Vikings-Bears Preview Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings-Bears Preview Thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

psjordan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:41 pm Let's hope this does not go well:

Nagy hands off play calling:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/303 ... bill-lazor
It's lipstick on a very stinky pig.

Bill Lazor will be taking over playcalling. As Cincinnati's OC in 2017 and 2018, he led them to the 17th and 26th ranked offenses, respectively. In 2015, he led Miami to the 27th ranked offense.

Not exactly the second coming of Andy Reid.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

This is not a spot I typically feel good about and it's the same this go around. Hoping they stick to the sound football they've been playing and avoid huge mistakes. A win here completely straightens the arrow towards a potential run. Getting over that hump easier said than done though.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:06 pm This is not a spot I typically feel good about and it's the same this go around. Hoping they stick to the sound football they've been playing and avoid huge mistakes. A win here completely straightens the arrow towards a potential run. Getting over that hump easier said than done though.
I think they will lose, but you're right.....if they somehow can get out of SF with a win, they have a clear path to 7-5. Amazing after the start they had.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Samia tests positive, won't make the trip:

https://apple.news/AQ4gxF07bSVuQ5ObS9TjFiw
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Irv Smith is out for the Vikings.

Crap!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:07 pm Irv Smith is out for the Vikings.

Crap!
Injury or covid?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:29 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:07 pm Irv Smith is out for the Vikings.

Crap!
Injury or covid?
Groin injury he sustained on his second touchdown dance. I kid you not.

Only the Vikings.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Guys, I have a serious question.

Dru Samia tested positive for Covid.

What are the chances that contact tracing will reveal that others in the O-line room will be considered close contacts, rendering THEM out of the game against Chicago?

I'm typically an optimist, but this has me really worried. Our O-line has been playing so well. If we lose any of them because of this, it could really hurt our chances.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Ohjay
Veteran

Post by Ohjay »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:11 pm Guys, I have a serious question.

What are the chances that contact tracing will reveal that others in the O-line room will be considered close contacts, rendering THEM out of the game against Chicago?

I'm typically an optimist, but this has me really worried. Our O-line has been playing so well. If we lose any of them because of this, it could really hurt our chances.
I was worried about this as well but we should've heard something by now if that was the case.
The only other person not travelling to Chicago due to Covid was a coach (OL assistant?) from what I've heard.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Ohjay wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:19 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:11 pm Guys, I have a serious question.

I was worried about this as well but we should've heard something by now if that was the case.
The only other person not travelling to Chicago due to Covid was a coach (OL assistant?) from what I've heard.
Not necessarily true. They'll all test today.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Ohjay
Veteran

Post by Ohjay »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:25 am
Ohjay wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:19 am

Not necessarily true. They'll all test today.
Well, testing positive and being deemed close contact are two different things and you only mentioned close contact in the previous post (which would've guaranteed that those players miss the game).

Anyone on the team can test positive on gameday but will most likely play anyway due to the delay of getting results back.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Well my biggest concern is how in the heck can ANYONE here on the board even feel we have a remote chance of winning without the impressive skills of Dru Samia!??!!!?? :lol: :D
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:02 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:29 pm

Injury or covid?
Groin injury he sustained on his second touchdown dance. I kid you not.

Only the Vikings.
What an idiot :wallbang:
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:00 pm Howdy ho, fellas. Let's talk a little about the Bears and what the Vikings can do to overcome the "vaunted" one-man defense of Khalil Mack.

1.) Offensive Line - The offensive line is going to need to continue to show the progression is has hinted at the last two weeks if the Vikings offense is going to stand a chance; unlike the Packers and Lions, there are some good rushers and some great tacklers on the Bears defense. The first step is to work on negating their presence on the run and preventing the pass rush from getting to Kirk too often.

2.) Dalvin Cook - We may have to rely on Dalvin Cook quite a bit this game, and why not... He currently leads the league in points-- all points, kicking, rushing, receiving -- and is the leading rusher in most categories. I get the feeling the Bears defense will snap under the strain of attempting to contain Dalvin Cook. As it stands, the Bears defense is 14th in Rushing Yards Per Game, 6th in Rushing TDs Per Game (The Minnesota Vikings Defense is tied at #1 with SF, NO, ARI, and PITT), and 11th in Rushing First Downs Per Game. While the Bears defense did well against Derrick Henry, I believe Dalvin Cook is going to bring a whole new ball game to the defense and beat them down and drink the blood of his enemies.

3.) Thielen & Jefferson - Cousins is going to need to find these two men open on the field if he can survive the pass-rush long enough. The Front 7 of the Bears defense is great, but once you get further back, it becomes a little easier. Yes, Chicago has the #7 Passing defense, but that may have more to do with the ability of their rush than their defensive backs. I don't believe that Kirk has to ball out against the Bears, but I do believe he needs to play a decent part in pressing the attack. Minimize mistakes, and throw to your best receivers, or screens to Cook.

4.) Defense - The Vikings Defense is going to need to step up big here. Nick Foles is likely the starting QB and it's time we give him a little payback for 2017. I personally believe that this Vikings Front 7 is good enough to stuff the run against David Montgomery and Tarik Cohen. The real question is the passing defense. They'll need to continue to grow and show their stuff on the field if the Vikings have a chance at putting away the Matt Nagy bug for good and giving Kirk Cousins a quality QB win on national television.

5.) Special Teams - The punting unit is going to need to get *much* better real soon. Giving up two blocked punts in nearly back to back drives is unacceptable. The fact it was the Lions, who couldn't do crud with the gifts they were given, does not excuse the poor display. This is the Bears. They are a much better team than the Lions, by far. We are going to need to play tighter across the board on special teams to give the offense and defense something to work with.

With that, I believe the Vikings are going to... WIN the game, by a score of 34-20, Dalvin Cook breaks loose, goes for over 100 yards for the third game in a row, gets two rushing touchdowns, and Kirk Cousins throws his way to a solid 170 yard game with Jefferson/Thielen/Irv Smith Jr. getting two passing touchdowns. Comes down to Nick Foles trying to save the day for the Bears but DJ Wonnum sacks him for the win. :smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike:

Cannot believe how actually pretty well my assessment went. I was completely wrong on the score, but our defense stuffed the offense, Dalvin Cook played a banger (even if the stats don't show), and the O-Line abused that vaunted defense with ease. I think we can beat everyone from now on. SKOL!