Vikings Release Riley Reiff

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings Release Riley Reiff

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:15 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:49 pm Tbf, PHP, I feel that Eric Wilson can be a solid enough replacement for Barr. Especially since Barr has been nondescript the last few seasons.
Also to be fair we still don’t know whether the Vikings view Ezra as a T or a G. As fans we can speculate, but our speculation is proof of nothing and on only speculation

It will be really really interesting to see what Rick does at #14. Can’t wait!!!
I would bet Rick would trade down to get the 2nd round pick back, I would be surprised if he does not
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:49 pm Tbf, PHP, I feel that Eric Wilson can be a solid enough replacement for Barr. Especially since Barr has been nondescript the last few seasons.
Tell that to Pondering Percy since he thinks Barr is all world
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

And many fans are saying that right now for one reason and one reason only because they saw Wilson pick some balls off this year. The Wilson supporters continue to ignore how terribly bad Wilson is vs the run. Consistently gets flushed out and missed 12.2% of his attempted tackles this past season. For the record, in 2019 Barr missed 2.5% of his attempted tackles. That is a LARGE margin.

In Barr’s most recent season he was:

2nd in yards allowed per coverage snap,
3rd in targets per coverage snap,
3rd in catches allowed per coverage snap,
1st in pass rushing productivity, and
15th in run defense grade.

Literally the ONLY reason guys want Wilson over Barr (when it comes to what they do on the field) is because Wilson had a few interceptions this year and Barr usually doesn’t. But clearly according to the stats above, he’s doing his job more often than not in the pass game. There is such thing as guys that don’t light up the box score but are solid players. Just because Eric Wilson had 3 interceptions this year doesn’t make him a better player than Anthony Barr.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:19 pm
:roll: Here we go. I defend Anthony Barr and that means “I think he’s all world”. Just like if I defend cousins or Spielman the haters say the same. Maybe if you actually dug further than an NFL.com box score to see who is better, you’d be able to see that Eric Wilson is a pis# poor run defender that is a fan favorite because he had 3 interceptions this year. News flash, that doesn’t mean he’s a good LBer. Trust me, I hopped on the eric Wilson stat train for a bit too. But the deeper I dug and the closer I paid attention to him specifically on run plays, he’s a liability against the run. Missing 12.2% of your attempted tackles is actually really, really bad. So don’t even go there with your childish crap
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'm in the camp of cut Reiff, Harrison Smith, and Barr. Ezra needs a chance at Tackle and Barr does not justify his pay. He is invisible most of the time. He isn't fast enough to cover most guys and isn't churning out sacks. He's just not worth the money despite what a lot of advanced stat geeks might be able to pull up. Zimmer's infatuation with him is bizarre and his schemes for him fail to produce great stats. He can blow hot air all he wants but Barr isn't winning us games. Teams don't pay linebackers big bucks for run defense these days. Can you cover the Kelces of the world and/or be a double digit sacks guy? Barr can do neither. Heck, he's never even had a 100 plus tackle season.

I would then use that money to go after Thuney and solidify this offensive line. Give Bradbury a chance for once. In the draft I would take Jaycee Horn , Surtain Jr., Alijah Vera Tucker, or Owusu-Koramoah at 14. If one of the top two or three wide receivers were still available at 14 I might take them as well. Thielen won't be around in 5 years and JJ is going to need a partner or two in crime. Sucks we don't have a second rounder but our GM made an atrocious trade.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:04 pm I'm in the camp of cut Reiff, Harrison Smith, and Barr. Ezra needs a chance at Tackle and Barr does not justify his pay. He is invisible most of the time. He isn't fast enough to cover most guys and isn't churning out sacks. He's just not worth the money despite what a lot of advanced stat geeks might be able to pull up. Zimmer's infatuation with him is bizarre and his schemes for him fail to produce great stats. He can blow hot air all he wants but Barr isn't winning us games. Teams don't pay linebackers big bucks for run defense these days. Can you cover the Kelces of the world and/or be a double digit sacks guy? Barr can do neither. Heck, he's never even had a 100 plus tackle season.

I would then use that money to go after Thuney and solidify this offensive line. Give Bradbury a chance for once. In the draft I would take Jaycee Horn , Surtain Jr., Alijah Vera Tucker, or Owusu-Koramoah at 14. If one of the top two or three wide receivers were still available at 14 I might take them as well. Thielen won't be around in 5 years and JJ is going to need a partner or two in crime. Sucks we don't have a second rounder but our GM made an atrocious trade.

I'd personally keep Smith for life. He's a leader of the defense and his knowledge of the game can put him in a Terence Newman position in a few years as a mentor for the new safeties.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:07 pm A big LOL at guys on here all of the sudden thinking Reiff was some long term keeper. Everybody knew something was going to have to give, everyone knew Cleveland was playing out of position, and everyone knew he would be our biggest cap saver, yet we still have our complainers :confused: Riley Reiff needed to go. I explained that multiple times on here. Not sure why all of the sudden this organization is a “shi# show”?
At me next time bro. It's a #### show because nothing have shown me that moves like these improve the vikings.
Shot show because....
1. Cut a talented LT instead of trading them regardless of if they tried or not.
2. Left Barr making 14 million
3. Recent horrible collection of contracts.
4. Inability to humble themselves and make improvements to their craft.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:59 pm

:roll: Here we go. I defend Anthony Barr and that means “I think he’s all world”. Just like if I defend cousins or Spielman the haters say the same. Maybe if you actually dug further than an NFL.com box score to see who is better, you’d be able to see that Eric Wilson is a pis# poor run defender that is a fan favorite because he had 3 interceptions this year. News flash, that doesn’t mean he’s a good LBer. Trust me, I hopped on the eric Wilson stat train for a bit too. But the deeper I dug and the closer I paid attention to him specifically on run plays, he’s a liability against the run. Missing 12.2% of your attempted tackles is actually really, really bad. So don’t even go there with your childish crap
Both LBs should go. Wilson is more productive and impactful. I would let both go and sign a true talent at LB
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:19 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:04 pm I'm in the camp of cut Reiff, Harrison Smith, and Barr. Ezra needs a chance at Tackle and Barr does not justify his pay. He is invisible most of the time. He isn't fast enough to cover most guys and isn't churning out sacks. He's just not worth the money despite what a lot of advanced stat geeks might be able to pull up. Zimmer's infatuation with him is bizarre and his schemes for him fail to produce great stats. He can blow hot air all he wants but Barr isn't winning us games. Teams don't pay linebackers big bucks for run defense these days. Can you cover the Kelces of the world and/or be a double digit sacks guy? Barr can do neither. Heck, he's never even had a 100 plus tackle season.

I'd personally keep Smith for life. He's a leader of the defense and his knowledge of the game can put him in a Terence Newman position in a few years as a mentor for the new safeties.
I only say cut him because doing so would free up 10 million and have zero dead cap. He's great and a leader but also getting older and I would rather invest in the trenches personally.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:34 pm
And many fans are saying that right now for one reason and one reason only because they saw Wilson pick some balls off this year. The Wilson supporters continue to ignore how terribly bad Wilson is vs the run. Consistently gets flushed out and missed 12.2% of his attempted tackles this past season. For the record, in 2019 Barr missed 2.5% of his attempted tackles. That is a LARGE margin.

In Barr’s most recent season he was:

2nd in yards allowed per coverage snap,
3rd in targets per coverage snap,
3rd in catches allowed per coverage snap,
1st in pass rushing productivity, and
15th in run defense grade.

Literally the ONLY reason guys want Wilson over Barr (when it comes to what they do on the field) is because Wilson had a few interceptions this year and Barr usually doesn’t. But clearly according to the stats above, he’s doing his job more often than not in the pass game. There is such thing as guys that don’t light up the box score but are solid players. Just because Eric Wilson had 3 interceptions this year doesn’t make him a better player than Anthony Barr.
This is solid work. I don’t always agree with you because we all have opinions but I respect the hell out of your posts and you always back up your opinions with easy to understand numbers. Much appreciated.
i'm ready for a beer.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I can not wait until Barr is gone so your obession with Barr can stop
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:30 am

:lol: Okay. Again, never once said Barr is "all world". No less, if I defend any player, unless I actually say they are "all world", it doesnt mean I think they are some superstar. I just think that you and others underestimate his importance to this defense. Did I ever once say he's worth every penny of his contract? Nope. Did I ever say he was "all world"? Nope. However, I do believe he's a much better all around LB than Eric Wilson is. And somehow you twist that around by saying I think he's all world? Trust me, you dont need to be an all world linebacker to be better than Eric Wilson, especially in the run defense department...

Oh and just a side note for anyone that came out of nowhere complaining about them cutting Reiff.....

-Cutting Riley Reiff saved us $11 million with roughly $3 million in dead cap and you have a much younger, cheaper replacement on the roster

vs.

-Cutting Anthony Barr would save us $7 million with roughly $7.8 million is dead cap and you have zero replacement on the roster

You tell me who the more logical cut candidate is.........
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:25 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:30 am

:lol: Okay. Again, never once said Barr is "all world". No less, if I defend any player, unless I actually say they are "all world", it doesnt mean I think they are some superstar. I just think that you and others underestimate his importance to this defense. Did I ever once say he's worth every penny of his contract? Nope. Did I ever say he was "all world"? Nope. However, I do believe he's a much better all around LB than Eric Wilson is. And somehow you twist that around by saying I think he's all world? Trust me, you dont need to be an all world linebacker to be better than Eric Wilson, especially in the run defense department...

Oh and just a side note for anyone that came out of nowhere complaining about them cutting Reiff.....

-Cutting Riley Reiff saved us $11 million with roughly $3 million in dead cap and you have a much younger, cheaper replacement on the roster

vs.

-Cutting Anthony Barr would save us $7 million with roughly $7.8 million is dead cap and you have zero replacement on the roster

You tell me who the more logical cut candidate is.........
Yeah, in your defense Barr is not your favorite player and I believe you had us letting him walk in 2019 in favor of Richardson, which actually looks like the better move at this point, if only because our 3 tech has been so bad.

I am curious who we have on the roster who is Reiff's replacement though? Are you thinking O'Neil?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Zimmer's scheme for Barr fail to produce great stats? Now I'm not sure about your opinion on Kirk Cousins but I know there are quite a few on here that believe the notion that Cousins can put up good stats but isnt a good QB. Do you believe that? Because if so, you just contradicted yourself by saying what you just did about Barr. But then you're going to believe that Eric Wilson is a better option because he put up better stats?

If this is the case, you just further proved my point above. 95% of Vikings fans believe that Eric Wilson is a better option than Barr for one reason only....because Wilson had 3 picks and 2 fumble recoveries this season. Barr did not play but that is usually not his forte. For the 100th time....just because Eric Wilson had a better box score than Anthony Barr usually does, does NOT mean Eric Wilson is a better option. Kirk Cousins had the 6th most TD passes this past year. Does that mean I think Cousins is the 6th best QB in the NFL? Adam Thielen had the 3rd most TDs in the NFL this year, does that mean I think Adam Thielen is the 3rd best WR in the NFL? No.

Like if anyone actually thinks Eric Wilson is a better option than Anthony Barr is, actually prove it with something other than a fricken box score.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

And FYI, for everyone that thinks Eric Wilson stats are impressive and that he's a better option over Barr.....

Wilsons overall PFF grade this year: 53.5

Barr's overall PFF grade by year:
2014: 70.4
2015: 90.1
2016: 50.6
2017: 71.5
2018: 70.5
2019: 60.6

So even after this big "stat" year Eric Wilson had, in 5 out of 6 years, Barr has been much better than Wilson was in 2020. That just goes to show just how bad Wilson is against the run especially.

And I will once again post the alarming stat that Anthony Barr missed just over 2% of his attempted tackles in 2019 where Eric Wilson missed over a whopping 12% of his.

Again, this is not me saying Barr is "all world" or deserving of every penny of his contract before you try and twist my words around again or tell me what I believe. This is simply showing that Eric Wilson from a pure talent and overall LB standpoint, is NOT a better option than Anthony Barr. Period
-Chazz Palminteri