Draft in April

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

glg
Site Admin

Re: Draft in April

Post by glg »

mrc44 wrote: So fixing one of the worst secondaries in the league is not what the Vikings want?
I didn't say that. The Vikings are not looking for a DB who can play man coverage because that's not the defense they run.
mrc44 wrote:I didnt know you were part of the coaching staff. How do you know what they want? because you watch espn? We will address the secondary this year, and dont be surprised if its early. Let me know what the Vikings are looking for so I can bet on it
You're a smart one, aren't you.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

I would definately agree that a linebacker with good coverage skills would be a huge upgrade to the D. A lot of the passing yardage given up was due to the poor job the LB's did in their pass coverage. I think that Cook and Robinson on the corners with Winfield covering the slot and linebackers who can cover will make a huge difference.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Purple bruise wrote:Cook and Robinson on the corners with Winfield covering the slot
Nothing special, nothing special, and old.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mrc44 wrote:
So you are saying that if we get a Decent ILB that are Defense is solid? Our secondary sucks Ballz, IDK how you can say it doesn't. Look it up, we were 5th worst in the NFL.
You keep saying they were 5th worst in the NFL but what stat are you referring to that leads you to the conclusion that the Vikings had the 5th worst secondary in the NFL? It looks like you may be basing that on passing TDs allowed but that stat alone isn't the measure of a secondary.

The Vikes need to improve at every level of the defense so they're options are wide open in terms of adding talent. Improvements at DT, LB, CB or S could all be very helpful.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: You keep saying they were 5th worst in the NFL but what stat are you referring to that leads you to the conclusion that the Vikings had the 5th worst secondary in the NFL? It looks like you may be basing that on passing TDs allowed but that stat alone isn't the measure of a secondary.

The Vikes need to improve at every level of the defense so they're options are wide open in terms of adding talent. Improvements at DT, LB, CB or S could all be very helpful.
I'm guessing he's looking at NFL.com which has the Vikings as the 24th ranked passing defense.

The ranking is based soley off yards/per game.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote: guessing he's looking at NFL.com which has the Vikings as the 24th ranked passing defense.

The ranking is based soley off yards/per game.
Yes, it is...

... but 24th wouldn't be 5th worst. :confused:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

mrc44 wrote:
So you are saying that if we get a Decent ILB that are Defense is solid? Our secondary sucks Ballz, IDK how you can say it doesn't. Look it up, we were 5th worst in the NFL. Our system calls for good players just like every other system. Improving just the LB position is not going to solidify our Defense. We need CB's just as bad as we need a LB.

I have no idea what you think our system calls for, if it is not good players at every position, please explain!
You keep saying this, but, I am starting to question whether or not you actually watched our defense this year. Our defense was a big reason why we made the playoffs other than Peterson's historic season. Our pass defense may not rank high, but it was vastly improved from 2010 and 2011.

Sure, our defense still has a ways to go, and on defense we do have a few needs: a middle linebacker, a corner for depth, a defensive tackle, and some consistency from the strong safety spot. However, what team doesn't have needs on defense other than maybe San Francisco? I am sorry, but you cannot sit here and tell me our defense is a detriment.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Jesse Williams - DL - Player

Alabama NT Jesse Williams is reportedly generating first-round draft grades from "numerous" teams.

Williams is a stout, 6-foot-3, 323-pound "zero technique" nose tackle who could fit defenses like the Ravens, 49ers, or Patriots'. NFP draft guru Russ Lande describes Williams as an athletic nose with an "uncommon" blend of quick feet and "rare" playing strength. He's definitely on the late first-round radar.
Source: National Football Post
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The Vikings have two 1st round picks and a receiving corps that now looks like something signed off the street on a lazy Saturday in July.

Who wants them to totally go BPA in the draft, now? Maybe a linebacker, a guard and a cornerback in the first two rounds? :lol:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

No let's take the best 2 receivers. Even if they are the 9th and 10th best in the draft. THAT is how you build a team. :lol:
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Demi wrote:No let's take the best 2 receivers. Even if they are the 9th and 10th best in the draft. THAT is how you build a team.
I want some of what you're smoking if you think there will be eight receivers off the board by the 23rd pick. There will probably only be one or two gone. Come draft day, if the Vikings still have two 1st round picks, I think the chances of them not taking a WR with one of them are zero.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I agree, I wouldn't bat an eye if they took 2. But if there's a run on WRs and suddenly we're looking at a downgrade in talent over a linebacker or defensive tackle, regardless of our situation this one offseason there's no way I would take a receiver just because that's our position of biggest need. Just like I wouldn't have taken a QB at pick 12 for the same reason! You don't fix a position by forcing needs. And you don't fix a position in one draft simply by spending picks on that position.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@daniel_weinert: who do you see the Vikings drafting with 23 and 25? >>Hopkins or Tavon Austin with one. CB or pass rusher with the other
NFL Philosophy on Twitter
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote: NFL Philosophy on Twitter
Only Hopkins will be there at 23 or 25. Rhodes and Trufant will be gone. Elam should be there but we will not draft him.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.