Draft in April

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Draft in April

Post by Purple bruise »

Eli wrote: Do conversations that begin with "Who is this guy? I've never heard of him before. He's fast, but has he done anything on the field?" make someone a "hot" name?
Just because you have never heard of him then he must not be worth a high pick :confused: Those of us that watch and keep in tune with college football certainly know about him and he is a very good CB with a very high ceiling and I would definately like him as a Viking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh39T7YQ3VY
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

D.J. Hayden - DB - Player

The Sideline View's Adam Caplan reports Houston CB D.J. Hayden (heart) has received a clean bill of health from "various teams."

Hayden's heart issue — a torn inferior vena cava — was called the "most unique injury in the history of the draft" by a Packers executive, but he's getting good news in his team physicals after checking out at the Combine. Allaying concerns about his health would make Hayden a real candidate to go on day one.
Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Matt Elam - DB - Gators

NFL Films' Greg Cosell writes that NFL teams will view Florida S Matt Elam as a Bob Sanders type.

"In the base defense, he played both single high and 2-deep. It was not hard to like Elam. He was active, aggressive and competitive," Cosell wrote. "He covered, and he hit, with striking ability and force. He flashed explosive traits as an athletic and physical defender with multiple and interchangeable attributes to play effectively both in the box, and deep. The one concern, and it returns to what I discussed earlier, is man coverage versus tight ends. That’s where his lack of height comes into play. Elam is one of several players whose draft position I am anxious to see. Will teams see him as a Bob Sanders type player whose overall impact outweighs his potential coverage limitation? My guess is, yes."
Source: Yahoo! Sports
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

As many of us have been observing.

Mocking the 2013 NFL Mock Drafts: A Second Level Look at Tiers and Players
Mock drafts are usually prepared by one person, maybe a couple. They may contain the views of one (often very smart/researched) individual, but still the views of one. I decided to look at a variety of mock drafts, available on a number of sites including nfl.com, cbssports.com, and ESPN. I ultimately found 20 different mocks that had 32 selections or player rankings for this draft, most updated in the last week. I then used a random order generator to select the draft order of the twenty mocks, and assigned the top listed remaining pick when the turn came up.

This, then, is a second order mock of the mock drafts, combining different viewpoints. What this is not is an attempt to assign specific needs to teams when they were on the clock; some of the individual picks may not make sense for a particular team. Look at it more for the range, and keep in mind that the real draft consists of trades and 32 different views, not just 20.

This exercise reveals a couple of things. The primary thing is how diverse the views are and how deep the late first round and second round is perceived to be. Sixty-one different players appear in at least one of the mock drafts used. I also list the ranking that the particular selector had on that player, so we can see where tiers take off.
See the list here: http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/201 ... d-players/
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

Anyone else think that Gerhart may be a piece in a trade in this years draft? maybe him and a pick for a 2nd round?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

big deli Vike wrote:Anyone else think that Gerhart may be a piece in a trade in this years draft? maybe him and a pick for a 2nd round?
I doubt it. He's not a bad guy to lean on if Peterson goes down. Didn't really show much last season. I think he has more value to the Vikes than he does anywhere else. But it doesn't hurt to listen if someone wants to make your day.
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

yeah i agree. I love having him behind AP. the guy was a heisman finalist and when he's come in he's done well minus some fumbles. so who knows.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I can't stand Toby. :lol: He's serviceable, I suppose, but he's like a big slab of meat with legs. He rarely breaks tackles and displays zero agility.

I have seriously had low key hope that Minnesota does something crazy and drafts Lattimore in the 3rd or even 2nd round, despite team need just because of how good Marcus can be and how much I don't care for Toby.

If Minnesota wants to win by running the football then let's win by running that rock all damn day baby!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Yeah they could cut Toby tomorrow and not much more than a shrug of the shoulders. We can upgrade him in free agency or anywhere in the mid to late rounds. Would be nice to have someone with some speed and receiving ability. But I guess we need that third down blocker for our compressed offense.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Jarvis Jones - LB - Bulldogs

NFL network's Daniel Jeremiah listed Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones, Alabama G Chance Warmack, and WR Keenan Allen as three of the most consistent prospects on tape.

Jeremiah notes that each had poor workout numbers. All three will be case studies regarding the dominance on tape or in shorts when working out. Jones' production was great, but he won with a great jump off the snap and a good motor to chase down. His lack of athleticism might hurt him more than the other two.
Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Vikings should draft glennon. he is a more athletic ryan mallet. if ponder fails this year which might happen at least the Vikings would have a plan B. :smilevike:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

hibbingviking wrote:Vikings should draft glennon. he is a more athletic ryan mallet. if ponder fails this year which might happen at least the Vikings would have a plan B. :smilevike:
Glennon's a statue and he's not built to withstand punishment either. I don't think he'd make a good Plan B.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:He's rubbish and Asiata is a superior RB, but nobody would give us anything for Toby Gerhart. I won't be surprised if he is out of the NFL once his rookie deal is up. But sure, I'd take a 7th rounder for him and use it on another RB if a team was willing.
That's rubbish. Gerhart's a good football player and unless he was seriously injured or unexpectedly decided to leave football, the idea that he would be out of the NFL after his rookie contract is up is laughable. He may never be a full-time, full-season starter because he doesn't have the speed teams look for in a starting back but he's a versatile player with a 4.3 average as a career backup behind the best RB in the game. In that limited role, he's accounted for 1500 yards and 3 TDs in 3 seasons. Those are more than respectable NFL numbers. I don't know how much the Vikes could get for Gerhart in trade but if they released him tomorrow, I have absolutely no doubt he'd end up on another NFL roster.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

fiestavike wrote: He's rubbish and Asiata is a superior RB, but nobody would give us anything for Toby Gerhart. I won't be surprised if he is out of the NFL once his rookie deal is up. But sure, I'd take a 7th rounder for him and use it on another RB if a team was willing.
:point:
Not sure which Toby Gerhart your talking about :?: Do you mean the one who was second in the Heismen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXyTCJ2yTP8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Z9no1x8VE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs_w82IFzdQ
Gerhart would be a 1000 yard rusher if he played as a full time player.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I'm not sure how you have ascertained that he "would" rush for 1,000 yards as a full time player. I suspect he would not finish the season. He has no wiggle and essentially no upside from where he is. In today's NFL with inexpensive rookie contracts who wants to bring in a toby gerhart to take snaps from younger players with the potential to actually develop into starters. You can see how this league is going for players who have plateaued. A player like Asiata has better skills as a runner and much greater upside for much less $. Don't be surprised to see Toby given his walking papers before this season starts, especially if the vikings draft a rb in the mid to late rounds.
Again, I think you're way out on a limb here. It's extremely unlikely Gerhart will be given his walking papers before the season starts. He's the team's third down back and a proven backup. Why would they cut him? If you don't like Gerhart's game, that's understandable but you seem to be letting that significantly skew your perception of his value. He's not rubbish, he's not likely to be cut this summer and he's even less likely to be out of the NFL after his rookie contract is up.

If Asiata has better skills than Gerhart as a runner, he certainly hasn't put them on display.