Vikings sign kicker Greg Joseph

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings sign kicker Greg Joseph

Post by RandyMoss84 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:13 pm

It looks like Bailey will be cut
0 x

Rhodes Closed
Franchise Player

Re: Vikings sign kicker Greg Joseph

Post by Rhodes Closed » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:09 am

I feel bad for Dan Bailey, but hopefully this kicker can bring some more life to the Special Teams.
0 x

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:01 am

Rhodes Closed wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:09 am
I feel bad for Dan Bailey, but hopefully this kicker can bring some more life to the Special Teams.
I do not feel bad for Bailey, he is past his prime so he should hang it up and enjoy retirement
0 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:21 am

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:01 am
Rhodes Closed wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:09 am
I do not feel bad for Bailey, he is past his prime so he should hang it up and enjoy retirement
I wouldnt say he's past his prime. I dont really think there is a "prime" for kickers. Most of them kick for a long time in this league. I think he simply just had a bad year. Kicking is a whole different animal in this league. Unless your kicking power gets worse due to old age (like an Adam Vinatieri), the rest is just mental. The great kickers overcome the bad misses. Look at guys like Walsh. His career spiraled fast after that playoff miss. And prior to that he looked like he had a shot to become one of the better kickers in the NFL.
0 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:52 am

I'm not sure this means Bailey is gone.

In his four years in the NFL, Joseph has never been on an active roster for a full season. The closest he ever came to that was when Cleveland signed him in mid-September of 2018 after the Browns cut their kicker, who had lost a game by missing two field goals and an extra point. In other words, he was the Browns' version of Dan Bailey following Daniel Carlson. He only lasted the one season with Cleveland.

Since then, he's mostly been a practice-squad kicker, with the occasional activation for a game here and there. So he might not end up beating out Bailey, who Zimmer likes a lot.

One thing about Joseph ... looking at his picture, the guy obviously is no stranger to the weight room. Not sure I've ever seen a kicker who was actually ripped.
0 x
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.