Baylor game

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

jayryp81
Waterboy

Baylor game

Post by jayryp81 »

Baylor is playing their bowl game tonight at 9:45pm. Maybe you should check out Terrance Williams their WR who could be a first round pick
9man
Transition Player

Re: Baylor game

Post by 9man »

Watching the game, he looks pretty good. I would like to see the vikes get a bigger wr, similar to megatron. A big target can only help ponder
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I agree with 9man. Given that there will be some good-sized WRs in the draft that can also run, I don't think the Vikings will go for Terrance Williams.

OTOH, that's not to say that Williams isn't good. But I'd prefer the Vikings extend Percy Harvin's contract and keep him as an all-around offensive threat.
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

Losperros and 9man, I agree with both of you. The guy that fits that description perfectly is Justin Hunter out of tennessee. Look him up.
ADMVP & CCHOF
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

Dark wrote:Losperros and 9man, I agree with both of you. The guy that fits that description perfectly is Justin Hunter out of tennessee. Look him up.
Would be a reach in the first. Has good speed but needs to add muscle. The report on him is he gets frustrated easily and lets it show. Would be good second pick
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote: I think we need to add at least one WR in the draft and one if FA.

Alternately, if we add two OGs and run 3TE formations effectively, I wouldn't mind that either.

Ideally I would like to see us add both 2 WRs and 2 Gs.

At the end of the day, let's find a way to win.
I don't see guard as a big issue, especially early in the draft. If they can re-sign Schwartz (and he starts/plays the way he's capable of), we have depth for a camp battle between Fusco and Johnson at LG. That's a solid overall unit with Sullivan a top-3 at his position, Kalil improving with the potential to be a top-5 LT and Loadholt improving himself. Neither Schwartz or Fusco are all stars, but they are capable and have done some decent things this season. I understand that you can't have all-stars ALL along the line. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE an upgrade at LG, but not at the expense of, say, a solid linebacker or corner in the draft.

If we're looking at FA (which I doubt we do for a guard), I'd like Andy Levitre. # 9 guard this season by PFF. Has never missed a start.
Currently Levitre is the sixth most efficient pass blocking guard in the league, allowing two sacks and six total pressures on 239 snaps. A team looking for a stable and emerging guard could make Levitre a wealthy man.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... eir-value/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

The more I think about it the more I'd really like to aim for an elite defense. Don't get me wrong I think they should still pick up a WR at some point but no guards or tight ends or anything else (cept QB if he happens to be the BPA.)

Where we will be picking also usually tends to be when the top safeties start to go... we got Harrison smith very late, and although it's not a needed position anymore the BPA could very well be another safety. I really want a DT, LB, and WR though so it'd be amazing if we could get upgrades at all of them.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote: In the running game I agree that our guards have been servicable, but in the passing game they have been terrible. Ponder talks a lot about needing to step up in the pocket, but too often there is no way to step up because the interior of the line is already collapsing. That makes it hard to get your footwork right. whatever QB we are going to put back there needs better interior line play in the passing game.
Sure, I've been seeing that too. And I agree that they need to do a better job collectively in pass protection. I just don't think the team is going to place much of a priority on the position given needs in other areas and serviceable (though not good) overall play. Consider some of the blame on receivers failing to get open in time and Ponder's reluctance to throw the football in the 2-3 seconds he needs to make a decision. It's possible that with more practice, QB maturation and influx of receiver talent that the guards will magically look pretty darn good next year. :)
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly