How Oregon Coach Chip Kelly Can Spark 'Moneyball' Revolution

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

How Oregon Coach Chip Kelly Can Spark 'Moneyball' Revolution

Post by dead_poet »

Impressive article. Well worth the read. While my view on Frazier is still "the jury is out" after reading this I'd be lying if I didn't think this guy would be one exciting coach with the playmakers we have (and will hopefully draft).
Oregon's next fourth-and-short came late in the second quarter when the Ducks faced a fourth-and-2 on their own 34-yard line. Kelly went for it again, and this time Kenjon Barner ran for six yards and a first down. Oregon went on to a 16-play scoring drive that ate up all but 28 seconds of the first half and totally deflated Arizona's defense. Oregon went on to score 36 points in the second half en route to a 49-0 win.

Those fourth down calls epitomize Kelly's aggressiveness but what the average football fan doesn't realize is that Chip's play-calls (the fourth down tries, fake punts, two-point conversions, etc.) are almost always the correct mathematical decision. Like Paul DePodesta and Billy Beane did in baseball, Kelly's genius comes from exploiting arithmetic that other coaches are too naïve to acknowledge.
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-act ... lution-nfl
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
BGM
Hall of Famer

Re: How Oregon Coach Chip Kelly Can Spark 'Moneyball' Revolu

Post by BGM »

Was thinking something similar when I read that. Funny how the article mentions BB in NE doing some of these things with the Pats. Certainly would be HUGELY exciting!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

I'd love to see it tried at the NFL level.

The advantage for college strategy is you can have a talent overload. I would guess that you could argue the Ducks have more talent than most teams they play and that is why they are winning games. Not purely Chip Kelly's genius.

Living in Chicago land I know that people would have a recent loss coming to mind against the Seahawks. The bears went for it on fourth down instead of kicking a field goal, the bears failed to convert and it ended up costing them. There is always more than one play that decides a game, but it's hard to ignore the fact that having 3 pts more would give you the win instead of a tie that leads to an overtime loss.

Interesting strategies. I don't think it will catch on, but I think it would be fun to watch at the NFL level.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Another very interesting article on Kelly's offense (and Patriots' similarities). Worth the read.

With 1 word, Patriots’ no-huddle an NFL marvel

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/ ... story.html
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Looks like we'll find out if he's the next big thing or not. NFL.com report he's about to sign with the Browns.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Cliff wrote:Looks like we'll find out if he's the next big thing or not. NFL.com report he's about to sign with the Browns.
:shock:
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

And there goes Chip Kelly's NFL career. Wow. However, didn't Belichick get his start (ignominious as it was) with the Browns?
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Cliff wrote:Looks like we'll find out if he's the next big thing or not. NFL.com report he's about to sign with the Browns.
I saw a short bit with Schlereth the other day. He said that at least as is, he doesn't think the Oregon system will work, but he thought Kelly is smart enough to adapt his system to the NFL. He showed a few of their "big" plays that worked completely due to missed tackles that simply wouldn't happen in the NFL, but with adjustments to blocking schemes, could be adapted.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Looks like NFL.com jumped the gun.
Chip Kelly's brief flirtation with the NFL has ended, with Ian Rapoport reporting he'll return to Oregon, disappointing the Eagles and Browns in the process.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Chip Kelly is Eagles new head coach;
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... gles-coach
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

It will be interesting to see how he approaches the NFL game and how much of what he did at Oregon gets adapted or changed. I doubt the "moneyball" style described in the article at the top of this thread will work in the NFL but aspects of it make sense.

So, I'll place the over/under on how long Kelly coaches the Eagles at 3 seasons. Will he be Philly's coach after 3 years? Will he quickly bolt back to the college ranks like Saban and Petrino?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Train wreck waiting to happen, IMO, unless he changes his offensive style. I hope it's the former given that I detest the Eagles.

LOL! Yeah, I wouldn't mind it if this move resulted in the Eagles crashing and burning. I don't like them either.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:
LOL! Yeah, I wouldn't mind it if this move resulted in the Eagles crashing and burning. I don't like them either.
If he doesn't go for Vick, how about this juicy storyline/Frankenstein experiment/Mayan prophecy:

Tim Tebow.

Eh?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: If he doesn't go for Vick, how about this juicy storyline/Frankenstein experiment/Mayan prophecy:

Tim Tebow.

Eh?
It would be interesting!
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

dead_poet wrote:Tim Tebow.
Why? Doesn't Kelly's system require at least being able to hit the broad side of a barn? :twisted: