Zimmer evaluation, 2021 "team outlook"

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikeFanInEagleLand
Veteran

Re: Zimmer evaluation, 2021 "team outlook"

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:37 pm

IIsweet wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:45 pm
Wow.... hate say it looks like a 4-12 season, but it definitely does not look like a promising schedule. Or, maybe I have lost faith in this regime ???
Vikings were way better than their 7-9 record. (which, btw is better than one of this years playoff teams - from NFC east). Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Rams don't scare me. If the Vikings can't win 11, I'll be unimpressed.
0 x

CharVike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CharVike » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:42 pm

allday1991 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:13 pm
CharVike wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:31 pm
Based on the NFL today I think Zimmer has done a good job. He makes the playoffs every other year which puts our team in the final bracket of good teams. I also think the players play hard for him and he also gets the most out of them. This year we started 1-5 and the team still didn't pack it in and were in the playoff hunt until late. He has lost some games that I have expected him to win. That happens with every coach. The Rams are in a playoff push and let the Jets beat them recently. Look at the players we have put out there this season. Without the Viking fan blinded view. This Viking defense has about a bad starting 11 that I have ever seen in my 50 years of watching. Yet they still won some games which is beyond my belief. He also gives Rodgers a hard time which isn't easy. He gets us in the playoffs and we play in a tough division. Some feel the Bears are terrible but I don't. You play them and you know you were in a tough game. They bring it. Trib not developing has killed them. This team went to the champ game with Case as the starter for most of the year. He got the most out of him. Even this pass rush guy we traded for had some sacks under Zim. He hasn't done much since we traded him. 2021 will be a tough year for us. I don't see Rodgers turning into a bum and the Bears are a tough team. We have some young guys that have shown some talent and that's a positive. The key on D will be Hunter. He's a stud but if he's done good luck with getting a pass rush. IMO pass rush is the main key for a defense. If you can't pressure a QB you can't play good D. We need a big time pass rusher. There will not be one in FA. Teams keep those or trade them before FA. Plus these two safeties we have need to be gone. You can't win with that. Harris does zero and the other guy is finished. Rudy needs to go also. We might make the playoffs and then get beat
Exactly what Zimmer brings, mediocrity, want a superbowl and a team that can actually win it for a decent window. Sure he does alright but fails in comparison to some of the other head coaches and franchise, good, but not good enough.
If you look at the last 3 NFC Super Bowl teams the window has already been shut. The Rams are in but say bye bye to them. I don't care if they can the entire front office. I just gave my opinion of Zimmer. IMO our biggest problem is dealing with a future HOF QB in Rodgers. Most experts have stated that he's declining. He will probably win the MVP. I don't call that declining. I wish he will quite because he's a big challenge for any team ours included. We need to develop a great D. One for the ages. That starts with big time pressure on the QB. I'd like a defensive coach. In particular a guy that can bring Ryans 46 back. The 46 was all about getting after the QB. No QB wanted to face the D. That's a dream I know. And I also know it's not coming back. Pete Carrol does a great job and he to has a future HOF QB. What he forgot was the legion of boom did it for him. Now he has the legion of gloom and that won't do it. But he's in the mix. Just don't go to Green Bay again or say good nite. Hope I cleared that up about Zim.
0 x

VikeFanInEagleLand
Veteran

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:54 pm

CharVike wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:42 pm
Most experts have stated that he's declining. He will probably win the MVP. I don't call that declining.
Experts Schmexperts! They don't know what they're talking about most of the time. All some people seem to be able to see is a players age. They can't seem to see they're true performance. Farvre was declining too, and then showed up in Minnesota and had his best year. Adrian Peterson became a backup too early because he was too old, not because his abilities had declined much. You can finally see that they have, but for quite a while, he had starting RB abilities, but was sitting in the bench because he was "too old for a running back".

No one is in the class of Rogers & Mahomes right now, though I really like Josh Allen.
0 x

CharVike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CharVike » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:16 pm

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:54 pm
CharVike wrote:
Most experts have stated that he's declining. He will probably win the MVP. I don't call that declining.
Experts Schmexperts! They don't know what they're talking about most of the time. All some people seem to be able to see is a players age. They can't seem to see they're true performance. Farvre was declining too, and then showed up in Minnesota and had his best year. Adrian Peterson became a backup too early because he was too old, not because his abilities had declined much. You can finally see that they have, but for quite a while, he had starting RB abilities, but was sitting in the bench because he was "too old for a running back".

No one is in the class of Rogers & Mahomes right now, though I really like Josh Allen.
I agree with your evaluation. Our problem is controlling Rodgers. IMO that means big time pressure. That's not easy to do.
0 x

StpViking
Backup

Post by StpViking » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:22 am

Zimm Evaluation:

Positives:
Well if the franchise fan base was looking for consistency, we have that in a Zimm team, playoffs every other year. I expect 2021 to be a playoff year and then lose badly in one of those games.

Negatives:
Still amateurish at clock management. I have seen too often Kirk Cousin ready to run to the sidelines and pull Zimm's head off for calling times outs at the wrong moment. Zimm is just not one of these guys that knows how to manage the clock.

2021 Team Outlook:

Playoff team, good draft, probably win the division. Not a Superbowl winning team no matter how much hype they receive for 2021. Overall, same ole same ole.
0 x
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:40 pm

Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:37 pm
IIsweet wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:45 pm
Wow.... hate say it looks like a 4-12 season, but it definitely does not look like a promising schedule. Or, maybe I have lost faith in this regime ???
Vikings were way better than their 7-9 record. (which, btw is better than one of this years playoff teams - from NFC east). Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Rams don't scare me. If the Vikings can't win 11, I'll be unimpressed.
And with a good head coach we would have been in the playoffs this year. We could have maybe been one and done. But Zimmer is the problem. Mass exodus of defensive players...Every year new Offensive Coordinater . All points to Zimmer.
0 x

VikeFanInEagleLand
Veteran

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:40 pm

halfgiz wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:40 pm

And with a good head coach we would have been in the playoffs this year. We could have maybe been one and done. But Zimmer is the problem. Mass exodus of defensive players...Every year new Offensive Coordinater . All points to Zimmer.
I agree with that. The defense wasn't good enough to go deep into the playoffs this year, but they could have at least made the playoffs with better coaching. My opinion was that Zimmer potentially cost the Vikings 3 games this year.
1 x

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:58 pm

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:54 pm
CharVike wrote:

Yeah, the "experts" WERE saying Rodgers was declining. With two straight years of 62% completions, his play going into 2020 hadn't been up to his usual standards. As you mentioned, the so-called experts attributed that to age. Add in the fact that the Pukers drafted a quarterback in the first round, and it played right into the story they were telling.

I guess a 48-5 TD-to-interception ratio tends to change the narrative.
0 x
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

CharVike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CharVike » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:02 am

halfgiz wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:40 pm

Mass exodus of defensive players. Lets see... Griff/Linval both are old guys who will never be at the top of their game again. Careers end at some point. Read were Griff might look at a return in 2021. I say no thanks. Rhodes he can't play man coverage anymore and now he plays zone. What top stars have left? I don't see any. Shurmur and Steph left to become HC's. They didn't take anything to get out. Flip looked like a good hire but wasn't. Kubiak has had past health problems maybe that is part of it. I don't see him jumping to another team. Perhaps Zim talked him into coming back and trying again. We lost Barr in FA to the Jets but he took less to stay here. He's considered a star and stayed. We lacked the horses this year to challenge. We started the year 1-5 and most felt ok we can get that franchise QB now. He dug the team out of a free fall. There isn't a coach out there that could make our current starting 11 on D a top flight D. It's a bunch of kids learning on the job, two safeties who didn't play to their past level (say bye bye) and a D line that doesn't have a player right now. Some young developing guys yes. Our O played good. JJ was a big help. But we still need two new Gs and a C that can hang in there and hold the point. This wasn't close to playoff caliber talent level of a team. Winning 7 was an amazing accomplishment. I was hoping for the 1st pick so we could get the only QB in this draft. Players won't lay down.
0 x

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:32 pm

Wayne's, Mac, Kearse and Rhodes leaving hurt Zimmer.
Then add Hughes injury.
Also Griff and Linval leaving hurt the line. Sure they had a replacement but he opted out.
And you see how long Yannick lasted...he wanted out and was gone.

We should have won a couple more but Zimmer couldn't maintain the lead. Mostly due to being out coached and calling stupid plays.
0 x