Vikings Sign DE- Stephen Weatherly

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Vikings Sign DE- Stephen Weatherly

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikings just signed Weatherly to a 1 year deal. I’m actually just about finished with my mock offseason. Just on the draft portion now. I actually thought about having us resign him but passed. I did mention in there that I wouldn’t be surprised if we brought some past veterans back. I think there might be more than just weatherly.

Either way, I’ll take it as a depth signing. Wondering what the plan is opposite of hunter right now though. As of now we have options of Wonnum, Odenigbo (who’s an RFA but I’m guessing he’ll be back), Weatherly, Brailford and I think even Hercules was playing some end.

Side note: I wish they would’ve given Brailford some more time last year. He’s got a super quick get off and made some big plays last year in limited time
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings Sign DE- Stephen Weatherly

Post by VikingPaul73 »

hmmmm, this is interesting. A lot of the "experts" have been stating that DE is their biggest need in the draft, but I think interior DL and OL are much more important. Of course that is assuming Hunter back at 100%, but with Hunter holding down LDE and Wonnum/Ife at RDE I think they are ok. 3Tech and LG are HUGE gaping holes at this point.

Hopefully this signing signals that the Vikings agree with me and that they just need a little depth at DE, but not a 1st round pick !
I'm excited to see how Wonnum develops over the off-season and how he does next year. :smilevike:

Looking forward to seeing your offseason mock!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Not a lot of value at DT where the Vikings pick. There could be DE or LB value depending on who falls. Also, no guarantee Hunter comes back or is ever the same. In fact, I think it's pretty close to 50/50. Same injury that ended Peyton Manning's career and DE is much more taxing.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:21 am hmmmm, this is interesting. A lot of the "experts" have been stating that DE is their biggest need in the draft, but I think interior DL and OL are much more important. Of course that is assuming Hunter back at 100%, but with Hunter holding down LDE and Wonnum/Ife at RDE I think they are ok. 3Tech and LG are HUGE gaping holes at this point.

Hopefully this signing signals that the Vikings agree with me and that they just need a little depth at DE, but not a 1st round pick !
I'm excited to see how Wonnum develops over the off-season and how he does next year. :smilevike:

Whether it is DE or DT the Vikings need to generate more pressure. IMO there isn't a starting caliber RDE or 3 tech on this team, and we don't have the cap to rectify that via FAs.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

S197 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:57 pm Not a lot of value at DT where the Vikings pick. There could be DE or LB value depending on who falls. Also, no guarantee Hunter comes back or is ever the same. In fact, I think it's pretty close to 50/50. Same injury that ended Peyton Manning's career and DE is much more taxing.
Yeah, if Spielman holds at 14 in the 1st I also don't think there is a DT that makes sense there.

If 5 QBs go in the first 10 picks (which I think is increasingly likely as we approach the draft), then Spielman should have some excellent options if he holds at 14. He should be able to choose from among a top DE, top IOL or OT, possibly a top WR or LB.

Another option at 14 if that happens is a trade back to pick up an extra 2nd and still get a player in Round 1 he wants. If he can move back around 25 or so he still can get a good prospect at a position of immediate need while also getting back into the back half of Round 2. Then if he's feeling good about someone a bit earlier in Round 2 he can trade up using that 2nd and one of the 3rds while still having another pick in Round 3. Not as good as simply having kept that 2nd rounder, but still not too bad if it works out that way.

And here's a REALLY bold move for Spielman if he does do that - take Kyle Trask in Round 2. I can hear some howls if they did that because Trask has fallen a bit as a result of his rough bowl performance, but I continue to believe he is going to be the best QB out of this draft. That also queues up a future path at QB without putting immediate pressure on either Cousins or Trask.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:33 pm
S197 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:57 pm Not a lot of value at DT where the Vikings pick. There could be DE or LB value depending on who falls. Also, no guarantee Hunter comes back or is ever the same. In fact, I think it's pretty close to 50/50. Same injury that ended Peyton Manning's career and DE is much more taxing.
Yeah, if Spielman holds at 14 in the 1st I also don't think there is a DT that makes sense there.

If 5 QBs go in the first 10 picks (which I think is increasingly likely as we approach the draft), then Spielman should have some excellent options if he holds at 14. He should be able to choose from among a top DE, top IOL or OT, possibly a top WR or LB.

Another option at 14 if that happens is a trade back to pick up an extra 2nd and still get a player in Round 1 he wants. If he can move back around 25 or so he still can get a good prospect at a position of immediate need while also getting back into the back half of Round 2. Then if he's feeling good about someone a bit earlier in Round 2 he can trade up using that 2nd and one of the 3rds while still having another pick in Round 3. Not as good as simply having kept that 2nd rounder, but still not too bad if it works out that way.

And here's a REALLY bold move for Spielman if he does do that - take Kyle Trask in Round 2. I can hear some howls if they did that because Trask has fallen a bit as a result of his rough bowl performance, but I continue to believe he is going to be the best QB out of this draft. That also queues up a future path at QB without putting immediate pressure on either Cousins or Trask.
You bring up an interesting point. There seems to be many QBs that could go before our pick but one of those guys could drop to us at 14. If there is a top 10 rated QB that slips to us that better be the pick at 14. That wouldn't bother me at all. QBs are hard to come by and they shouldn't be passed up. I realize the hit rate on QBs is extremely low but you need take a swing if a guy you like is there. I like that Jones kid from Bama but I don't even know if he's top 10 or top 5 or whatever right now. Bottom line QB should always be at the top of our list at this point or any point really. With this many guys I could see one dropping.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:33 pm

In a scenario like this, my hope is for a guy like Micah Parsons. I know it’s a long shot but this guy is going to be a stud. Stranger things have happened, Shariff Floyd and Dalvin Cook’s falls as examples. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Rick goes with Rousseau.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:17 pm
VikingPaul73 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:21 am hmmmm, this is interesting. A lot of the "experts" have been stating that DE is their biggest need in the draft, but I think interior DL and OL are much more important. Of course that is assuming Hunter back at 100%, but with Hunter holding down LDE and Wonnum/Ife at RDE I think they are ok. 3Tech and LG are HUGE gaping holes at this point.

Whether it is DE or DT the Vikings need to generate more pressure. IMO there isn't a starting caliber RDE or 3 tech on this team, and we don't have the cap to rectify that via FAs.
just curious what are your thoughts on Wonnum as RDE? Depth for now, but could develop into good starter?? Or is his ceiling a decent depth/rotational piece and nothing more.

Agreed 100% on 3-Tech. To me Stephen is a good backup and not a starter, but Zimmer seems to love him.... so 3-Tech might not be a focus in the draft. I guess we will see.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

S197 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:40 am
In a scenario like this, my hope is for a guy like Micah Parsons. I know it’s a long shot but this guy is going to be a stud. Stranger things have happened, Shariff Floyd and Dalvin Cook’s falls as examples. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Rick goes with Rousseau.
he would definitely be an intriguing pick....if they take Parsons would you envision him as a Barr replacement?? Or would they keep Barr/Kendricks/Parsons?? That would definitely be an exciting trio, but could be considered a poor allocation of resources given how often they will be running Nickel

it would be nice if the Draft came before FA :smilevike:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

I think Christian Barmore is excellent value where the Vikings pick. Although I think they could get him a few picks later. I would say trade down, gain a 2nd rounder and then take Barmore.....which might possibly be what I'm doing in my mock offseason that I've been working on
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:17 pm

I disagree. By the time FA rolls around, we will have enough cap room to make some moves. 1/4 of the teams in the NFL are in WORSE shape than we are cap wise. These free agents have to go somewhere. I've never seen so many teams below the cap right now. You're going to see cuts right and left across the league in the coming weeks. Not only are teams effected by the cap numbers but these free agents will be as well because the contracts being dished out will be less than they would in a normal year. But in terms of the Vikings, I can tell you that we will 100% be able to afford a guy like Everson Griffen. You consistently act like we are $50 million over the cap. We're only $4 million over. There are teams that are $20+ million, $30+ million, hell the Saints are $60+ million. Most of the teams in trouble are NFC playoff teams which is good for us.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:02 am
S197 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:40 am
he would definitely be an intriguing pick....if they take Parsons would you envision him as a Barr replacement?? Or would they keep Barr/Kendricks/Parsons?? That would definitely be an exciting trio, but could be considered a poor allocation of resources given how often they will be running Nickel

it would be nice if the Draft came before FA :smilevike:
He’s an every down LB so I would move on from Barr. It’s rare for a LB to have both size and speed. Zimmer’s LB’s need to cover a lot of ground and Parsons has the speed to do it. He can cover these athletic TE’s we’re seeing that have punched holes in this defense and he’s solid in the run.

He should go top 10, probably top 5, but if it gets QB heavy with the early picks, you never know.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:40 pm
I think Christian Barmore is excellent value where the Vikings pick. Although I think they could get him a few picks later. I would say trade down, gain a 2nd rounder and then take Barmore.....which might possibly be what I'm doing in my mock offseason that I've been working on
I’ve seen him ranked all over the place, probably because he came on strong late and doesn’t have a ton of reps to evaluate. Which isn’t uncommon for Alabama players since most only stick around a couple years. He’s definitely the disruptive type DT this defense very badly needs. Ultimately it will likely hinge on how confident they are on whether Hunter comes back. If he does, then a guy like Barmore could make a great addition.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:45 am You bring up an interesting point. There seems to be many QBs that could go before our pick but one of those guys could drop to us at 14. If there is a top 10 rated QB that slips to us that better be the pick at 14. That wouldn't bother me at all. QBs are hard to come by and they shouldn't be passed up. I realize the hit rate on QBs is extremely low but you need take a swing if a guy you like is there. I like that Jones kid from Bama but I don't even know if he's top 10 or top 5 or whatever right now. Bottom line QB should always be at the top of our list at this point or any point really. With this many guys I could see one dropping.
This is one draft in particular where I think it is going to be harder to evaluate QBs than in past years. That difficulty will both lead to teams over-ranking QBs in this draft as well as some QBs that might have been ranked higher falling under the hype train rather than getting on it.

Bottom line is, even if all of the top 5 QBs are gone by the time #14 rolls around, there are still going to be QBs in Rounds 2 and even 3 who might end up having more success as pros than the top guys.

It isn't just at QB that this is going to be the case. This is going to be true at many positions and with many players.

This presents great opportunity as well as great peril for GMs and scouts around the league. With some hard work and good luck, maybe Spielman and his crew can find unexpected gems well into the later rounds.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

S197 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:43 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:40 pm

I’ve seen him ranked all over the place, probably because he came on strong late and doesn’t have a ton of reps to evaluate. Which isn’t uncommon for Alabama players since most only stick around a couple years. He’s definitely the disruptive type DT this defense very badly needs. Ultimately it will likely hinge on how confident they are on whether Hunter comes back. If he does, then a guy like Barmore could make a great addition.
My concern with Barmore is that while he has the talent, he hasn't produced consistently. He's a guy who can dominate when he shows up, but you can't count on him showing up consistently. He did play pretty consistently as the season ended and definitely showed his potential late, and if the team that drafts him gets that player, Barmore will be a great pick who has the chance to go to many Pro Bowls. If they get the guy who didn't play up to his considerable physical gifts, that team will be back looking for help in FA or the draft or both sooner rather than later.