Barr's future with Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Barr's future with Vikings

Post by Maelstrom88 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:30 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:41 am

Hunter isn't going to ask for a raise considering he's injured all year. Cousins will probably take another pay-cut if it means signing Reiff to another deal, and Wilson has been the 2nd best player on defense this year behind Kendricks. I'd say give him a four year contract for an average amount and see where he stands on it.
Reiff is under contract next season and Cousins has never taken a pay cut, so I don't know why he would start now when he has 35 million guaranteed coming his way in 2022.

If you meant restructuring Cousins contract in 2022 to sign Reiff, that is a possibility, and the Vikings could do what they should have done this year, which is move his cap hit to the next season with a void year. That way they would have the option to extend him if they wanted, or just let him walk and eat 20 million or so in cap they were going to eat anyway.
I forgot he was under contract next year. He's scheduled to make about 14 million. He's had a good year but has it been that good when you can cut him and save 11 million? I'm not so sure. Depends on how they view Ezra I suppose.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Barr and Kyle Rudolph are the albatross contracts at the moment.

Harrison Smith and Riley Reiff offer a lot of cap savings but can easily be shed without dead money. I expect they will either be released or restructured. Barr would probably have to be traded and we can all hope that Rudolph will just retire, but I wouldn't bet on it.

This team is 8 million in the hole next season and moves will have to be made, but they have more or less rebuilt on the fly if they are able to get things turned around with the young pieces developing during the season. In two years, they could have dumped every major contract except Kirk Cousins, who would, however, offer 35 million in cap savings (with 10 dead money) should they move on from him at that time.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:44 pm Barr and Kyle Rudolph are the albatross contracts at the moment.

Harrison Smith and Riley Reiff offer a lot of cap savings but can easily be shed without dead money. I expect they will either be released or restructured. Barr would probably have to be traded and we can all hope that Rudolph will just retire, but I wouldn't bet on it.

This team is 8 million in the hole next season and moves will have to be made, but they have more or less rebuilt on the fly if they are able to get things turned around with the young pieces developing during the season. In two years, they could have dumped every major contract except Kirk Cousins, who would, however, offer 35 million in cap savings (with 10 dead money) should they move on from him at that time.
You make a lot of common sense points here. But I would really hate to part with Smith and Reiff. with Smith, they just desperately need to keep some veteran leadership in the secondary, as I'm convinced Harris is gone. And Reiff? Man, I would just hate to mess with this OL.....they are playing better as a unit than I have seen them play in YEARS. Imagine if we could start next year with some continuity and rolling in week 1 like they are right now! That's tough to pass up. Really, other than Dozier I wouldn't want to change anything right now. Even Dozier is serviceable even if below average.

Barr and Harris I think will be gone. Rudolph? It would be great if he would retire or happily restructure. I know they love him and he's been great off the field so I'd hate to see an ugly end or a holdout. But man, purely based on on-field pay, he's very expensive

will be another interesting offseason, that's for sure!!