Vikings Release Riley Reiff

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Vikings Release Riley Reiff

Post by Rhodes Closed »

https://mobile.twitter.com/Vikings/stat ... 4014606342

I'm actually really surprised to hear about this as I thought they'd restructure his contract.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings Release Riley Reiff

Post by chicagopurple »

another nail in what should be the coffin of Spielman the GM.....what an epic litany of failure. I wish Wilf had a backbone and some minimal standards of expectation.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:18 pm https://mobile.twitter.com/Vikings/stat ... 4014606342

I'm actually really surprised to hear about this as I thought they'd restructure his contract.
They absolutely screwed him last season, waiting until the last minute when they knew his options would be almost non-existant and telling him he could either be cut or take a massive paycut.

He wasn't going to do the team any favors after that.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Well PHP is 2/2 on his off-season so far :v):

I’m assuming this means Ezra to LT and there are 2 holes at OG. who knows maybe they’re targeting an OT @#14. But hopefully this means they have at least some confidence that Ezra can be successful at LT

I’ll be interested to see how both Reiff and Rudy do in FA
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Time to draft another offensive tackle in the draft so who do you want?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

What a #### show of an organization. You finally had some solid play at LT and you cut him. However, Anthony Barr still running around doing jack ####.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

chicagopurple wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:21 pm another nail in what should be the coffin of Spielman the GM.....what an epic litany of failure. I wish Wilf had a backbone and some minimal standards of expectation.
He never will since he loves Zimmer and Speilman too much to fire them so might as well keep Zimmer and Speilman until they die
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Post by Spot & Stalk Vike »

I was hoping like heck that we could find a way to keep Reiff.

I don't know exactly why but I feel like it's going to get worse for our beloved team before it gets better....aka removing and replacing the HC and GM.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

A big LOL at guys on here all of the sudden thinking Reiff was some long term keeper. Everybody knew something was going to have to give, everyone knew Cleveland was playing out of position, and everyone knew he would be our biggest cap saver, yet we still have our complainers :confused: Riley Reiff needed to go. I explained that multiple times on here. Not sure why all of the sudden this organization is a “shi# show”?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:07 pm A big LOL at guys on here all of the sudden thinking Reiff was some long term keeper. Everybody knew something was going to have to give, everyone knew Cleveland was playing out of position, and everyone knew he would be our biggest cap saver, yet we still have our complainers :confused: Riley Reiff needed to go. I explained that multiple times on here. Not sure why all of the sudden this organization is a “shi# show”?
So you think that removing one of the very few stable olineman we had is somehow worth laughing at other posters over?

The ### show goes well beyond one lineman being cut, it's just one act in a really bad ongoing story imo. Losing a 2nd round pick for nothing in 2020 other than to move to the 3rd round, giving Cousins a fully guaranteed deal with no trade clause is another example (yes I know the no trade changed with the extension but that doesn't change what I stated). Poor clock management game after game, our team lying flat on the ground in the biggest moments year after year. How they treated Reiff as mentioned above by Stump Hunter.

There's more but no need to pile on at this point.
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:38 pm Time to draft another offensive tackle in the draft so who do you want?
I'll take another CB for $300.00 Alex...lol.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Spot & Stalk Vike wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:22 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:07 pm A big LOL at guys on here all of the sudden thinking Reiff was some long term keeper. Everybody knew something was going to have to give, everyone knew Cleveland was playing out of position, and everyone knew he would be our biggest cap saver, yet we still have our complainers :confused: Riley Reiff needed to go. I explained that multiple times on here. Not sure why all of the sudden this organization is a “shi# show”?
So you think that removing one of the very few stable olineman we had is somehow worth laughing at other posters over?

The ### show goes well beyond one lineman being cut, it's just one act in a really bad ongoing story imo. Losing a 2nd round pick for nothing in 2020 other than to move to the 3rd round, giving Cousins a fully guaranteed deal with no trade clause is another example (yes I know the no trade changed with the extension but that doesn't change what I stated). Poor clock management game after game, our team lying flat on the ground in the biggest moments year after year. How they treated Reiff as mentioned above by Stump Hunter.

Yeah I 100% do. If you read my mock offseason you’d understand why I think it’s the correct move. I would’ve actually traded him because I think he could’ve brought in some sort of late round pick but cutting him was the next option. You sound like the guys you’re currently complaining about. You think we should have kept him just because he was a “stable lineman”. But somehow don’t think 1.) at this point in his career, he’s not a long term option and 2.) they drafted Cleveland for a reason and I’m willing to bet it was to play tackle (right or left), not play guard by default. Clevelands future is at tackle. Not guard. With Reiff still on this team, Cleveland will continue to stay at guard which is where I explained he would eventually be ruined. I’m done playing the hes a good tackle so let’s put him at guard game.

Like I’ve said before, would you ever fathom putting Brian O’Neill at left guard? No. Why? Because he’s a true tackle and has been all along, even coming out. Cleveland and O’Neill were near identical lineman coming out of college. Why is it okay to put Cleveland on the opposite side of the line at a position he’s never played, but have it be out of the question for someone like O’Neill.

For the 100th time, they need TRUE guards. Not tackles that move to guard. Not centers that move to guard. TRUE guards. This now opens up both spots and I hope to get a guy like Matt Feiler or Kevin Zeitler in free agency and draft someone like Trey Smith for the other spot.

And how Reiff was treated? This is a business and that was a business decision. I’d let Riley Reiff go 10 times out of 10 over a guy like Barr or Hunter. Especially because we actually have a replacement for him. It 10000% makes sense. For Barr or Hunter, we have zero replacement. Losing Reiff doesn’t make our line terrible unless somehow Cleveland is a complete flop but I’d be willing to bet he isn’t. Losing Danielle Hunter or Anthony Barr 100% makes our defense worse.

I don’t care if Reiff is a “stable lineman”. He isn’t a long term option at this point. Ezra Cleveland is as well as Brian O’Neill. Put some true guards next to Bradbury and chances are you’ll see an improvement there as well.

Only thing that would’ve been better than this move was trading Reiff. Clearly they didn’t find any takers as teams are scraping right and left to get under the cap. Cutting him was the next best option. Hurt feelings or not
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Tbf, PHP, I feel that Eric Wilson can be a solid enough replacement for Barr. Especially since Barr has been nondescript the last few seasons.
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:44 pm
Spot & Stalk Vike wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:22 pm

Yeah I 100% do. If you read my mock offseason you’d understand why I think it’s the correct move. I would’ve actually traded him because I think he could’ve brought in some sort of late round pick but cutting him was the next option. You sound like the guys you’re currently complaining about. You think we should have kept him just because he was a “stable lineman”. But somehow don’t think 1.) at this point in his career, he’s not a long term option and 2.) they drafted Cleveland for a reason and I’m willing to bet it was to play tackle (right or left), not play guard by default. Clevelands future is at tackle. Not guard. With Reiff still on this team, Cleveland will continue to stay at guard which is where I explained he would eventually be ruined. I’m done playing the hes a good tackle so let’s put him at guard game.

Like I’ve said before, would you ever fathom putting Brian O’Neill at left guard? No. Why? Because he’s a true tackle and has been all along, even coming out. Cleveland and O’Neill were near identical lineman coming out of college. Why is it okay to put Cleveland on the opposite side of the line at a position he’s never played, but have it be out of the question for someone like O’Neill.

For the 100th time, they need TRUE guards. Not tackles that move to guard. Not centers that move to guard. TRUE guards. This now opens up both spots and I hope to get a guy like Matt Feiler or Kevin Zeitler in free agency and draft someone like Trey Smith for the other spot.

And how Reiff was treated? This is a business and that was a business decision. I’d let Riley Reiff go 10 times out of 10 over a guy like Barr or Hunter. Especially because we actually have a replacement for him. It 10000% makes sense. For Barr or Hunter, we have zero replacement. Losing Reiff doesn’t make our line terrible unless somehow Cleveland is a complete flop but I’d be willing to bet he isn’t. Losing Danielle Hunter or Anthony Barr 100% makes our defense worse.

I don’t care if Reiff is a “stable lineman”. He isn’t a long term option at this point. Ezra Cleveland is as well as Brian O’Neill. Put some true guards next to Bradbury and chances are you’ll see an improvement there as well.

Only thing that would’ve been better than this move was trading Reiff. Clearly they didn’t find any takers as teams are scraping right and left to get under the cap. Cutting him was the next best option. Hurt feelings or not
My feelings aren't hurt, I have thick skin so no worries. Let me be clear I would have liked to keep Reiff at the right price and not at his current salary given his age of 32. In addition, part of the #### show around our team is just what you mentioned above, our insistence on moving lineman from their natural position to another and our inability to find interior lineman. It's been systematic over the years with our GM and coaching it seems. Trading Reiff and getting something in return also makes perfect sense since he is serviceable, but again the ineptness in leadership kept that from coming to fruition partially because of his salary, a salary that Rick negotiated.

Not sure how Barr and Hunter got added to the mix here though I personally don't find Barr's production on par with his salary but that is just my opinion. Anyway, different subject for a different thread.

BTW I did really like your mock, well thought out and I do appreciate the time you spent putting it together.

peace...out.
Last edited by Spot & Stalk Vike on Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:49 pm Tbf, PHP, I feel that Eric Wilson can be a solid enough replacement for Barr. Especially since Barr has been nondescript the last few seasons.
Also to be fair we still don’t know whether the Vikings view Ezra as a T or a G. As fans we can speculate, but our speculation is proof of nothing and on only speculation

It will be really really interesting to see what Rick does at #14. Can’t wait!!!