Justin Jefferson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Justin Jefferson

Post by VikingPaul73 »

No doubt this was a Slam Dunk A+ trade for Spielman. JJ is comparable in his rookie season to Diggs in his prime, he is younger, cheaper, and has a much better attitude

My only comment of caution is, will JJ become a head case with fame and fortune. It’s easy to have a great attitude as a Rookie when you’re new to the league and haven’t proven yourself yet . But what about 4 or 5 years from now when he is a proven star and has a fat contract ??? Will he still be happy in a run first offense ? Or will he start to demand the ball too???

Don’t get me wrong I’m not predicting this or anything - JJ appears to have a great attitude and he seems very genuine. I’m just cautioning that $$$ and fame often bring out the worst in people
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:03 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:45 am

Ehhh, I'd be careful what you say. On Monday night vs the Bears, Justin Jefferson had 5 targets, 5 catches and 104 yards....on THIRD down alone
And ... 29 of his 42 receptions have gone for first downs. I realize that's not a 3rd-down stat, but it tells you he's not just picking up garbage catches.

PHP has brought this up many times, and it bears repeating. We need to remember that Justin Jefferson was not a starter for the first two games of the season. Yet he's got 762 yards receiving. As for being fed, Stefon Diggs pissed and moaned all last year when he got 94 targets, which by my math is almost exactly the same per-game rate that JJ is receiving this year. Meanwhile Jefferson has had 5 or fewer targets in 6 of the Vikings' 9 games, yet hasn't said a word about getting the ball.

I can't find anything not to like about this kid, or this trade. I mean, he's playing and acting like a veteran. This trade was a huge win for us. If Buffalo fans see it as a win for them ... well, good for Buffalo fans.
I stand by what I said. I'd trust Diggs over JJ in critical situations. I love JJ's hands and size, but 4 really good games in his career is not enough for me to ignore Digg's body of work. DIggs does it all. Possession, deep, over the middle. I would love for JJ to make me forget about Diggs. If JJ has a Moss type game vs Dallas, maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon. But for now, it's too early, for me anyway.

and TBH, I wouldn't care if JJ starts asking for the ball if he keeps getting open and Cousin's stops feeding him. Maybe not his rookie year, but when he gets established. If he's competitive, he will speak up. If you remember, it was Thielen that threw Cousins under the bus in 2019.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

808vikingsfan wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:08 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:03 am
And ... 29 of his 42 receptions have gone for first downs. I realize that's not a 3rd-down stat, but it tells you he's not just picking up garbage catches.

PHP has brought this up many times, and it bears repeating. We need to remember that Justin Jefferson was not a starter for the first two games of the season. Yet he's got 762 yards receiving. As for being fed, Stefon Diggs pissed and moaned all last year when he got 94 targets, which by my math is almost exactly the same per-game rate that JJ is receiving this year. Meanwhile Jefferson has had 5 or fewer targets in 6 of the Vikings' 9 games, yet hasn't said a word about getting the ball.

I can't find anything not to like about this kid, or this trade. I mean, he's playing and acting like a veteran. This trade was a huge win for us. If Buffalo fans see it as a win for them ... well, good for Buffalo fans.
I stand by what I said. I'd trust Diggs over JJ in critical situations. I love JJ's hands and size, but 4 really good games in his career is not enough for me to ignore Digg's body of work. DIggs does it all. Possession, deep, over the middle. I would love for JJ to make me forget about Diggs. If JJ has a Moss type game vs Dallas, maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon. But for now, it's too early, for me anyway.

and TBH, I wouldn't care if JJ starts asking for the ball if he keeps getting open and Cousin's stops feeding him. Maybe not his rookie year, but when he gets established. If he's competitive, he will speak up. If you remember, it was Thielen that threw Cousins under the bus in 2019.
Thielen also didnt cry his way out of town. Diggs on the other hand...did. Thielen looks like he gets along just fine with Cousins. You can also tell they are on the same page.

As for Jefferson, they showed the stat tonight....since week 3, Jefferson has the most yards in the NFL of any WR. And he's a "#2" on this team and a rookie and he's outperforming Diggs who is a #1 in Buffalo and gets a million targets a game. Jefferson is currently on pace to have a better year than Diggs has ever had as a Vikings. There is nothing "early" about it, Justin Jefferson has shown he's just as good or better than Diggs very quickly. And Jefferson hasnt even hit his prime. Diggs has about 3 years of relevance left.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:15 pm
808vikingsfan wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:08 am

Thielen also didnt cry his way out of town. Diggs on the other hand...did. Thielen looks like he gets along just fine with Cousins. You can also tell they are on the same page.

As for Jefferson, they showed the stat tonight....since week 3, Jefferson has the most yards in the NFL of any WR. And he's a "#2" on this team and a rookie and he's outperforming Diggs who is a #1 in Buffalo and gets a million targets a game. Jefferson is currently on pace to have a better year than Diggs has ever had as a Vikings. There is nothing "early" about it, Justin Jefferson has shown he's just as good or better than Diggs very quickly. And Jefferson hasnt even hit his prime. Diggs has about 3 years of relevance left.
Damn Jefferson dropped that 3rd down pass that would have went for a first down but that is okay, he is forgiven, he played well overall
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Diggs is a far smarter player.....He bailed on the current joke in Minny! JJ wont be far behind unless Ziggy gets rid of Zim/Spielman. What Top Tier player would waste their career in this mess?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

chicagopurple wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:48 am Diggs is a far smarter player.....He bailed on the current joke in Minny! JJ wont be far behind unless Ziggy gets rid of Zim/Spielman. What Top Tier player would waste their career in this mess?
A far smarter player huh? The same guy that chucked his helmet vs. GB a few years ago and it ended up costing us? Or the same guy that's currently in Buffalo and walked his way back to the line of scrimmage vs because he was whining because #1 (and most important to him) he didnt have the gaudy numbers and targets that night and #2, they were losing?? That guy? Yeah, sure sounds like the smarter player. He's even throwing a bitc# fit in Buffalo when he doesnt get his way.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Its such a stereotype...yet seems to be a true one....that WRs are always the team Prima Dona's.
So many of the great WRs are high maintenance little flowers.....its an odd phenomenon for sure.
I can think of a few really tough great WRs that were work horses with a great attitude, but they mostly go back to the old days.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

chicagopurple wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:48 am Diggs is a far smarter player.....He bailed on the current joke in Minny! JJ wont be far behind unless Ziggy gets rid of Zim/Spielman. What Top Tier player would waste their career in this mess?
Would that be the same top-tier player who has never reached the extremely low bar of being selected to a Pro Bowl?

Remember, 2/3 of the Pro Bowl vote weighting comes from players and coaches — which tells you what players and coaches think of Stefon Diggs.

As far as situations go ... he left a team that had won two division titles in his five years and had just won a road playoff game against a 13-3 team ... for Buffalo, which hadn't won a playoff game or even remotely contended for its division in 25 years. So the wisdom of that move is at least arguable. Also, maybe there's something to be said about people who do their best to improve a situation, rather than run away from it.

I'll take Justin Jefferson every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

You seem really frustrated by yesterday's result, and while I can understand that frustration as a longtime fan of the Vikings, if you take a step back and look at the bigger picture I think you'll see two things that should make you feel better:

1) The Vikings are improving rapidly from where they started the season despite some significant challenges and setbacks. The two areas of the team that were the biggest question marks (OL and cornerbacks) have both shown signs of real progress and cause for optimism. The team overall has shown a lot of character and fire even when things looked much bleaker than they do now. If you focus on the overall trend of improvement and not on the point failures that continue to occur in each game (including the recent wins), I think you will see a team on the rise.

2) Diggs is at the top of his game right now. What we saw last year and what you're seeing from him this year is as good as he's going to get. Justin Jefferson is a rookie. What you're seeing from him is his rookie year, and he's much more likely to improve further and become even better. So the mere fact that you're talking about Jefferson in the same context as Diggs this season says a lot about who got the better deal in the trade. Jefferson also doesn't have attitude issues as far as I can tell. His attitude is one that wants to contribute to the team winning games. He holds himself accountable when he blows it. He's not going to blame the QB, the coaches, or the refs.

There are so many reasons for us fans to be more positive about this team's future than negative about it, even with the recent loss to the Cowboys. Keep the faith Chicago. I think that faith is going to be rewarded.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Jefferson has been without question the best rookie in the NFL this year, however he has two road blocks to winning the RotY.
First QB bias. Since Burrow went down JJ has a chance, but Herbert has been playing well.
Second JJ plays for the Vikings. Definite anti-Vikings bias.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Go cheer for the Bears and Bills. We really don't need you around here.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I was trying to look up the highest receiving yards in a rookie season, and stumbled across this bleacher report article (which is "best" rookie seasons as a WR, not necessarily most yards).

Pretty cool 3/10 are in purple!!! The only problem is that when Jefferson cracks the top 10 he will knock out Percy :rofl: :rofl:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/741 ... fl-history

In terms of most yards as a rookie WR, it looks be Bill Groman with 1473 yards for the Houston Oilers in 1960. Right now JJ is 434 yards away so would need to average more than 108.5 yards/game to break. A more modern rookie record is Boldin with 1377 so JJ would need 68.5 yards a game to break this.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I saw a great segment this morning on Good Morning Football. Nate Burleson provided the analysis.

Burleson pointed to some subtleties that make Jefferson so good. One is his eyes. Yes, his eyes.

Look at his TD yesterday. He was lined up out wide right and ran a post-corner. When he got to the middle of the field, he turned his head toward Cousins. The moment the DB turned his head, JJ turned and broke for the corner. The DB had absolutely no chance.

Burleson talked about the patience it takes to run a route like that. Most young WRs just go balls-to-the-walls from the snap and try to beat you with speed and athleticism. It's not all about that, although JJ has plenty. It's also about having some guile and suddenness and the ability to set you up.

And the scary part ... JJ is doing wily veteran stuff like this in his 12th game. Has been since the beginning. He's in his first year, but he's no rookie. Hold on to your hats, folks. This kid is going to do amazing things.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Jefferson became the only rookie in Vikings history to have five 100-yard receiving games in a season, breaking Moss' record of four set in 1998. He finished with nine catches for 121 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's win.

Justin should win Rookie of the Year, it would be robbery if he does not
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Watching the Bills / 49ers game and realize how impossible it is for me to like Diggs now that he's not a Viking. Very good receiver, but what a punk. I'm glad he's gone and we have Jefferson.