View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Draft in April 
Hall of Famer

Post Re: Draft in April
mondry wrote:
Love that he always looks to be in position to make a play on the ball, ...

"Always" in his highlight real. Go figure.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:48 pm
Hall of Famer

mrc44 wrote:
Eli wrote:
mondry wrote:
Love that he always looks to be in position to make a play on the ball, ...

"Always" in his highlight real. Go figure.

Well then to look at game videos where it shows mistakes too.

So if we were to watch video of his every play, we'd see him make some mistakes? No kidding?

Quote:
He is Mayocks #1 wr... He is a playmaking corner. What's not to like? Cornflakes taste funny again?

He looks he may be good, but coming to a definitive conclusion from a four minute highlight real is a little tough.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:05 pm
Hall of Famer

mrc44 wrote:
I totally agree that's why I think you should watch Houston game videos, not highlight reels.

Yeah, highlight reels are nice but ya really gotta watch the film.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:35 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote:
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Thursday night that the Minnesota Vikings are looking to trade up in the first round. They have the ammunition with the No. 23 and No. 25 picks. Mr. RapSheet believes the Vikings would be targeting a wide receiver, likely Tavon Austin or Cordarrelle Patterson.

The San Diego Chargers could be a potential trade fit; they want to move down from the No. 11 slot if they can't get the tackle they want. (That could be difficult.)

If the Vikings were to trade up, Rapoport believes they would attempt to do so while likely still holding on to their No. 25 overall pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... irst-round

Yesss receiver talk! :)

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Famer

Quote:
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Thursday night that the Minnesota Vikings are looking to trade up in the first round.

Oh no........... :shock:

Right on the heels of Mike Mayock saying today that he'd be just as happy with the #24 pick as the #10 pick. :wallbang:

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:10 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Eli wrote:
Quote:
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Thursday night that the Minnesota Vikings are looking to trade up in the first round.

Oh no........... :shock:

Right on the heels of Mike Mayock saying today that he'd be just as happy with the #24 pick as the #10 pick. :wallbang:

Yeah. I'm not too thrilled about moving up. I'm not sure we need to. Besides, I don't want to give up a ton. I'm just excited we are targeting a receiver in the first round. I just think we can get a good one without moving. We'll see, but it's making draft day that much more exciting! :)

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner

I'd rather they get the guy they want than sit around and rely on the draft playing out. If there's a run on WRs and they miss out on their top 3-4 guys and end up Pondering the pick it'll be worse then moving a couple and going up to Harrison a pick.

And if the #10 pick is as good as the #24 (lol!) then it should be fairly cheap to move up.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:30 pm
Commissioner

MelanieMFunk wrote:
Quote:
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Thursday night that the Minnesota Vikings are looking to trade up in the first round. They have the ammunition with the No. 23 and No. 25 picks. Mr. RapSheet believes the Vikings would be targeting a wide receiver, likely Tavon Austin or Cordarrelle Patterson.

The San Diego Chargers could be a potential trade fit; they want to move down from the No. 11 slot if they can't get the tackle they want. (That could be difficult.)

If the Vikings were to trade up, Rapoport believes they would attempt to do so while likely still holding on to their No. 25 overall pick.

I'd have a hard time believing this. I just don't think it'd be in their best interest at all. For the next Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson? Perhaps. Not for Tavon Austin or Peterson. I'd believe they'd be trading up if they covet someone like Warmack, Cooper, Milliner, Lotulelei, Floyd, Richardson. But even then it would shock me. Given the holes on this team you'd think he'd be coveting picks, not trading them away. I'd still bet more on trading down than trading up. I also think going from 23 to 11 would take too much ammo. But the thought of Warmack next to Loadholt is certainly an interesting one from a running game perspective. Some have him graded as the top player in the draft. Still, trading a first-rounder to get a guard seems unprecedented and very un-Spielmanlike.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:39 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Demi wrote:
I'd rather they get the guy they want than sit around and rely on the draft playing out. If there's a run on WRs and they miss out on their top 3-4 guys and end up Pondering the pick it'll be worse then moving a couple and going up to Harrison a pick.

And if the #10 pick is as good as the #24 (lol!) then it should be fairly cheap to move up.

I agree, for the most part. I've said all along I want us to get a receiver, and waiting until late into the second isn't ideal. However, I think we can get the third best receiver without moving. And maybe not even the "third best" in their minds. I'm all for moving up and being aggressive; I'd just rather not go crazy and give up an arm and a leg. I'd rather stay put in the first and move up in the second. Moving up in the second for defense though, because I want my receiver in the first. :) With a few teams after us in the first round interested in receivers--and who knows about early to mid second--nope, don't wanna wait. In order to stand a chance this year, we need to discover a passing game. We need help. :)

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Career Elite Player

Demi wrote:

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:31 am
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:
MelanieMFunk wrote:
Quote:

I'd have a hard time believing this. I just don't think it'd be in their best interest at all. For the next Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson? Perhaps. Not for Tavon Austin or Peterson. I'd believe they'd be trading up if they covet someone like Warmack, Cooper, Milliner, Lotulelei, Floyd, Richardson. But even then it would shock me. Given the holes on this team you'd think he'd be coveting picks, not trading them away. I'd still bet more on trading down than trading up. I also think going from 23 to 11 would take too much ammo. But the thought of Warmack next to Loadholt is certainly an interesting one from a running game perspective. Some have him graded as the top player in the draft. Still, trading a first-rounder to get a guard seems unprecedented and very un-Spielmanlike.

Exactly. None of the WRs are worth trading up for. There are no real standout stars, like in some drafts.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:00 pm
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote:

I know you are still upset that Minnesota moved up for Harrison, but we could have missed out on him completely. We did not give up that much to get Harrison Smith anyway. In the end, Harrison Smith turned out to be exactly what we needed and then some!

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:10 pm
Commissioner

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
Demi wrote:

I know you are still upset that Minnesota moved up for Harrison, but we could have missed out on him completely. We did not give up that much to get Harrison Smith anyway. In the end, Harrison Smith turned out to be exactly what we needed and then some!

What? I liked the Harrison pick. And had zero problem with them moving up to get him.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:57 pm
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote:
HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
Demi wrote:

What? I liked the Harrison pick. And had zero problem with them moving up to get him.

:oops:

####, my bad Demi. I thought... Never mind. Didn't mean to blatantly accuse you of anything.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:46 pm
Hall of Famer

this is a good draft. other than qb's this is a deep draft for wr's, safties, lb's. Vikings should can some very good draft picks. haven't been so excited since Adrian Peterson was drafted. :popcorn:

Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:45 pm
Fenrir

dead_poet wrote:
Matt Elam - DB - Gators

NFL Films' Greg Cosell writes that NFL teams will view Florida S Matt Elam as a Bob Sanders type.

"In the base defense, he played both single high and 2-deep. It was not hard to like Elam. He was active, aggressive and competitive," Cosell wrote. "He covered, and he hit, with striking ability and force. He flashed explosive traits as an athletic and physical defender with multiple and interchangeable attributes to play effectively both in the box, and deep. The one concern, and it returns to what I discussed earlier, is man coverage versus tight ends. That’s where his lack of height comes into play. Elam is one of several players whose draft position I am anxious to see. Will teams see him as a Bob Sanders type player whose overall impact outweighs his potential coverage limitation? My guess is, yes."
Source: Yahoo! Sports

I've talked Elam up a lot and I still think if the Vikings are going secondary, he would be a better pick than one of the corners that will be on the board. Smith and Elam would be one hell of a duo, the Vikings could probably trade back a little and snag him too.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:20 pm
Commissioner

Yeah Elam is a guy I'd love for them to take with one of their picks. Safeties, Guards. You can get elite talent in the first at some positions instead of just getting average to slightly above at others. Especially late in the round.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:29 pm
Commissioner

Interesting take from NFL Films guru Greg Cosell:

Quote:
"My favorite overall linebacker in this draft is Arthur Brown from Kansas State"

Coincidentally, he mocks him to the Vikings at 25. Here are his two first-round picks for the Purple.

Quote:
23. Minnesota Vikings: This is where the offensive player that intrigues me the most comes off the board. That’s Justin Hunter, the Tennessee receiver. Hunter has a very similar body type to AJ Green: long, lithe and sinewy. Relax, I am not saying he’s Green at this point. But Hunter is the most explosive outside receiver in this draft class with his size/speed combination. He’s 6-foot-4, and there are not many with his height, length and movement. He showed the kind of vertical acceleration that impacts games. With free access, he ate up ground in a heartbeat, lifting the top off the coverage. The concern as he transitions is his inconsistent hands. He must catch the ball more consistently. But no WR has Hunter’s mix of size, fluidity, speed and explosion.

Quote:
25. Minnesota Vikings: My favorite overall linebacker in this draft is Arthur Brown from Kansas State. He’s not as athletically gifted as Alec Ogletree but at this point he’s a more consistent player. Brown is an active, athletic, movement LB with some quick twitch to his game. He showed excellent agility and change of direction. As a tackler, he was sudden and explosive, with short area burst and striking ability. What I really liked was his ability to fight through blocks, work through traffic and take the most direct path to the ball. He trusted what he saw, showed excellent play recognition and was decisive with his reactions. His overall consistency was such I believe he could step right in from day one and be Minnesota’s starting MLB.

Mock picks 17-32: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... r-williams

Edit: Patterson goes #29 to NE. Minter #32. Keenan Allen #27. Dee Milliner #17. I'm guessing Te'o falls out of the first round.

Sylvester Williams goes to the Rams at #22. Related: Sport Science video with Sylvester Williams: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... r-williams

Quote:
North Carolina defensive tackle Sylvester Williams is considered a candidate to be drafted by any of the three NFC North teams choosing between Nos. 20-26 in Thursday night's first round. This Sport Science video helps explain why.

Williams derives his power from 33-inch thighs, larger than at least a few of your waists. (Sadly, not your friendly blogger's.) In the video, Williams demonstrates his quickness in the form of a 10-yard split that was faster than the average result of this year's running back class.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:57 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Brown and Hunter? I could accept that. :thumbsup:

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:20 am
Profile WWW
Commissioner

Sharrif Floyd - DL - Player

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah believes Florida DT Sharrif Floyd could fall out of the top-ten picks if Oakland doesn't take him at No. 3.

We've been getting the same vibe; and don't believe the Raiders will take him at 3. The teams picking at Nos. 4-9 either "don't fit Floyd scheme-wise," per Jeremiah, "or they are set" at defensive tackle. We wouldn't be shocked if Floyd fell all the way to the Panthers at No. 14. He only appeals to 4-3 defenses.
Source: NFL.com

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:19 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
The @predictmachine's mock draft has #Vikings taking Manti Te'o at 23, Sheldon Richardson at 25, Cordarrelle Patterson at 52. Take that?

Quote:
I don't know if those end up being the names, but MLB-DT-WR is a logical way to start. Writing a column later on the receiver issue.

Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:49 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
The @predictmachine's mock draft has #Vikings taking Manti Te'o at 23, Sheldon Richardson at 25, Cordarrelle Patterson at 52. Take that?

Quote:
I don't know if those end up being the names, but MLB-DT-WR is a logical way to start. Writing a column later on the receiver issue.

Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Patterson makes it to 52? Someone is in dream land. :)

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Starter

Cordarrelle Patterson at 52 ?

I can believe that.
I mean, since Geno Smith goes at 58, Ezekiel Ansah at 61, DeAndre Hopkins at 89,
Barkevious Mingo at 137, Desmond Trufant at 142 and Justin Hunter at 166, why not ?

And I didn't even make this up.... :rofl:

http://predictionmachine.com/nfl-draft- ... s-complete

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:35 pm
Career Elite Player

Rotoworld's draft rankings (no QB's: a different scale they say) -
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... p-151?pg=1

This section caught my eye.
Quote:
30. WR Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech
31. WR Markus Wheaton, Oregon State
32. CB DJ Hayden, Houston
33. CB Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State
34. T Terron Armstead, Arkansas-Pine Bluff
35. DT Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State
36. CB Desmond Trufant, Washington
37. DT Sylvester Williams, UNC
38. ILB Kevin Minter, LSU
39. TE Travis Kelce, Cincinnati
40. DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M
41. WR Robert Woods, USC
42. LB Alec Ogletree, Georgia
43. T D.J. Fluker, Alabama
44. RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama
45. ILB Manti Te’o, Notre Dame
46. WR Stedman Bailey, WVU

Seventeen players. I want twelve of them. I would trade our two picks in the first round for three of these guys. Jimmy Johnson's chart says we could get 40-42 based on points for #23 and #25. Of course, no team owns those three picks. But it goes to show how flat this draft is in the range of 20-50. A good trade for us would be for a mid-second and an early third for one of our firsts.

It's a nice year to have draft picks and options for trading.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:52 pm
Backup

looking at something like that makes me think why so many mocks have us taking sylvester williams and not jesse williams. Jesse is an Australian monster, and sly is "good". if we take DT why not take the best available, and no one has jesse going before us

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:34 pm
Starter

big deli Vike wrote:
looking at something like that makes me think why so many mocks have us taking sylvester williams and not jesse williams. Jesse is an Australian monster, and sly is "good". if we take DT why not take the best available, and no one has jesse going before us

Jesse Williams projects more as a Justin Smith type 3-4 DE. Although Daniel Jeremiah picked us to take Jesse @ 25. But Analysts like Mike Mayock and Matt Miller have him ranked as a late 2nd early 3rd round pick

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:27 pm
Backup

i think when guys put D linemen in categories like 3-4 or 4-3 (not saying you, but all the analysts) its kinda bologna. Jesse Williams played 4-3 at bama so why not NFL? Pat williams probably would've been a "3-4" but he worked great in our system. if dont take DT in 1st and he's around i hope we grab him.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:21 am
Commissioner

Cornellius Carradine - DL - Seminoles

The Dolphins, Giants, Vikings, and Falcons are the "top suitors" for FSU DE Cornellius Carradine, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.

All four teams make sense, but the Dolphins would have to be sure Carradine could make an impact during his rookie season. The Vikings make a lot of sense, because of the contract situation of their entire defensive line. Even if he lack production during his rookie season, we firmly believe Carradine will be an impact player.
Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:58 am
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:

The Dolphins, Giants, Vikings, and Falcons are the "top suitors" for FSU DE Cornellius Carradine, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.

All four teams make sense, but the Dolphins would have to be sure Carradine could make an impact during his rookie season. The Vikings make a lot of sense, because of the contract situation of their entire defensive line. Even if he lack production during his rookie season, we firmly believe Carradine will be an impact player.

Oh boy oh boy. Everson Griffen AND Tank Carradine? Damn. That would be pretty scary.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:12 pm
Commissioner

dead_poet wrote:

The Seminoles have been good at recruiting talented DEs lately and Carradine is definitely one of them. I like this kid a lot.

The Vikings are going to have to think about the DL, given the uncomfortable contract dynamic that's going to rear its ugly head.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next