Vikings working out Everson Griffen

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings working out Everson Griffen

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:59 am Griff has really-signed with the Vikes. So now Weatherly will be gone. Backup DEs of Wonnum, Jones and Robinson
I have my doubts that Weatherly will go from starter to cut. Here's the latest from Mike zimmer.

Mike Zimmer said Everson Griffen would join the Vikings as a situational player. Said they talked with Griffen for quite a while and felt like he’s in a good place. But Zimmer said either Weatherly or Wonnum will be the starter.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:03 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:59 am Griff has really-signed with the Vikes. So now Weatherly will be gone. Backup DEs of Wonnum, Jones and Robinson
THIS actually matters. We had half the pressures Pitt had in their first two preseason games without TJ Watt and 8 fewer sacks at 0.
The Vikings needed a pass rusher outside of Hunter and now they have one.
Oh I agree. I've wanted Griff back since day 1. The guy still has juice and knows this scheme. This is a guy that belongs on the opposite side of Hunter while rookies continue to learn and play in a rotational role. This is how guys like Griff and Hunter emerged early in their careers. All I was simply saying is that, if it was down to Weatherly, Wonnum, and Jones, I'd take Wonnum and Jones on a rotation any day of the week. I simply dont want Weatherly starting, he shouldnt be starting and if he's in a rotation, he should be the last guy onto the field.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I am happy to have Everson back! Welcome back Everson! :thumbsup:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

The Vikings also placed rookie defensive end Janarius Robinson on injured reserve. Robinson was one of the Vikings’ fourth-round picks in this past April’s draft. I’m not sure when he suffered an injury, but his season is done. Because he went on injured reserve before the season started, he is not eligible to return, so we won’t see him again before 2022.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I see Kamal Martin was cut by GB. Wonder if the Vikings might want to kick the tires on a local kid who might be an upgrade to the tail end of the LBs on the roster.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Happy to have him back as a rotational piece. Hopefully one of the young guys can step up and earn the lion's share of snaps.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:16 pm I see Kamal Martin was cut by GB. Wonder if the Vikings might want to kick the tires on a local kid who might be an upgrade to the tail end of the LBs on the roster.
Please no more ex-Packers, they usually suck when ex-Packers signed with Vikings
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:27 pm
fiestavike wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:16 pm I see Kamal Martin was cut by GB. Wonder if the Vikings might want to kick the tires on a local kid who might be an upgrade to the tail end of the LBs on the roster.
Please no more ex-Packers, they usually suck when ex-Packers signed with Vikings
Not sure about the validity of that analysis, but I was thinking of him more as an ex gopher than an ex packer. He only spent 1 year in GB.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

What was wrong with Farve? We might wind up with Rodgers for a couple seasons. Same deal one good and one worthless.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

CharVike wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:52 am

What was wrong with Farve? We might wind up with Rodgers for a couple seasons. Same deal one good and one worthless.
There is nothing wrong with Favre, he is the only ex-Packer to make an impact with Vikings
TheCoolerOne
Transition Player

Post by TheCoolerOne »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:29 am
CharVike wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:52 am
There is nothing wrong with Favre, he is the only ex-Packer to make an impact with Vikings
Don't just say things.

Darren Sharper 5 years, 18 picks, 3 TDs, 2 Pro Bowls
Ryan Longwell 6 years, 86% FG, 97% XP, frankly best kicker Vikings have had in twenty years
Greg Jennings 2 years, 1550 receiving yards, 10 TDs

Can you even name three others?
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

TheCoolerOne wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:52 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:29 am

Don't just say things.

Ryan Longwell 6 years, 86% FG, 97% XP, frankly best kicker Vikings have had in twenty years

Darren Sharper does not exist since he is a rapist, I will give you Longwell, Jennings is above average and nothing special
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:32 am
TheCoolerOne wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:52 am

Don't just say things.

Darren Sharper does not exist since he is a rapist, I will give you Longwell, Jennings is above average and nothing special
Him being a rapist doesn't erase his stats, just as OJ being a murderer doesn't change his.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:19 pm
I have my doubts that Weatherly will go from starter to cut. Here's the latest from Mike zimmer.

Mike Zimmer said Everson Griffen would join the Vikings as a situational player. Said they talked with Griffen for quite a while and felt like he’s in a good place. But Zimmer said either Weatherly or Wonnum will be the starter.
I'm surprised that Weatherly hasn't looked better than he has so far. I thought he had a pretty good chance to win the starting job coming in given his experience and natural ability, but he's looked lost and largely ineffective. I can't say Wonnum has been much better, either, but he's at least got the youth and inexperience excuse to fall back on.

I wonder if Zimmer gives Griffen a chance to win the starting job outright. I know he's a bit up there in years now and maybe can't get it done in a starting role for an entire season, but if he looks like he can do it I'd be really tempted to give him that chance.

I don't know if Weatherly ends up cut in that scenario, but for what they're paying him I'd say it would be likely he will be.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:59 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:19 pm

I'm surprised that Weatherly hasn't looked better than he has so far. I thought he had a pretty good chance to win the starting job coming in given his experience and natural ability, but he's looked lost and largely ineffective.
So he has looked like he has his entire career.