2013 Mock

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Walter Football 4 round mock

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Texas Vike wrote:I thought that this was a pretty well thought out mock. They have the Vikings making some logical picks through 4 rounds:

1. Keenan Allen, WR, California
2. Jesse Williams, NT, Alabama
3. Jon Bostic, ILB, Florida
4a. E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
4b. Hugh Thornton, G, Illinois

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013_4.php

I've already posted this mock draft here
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25436
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Walter Football 4 round mock

Post by Texas Vike »

MrPurplenGold wrote:
I've already posted this mock draft here
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25436
My bad. I opened that thread and saw that it referred to a different mock. I didn't see that you linked the Walter FB mock further in.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2013 Mock

Post by Raptorman »

If I am not mistaken, are not most of the top WR's juniors?
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

From what I've seen and read of Allen, he's got the size and straight line speed you look for in a #1 WR. However, I also think he has the attitude issues that so many WR's seem to have. I also don't think he has a great burst or the ability to make defenders miss. I will qualify that by saying he's definitely a good WR and would be a reliable, big target for Ponder, but as far as game-changing, I really doubt he'll be that. I would not like that pick at #23, but would understand it.

He's one of many WR's in this year's class that are all pretty tightly bunched up IMHO. None of them are being talked about in the top 10. I've seen several mocks that have one or 2 going between 10-20, and then they start to come off after 20 into the middle of the 2nd. So this isn't a great WR class. Of the group, I think the guy who will have the best pro career is Cordarelle Patterson of Tennessee. He's a bit raw, but kind of reminds me of a taller Percy Harvin in terms of his running skills and ability to turn small completions into big plays. You put a healthy Harvin, Wright, and Patterson on the field, and you can make any defense pay for not defending the pass. Plus, Ponder would have no excuse at all for not getting the ball down the field with that group of WRs provided AD continues to be a major threat in the running game.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

VikingLord wrote:I think the guy who will have the best pro career is Cordarelle Patterson of Tennessee. He's a bit raw, but kind of reminds me of a taller Percy Harvin in terms of his running skills and ability to turn small completions into big plays.
As such, he could even be compared to a young Randy Moss. Maybe more moves and a little less speed than Moss. More willing to take a hit and to put one on a defender, so very Harvin-like in that regard. But I hope he also has some receiving skills, because the Vikings don't need another WR who can't get open.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Eli wrote: As such, he could even be compared to a young Randy Moss. Maybe more moves and a little less speed than Moss. More willing to take a hit and to put one on a defender, so very Harvin-like in that regard. But I hope he also has some receiving skills, because the Vikings don't need another WR who can't get open.
From what I can tell, which admittedly isn't as much as someone who watched a lot of Tennessee football this year, Patterson is an excellent receiver with soft hands. In his highlight videos on YouTube he makes several nice grabs on deep balls, shows nice footwork and separation, and as noted before, he explodes once he has the ball in his hands. He takes passes that many receivers would be content to get an extra yard falling forward and he turns them into big plays ala Harvin.

In short, he can get open on short and deep routes, as well as make plays on balls when he's not wide open. It would be really hard for me to see Spielman pass on him if he's still there at #23.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

He's a very good wideout, but I really want to see how well he performs in the combine. He had knee problems and it'll be interesting to see how well he'll perform (and if he really lost any ability to outrun defenders and get open).
-Rus