Draft in April

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: Draft in April

Post by Demi »

Dude had 7 INTs this season.
Speaking of which, how did he manage to go from 0 in his previous three years combined to 7 in one? :shock:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: I think I seen a stat that like 5 of his 7 INTs were meaningless and in like garbage time.
I wish our starting MLB had more meaningless INTs.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Demi wrote: Speaking of which, how did he manage to go from 0 in his previous three years combined to 7 in one? :shock:
Very interesting stat. Obviously looking at his whole body of work is the prudent way to go. His lack of picks in previous years seems about right to me.
Just from watching him play, not looking at stats, I would not consider him to be a strong cover LB. But I'm just a casual fan so I'll cede to the experts that scout for a living.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

I think Teo is a prototypical cover 2 MLB. Has the ability to cover in the open field but he needs a good front 4 to protect him in run defense. If Teo fell to the Vikings I would have no problem with them drafting him, in fact if he fell and they didn't pick him, depending on whose left on the board, I'd be more upset. The more I think about it the more I hope either Teo, Alec Ogletree or Johnathan Cooper falls to the Vikings. The Vikings biggest weaknesses that can have an instant impact on the team IMO are OG and LB.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Keep an eye on ILB Arthur Brown (Kansas State) as a possible round 1 or 2 pick. He's playing in the senior bowl.
3. LB Arthur Brown (6’1/231), Kansas State - This draft’s top inside linebacker, Brown will likely see practice reps in the middle of the formation and on the weakside. The former Hurricane transfer is quick to close and nasty when needing to make contact against blockers. He can do it all and should be a first-round selection.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... 20-preview
Overview:

Arthur Brown is the brother of Eagles running back Bryce Brown. A highly touted recruit out of Wichita High School East. Brown signed with Miami and played two seasons before transferring to Kansas State. Brown never looked back at KSU as he became one of the top linebackers in the country. In two seasons as KSU’s starting MLB, Brown amassed 192 tackles, 15.5 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, and 3 interceptions. Brown is a bit undersized at 6-foot-1 and just shy of 230 pounds but makes up it with explosiveness and instincts. Brown could be utilized as an inside backer or weakside linebacker in a four man front.

Pass Rush: Brown didn’t rush the passer a ton as an inside backer at KSU. With his athleticism and closing burst it would be hard to imagine that Brown couldn’t be an effective pass rusher at the next level.

Run Defense: Brown’s size should be a deterrent to his effectiveness in the run game. I don’t see that on tape. Brown’s aggressive nature and instincts have him in the right place at the right time. His speed and ability to read and react have him beating blockers to the punch on many occasions. Brown has fierce hands that keep OL away from his chest. He stacks and sheds as well as any linebacker in the draft. Brown’s physicality outweighs his size as he often is the one delivering the blow in the hole against guys that outweigh him by almost 100 pounds.

Pass Coverage: An underrated aspect of Arthur Brown’s game is his ability in pass coverage. His eyes are phenomenal as a linebacker with the ability to read quarterbacks like a safety. Brown picked off three passes at KSU, one of which ended Geno Smith’s streak of consecutive passes without an INT. Brown will be an asset to any team in terms of pass coverage.

Instincts/Read and React: Brown diagnoses plays as well as any linebacker in the draft, including Manti Te’o. His eye discipline and study of game shows up on a weekly basis. Once Brown reads the flow of the play he uses his burst/athleticism to beat blockers to the punch as well as any linebacker in the draft.
Size/Strength/Athleticism: Brown’s size is going to be cause for concern for many teams. I don’t believe it’s enough to keep him out of round one of April’s draft. I believe all 43 teams will take a look at his overall game and determine whether he’s an ILB or OLB in their system. Brown is strong at the point of attack and uses his leverage to his advantage against bigger linemen. He’s an elite athlete that should run and test well at the Combine. He’s a true sideline to sideline ‘backer as evidenced in 2011 when he was used to spy Robert Griffin III and held him in check as KSU knocked off a very good Baylor team.

Bottom Line: Arthur Brown will be a starting linebacker in year one and should be drafted later on day one of April’s draft. His size could be an issue for teams but he’s as sound as any ILB not named Manti Te’o in the draft. With the instincts and athleticism to be an impact player, I truly believe this guy is going to be a star in the league. There are plenty of undersized LB’s making an impact on today’s game; a couple of them will be heading to Canton when their careers are over. I’m not saying Brown is Ray Lewis but he has many of the same attributes that make Lewis great. I believe Brown is a guy that teams look back on and say why did we pass on that guy. There’s just not a lot of holes in his game.
http://nflsfuture.com/2012/12/20/arthur ... ng-report/

---
Overall:
Arthur Brown, despite weighing less than some wide receivers at 230 pounds, is one of the most physically impressive prospects that we’ve seen. His speed, acceleration and burst allow him to make up for small mistakes in an angle or a read that other linebackers just can’t get away with.

Brown could be scheme-limited in the NFL. I don’t see a place for him on a pure 3-4 team, while some 4-3 teams might only look at him as a weakside “Will” linebacker unless they have some massive defensive tackles. He flows well to the ball and has speed to cover the whole field, so I do think the outside linebacker spot will work for him in the NFL.

That said, I don’t think you can discount what Brown has done at the inside linebacker position. He is undersized, but he plays like he weighs 250. He gets off blocks, blows up lead blockers, and refuses to back down from players 100 pounds his senior.

Add in some above average coverage skills and you have a three-down linebacker that will come in and contribute as a rookie. I will be shocked if Brown makes it out of the top fifty picks come the 2013 NFL Draft, and won’t be surprised at all if he is the first linebacker chosen over Manti Te’o, Alec Ogletree or Kevin Minter.
http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/01/ ... eport.html
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:A Demi special. ;)

I've heard Glennon described as a statue in the pocket. It will be interesting to see where he gets drafted.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

"... all 43 teams..." :?:

Thanks for the info about Arthur Brown. It's interesting and he's a very intriguing player but I've read that he lacks the potential to get much bigger and that could be a concern. Skill, talent and production are extremely important but can a 6' 1", 230 lb. LB hold up and be an effective run defender or cover TEs in the NFL? I'm not ruling it out, I'm just asking. It's one thing to shed blocks in the Big 12, it's another to be able to get off blocks in the NFL and bring down the likes of Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore and Ray Rice.

He has a skill set and production that can't be ignored.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:"... all 43 teams..." :?:
I assume "4-3"
Thanks for the info about Arthur Brown. It's interesting and he's a very intriguing player but I've read that he lacks the potential to get much bigger and that could be a concern. Skill, talent and production are extremely important but can a 6' 1", 230 lb. LB hold up and be an effective run defender or cover TEs in the NFL? I'm not ruling it out, I'm just asking. It's one thing to shed blocks in the Big 12, it's another to be able to get off blocks in the NFL and bring down the likes of Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore and Ray Rice.
Sure, but I've read that he's been consistent taking down guys that weigh more than he does, which tells me something. Provided he has the tackling ability of an Antione Winfield (not saying that he does as I haven't seen him play), it's not out of the realm of possibility to believe he can get the job done. The bigger concern, to me, is these TEs that are 6'6-6'7. A lot has to do with technique, timing and leaping ability. Heck, Patrick Willis is only 6'1 and he seems to get the job done more often than not. Only listed 10 pounds heavier.

Like I mentioned, I haven't seen him play so I really am just relying on what I've read.

Some videos, if interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-T1T3YuyNY

Three words come to mind: aggressive, fast and instinctual.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: I assume "4-3"
Of course! I really should have been able to figure that out on my own. :oops:
Sure, but I've read that he's been consistent taking down guys that weigh more than he does, which tells me something. Provided he has the tackling ability of an Antione Winfield (not saying that he does as I haven't seen him play), it's not out of the realm of possibility to believe he can get the job done.
I agree and but even if he has Winfield-like tackling ability, I think the bigger question (in terms of run defense) is if he can get off blocks well enough and hold up at a very physical position over the course of the longer NFL season. Maybe he can...

Another scouting report had this to say about his weaknesses:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2539245
Simply lacks size, in terms of height, length and bulk. Engulfed by larger linemen in the run game if his hands aren’t up, finds it hard to disengage against better players. Might have match-up difficulties against NFL tight ends in coverage. Doesn’t chase down ballcarriers from behind as regularly as expected given his timed speed.
However, they had far more to say about his strengths, which is a good sign.
The bigger concern, to me, is these TEs that are 6'6-6'7. A lot has to do with technique, timing and leaping ability. Heck, Patrick Willis is only 6'1 and he seems to get the job done more often than not. Only listed 10 pounds heavier.
D'Qwell Jackson's about the same height and only 10 lbs. heavier too so it's certainly not impossible that Brown could be a good (or great) player at the next level.
Like I mentioned, I haven't seen him play so I really am just relying on what I've read.

Some videos, if interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-T1T3YuyNY

Three words come to mind: aggressive, fast and instinctual.
Those are great attributes to have in a LB and I tend to believe performance trumps measurables so I'm definitely intrigued. He looks more like a strong safety than an LB but he can clearly play. I suspect he'd be better on the outside than on the inside in a 4-3.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Josh Norris' mock: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-draf ... ris/155112

One of the more interesting ones I've seen so far.

The Vikings select DT Johnathan Hankins -- Ohio State: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2540147
The Ohio State junior is far from a complete product; in fact, his 2011 tape is better than this past season's. However, Hankins flashes strength to penetrate and the necessary foot quickness to get upfield.
Hankins is the third DT off the board. Patterson goes #1 for WRs with Keenan Allen #2. OG Chance Warmack lasts until 16 and I do wonder if the Vikings move up if he's available in the 19-20 range. Vaccaro goes #10 overall, which I don't think will happen. He'll go later than that. T'eo goes #29. Ogletree not even drafted in the first round (Jarvis Jones and Arthur Brown go before him).

Edit: The NFL.com guys are split between WR and DT for the Vikes: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts

Justin Hunter (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2540151), Sheldon Richardson (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2540142) or Sharrif Floyd (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2540150).
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

dead_poet wrote:Josh Norris' mock: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-draf ... ris/155112

One of the more interesting ones I've seen so far.

The Vikings select DT Johnathan Hankins -- Ohio State: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2540147
Hankins is the third DT off the board. Patterson goes #1 for WRs with Keenan Allen #2. OG Chance Warmack lasts until 16 and I do wonder if the Vikings move up if he's available in the 19-20 range. Vaccaro goes #10 overall, which I don't think will happen. He'll go later than that. T'eo goes #29. Ogletree not even drafted in the first round (Jarvis Jones and Arthur Brown go before him).

Edit: The NFL.com guys are split between WR and DT for the Vikes: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts

Justin Hunter (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2540151), Sheldon Richardson (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2540142) or Sharrif Floyd (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2540150).
I don't think I understand the obsession with people picking a DT for the Vikings; Could the DT position be upgraded, of course, but it's far from the weakest link along the Viking's defense. Now, if a highly rated DT happens to fall and is the BPA by far, then sure go for it, but the Vikings could also use an upgrade at WR, LB, OL and CB. Out of those 4 positions I'm sure there will be a BPA at one of those spots for the Vikings to pick.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

MrPurplenGold wrote:I don't think I understand the obsession with people picking a DT for the Vikings; Could the DT position be upgraded, of course, but it's far from the weakest link along the Viking's defense. Now, if a highly rated DT happens to fall and is the BPA by far, then sure go for it, but the Vikings could also use an upgrade at WR, LB, OL and CB. Out of those 4 positions I'm sure there will be a BPA at one of those spots for the Vikings to pick.
Is there really an obsession? ;)

Just kidding... the interest in drafting a DT comes from two places:

1.) There's a lot of DT talent in this draft so the Vikes might be able to get good value on a starting-caliber DT.

2.) It's indicative of long term thinking. DT might not be the weakest link along the Vikings d-line but take Kevin Williams (who will be 33 in August) out of the picture at some point in the next few years and suddenly, that might look like a big need. It could be argued that he's really the only true starting-caliber DT on the roster right now and that the other position has been filled by role-players.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Passing on Te'o in that scenario would be a big mistake IMO.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Mothman wrote: Is there really an obsession? ;)

Just kidding... the interest in drafting a DT comes from two places:

1.) There's a lot of DT talent in this draft so the Vikes might be able to get good value on a starting-caliber DT.

2.) It's indicative of long term thinking. DT might not be the weakest link along the Vikings d-line but take Kevin Williams (who will be 33 in August) out of the picture at some point in the next few years and suddenly, that might look like a big need. It could be argued that he's really the only true starting-caliber DT on the roster right now and that the other position has been filled by role-players.

WR and DT seem to be the only two positions most draft analyst think the Vikings will go and I just don't understand why they believe the DT position seems to be a 1st round need. I understand the position of long term thinking. Kevin Williams is 33 years old and he is on the decline, but the Vikings have average to above average starters and or role players, Allen, Robison, Williams and Griffen, all whom are under contract this year. Whereas we have 1 starting LB under contract, 2-CB's who have been missed significant time over the past 3 seasons in Cook and Winfield, a WR corps where the leading receiver missed the entire second half of the year. Yes, it's forward thinking to develop a plan to replace aging veterans, but you also have to plug the holes that you have now. Now of course if a special talent at DT falls to the Vikings at 22 then by all means. Randy Moss and AD are both examples of picking an excellent player where the need is not there, but they are both skill position players. I don't think an above average DT could have the type of affect that an above average WR or CB can have.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

MrPurplenGold wrote:WR and DT seem to be the only two positions most draft analyst think the Vikings will go and I just don't understand why they believe the DT position seems to be a 1st round need. I understand the position of long term thinking. Kevin Williams is 33 years old and he is on the decline, but the Vikings have average to above average starters and or role players, Allen, Robison, Williams and Griffen, all whom are under contract this year. Whereas we have 1 starting LB under contract, 2-CB's who have been missed significant time over the past 3 seasons in Cook and Winfield, a WR corps where the leading receiver missed the entire second half of the year. Yes, it's forward thinking to develop a plan to replace aging veterans, but you also have to plug the holes that you have now. Now of course if a special talent at DT falls to the Vikings at 22 then by all means. Randy Moss and AD are both examples of picking an excellent player where the need is not there, but they are both skill position players. I don't think an above average DT could have the type of affect that an above average WR or CB can have.
Maybe it's an indication of how the people putting together the mock drafts view the talent levels at LB, DT and WR. I think anyone paying attention can see that LB is a need for the Vikes so if a lot of mock drafts have them picking a DT or WR, perhaps the explanation is that they think there's better talent available at those positions when the Vikes pick in R1.

I don't know. I don't pay much attention to mock drafts at this time of year anyway. :)