Vikings Interested in Shaquill Griffen

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Vikings Interested in Shaquill Griffen

Post by Rhodes Closed »

https://twitter.com/ChadGraff/status/13 ... 9183336451

Aside from the Thuney news before he was signed, the Vikings are heavily interested in Shaquill Griffen.

I hope we get him on a good deal. He'd be an excellent get for Minnesota's defense as they need some good CB players.

Why are you getting me excited for defense, damn you! :oops:
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings Interested in Shaquill Griffen

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Not sure if they have enough left for him after Tomlinson but it would be sweet. I like Horn, Surtain, and Paye as options at 14. Rousseau I'm a little worried about bust potential but he could be the best out of them all.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I can see Horn or Surtain really becoming the pick now at 14. This would allow Hughes to become the PR and KR while being the Dime back ! This could be a really good signing for this defense. Could become a legit game changing signing !
Just need those 2 to stay healthy in the middle.
However, for a curveball.... I would really like to see us add a Jamarr Chase, DeVonta Smith, or Jaylen Waddle at 14 now !!!
But as someone else had mentioned.... What is our offensive identity ?
Are we a running team with an expensive QB? Are we a passing team with an expensive RB? Do we need a high octane WR corps?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

IIsweet wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:52 am I can see Horn or Surtain really becoming the pick now at 14. This would allow Hughes to become the PR and KR while being the Dime back ! This could be a really good signing for this defense. Could become a legit game changing signing !
However, for a curveball.... I would really like to see us add a Jamarr Chase, DeVonta Smith, or Jaylen Waddle at 14 now !!!
Are we a running team with an expensive QB? Are we a passing team with an expensive RB? Do we need a high octane WR corps?
With the cap allocation to QB and RB what it is, the vikings need to fill needs by drafting players who can competently fill them cheaply. Might as well trade back and pick up lots of ammo to try to find those players.

Either that or move up and get a QB so they can move on from Cousins ASAP and reset their cap situation. Maybe trading away Danielle Hunter will allow them to do that.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:06 am
IIsweet wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:52 am I can see Horn or Surtain really becoming the pick now at 14. This would allow Hughes to become the PR and KR while being the Dime back ! This could be a really good signing for this defense. Could become a legit game changing signing !
With the cap allocation to QB and RB what it is, the vikings need to fill needs by drafting players who can competently fill them cheaply. Might as well trade back and pick up lots of ammo to try to find those players.

Either that or move up and get a QB so they can move on from Cousins ASAP and reset their cap situation. Maybe trading away Danielle Hunter will allow them to do that.
I said the same thing about QB/Hunter in another post. If they can move up getting a guy they really like then that has to be the deal. No more Fing around. This is a strong QB class and were not dealing up from the 20ish pick. Even if Barr needs to be attached with Hunter who cares. If you get that golden QB, Rodgers Mahomes mold, the rest of the team doesn't really need to be that strong. Plus they can deal Cousins at that point. Regardless of the opinions about him he's worth what Stafford was IMO. And many teams need a QB like SF. But seeing how some of us thought about the same thing it will never happen. It will be a trade down from 14 to 20 something and getting a late 2nd and some late who cares picks. That is what will happen. Don't expect the explosion.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

CharVike wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:37 am

I said the same thing about QB/Hunter in another post. If they can move up getting a guy they really like then that has to be the deal. No more Fing around. This is a strong QB class and were not dealing up from the 20ish pick. Even if Barr needs to be attached with Hunter who cares. If you get that golden QB, Rodgers Mahomes mold, the rest of the team doesn't really need to be that strong. Plus they can deal Cousins at that point. Regardless of the opinions about him he's worth what Stafford was IMO. And many teams need a QB like SF. But seeing how some of us thought about the same thing it will never happen. It will be a trade down from 14 to 20 something and getting a late 2nd and some late who cares picks. That is what will happen. Don't expect the explosion.
I'm one of the few who likes the trade back option, although it didn't make much sense last year with covid, no camp, etc. As a rule, I think its a solid approach. Outside of your blue chip players, and then your second tier sure things, there is not a whole lot that separates a huge swath of draftable players. They all have traits that provide hope, and they all have red flags of one kind or another. More picks in that tier increases the odds of finding gems.

If Hunter forces the issue, I think he'd fetch a WHOLE lot more than Kirk Cousins on the trade market, and I'd be okay with that. Draft a QB and let Kirk finish out his career here as best he can.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

One point I missed. Why do we need to be a run team or a pass team? Whats wrong with being balanced? We have that now. I wouldn't bust it up to go one way or the other. We don't have a chance with this sive D we have. Let's focus on that.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

CharVike wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:07 am
One point I missed. Why do we need to be a run team or a pass team? Whats wrong with being balanced? We have that now. I wouldn't bust it up to go one way or the other. We don't have a chance with this sive D we have. Let's focus on that.
You make a good point. We do have a pretty balanced offensive attack, though I'd love to see them be able to force the issue in the run game a bit more. The Offense is good enough to beat up on weaker defenses, don't think its a playoff O unless they can meet a team strength for strength in some part of the game and know they'll be able to win that part of the game. We'll never be able to do that with Kirk Cousins, so my hope is in the running game. So far we can't do that with any consistency in any part of our offensive game.

But its possible to make the defense into that part of our team where we can meet another team strength for strength and know we have an edge over them...we're a long way from it right now, but the offense is 'good enough' to be able to win against good teams if our defense can dominate. Looks like our run D should be good in 2021. Gotta figure out how to get pressure and hopefully see our young secondary take a leap forward.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

That's not the issue.

Obviously every team would love a stud quarterback and a stud running back. They'd want a rushing attack that was as powerful as their passing game, and vice versa.

The problem is the cap.

As I pointed out in another thread, teams that combine to pay their QB1 and their RB1 more than 17.5% of their total cap tend to lose. Seventy percent of them end up with losing records. The reason is simple: You don't have enough money under the cap to surround them with the talent you need. You mention our defense ... yes, it was bad last year. It needs to be fixed. But how do you go out and get the players you need if you don't have the cap space?

This year, Cousins ($31 million) and Cook ($5 million) will account for a combined $36 million against the cap. That's 19%, so the Vikings are already in the danger zone. But next year, it gets downright comical. Cousins and Cook will combine for 45 and 12 — $57 million, which is 30% of the projected cap. It's a recipe for disaster. That's not my opinion. That's historical data talking.

In my opinion, the only way the Vikings have a prayer of making this work beyond 2021 is to trade back, get more 1st and 2nd round picks, and hit on all of them. Having a guy like Shaquill Griffin would be great, but draft picks are cheaper, and we need cheap talent. The Tomlinson signing is good, but how much more can the team actually afford without trading away a true generational talent like Danielle Hunter? And even if they can afford it this year, what about next year?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

The problem is the Cousins deal. Who ever signed off on it should be fired. It locks us in at a ridiculous amount. He's already made the most money in the NFL in the past 8 years. I think he has made 187 million for his career. Why does he and his agent have to bleed the Vikings dry. Why do they have to take every cent available. When does he start taking a team friendly deal like Brady or company. Ridiculous that we are a couple of days locked in to paying him top Qb money for the 3rd time in 3 years. I'm all for trading him and hunter for the number one pick and a 2nd. Selecting Trevor Lawrence and the best pass rusher at 14, the remaining safety at 34.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:05 am
That's not the issue.

Obviously every team would love a stud quarterback and a stud running back. They'd want a rushing attack that was as powerful as their passing game, and vice versa.

The problem is the cap.

As I pointed out in another thread, teams that combine to pay their QB1 and their RB1 more than 17.5% of their total cap tend to lose. Seventy percent of them end up with losing records. The reason is simple: You don't have enough money under the cap to surround them with the talent you need. You mention our defense ... yes, it was bad last year. It needs to be fixed. But how do you go out and get the players you need if you don't have the cap space?

This year, Cousins ($31 million) and Cook ($5 million) will account for a combined $36 million against the cap. That's 19%, so the Vikings are already in the danger zone. But next year, it gets downright comical. Cousins and Cook will combine for 45 and 12 — $57 million, which is 30% of the projected cap. It's a recipe for disaster. That's not my opinion. That's historical data talking.

In my opinion, the only way the Vikings have a prayer of making this work beyond 2021 is to trade back, get more 1st and 2nd round picks, and hit on all of them. Having a guy like Shaquill Griffin would be great, but draft picks are cheaper, and we need cheap talent. The Tomlinson signing is good, but how much more can the team actually afford without trading away a true generational talent like Danielle Hunter? And even if they can afford it this year, what about next year?
The only answers are a) the draft: develop cheap players on rookie deals OR b) the draft: select a QB and dump Cousins after this year.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:38 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:05 am
That's not the issue.

The problem is the cap.

The only answers are a) the draft: develop cheap players on rookie deals OR b) the draft: select a QB and dump Cousins after this year.
Unfortunately we can't dump Cousins. His 2022 salary of $35 million becomes fully guaranteed 3 days from now.

That means we'd have to trade him. I'm not sure who would take Kirk Cousins at $35 million, but if there's anybody that stupid, I hope they'll step up.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Shaquill Griffen has signed with Jacksonville, so this little page is done.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:06 pm Shaquill Griffen has signed with Jacksonville, so this little page is done.
Good, now lock the thread
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:01 pm
fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:38 am

Unfortunately we can't dump Cousins. His 2022 salary of $35 million becomes fully guaranteed 3 days from now.

That means we'd have to trade him. I'm not sure who would take Kirk Cousins at $35 million, but if there's anybody that stupid, I hope they'll step up.
Ugh. wow. I was looking at Overthecap and it still has 2022 as 35 million in savings and only 10 million dead, but I didn't realize that was about to become guaranteed.

Well, I'd still love to draft a QB even if he has to ride the pine for 2 years, though that takes away some of the financial benefit of having a guy on a rookie deal.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins