View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Why Do The Vikings Love To Overpay Ex-Packers Players? 
Starter

Post Re: Why Do The Vikings Love To Overpay Ex-Packers Players?
JEC334 wrote:
Yeah, last time I checked the NFL is a business. Why pass up on a guy who can potentially help our passing game just because he played with a rival in the past? I like how the Vikes give credit where it's due and give players a shot despite what team they came from. All of the players we have gotten prior to this season have had great seasons with us.

To you it may be overpaying, but with the cap-room we had, and the lack of depth at WR, I saw know wrong with getting Jennings. It was either him or Mike Wallace and I bet with him we would have had to fork over way more money than we paid for Jennings.

I think Jennings was a solid pick up for the Vikings, adding a proven veteran in an area of need isn't a bad thing. In fact, I like that he clearly has feelings of resentment for the Packers organization, just like that old fella that preceded Aaron Rodgers, I like that he feels strongly enough to speak up, I just love that edge to the game.

But Wallace would have been deadly, it remains to be seen if he would have been a better fit
for the Vikes but that's just my opinion. I think Wallace and Peterson on the same field would be insane to deal with, and Jennings simply isn't the presence Wallace is.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:58 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandallioCobb18 wrote:
What do you call a Vikings with a Superbowl ring? An ex Packer.

You're a comedian, too? :lol: Aww shucks!

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandallioCobb18 wrote:
MelanieMFunk wrote:
Oh, so we sign former Packers players just because they were Packers players?

Good logic. :thumbsup: Watch out; if your head gets much bigger it might just explode! ;)

No, no, not JUST because they played for the Packers, I simply feel they feel more inclined to do so, yes, to stick it to the Packers. Tom Coughlin purposefully signed former Steelers, during his time as the Jaguars HC, it was all aiding an effort to establish to the team who the targets were, who the king in that division was, and who needed to be beat.

And lets face it, even your management knows who the king of the NFCN is, and its not the purple failures with the massive inferiority complex.

Well, that's the way you make it sound with your "inferiority complex" nonsense. And--it IS nonsense.

Stick it to the Packers? Please. Or, ya know, we simply sign players to fill our needs. And, ya know, maybe we are more familiar with Packers players because we play them so much and truly know what they are/aren't capable of. It's not so much inferiority as it is familiarity. It's more about being comfortable with the signing. But, keep dreamin' there, pal. Your "logic" is actually pretty funny!

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
All Pro Elite Player

I tell can you atleast from a fans perspective, that we do not sign ex-Packers to stick it to the Packers. The only reason we signed Favre because Brad Childress our former HC was almost out of the job that year and signing Favre basically helped save his job for a little while longer. We only signed him out of desperation because this team wanted to make a super bowl run but we didn't have a decent QB. Our current two weren't going to get it done, and of course the Vikings weren't going to draft one any time soon, so convincing Favre to come back was their final option.

Same for Jennings. We signed him because we just lost our start WR Percy Harvin and our WR depth was looking atrocious. I didn't care if we got Wallace or Jennings, as long as one of them came to Minny. As soon as the FA started, Wallace didn't hesitate to sign with Miami so that left us with Jennings. Jennings is basically here as a mentor to our younger WR like Patterson and try to give Ponder a better weapon to throw to.

Im not in denial either, I know both Favre and Jennings had ill feelings for the Packers. That's why I wish Jennings will shut up and just focus on trying to make this offense better. The Vikings have nothing to do with how they feel, we can still beat the Pack with or without them and we have before. We just want a super bowl!!!! :thumbsup:

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:01 am
Veteran

I never said you sign players just to stick it to the Packers. I just kind of wonder why you all pay the big bucks we refuse to to ex packers players.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:37 am
All Pro Elite Player

greenandgold wrote:
I never said you sign players just to stick it to the Packers. I just kind of wonder why you all pay the big bucks we refuse to to ex packers players.

To be fair, I think the Packers have a great WR corps so they didn't really need Jennings. But if you were in our shoes and had a mediocre WR corps you would go spend some big money on a proven veteran player. Jennings is a definite upgrade over what we had left after the loss of Percy Harvin.

Time will eventually tell whether he was worth the big contract or not. But its too early to predict.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:11 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

greenandgold wrote:

Simple. The Packers feel those players are no longer worthy of paying good money to. So the Vikings sign them. Funny thing is, I have never heard a Packer fan complain about another team signing a player the Packers no longer wanted to a big contract. It's only when the Vikings sign one, then it's all about the Vikings taking the Packers seconds. Longwell was such a second rate player. The Packers went through, what 2-3 placekickers before they found one that was halfway decent. Packer fans forget that the Packers have signed many ex-Vikings.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:46 pm
Veteran

Raptorman wrote:
greenandgold wrote:

Simple. The Packers feel those players are no longer worthy of paying good money to. So the Vikings sign them. Funny thing is, I have never heard a Packer fan complain about another team signing a player the Packers no longer wanted to a big contract. It's only when the Vikings sign one, then it's all about the Vikings taking the Packers seconds. Longwell was such a second rate player. The Packers went through, what 2-3 placekickers before they found one that was halfway decent. Packer fans forget that the Packers have signed many ex-Vikings.

Just wonder why your team loves the Packer rejects. I really don't care much where they go.............unless it's to the BEARS!

Now that team I have some serious hate for.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:52 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

greenandgold wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
greenandgold wrote:

Just wonder why your team loves the Packer rejects. I really don't care much where they go.............unless it's to the BEARS!

Now that team I have some serious hate for.

Well to be fair, the number of players that played on one team and signed with the other over the years is about even. Only the Vikings in the last few years have signed ex-Packers that the Packers no longer wanted to pay. The only reason Longwell was let go was because the Packers did not want to pay him. And you also have to remember that TT is not a fan of signing FA's. Although the past few years I think this has hurt the Packer more then it has helped.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2