some development. The downside to drafting someone like Patterson is that he only has one year of top-level NCAA production to assess.

Here's a link to a draft profile:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1996183

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm
Franchise Player

yea, i read that earlier before i looked up the video. despite his "inexperience" at WR (as far as running routes...) he is a very dynamic ball carrier (possibly the best in the draft), i can see it now, harvin on on side, patterson on the other, fake the screen to one then toss the screen to the other... The draft is a long ways away though, we will just have to wait and see waht happens, but from what i see now we may be inline to pickup the #2 or 3 receiver in the draft whoever it is, Allen sounds like he would be a good physical downfield threat.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:35 pm
Defensive Tackle

AADPFan wrote:
yea, i read that earlier before i looked up the video. despite his "inexperience" at WR (as far as running routes...) he is a very dynamic ball carrier (possibly the best in the draft)

He clearly has some serious open field running skills and he looks like a natural. He made some great, fluid moves in the open field on that highlight reel. It will be interesting to see where he's projected as the draft gets closer.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:45 pm
Hall of Famer

Patterson will be the best WR from this year's class. Take that to the bank. I've watched the highlight videos of all of the top WR's, and while there will be some solid performers from this class, the only guy I see star potential in is Patterson. He turns routine catches into highlight reel plays on a regular basis. Displays excellent field vision and awareness and has that burst you look for in a game-changer at the pro level. Patterson doesn't have the experience of many of the other guys coming out, but even if he takes a year or two to develop, you can put him back returning punts and maybe kickoffs and you'll notice an immediate impact.

I would be ecstatic if the Vikes snagged Patterson at #23.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:46 pm
Defensive Tackle

VikingLord wrote:
Patterson will be the best WR from this year's class. Take that to the bank. I've watched the highlight videos of all of the top WR's, and while there will be some solid performers from this class, the only guy I see star potential in is Patterson. He turns routine catches into highlight reel plays on a regular basis. Displays excellent field vision and awareness and has that burst you look for in a game-changer at the pro level. Patterson doesn't have the experience of many of the other guys coming out, but even if he takes a year or two to develop, you can put him back returning punts and maybe kickoffs and you'll notice an immediate impact.

I doubt he'll last that long.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:55 pm
Hall of Famer

Exciting player. Kind of a cross between Randy Moss and Percy Harvin?

Not too many mock drafts show this class of receivers going very high. A lot of them have the first WR off the board being Keenan Allen going at #12 to Miami. Those ranking wide receivers currently have Patterson ranked anywhere from 2nd to 6th among WRs, with guys like Terrence Williams, Justin Hunter and DeAndre Hopkins all ranked higher than Patterson.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:05 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

The Vikes may need to move up earlier into the first round to get the player that they covet, similar to the move they made to get Harrison Smith. I think that they have an extra middle round pick this year too.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:10 pm
Hall of Famer

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:
I guarantee at least one, if not 2 or 3 of Allen, Patterson, Williams and Hunter will be on the board for the Vikings at 23.

That's exactly what I'm thinking, if the draft analysts are anywhere near correct. Wide receivers won't be flying off the board until the late first round or into the second.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:30 pm
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
VikingLord wrote:

I doubt he'll last that long.

Why? WR isn't a huge position of need for most of the teams that draft in front of the Vikings. Of the ones that could use a WR, many of them have even more pressing needs and there is arguably greater value on the board at other positions. Also, Patterson has put up some impressive performances, but there is equal hype around other WRs and Patterson hasn't done it as long as many of his peers in this draft class.

I suspect at least one WR will be off the board by the time #23 rolls around, although there could be 2 gone. One of them will almost certainly be Allen, while I suspect Patterson's teammate, Justin Hunter, will be the second taken. Hunter is a special talent as well that had an off year due to his recovery from a knee injury, but he began to round back into form towards the end of the season and, if he has a solid Combine and pro day, probably will go before Patterson. Heck, if he shows well before the draft I might even consider him a good fit with the Vikes as well. He's a nice, big target who can go up and get those high floaters Ponder seems to throw a lot under pressure. While Patterson is a dynamic threat to score every time he touches it, Hunter could provide that big safety blanket and red zone receiving weapon that every young QB could use. If Hunter can stay healthy I could see him develop into a Brandon Marshall-type receiver.

Anyway, the long and short of it is if Harvin can last to the early 20's, Patterson can certainly last to #23. A lot depends on how teams value this WR group as a class and how the chips fall in the 10-20 range. I just don't see a lot of impetus for a run on WR's starting before the Vikes get their pick in.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:00 pm
Defensive Tackle

VikingLord wrote:
Why? WR isn't a huge position of need for most of the teams that draft in front of the Vikings.

Call it a moment of cynicism. :) I'm certainly no draft expert so I could be way off with that comment. I wasn't saying he can't last that long. He just seems like the kind of talent that often rises up boards during the months of hype leading up to the draft.

Quote:
I suspect at least one WR will be off the board by the time #23 rolls around, although there could be 2 gone. One of them will almost certainly be Allen, while I suspect Patterson's teammate, Justin Hunter, will be the second taken. Hunter is a special talent as well that had an off year due to his recovery from a knee injury, but he began to round back into form towards the end of the season and, if he has a solid Combine and pro day, probably will go before Patterson. Heck, if he shows well before the draft I might even consider him a good fit with the Vikes as well. He's a nice, big target who can go up and get those high floaters Ponder seems to throw a lot under pressure. While Patterson is a dynamic threat to score every time he touches it, Hunter could provide that big safety blanket and red zone receiving weapon that every young QB could use. If Hunter can stay healthy I could see him develop into a Brandon Marshall-type receiver.

Yes, but I'd be wary of drafting a WR in the first round who has already had an ACL tear. I'm not sold on Hunter at all. Of the 3, I'd prefer Allen if they could get him because I think he's the most skilled player and I believe he might be the best fit for the Vikes.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:48 am
Franchise Player

I would be over joyed with Allen or Patterson, I dont want to see Hunter on this team, we already have Childs filling in that role...

I think Patterson should just fall to us in the second... but i expect come draft day that wont even be a remote possibility

Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:38 pm
Hall of Famer

Watching the mocks coming out is interesting, because I don't see Patterson in the middle of many of them. He's either off the board early and is the first WR taken, or he lasts into the 2nd as 2 or 3 other big names from this WR class get snagged before him.

This suggests to me that Patterson has a high probability of becoming a draft rocket this year and will likely end up being taken much higher than he probably should ala Troy Williamson. A lot depends on what he shows at the Combine and at his pro day, but good showings there coupled with what he put on tape will probably seal the deal on his ultimate draft position and he'll probably end up as the 1st WR taken.

Kind of a bummer for the Vikes, but hardly the end of the world if it happens as I think there are 2-3 legit WR prospects who merit #23 in this year's draft. Vikes could also go in other directions there as well as I think Spielman will not reach at #23 if he has someone he likes more there. Vikes might find excellent value at DT, OL, or even DB sitting at #23 as well as WR.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:05 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote:
Watching the mocks coming out is interesting, because I don't see Patterson in the middle of many of them. He's either off the board early and is the first WR taken, or he lasts into the 2nd as 2 or 3 other big names from this WR class get snagged before him.

When it comes to wide receivers, the combine means a lot to the guys making the mock drafts. Positions where athleticism makes a big difference are heavily affected by the combine. You really have to see them directly stacked up against similiar guys to have an idea...prior to the combine, everyone has their favorites and they usually plug their fav in early (which pushes down the other guys as it's all whether or not teams have a perceived need).

Walter Football, who is pretty reliable, has him going at 12. If Justin Hunter's knee checks out and he outperforms a lot of other guys at the combine, though, he could go pretty early. Robert Woods has been pretty good at USC, too.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:56 pm
Profile ICQ
Backup

He kind of reminds me a little of Jerome Simpson. Except for Patterson can actually catch the ball.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:52 pm
Waterboy

Cordarrelle Patterson is a solid wideout, but basically every mock draft I have seen says he is gone by our pick, and he will be the first WR off the board if he runs well at the combine.

I think we should look at his teammate Justin Hunter at Tennessee, he has superstar potential, and the only thing holding him back is the fact that he tore an ACL in 2011.

He came back and had a great season anyway in 2012, we can make AD be his "ACL Mentor" and finally have a deep threat.

Check out this 2013 NFL DRAFT BIG BOARD from Sportsmasher.com it gives a lot of detail on the top 70 or so prospects. Hunter included:

http://sportsmasher.com/2013/02/08/2013-nfl-draft-big-board-version-1-0/

:rock: :rock: :rock:

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:28 am
Hall of Famer

mrc44 wrote:
I would never want Hunter on this team, not because I don't think he will be good, I just don't think our 1st round pic should go towards a player who has already torn his ACL. If any injured player it would be Allen from Cal. He is not as fast as Patterson but he has better hands and runs better routes. Allen is amazing, but I would prefer we just draft BPA in 1st round (which very well could be WR , but I think its DT), and then grab the Baylor boy in the 2nd, who I believe is the big boddied WR we need opposite someone like PH, if he stays.

The only problem I have with going DT in this draft is the position is so deep it's hard to tell who the BPA at DT is, much less who the BPA at DT might be when the Vikings are on the clock. There are likely to be decent options at that position well into the 3rd round this year, so while it's fashionable for the mocks to go DT for the Vikings with their first, I don't see it. I'd say it's more likely the Vikes will go MLB with Ogletree if he's there, Patterson at WR if he's there, or Elam at safety if he's there. I could also see them going with Warmack at guard although I doubt he'll still be there, but they might also go OG there with another highly-rated OL prospect if they feel the right man is still on the board (like the guard from North Carolina whose name escapes me...). The offense Frazier wants to run requires great blocking, and the guard play for the Vikings last year was anything but great. The need is there and Spielman might surprise a lot of people by grabbing a guy he feels might be flying a bit under the radar due to the perceived value of the position.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:10 am
Commissioner

fiestavike wrote:
VikingLord wrote:
mrc44 wrote:
I would never want Hunter on this team, not because I don't think he will be good, I just don't think our 1st round pic should go towards a player who has already torn his ACL. If any injured player it would be Allen from Cal. He is not as fast as Patterson but he has better hands and runs better routes. Allen is amazing, but I would prefer we just draft BPA in 1st round (which very well could be WR , but I think its DT), and then grab the Baylor boy in the 2nd, who I believe is the big boddied WR we need opposite someone like PH, if he stays.

The only problem I have with going DT in this draft is the position is so deep it's hard to tell who the BPA at DT is, much less who the BPA at DT might be when the Vikings are on the clock. There are likely to be decent options at that position well into the 3rd round this year, so while it's fashionable for the mocks to go DT for the Vikings with their first, I don't see it. I'd say it's more likely the Vikes will go MLB with Ogletree if he's there, Patterson at WR if he's there, or Elam at safety if he's there. I could also see them going with Warmack at guard although I doubt he'll still be there, but they might also go OG there with another highly-rated OL prospect if they feel the right man is still on the board (like the guard from North Carolina whose name escapes me...). The offense Frazier wants to run requires great blocking, and the guard play for the Vikings last year was anything but great. The need is there and Spielman might surprise a lot of people by grabbing a guy he feels might be flying a bit under the radar due to the perceived value of the position.

Wouldn't upset me. Warmack is my first choice out of any player in the draft that I would like to see the Vikings add. I'm sure he will be gone by 23 though.

Yeah. I'd be surprised if he gets out of the top 15.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:07 am
Commissioner

fiestavike wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Yeah. I'd be surprised if he gets out of the top 15.

If he's there at 16-20 do you consider trading up for him?

Yes. Some have said he's one of the few "blue chip" players in this draft. But it depends on the cost and who the Vikes' have on their board. At 20, I'd inquire. Much higher than that and it'd probably be cost-prohibitive.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:35 am
Hall of Famer

This year's wide receiver class has no clear cut favorite to go number one overall. I feel like this year will be very similar to the class five years ago. Not in terms of there being no first round WR, but I feel that once one of the WRs are picked, there will be a run on WR. The ultimate question is who will be that top guy?

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:07 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
Watched & charted six games of #Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson today. When you say 'play', I say 'maker.' Full writeup late tonight. No way he lasts to Rams at 22

Evan Silva on Twitter

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 pm
Hall of Famer

The nice thing about this year's draft at most positions where the Vikings could use substantial improvement is that one impact guy at at least one of the positions looks to be there at #23 and possibly much later into the 1st or early 2nd. If we're talking WR, one of the top guys is going to be there or might slip. If we're talking DT, LB, DB, or OL, one of the top guys is going to be there or might slip. In fact, depending on who they are targeting, Spielman might even be able to trade down and still get a guy that can come in and play right away. Most of the positions the Vikings have immediate needs at are also some of the deepest positions in this year's draft, while some teams drafting early in the 2nd might feel the need to move up for a guy who plays a position that isn't as deep and where a run might be going by the time #23 comes up.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Spielman's reference to coming up with some extra picks is about that possibility more than trading Harvin.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:44 pm
Commissioner

NFL Network's Mike Mayock said his "jaw dropped" after studying Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson on tape.

"The one kid I'm really interested in seeing run (at the Combine) is the Patterson kid from Tennessee," said Mayock. "You heard me say earlier I haven't seen any really explosive difference makers (in this draft); This kid's only played one year of Division-I football. And I put the tape on, my jaw dropped. And he's big. ... He's 6-foot-3, 200-plus pounds, and he flies. And he makes people miss all over the field. All I know is his ceiling could be really exciting because he's so darn raw. And I can't wait to see him run." Feb 14 - 2:27 PM
Source: The Rich Eisen Podcast

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:18 pm
Commissioner

Evan Silva's breakdown of Patterson:

Patterson the Playmaker

Quote:
Cordarrelle Patterson is a freak. There were times he looked genuinely un-tackle-able on tape. I charted him with 29 open-field opportunities across six games. He made the first defender miss on 20 of them. Many receivers are explosive vertically and run fast in a straight line. Patterson is explosive both vertically and laterally, and physical as all get out. I loved how he got skinny through tight spaces, regularly sending would-be tacklers grasping at air as they left their feet. Patterson's run-after-catch ability might be the best I have ever seen from a college wide receiver.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... -playmaker

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:20 pm
All Pro Elite Player

this has been the guy I've wanted all along. He's the #1 WR we need. It's a shame he's starting to gain a lot of attention. I though his rawness might help him fall, somewhat like Demaryius Thomas who went at pick 22.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:49 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

He's become every scout's darling rather quickly and for good reason. His elusiveness jumps off the tape. I'm starting to like the idea of going WR in the 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and one of our 4ths.

I think Williams from Baylor would be a great pick in the second. He's the opposite of Patterson in that he put up big numbers with two QBs (so you can't just point to the fact that he had RG3 throwing to him). I like that he runs the sidelines well. I think that would compliment Percy well. Decent size too (6-2, 200).

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:55 am
Hall of Famer

saint33 wrote:
this has been the guy I've wanted all along. He's the #1 WR we need. It's a shame he's starting to gain a lot of attention. I though his rawness might help him fall, somewhat like Demaryius Thomas who went at pick 22.

Last Walter football mock had St. Louis taking Patterson at #22. If Patterson is still there at #22 then if I'm Spielman I make a move to swap spots with the Rams and get him. I'd be willing to throw in the first of the Vikings 4th rounders to make the swap and hopefully they feel good enough about their receivers and who is still there to drop down, or maybe they use their first 1st rounder on a WR and then Spielman can just sit on his hands and let Patterson drop into his lap.

If the Vikes somehow snag Patterson I will be as excited for their prospects next year as a I was the year they took Moss. Assuming everything ends up happy with Harvin, I can't even imagine how hard it would be for a defense to defend AD while having to contend with Harvin on one side and Patterson on the other, plus Rudolph in the middle. It would be very difficult given how effective both outside guys would be running after the catch. The safeties on both sides would have to sit back to ensure deep help and then AD can go off, and Musgrave doesn't even have to field any exotic looks to make it go.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:34 pm
Defensive Tackle

VikingLord wrote:
Last Walter football mock had St. Louis taking Patterson at #22. If Patterson is still there at #22 then if I'm Spielman I make a move to swap spots with the Rams and get him. I'd be willing to throw in the first of the Vikings 4th rounders to make the swap and hopefully they feel good enough about their receivers and who is still there to drop down, or maybe they use their first 1st rounder on a WR and then Spielman can just sit on his hands and let Patterson drop into his lap.

If the Vikes somehow snag Patterson I will be as excited for their prospects next year as a I was the year they took Moss. Assuming everything ends up happy with Harvin, I can't even imagine how hard it would be for a defense to defend AD while having to contend with Harvin on one side and Patterson on the other, plus Rudolph in the middle. It would be very difficult given how effective both outside guys would be running after the catch. The safeties on both sides would have to sit back to ensure deep help and then AD can go off, and Musgrave doesn't even have to field any exotic looks to make it go.

It would be nice to see him playing for the Vikings next year but I think they'll probably have to trade up quite a bit higher than #22 to get him. If he runs well at the combine, I'm guessing Patterson will move steadily up draft boards between now and April. I'm already seeing him projected in the top 15 in some mock drafts.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:21 pm
Defensive Tackle

mrc44 wrote:
Not only that, but Spielman LOVES to accumulate draft picks, so he would be more likely to trade his first away for extra picks, than to trade up.

I think you're right, although a trade up wouldn't be unprecedented.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:07 pm
Hall of Famer

Just read Mike Mayock's list of the top 5 players at each position.

Patterson is Mayock's #1 rated WR.

Read Mayock's top 5 at each position.

I would love it if Patterson somehow ended up on the Vikings. Not only would it make the Vikings better, but I have to believe it would significantly improve our chances of keeping Percy Harvin.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next