Page 1 of 3

Have To Admit

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:13 pm
by greenandgold
Your team drafted well.

But my team did not do too bad considering our low positions in the draft.

Re: Have To Admit

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:17 pm
by frosted
greenandgold wrote:Your team drafted well.

But my team did not do too bad considering our low positions in the draft.
Since we're admitting things, I have to admit I'm jealous that you folks got Clinton-Dix. I think he will be a hell of a player.

Re: Have To Admit

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:08 pm
by greenandgold
frosted21 wrote: Since we're admitting things, I have to admit I'm jealous that you folks got Clinton-Dix. I think he will be a hell of a player.
I'm doubled spoiled since I now live in Alabama. Clintin-Dix now, Lacy before.

Re: Have To Admit

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:07 pm
by Cliff
WTF kind of smack is this, guys? :lol:

Re: Have To Admit

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:15 pm
by dead_poet
Cliff wrote:WTF kind of smack is this, guys? :lol:
Are you talking smack at the smack talk?

Re: Have To Admit

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:47 am
by Cliff
dead_poet wrote: Are you talking smack at the smack talk?
I am. I am smack talking the smack talk that was talked.

Re: Have To Admit

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:45 pm
by King James
I was watching the Football Life of Vince Lombardi today on the NFL Network and I must admit, it brought a tear to my eye. Most fans here get so hyped up about Bud "I can win every game except the Superbowl" Grant, and make it seems like he is so great, but to be great you have to like Lombardi. If there was a Great Coaches who never won a super bowl list, he'd definitely be in the top though. But great coaches overall win championships/super bowls. I remember watching the part about how the Packers lost their first championship with him and afterwards he told him that they would never lose another championship again. Now that's dedication. This guy really loved football to the point where it probably affected his health, but that also explains how great his teams were. The players not only looked to him as a coach but probably a father figure too. He was a coach who demanded perfection. It didn't matter how cold it was or how hot it was, they knew it was win or get chewed out later. If only we had a coach like Lombardi back in the day. He was everything you can ask for in a coach. There were no excuses, just win or lose!

Re: Have To Admit

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:42 am
by Just Me
King James wrote:But great coaches overall win championships/super bowls.
Grant won several Championships (as an NBA player with the Lakers and as a HC with the CFL). That is to take nothing away from Lombardi's legacy. (It is called the Lombardi Trophy for a reason). But to suggest that Grant never won a Championship as a coach is inaccurate. He won 4 CFL championships as a coach. If you are meaning to convey you can't be a great coach unless you win a Super Bowl then that seems unnecessarily restrictive to me.

I would say that Grant was a great coach who failed to win an NFL Super Bowl. Lomabardi was a great coach who won the first two Super Bowls (and 5 total Championships IIRC) - That speaks for itself.

Re: Have To Admit

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:04 pm
by King James
Let's also not forget that Lombardi always finished a season above .500. That also says alot. But yeah Grant was the man in the CFL. Great in the NFL, just not in the postseason. I'm not talking about super bowls either, I'm saying in the postseason overall. He is 10-12 in the postseason. Going to the post season itself is an accomplishment, especially that many times. It just bothers me that we couldn't demonstrate that same dominance in the post season. I've seen a few tapes from back in that era. Some people say that we lost to better teams. To me I think the Vikings were the better teams in most of those seasons, it's just that teams readjusted to our weakness and we made no effort to readjust ourselves.

Re: Have To Admit

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:06 pm
by Purpnation
King James wrote:Let's also not forget that Lombardi always finished a season above .500. That also says alot. But yeah Grant was the man in the CFL. Great in the NFL, just not in the postseason. I'm not talking about super bowls either, I'm saying in the postseason overall. He is 10-12 in the postseason. Going to the post season itself is an accomplishment, especially that many times. It just bothers me that we couldn't demonstrate that same dominance in the post season. I've seen a few tapes from back in that era. Some people say that we lost to better teams. To me I think the Vikings were the better teams in most of those seasons, it's just that teams readjusted to our weakness and we made no effort to readjust ourselves.
I'm with you King James, Grant was a "Great" Head coach the same way that Schottenheimer was a "Great" head coach. Regular season success does not a great coach make.

Hopefully Zimmer will be that slice of greatness we so desperately desire.

Re: Have To Admit

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:57 pm
by HardcoreVikesFan
Purpnation wrote: I'm with you King James, Grant was a "Great" Head coach the same way that Schottenheimer was a "Great" head coach. Regular season success does not a great coach make.

Hopefully Zimmer will be that slice of greatness we so desperately desire.
Yeah.. except that, unlike Schottenheimer, Bud could actually win in the post season - just never the Super Bowl. It is really too bad that Bud never won a Super Bowl - the guy was a great coach. I am sure it was a fun time to watch those old Vikings teams back in the day.

Re: Have To Admit

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:59 pm
by Purpnation
HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Yeah.. except that, unlike Schottenheimer, Bud could actually win in the post season - just never the Super Bowl. It is really too bad that Bud never won a Super Bowl - the guy was a great coach. I am sure it was a fun time to watch those old Vikings teams back in the day.

Unfortunately, post season wins don't mean ####. Great coaches win SBs, especially with the talent he had at his disposal.

Re: Have To Admit

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:08 pm
by King James
Purpnation wrote: Great coaches win SBs, especially with the talent he had at his disposal.
OMG, FINALLY SOMEONE WHO GETS IT!!!!!!!! I've been preaching this for the longest.

Re: Have To Admit

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:46 am
by Purple bruise
r Bowl - the guy was a great coach. I am sure it was a fun time to watch those old Vikings teams back in the day.[/quote]


Unfortunately, post season wins don't mean ####. Great coaches win SBs, especially with the talent he had at his disposal.[/quote]

So Gruden and Billick should both be considered "Great Coaches" because they won a Super Bowl :nono: Not hardly :!:

Re: Have To Admit

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:50 am
by King James
Purple bruise wrote:r Bowl - the guy was a great coach. I am sure it was a fun time to watch those old Vikings teams back in the day.

Unfortunately, post season wins don't mean ####. Great coaches win SBs, especially with the talent he had at his disposal.[/quote]

So Gruden and Billick should both be considered "Great Coaches" because they won a Super Bowl :nono: Not hardly :!:[/quote]

Gruden won off a team already built by Dungy. He reminds me of Mike Tomlin. Another guy who won off a roster already built by the previous coach. Billick only had 3 bad seasons. The GM was too impatient. He could have been great. But they got an even greater coach in Harbaugh.