Why not Blackmon?

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

BengalHawk62
Waterboy

Why not Blackmon?

Post by BengalHawk62 »

To say the Vikings are lacking playmakers is an understatement. Why not go out and grab one of the best receivers in the draft? Honestly, if I were the GM, I'd try everything to trade out of the pick to pick up more talent in the top 2-3 rounds. But, being the fan of the Bengals that I am, I totally understand how hard it is to trade out of the top couple picks of a draft. :wink: So, if your stuck with it, why not try to make the most of it with an 'explosive' player? You can always find solid OL later in the draft. You can't always find a WR playmaker.

Or, some more food for though. Take Richardson? Heck, why not? Throw a wrench in this draft! besides, taking a top pick now a days, doesn't cost a team like it used to if their top pick didn't pan out. And, is everyone really sure AP is coming back 100%? After you tear an ACL, its really hard to make back to what you were before. Take Richardson for insurance purposes and then work on your OL and secondary later. If you take Richardson, i guarantee teams are going to be on the phone begging for a trade.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Why not Blackmon?

Post by Eli »

BengalHawk62 wrote:To say the Vikings are lacking playmakers is an understatement.
Or an overstatement. They have Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin, as well as some talented tight ends. They do need a #1 WR, but as a team that is rebuilding, they have larger needs. They need to become an order of magnitude better on the offensive line, and they desperately need help in their defensive secondary.

They're likely to have another top 10 pick next year. They can look for a WR then, if some other position (like defensive tackle, guard or linebacker) doesn't take precedence.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Because a slow barely over six foot receiver is rarely a playmaker.

And it's hard to judge on production on an offense that throws the ball like that. More likely he ends up another Crabtree than anything.
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

Demi wrote:Because a slow barely over six foot receiver is rarely a playmaker.

And it's hard to judge on production on an offense that throws the ball like that. More likely he ends up another Crabtree than anything.
I agree with the first part of what you're saying demi... Blackman just is not a top 5 talent (maybe even top 7 talent). He's just not Calvin Johnson or Fitzgerald coming out of school. That's how good you have to be to be taken in the top 5. There's potential he's not going to be a stud.

That being said. I don't know if I would say he's automatically Crabtree. It's just that he's not a lock to be a top talent. I see him as a great value around pick 10 of this draft. Problem is... we draft 3rd.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

he's roddy smiths and ochocincos size with less skill. he may be an average receiver at the nfl level. he wont out physical nfl db's.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

He was arrested in June for aggravated DUI but showed up in his NFL debut and shined. I will stand by the Kalil pick.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.