Tell me again how Zimmer is a great coach?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 404

Tell me again how Zimmer is a great coach?

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:06 pm

It is really unexusable to miss the playoffs every other year with great talent on the team, and do not give me 3rd winning percentage behind Grant and Green crap! Great coaches do not miss the playoffs every other year with great talent on the team, it is time for Zimmer to go!
0 x

kidfozzy.
Backup
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:18 pm
x 18

Re: Tell me again how Zimmer is a great coach?

Post by kidfozzy. » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:10 pm

Injuries
COVID season
Vikings rebuild

Like it or not, Zim will stay as head coach for next season.
0 x

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 9013
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky
x 222

Re: Tell me again how Zimmer is a great coach?

Post by Cliff » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:12 pm

Zimmer and Spielman are handcuffed to Cousins, I believe. If they haven't developed a winner by the time his contract is up they'll go with him.

Zimmer's a good defensive coach but his defenses (going back to pre-Vikings) tend to be exposed in the playoffs.

I'm personally ready for a change but I think we should strap in. Zimmer is coach at least through 2021.
2 x

User avatar
TSonn
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2049
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
x 90

Re: Tell me again how Zimmer is a great coach?

Post by TSonn » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:18 pm

Cliff wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:12 pm
Zimmer and Spielman are handcuffed to Cousins, I believe. If they haven't developed a winner by the time his contract is up they'll go with him.

Zimmer's a good defensive coach but his defenses (going back to pre-Vikings) tend to be exposed in the playoffs.

I'm personally ready for a change but I think we should strap in. Zimmer is coach at least through 2021.
If they keep extending him and getting him to restructure they will never leave.

Funny thing is Kirk has made huge improvements with his pocket awareness this year but Zimmer hasn't made any improvements as a head coach since 2014.
1 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12465
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 549

Re: Tell me again how Zimmer is a great coach?

Post by S197 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:20 pm

Cliff wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:12 pm
Zimmer and Spielman are handcuffed to Cousins, I believe. If they haven't developed a winner by the time his contract is up they'll go with him.

Zimmer's a good defensive coach but his defenses (going back to pre-Vikings) tend to be exposed in the playoffs.

I'm personally ready for a change but I think we should strap in. Zimmer is coach at least through 2021.
They need to clean house. Get rid of Spielman, Zimmer, and Cousins. Take the $31M cap hit next year and suffer through a 2-3 win season. The Vikings are the living embodiment of the sunk cost fallacy.
2 x

User avatar
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:28 pm
x 26

Re: Tell me again how Zimmer is a great coach?

Post by Boon » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:37 pm

I don't know this for a fact. But go back to when it was announced that cousins was extended and search for his first reaction to it, iirc he didn't look pleased at all. Zimmer didnt let waynes and alexander walk to extend kirk. He also didnt extend kirk. He didnt make barr get hurt for the year. He didnt injure hunters neck and make him have surgery. He didnt make pierce cancel his season due to covid. He didnt make bailey miss 7 kicks in 2 weeks.

This is a coach with a winning record who IMO is getting undercut by the gm in a way. I'd be willing to bet that he didnt want cousins back after this season, and now hes stuck with him. I understand peoples frustrations but if we're being honest the vast majority of bad things that have happened to this team have been really well placed lapses in execution. Like last week. And look at this game, if thats jefferson instead of one legged willy we're probably all over sportscenter
0 x

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6828
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 385

Re: Tell me again how Zimmer is a great coach?

Post by VikingLord » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:43 pm

Up until today the team seemed to have a focus and an intensity that they lacked today. I gave Zimmer credit for that because the way the team started the season the players could have easily packed it in. I've watched players on several other bad teams this year do exactly that (anybody whose watched the Cowboys secondary the last few weeks knows what I mean).

Today was the first time all season where it didn't look like the Vikings had that focus and intensity. The Bears did. I don't know if that is on Zimmer or what caused it, but the Bears bullied the Vikings around today on both sides of the ball.

Could be the Bears are just a better team overall, or it could be Zimmer and the coaches didn't have the Vikings mentally ready. Whatever it was, it was a big step backwards for everyone wearing purple. This is not how they want to finish the season.
0 x

User avatar
IIsweet
Franchise Player
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:02 pm
x 27

Re: Tell me again how Zimmer is a great coach?

Post by IIsweet » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Everyone is dealing with COVID...
Everyone deals with injuries..
It is not only us. Zimmer is an average coach who wins games against subpar teams and loses to playoff caliber teams.
He will be here in 2021.
Honestly, we are stuck with Rick, Zim, and Kirk... I do not see the Wilfs as making changes types. I see them as businessmen who see that they are making money under this regime.
0 x

User avatar
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:28 pm
x 26

Re: Tell me again how Zimmer is a great coach?

Post by Boon » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:20 pm

Dude inherited a complete dumpster fire on both sides of the ball,managed to turn it around and has a winning record overall in spite of having cassel, bridgewater, bradford, keenum and cousins as his starting quarterbacks. Im not ready to toss him aside yet
0 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 404

Re: Tell me again how Zimmer is a great coach?

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:25 pm

Boon wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:20 pm
Dude inherited a complete dumpster fire on both sides of the ball,managed to turn it around and has a winning record overall in spite of having cassel, bridgewater, bradford, keenum and cousins as his starting quarterbacks. Im not ready to toss him aside yet
So you are telling me you are happy with Zimmer missing the playoffs every other year? Who would be happy with that?
1 x

User avatar
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:28 pm
x 26

Re: Tell me again how Zimmer is a great coach?

Post by Boon » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:51 pm

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:25 pm
Boon wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:20 pm
Dude inherited a complete dumpster fire on both sides of the ball,managed to turn it around and has a winning record overall in spite of having cassel, bridgewater, bradford, keenum and cousins as his starting quarterbacks. Im not ready to toss him aside yet
So you are telling me you are happy with Zimmer missing the playoffs every other year? Who would be happy with that?
Yeah i'm completely happy with that. That what you want to hear? Feeling better?
0 x

User avatar
Raz
Starter
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:06 pm
x 19

Re: Tell me again how Zimmer is a great coach?

Post by Raz » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:05 pm

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:06 pm
It is really unexusable to miss the playoffs every other year with great talent on the team, and do not give me 3rd winning percentage behind Grant and Green crap! Great coaches do not miss the playoffs every other year with great talent on the team, it is time for Zimmer to go!
Not sure we can go with the great talent on this team line. Offense has some nice players in Jefferson,cook thielen and who else Kirk is average the o line is average on its best day no depth at wr. Rudy is a no factor irv smith might be something Conklin is a decent role player etc.

The defense is trash the rookie corners might be decent pro doubtful there is any all pros in the group.
Barr hurt I’m not a fan but he’s better than the rest of them, Kendricks is awesome Harry is ok yet but wrong side of thirty Harris is hot garbage the d line minus hunter are perineal back ups.

Special teams are crap

So when we say a talented roster I don’t know maybe we just look at it with purple glasses.
I’m sure lions fans think they have good players too.

In short it’s year number 43 of disappointment
0 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2231
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 359

Re: Tell me again how Zimmer is a great coach?

Post by StumpHunter » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Raz wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:05 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:06 pm
It is really unexusable to miss the playoffs every other year with great talent on the team, and do not give me 3rd winning percentage behind Grant and Green crap! Great coaches do not miss the playoffs every other year with great talent on the team, it is time for Zimmer to go!
Not sure we can go with the great talent on this team line. Offense has some nice players in Jefferson,cook thielen and who else Kirk is average the o line is average on its best day no depth at wr. Rudy is a no factor irv smith might be something Conklin is a decent role player etc.

The defense is trash the rookie corners might be decent pro doubtful there is any all pros in the group.
Barr hurt I’m not a fan but he’s better than the rest of them, Kendricks is awesome Harry is ok yet but wrong side of thirty Harris is hot garbage the d line minus hunter are perineal back ups.

Special teams are crap

So when we say a talented roster I don’t know maybe we just look at it with purple glasses.
I’m sure lions fans think they have good players too.

In short it’s year number 43 of disappointment
You look at this defense, and there are 2 guys who played today that could compete for a starting job on pretty much any other team. The rest would be depth guys at best.

We just don't have the talent to compete, and even before the injuries and Covid it was a terribly flawed defense. This was never going to be a good defensive line with Stephen and Odenigbo starting on it. Average maybe, but it was going to struggle to consistently generate pressure even with a 100% healthy Hunter and Pierce. This secondary is young, but 2 of the starters the Vikings had seen for multiple seasons in Hill and Hughes, and should have known they weren't good enough.

Offensively there is 0 excuse for being the very average offense they are this season, since everyone that matters is healthy and playing. This should be the best offense Zimmer has ever coached, with how difficult it is to stop Cook this season, but for whatever reason the Vikings have just not been able to capitalize on the fact every defense is selling out to stop the RB consistently. Check that, they do capitalize for a little while, then they go through these dry spells where they just can't move the ball. Then in crunch time when Cook is no longer a factor because we need to pass. Poof! It is week 1 and 2 again and the O looks putrid.

The talent just isn't there, and it won't be next season either. I expect the offense to go mostly unchanged, with maybe a new LG or RG with Cleveland moving over. On defense, this is what you are looking at:

CB1: Dantzler
CB2: Gladney
CB3: Hughes
SS: Smith
FS: ?
RDE: Wonnum
NT: Pierce
3 Tech: ?
LDE: Hunter
WIL: Barr
ML: Kendricks

Probably enough growth there and guys coming back to make the D respectable, and propel the team into the WC round with no real chance of competing with the really great teams in the playoffs, but nothing anyone fears. Enough to get Rick and Zimmer one more year as fans with lowered expectations due to 2020, get excited about yet another failure in the playoffs.

I just don't see how anyone has any hope with this team.
2 x

User avatar
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6648
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm
x 17

Re: Tell me again how Zimmer is a great coach?

Post by HardcoreVikesFan » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:41 pm

I am done with Mike Zimmer. I have been done with Spielman since 2013.

This team will never win anything significant with these idiots running the show. I am tired of it. 2020 is just another wasted year in the soon-to-be 60 years of this pathetic franchise.

Super Bowl isn't coming with this current roster. 2021 won't be the year. We don't have the salary cap equity to make significant changes this offseason. Draft capital won't change anything - a bunch of rookies running around with their heads cut off.

I am beyond jaded. For my sanity, I am not watching the last two games of the year. There just is no point.
1 x
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.

User avatar
TSonn
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2049
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
x 90

Re: Tell me again how Zimmer is a great coach?

Post by TSonn » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:48 pm

Boon wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:20 pm
Dude inherited a complete dumpster fire on both sides of the ball,managed to turn it around and has a winning record overall in spite of having cassel, bridgewater, bradford, keenum and cousins as his starting quarterbacks. Im not ready to toss him aside yet
He inherited a crappy team but he's also responsible for the QB carousel after Ponder/Cassel. 6 years is plenty of time for a coach to build the team in the vision he wants (in coordination with the GM) and 2017 was the best we got. Your comments made sense up until 2017 but it's very clear now to even the most novice football fan that the game has passed him by and his philosophies for the offense and defense are outdated.

Zimmer's philosophy puts so much pressure on the offense and the defense to not make mistakes. We have a narrow path to victory every game regardless of who we play. Compare that to more modern philosophies where an INT or fumble here and there is not a huge deal because of how quickly the offense can move and score the next drive. With us, a turnover is a huge game changer and typically just wrecks the whole game unless we get one back.
0 x