What does the Stafford Trade Mean for the Vikings?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

How nervous/happy are you about this trade as a Vikings fan?

Happy, 12 years of being a loser is not enough evidence to me that Stafford isn't good enough on the Lions and I am glad he is out of the division
1
8%
Nervous, statistically the two QBs getting traded could not be closer than Stafford and Goff, and now the Lions have an extra first in the next two drafts after this one to make their team better
3
25%
It doesn't matter, it is the Lions and they will be bad no matter what trades they make
8
67%
 
Total votes: 12

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2350
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 381

What does the Stafford Trade Mean for the Vikings?

Post by StumpHunter » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:20 pm

The Lions are sending a guy who never really scared me as a Vikings' fan and who they locked up a ton of cap in each season to the Rams for 2 future 1st round picks and Jared Goff. To me, this feels like a big win for the Lions who will have a QB on a reasonable contract for the next 3 seasons following 2021 (if they want to keep him) who statistically is a little better than Stafford, but who is also realistically a slight downgrade from the guy overall.

It is a big change in the division and I am curious what everyone thinks about it.
0 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1256
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 422

Re: What does the Stafford Trade Mean for the Vikings?

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:51 am

StumpHunter wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:20 pm
The Lions are sending a guy who never really scared me as a Vikings' fan and who they locked up a ton of cap in each season to the Rams for 2 future 1st round picks and Jared Goff. To me, this feels like a big win for the Lions who will have a QB on a reasonable contract for the next 3 seasons following 2021 (if they want to keep him) who statistically is a little better than Stafford, but who is also realistically a slight downgrade from the guy overall.

It is a big change in the division and I am curious what everyone thinks about it.
Sure it is a big win for the Lions but I am not worried about it since Goff sucks and Lions usually draft busts
0 x

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 9019
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky
x 224

Re: What does the Stafford Trade Mean for the Vikings?

Post by Cliff » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:51 am

I'm interested more than anything. Stafford is going to a team that doesn't seem doomed. Its hard to know what a players potential really is on the Lions.

That said, I've always been less than impressed with Stafford. I'm super surprised he brought a 3rd and 2 1st round picks.
0 x

User avatar
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1147
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 224

Re: What does the Stafford Trade Mean for the Vikings?

Post by Maelstrom88 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:43 am

The Lions are set up very well in about 3 years IF they draft well. They got a steal here and it speaks well of the new administration. The Rams gave up two firsts to get Goff and 2 firsts to get rid of Goff. He's a 4 first round pick QB :rofl: Stafford is an upgrade but I'm not sure by how much. Their defense got gashed vs. GB so I'm not sold on them either. They may not be the best team in their division let alone the league and all those thin drafts will catch up with them. They are 33 million over the cap I believe, their LT is ancient, and I heard their LG is set to be a free agent.
0 x
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.

DiehardVF1
Waterboy
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:44 am

Re: What does the Stafford Trade Mean for the Vikings?

Post by DiehardVF1 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:17 am

We should stay focused on what the Vikes can trade for Cousins. As long as we have him we are doomed to miss the playoffs and watch other teams on TV.
0 x

User avatar
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1147
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 224

Re: What does the Stafford Trade Mean for the Vikings?

Post by Maelstrom88 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:42 am

DiehardVF1 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:17 am
We should stay focused on what the Vikes can trade for Cousins. As long as we have him we are doomed to miss the playoffs and watch other teams on TV.
Don't they owe him like 45 million coming up? They would likely have to throw on two firsts and a third like the Rams to get someone to take him and eat that salary. :rofl:
0 x
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2350
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 381

Re: What does the Stafford Trade Mean for the Vikings?

Post by StumpHunter » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:32 pm

Maelstrom88 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:43 am
The Lions are set up very well in about 3 years IF they draft well. They got a steal here and it speaks well of the new administration. The Rams gave up two firsts to get Goff and 2 firsts to get rid of Goff. He's a 4 first round pick QB :rofl: Stafford is an upgrade but I'm not sure by how much. Their defense got gashed vs. GB so I'm not sold on them either. They may not be the best team in their division let alone the league and all those thin drafts will catch up with them. They are 33 million over the cap I believe, their LT is ancient, and I heard their LG is set to be a free agent.
You would think the 9ers fans would be all over trading for Cousins, especially since they were wanting to give up a ton for Stafford before he went to the Rams and Cousins is arguably a better QB and fits Shannahan's system well.

Emphatic no's from every 9er board I have suggested it on. Guys who were pounding the table for Stafford don't even want to give up a 2nd for Cousins. Kind of embarrassing that we are going to pay 76 million over 2 years for a QB no other fanbase wants for 56 million over 2.
1 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8508
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 1065

Re: What does the Stafford Trade Mean for the Vikings?

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:13 pm

I’m concerned about all the high draft picks the Lions have accumulated.

I’m concerned about Dan Campbell. The media thinks his hire is a joke, but he’s managed to snag Anthony Lynn and Duce Staley for his staff. Apparently Campbell is well-respected.

I’m concerned that the Detroit Lions — yes, the stupid Kitties — might actually be good in a couple of years.

Meanwhile we stick to the same outdated ideas and 1990s modes of operation we’ve been dealing with for the past 7 years. We have no cap space, a quarterback whose cap hit will be second-highest in the league in 2022, no second-round pick because we panicked (again) at Danielle Hunter’s “tweak” to his neck, and holes all over the roster.

There is a very real possibility that we will BE the Lions very soon.
3 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1256
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 422

Re: What does the Stafford Trade Mean for the Vikings?

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:16 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:13 pm
I’m concerned about all the high draft picks the Lions have accumulated.

I’m concerned about Dan Campbell. The media thinks his hire is a joke, but he’s managed to snag Anthony Lynn and Duce Staley for his staff. Apparently Campbell is well-respected.

I’m concerned that the Detroit Lions — yes, the stupid Kitties — might actually be good in a couple of years.

Meanwhile we stick to the same outdated ideas and 1990s modes of operation we’ve been dealing with for the past 7 years. We have no cap space, a quarterback whose cap hit will be second-highest in the league in 2022, no second-round pick because we panicked (again) at Danielle Hunter’s “tweak” to his neck, and holes all over the roster.

There is a very real possibility that we will BE the Lions very soon.
That will be a good thing meaning that Zimmer and Speilman will be fired
1 x

User avatar
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1147
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 224

Re: What does the Stafford Trade Mean for the Vikings?

Post by Maelstrom88 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:00 pm

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:16 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:13 pm
I’m concerned about all the high draft picks the Lions have accumulated.

I’m concerned about Dan Campbell. The media thinks his hire is a joke, but he’s managed to snag Anthony Lynn and Duce Staley for his staff. Apparently Campbell is well-respected.

I’m concerned that the Detroit Lions — yes, the stupid Kitties — might actually be good in a couple of years.

Meanwhile we stick to the same outdated ideas and 1990s modes of operation we’ve been dealing with for the past 7 years. We have no cap space, a quarterback whose cap hit will be second-highest in the league in 2022, no second-round pick because we panicked (again) at Danielle Hunter’s “tweak” to his neck, and holes all over the roster.

There is a very real possibility that we will BE the Lions very soon.
That will be a good thing meaning that Zimmer and Speilman will be fired
Just sucks that it had to get to that point for ownership to understand.
1 x
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.

User avatar
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1256
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 422

Re: What does the Stafford Trade Mean for the Vikings?

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:21 pm

Maelstrom88 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:00 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:16 pm


That will be a good thing meaning that Zimmer and Speilman will be fired
Just sucks that it had to get to that point for ownership to understand.
Unfortanely!
1 x

CharVike
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1283
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 227

Re: What does the Stafford Trade Mean for the Vikings?

Post by CharVike » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:50 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:32 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:43 am
The Lions are set up very well in about 3 years IF they draft well. They got a steal here and it speaks well of the new administration. The Rams gave up two firsts to get Goff and 2 firsts to get rid of Goff. He's a 4 first round pick QB :rofl: Stafford is an upgrade but I'm not sure by how much. Their defense got gashed vs. GB so I'm not sold on them either. They may not be the best team in their division let alone the league and all those thin drafts will catch up with them. They are 33 million over the cap I believe, their LT is ancient, and I heard their LG is set to be a free agent.
You would think the 9ers fans would be all over trading for Cousins, especially since they were wanting to give up a ton for Stafford before he went to the Rams and Cousins is arguably a better QB and fits Shannahan's system well.

Emphatic no's from every 9er board I have suggested it on. Guys who were pounding the table for Stafford don't even want to give up a 2nd for Cousins. Kind of embarrassing that we are going to pay 76 million over 2 years for a QB no other fanbase wants for 56 million over 2.
Any fan base that is pounding the table for Stafford don't understand football very well. Some act like no team pays money to starting QBs. Wilson gets a ton and threw a home playoff game away to the Rams. Are the fans happy with that give away? Maybe they are. Did they like the loss to the Pack the year before? Maybe they did. And he's considered good. But he's not cheap. The only way to get a cheap starter that can play good is a rookie deal. That guy will be the first pick this year. Maybe he will bust and then it's back to square one. Maybe he'll be a HOFer and then they are golden. Nobody knows. The guy from the tide looks like the true winner of this bunch.
0 x

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4134
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
x 222

Re: What does the Stafford Trade Mean for the Vikings?

Post by Texas Vike » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:58 pm

I've heard Rams fans say that McVay was able to scheme in such a way as to hide Goff's shortcomings. Apparently, there are lots of folks who think Stafford is ultra elite, and the pieces around him in Detroit kept him from excelling. I find both of those positions to be questionable, so I'm intrigued to see how this plays out.

I'm spooked by all of the picks that Detroit has and the thought that they were brave enough to scrap their coach a GM and embrace a full on rebuild... while we piss into the wind acting like all is groovy.
0 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2350
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 381

Re: What does the Stafford Trade Mean for the Vikings?

Post by StumpHunter » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:46 am

CharVike wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:50 pm
StumpHunter wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:32 pm


You would think the 9ers fans would be all over trading for Cousins, especially since they were wanting to give up a ton for Stafford before he went to the Rams and Cousins is arguably a better QB and fits Shannahan's system well.

Emphatic no's from every 9er board I have suggested it on. Guys who were pounding the table for Stafford don't even want to give up a 2nd for Cousins. Kind of embarrassing that we are going to pay 76 million over 2 years for a QB no other fanbase wants for 56 million over 2.
Any fan base that is pounding the table for Stafford don't understand football very well. Some act like no team pays money to starting QBs. Wilson gets a ton and threw a home playoff game away to the Rams. Are the fans happy with that give away? Maybe they are. Did they like the loss to the Pack the year before? Maybe they did. And he's considered good. But he's not cheap. The only way to get a cheap starter that can play good is a rookie deal. That guy will be the first pick this year. Maybe he will bust and then it's back to square one. Maybe he'll be a HOFer and then they are golden. Nobody knows. The guy from the tide looks like the true winner of this bunch.
Your dislike of a guy who consistently gets his team to the playoffs by hiding a good deal of his team's flaws and who is 9-7 in those playoff games is bizarre. He is 2nd or 1st in almost every non-volume passing stat all time. He will be in the HOF and will end up in discussion for top 10 greatest QBs of all time when he retires.
1 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2350
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 381

Re: What does the Stafford Trade Mean for the Vikings?

Post by StumpHunter » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:59 am

Texas Vike wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:58 pm
I've heard Rams fans say that McVay was able to scheme in such a way as to hide Goff's shortcomings. Apparently, there are lots of folks who think Stafford is ultra elite, and the pieces around him in Detroit kept him from excelling. I find both of those positions to be questionable, so I'm intrigued to see how this plays out.

I'm spooked by all of the picks that Detroit has and the thought that they were brave enough to scrap their coach a GM and embrace a full on rebuild... while we piss into the wind acting like all is groovy.
This is absolutely true, just like we have to scheme to hide Cousins' shortcomings and McVay will have to scheme to hide Stafford's. Stafford had weapons on offense he just rarely had a defense and he wasn't good enough to get his offense to the point where that didn't matter.

That being said, I think a great run game could do wonders for Stafford and the Rams could be a top 5 offense for the first time in Stafford's career (they have only been better than 10th once at 6th in the NFL). They might even be able to get back to 3rd best like they were in 2018 with Goff, but I doubt it. Kupp and Woods are solid but would not be the best WRs Stafford has worked with and that Ram's run game is only okay.
0 x