Barr's future with Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3214
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm
x 104

Barr's future with Vikings

Post by VikingPaul73 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:36 am

With Eric Wilson playing well, what are your thoughts on what the Vikings will do with Barr this offseason?

I know Zimmer loves Barr, but wouldn't it make more sense, from a value perspective, to release Barr and use that $ to sign Wilson to a reasonable deal and have additional $$ for other signings? We will be in a tough Cap position this offseason and Harris, Wilson, and Dozier are all FAs, among others

Not sure how the numbers would work out exactly, but would you rather have Harris and Wilson or Barr?

Or would you rather keep Barr and Wilson, do not sign Harris, and use the Harris $$ for Wilson and maybe a FA S? Or draft a S early (really wish we still had that 2nd round pick!!!)

thoughts?
1 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 291

Re: Barr's future with Vikings

Post by fiestavike » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:22 pm

VikingPaul73 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:36 am
With Eric Wilson playing well, what are your thoughts on what the Vikings will do with Barr this offseason?

I know Zimmer loves Barr, but wouldn't it make more sense, from a value perspective, to release Barr and use that $ to sign Wilson to a reasonable deal and have additional $$ for other signings? We will be in a tough Cap position this offseason and Harris, Wilson, and Dozier are all FAs, among others

Not sure how the numbers would work out exactly, but would you rather have Harris and Wilson or Barr?

Or would you rather keep Barr and Wilson, do not sign Harris, and use the Harris $$ for Wilson and maybe a FA S? Or draft a S early (really wish we still had that 2nd round pick!!!)

thoughts?
I'd dump Barr and Harris, keep Wilson if possible.
1 x

User avatar
Rhodes Closed
Transition Player
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am
Location: Sleepy Eye, Minnesota
x 98

Re: Barr's future with Vikings

Post by Rhodes Closed » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:54 pm

Eric Wilson is not far from a drop-off against Barr, so if I were Spielman, I'd look at trading Barr to possibly a team with a bad LB corps for some higher draft picks.
0 x

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6722
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 341

Re: Barr's future with Vikings

Post by VikingLord » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:38 pm

Put Barr back on the field and shift Wilson to the other side?

I don't see Wilson getting some huge payday after the season. I mean, could it happen? Sure, I suppose it could if he plays lights-out and the Vikings win the Superbowl or something, but neither of those is likely to happen.

As for what to do with Harris, I really hope that if Spielman sees nothing else this season, he remembers why almost nobody dishes out huge contracts to safeties, much less to two safeties at the same time. More than likely, the Vikings will let Harris test free agency and be content to pick up a compensatory pick should he go elsewhere. I'm sure they'll try to extend him, but I don't see them offering him huge money again or putting a tag on him. It just makes zero sense.
1 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 374

Re: Barr's future with Vikings

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:51 pm

Rhodes Closed wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:54 pm
Eric Wilson is not far from a drop-off against Barr, so if I were Spielman, I'd look at trading Barr to possibly a team with a bad LB corps for some higher draft picks.
I would be surprised if anyone trades for Barr, he is too inconsistent
1 x

User avatar
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2932
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 am
Location: Seattle, Wa
x 149

Re: Barr's future with Vikings

Post by PacificNorseWest » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:57 pm

I was rarely a fan of Barr and was low-key happy he was leaving...until he reneged on the Jets. He dissappear for long stretches...games even, whereas Wilson may not be as talented, but he shows up when needed at times and always with the effort.
1 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 374

Re: Barr's future with Vikings

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:19 pm

PacificNorseWest wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:57 pm
I was rarely a fan of Barr and was low-key happy he was leaving...until he reneged on the Jets. He dissappear for long stretches...games even, whereas Wilson may not be as talented, but he shows up when needed at times and always with the effort.
They need to put a policy that once a player or coach signs with a new team, they can not change their minds to go back to their former teams
0 x

User avatar
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3214
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm
x 104

Re: Barr's future with Vikings

Post by VikingPaul73 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:56 am

fiestavike wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:22 pm
VikingPaul73 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:36 am
With Eric Wilson playing well, what are your thoughts on what the Vikings will do with Barr this offseason?

I know Zimmer loves Barr, but wouldn't it make more sense, from a value perspective, to release Barr and use that $ to sign Wilson to a reasonable deal and have additional $$ for other signings? We will be in a tough Cap position this offseason and Harris, Wilson, and Dozier are all FAs, among others

Not sure how the numbers would work out exactly, but would you rather have Harris and Wilson or Barr?

Or would you rather keep Barr and Wilson, do not sign Harris, and use the Harris $$ for Wilson and maybe a FA S? Or draft a S early (really wish we still had that 2nd round pick!!!)

thoughts?
I'd dump Barr and Harris, keep Wilson if possible.
this is probably the most likely outcome, although I think Zim will fight to keep Barr. I like Barr, but I don't see such a huge difference between him and Wilson to warrant the extra salary. I wonder what Wilson will be demanding this offseason?
0 x

User avatar
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3214
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm
x 104

Re: Barr's future with Vikings

Post by VikingPaul73 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:58 am

Rhodes Closed wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:54 pm
Eric Wilson is not far from a drop-off against Barr, so if I were Spielman, I'd look at trading Barr to possibly a team with a bad LB corps for some higher draft picks.
I didn't even think of the trade option. That's a great idea if they can find a buyer at that salary.
0 x

User avatar
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3214
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm
x 104

Re: Barr's future with Vikings

Post by VikingPaul73 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:09 am

VikingLord wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:38 pm
Put Barr back on the field and shift Wilson to the other side?

I don't see Wilson getting some huge payday after the season. I mean, could it happen? Sure, I suppose it could if he plays lights-out and the Vikings win the Superbowl or something, but neither of those is likely to happen.

As for what to do with Harris, I really hope that if Spielman sees nothing else this season, he remembers why almost nobody dishes out huge contracts to safeties, much less to two safeties at the same time. More than likely, the Vikings will let Harris test free agency and be content to pick up a compensatory pick should he go elsewhere. I'm sure they'll try to extend him, but I don't see them offering him huge money again or putting a tag on him. It just makes zero sense.
I think both Barr and Harris will be gone.....but you are right they're much more likely to part with Harris. In fact, I would be shocked to see him back in purple next year. Not sure what they will do at that position next year - they won't have much to spend in FA so maybe the draft or one of the young guys on the roster (although none have shown much promise). Maybe use one of their 3rd round picks next year.

How much do you think Wilson will command? I agree it won't be a huge payday but it might be pricier than we think
0 x

User avatar
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 215

Re: Barr's future with Vikings

Post by Maelstrom88 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:01 am

I have to agree with others that Harris and Barr should both be gone next year barring drastic pay cuts. Their production just doesn't match what they probably want to get paid. This team needs to free up money. Another question I have is are they really going to pay Kirk Cousins 40 million dollars next year and what happens to Riley Reiff? Eric Wilson so far looks like a playmaker and I think everybody would like him back as long as it doesn't break the bank. Then you get to the question of whether Hunter wants a raise and how much that would be? A lot of questions need to be answered and the cap might be going down next year.
0 x
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.

User avatar
Rhodes Closed
Transition Player
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am
Location: Sleepy Eye, Minnesota
x 98

Re: Barr's future with Vikings

Post by Rhodes Closed » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:41 am

Maelstrom88 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:01 am
I have to agree with others that Harris and Barr should both be gone next year barring drastic pay cuts. Their production just doesn't match what they probably want to get paid. This team needs to free up money. Another question I have is are they really going to pay Kirk Cousins 40 million dollars next year and what happens to Riley Reiff? Eric Wilson so far looks like a playmaker and I think everybody would like him back as long as it doesn't break the bank. Then you get to the question of whether Hunter wants a raise and how much that would be? A lot of questions need to be answered and the cap might be going down next year.
Hunter isn't going to ask for a raise considering he's injured all year. Cousins will probably take another pay-cut if it means signing Reiff to another deal, and Wilson has been the 2nd best player on defense this year behind Kendricks. I'd say give him a four year contract for an average amount and see where he stands on it.
1 x

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6722
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 341

Re: Barr's future with Vikings

Post by VikingLord » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:18 pm

VikingPaul73 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:09 am
How much do you think Wilson will command? I agree it won't be a huge payday but it might be pricier than we think
He'll likely end up as a middle tier free agent. That should make his price very reasonable for the Vikings should they want him back or even if they want to extend him.

The only way his price goes up is if the Vikings as a team have a lot of success in the playoffs and he stands out. Then his price could way up. I just don't see either thing happening. I think he'll continue to flash at times as the year goes on and while things are starting to look up for the team overall, they have a long way to go before people can start taking them seriously as a playoff contender, much less a team that could make some noise in the playoffs.
0 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 338

Re: Barr's future with Vikings

Post by StumpHunter » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:30 pm

Rhodes Closed wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:41 am
Maelstrom88 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:01 am
I have to agree with others that Harris and Barr should both be gone next year barring drastic pay cuts. Their production just doesn't match what they probably want to get paid. This team needs to free up money. Another question I have is are they really going to pay Kirk Cousins 40 million dollars next year and what happens to Riley Reiff? Eric Wilson so far looks like a playmaker and I think everybody would like him back as long as it doesn't break the bank. Then you get to the question of whether Hunter wants a raise and how much that would be? A lot of questions need to be answered and the cap might be going down next year.
Hunter isn't going to ask for a raise considering he's injured all year. Cousins will probably take another pay-cut if it means signing Reiff to another deal, and Wilson has been the 2nd best player on defense this year behind Kendricks. I'd say give him a four year contract for an average amount and see where he stands on it.
Reiff is under contract next season and Cousins has never taken a pay cut, so I don't know why he would start now when he has 35 million guaranteed coming his way in 2022.

If you meant restructuring Cousins contract in 2022 to sign Reiff, that is a possibility, and the Vikings could do what they should have done this year, which is move his cap hit to the next season with a void year. That way they would have the option to extend him if they wanted, or just let him walk and eat 20 million or so in cap they were going to eat anyway.
1 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12346
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 484

Re: Barr's future with Vikings

Post by S197 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:37 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:30 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:41 am


Hunter isn't going to ask for a raise considering he's injured all year. Cousins will probably take another pay-cut if it means signing Reiff to another deal, and Wilson has been the 2nd best player on defense this year behind Kendricks. I'd say give him a four year contract for an average amount and see where he stands on it.
Reiff is under contract next season and Cousins has never taken a pay cut, so I don't know why he would start now when he has 35 million guaranteed coming his way in 2022.

If you meant restructuring Cousins contract in 2022 to sign Reiff, that is a possibility, and the Vikings could do what they should have done this year, which is move his cap hit to the next season with a void year. That way they would have the option to extend him if they wanted, or just let him walk and eat 20 million or so in cap they were going to eat anyway.
Yeah there's no way Cousins takes a pay cut, he's structured both his contracts to put himself first and there's no chance he backs out now. Also, he's going to get 45 million in 2022 (although I guess the 10 million signing bonus was technically paid, but would still be a 45M cap hit). Restructuring would probably be the worst option for this team as they would have to carry his signing bonus even further out into the future. There's really no good options in 2021 or 2022 but prolonging the amount of time Cousins drags down this team is worst case scenario for me.
0 x