Everson is a Lion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Everson is a Lion

Post by RandyMoss84 »

That sucks, I do not want to face him twice a year!
Foreman44
Transition Player

Re: Everson is a Lion

Post by Foreman44 »

Is there a reason the. Cowpukes so willingly let him go. Or is it money and they suck. Detroit will probably beat us with or without.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Foreman44 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:01 am Is there a reason the. Cowpukes so willingly let him go. Or is it money and they suck. Detroit will probably beat us with or without.
Guessing it's a "the season is over, free up cap" situation.
The move comes as a surprise considering Griffen signed a one-year, $6 million contract with Dallas two months ago.

With the Cowboys struggling at 2-5, the team shipped out half of Griffen’s contract. Dallas will pay him $3 million in 2020.

While Griffen hasn’t been a big part of the problem, it doesn’t help that the Cowboys’ defense has been abysmal this season. The team has given up the most rushing yards in the NFL and have allowed a 16-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio against passers. The Cowboys’ defense has allowed over 30 points in five of seven games this season.
Link
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Cliff wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:15 am
Foreman44 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:01 am Is there a reason the. Cowpukes so willingly let him go. Or is it money and they suck. Detroit will probably beat us with or without.
Guessing it's a "the season is over, free up cap" situation.
The move comes as a surprise considering Griffen signed a one-year, $6 million contract with Dallas two months ago.

With the Cowboys struggling at 2-5, the team shipped out half of Griffen’s contract. Dallas will pay him $3 million in 2020.

While Griffen hasn’t been a big part of the problem, it doesn’t help that the Cowboys’ defense has been abysmal this season. The team has given up the most rushing yards in the NFL and have allowed a 16-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio against passers. The Cowboys’ defense has allowed over 30 points in five of seven games this season.
Link
Yeah I dont think Griff was "bad there" but he certainly wasnt helping them and working as a rotational defender for the most part.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Actually the Cowboys have a surplus of edge rushers, and Griff wasn't playing all that well. He's got a couple sacks, but his pass rush win rate is really low, especially for him.

Gonna be weird seeing AP and Griff in Lions unis.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Kearse, Griff, AP... gonna be an interesting game! :beerock:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:31 pm Kearse, Griff, AP... gonna be an interesting game! :beerock:
Boy, could we use Kearse right now.
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:17 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:31 pm Kearse, Griff, AP... gonna be an interesting game! :beerock:
Boy, could we use Kearney right now.
Kearse is not that good
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:04 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:17 pm
Boy, could we use Kearney right now.
Kearse is not that good
He was good for a backup. Could play multiple positions and was at least okay at all of them.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:11 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:04 am

Kearse is not that good
He was good for a backup. Could play multiple positions and was at least okay at all of them.
And he's significantly better than some of the guys we've been trotting out there. I mean, Anthony Harris was playing slot corner by the end of Sunday's game because we were out of cornerbacks. And Josh Metellus was playing Harris' spot. I have no idea how Green Bay didn't beat us.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:41 pm And he's significantly better than some of the guys we've been trotting out there. I mean, Anthony Harris was playing slot corner by the end of Sunday's game because we were out of cornerbacks. And Josh Metellus was playing Harris' spot. I have no idea how Green Bay didn't beat us.
I thought Rodgers would have a stroll in the park against a fully healthy Vikings secondary last week. That they were able to still come out on top using duct tape and cheap magic tricks says something...

What it says, I have no idea, but it says something. It has to, right?

:govikes:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:15 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:41 pm And he's significantly better than some of the guys we've been trotting out there. I mean, Anthony Harris was playing slot corner by the end of Sunday's game because we were out of cornerbacks. And Josh Metellus was playing Harris' spot. I have no idea how Green Bay didn't beat us.
I thought Rodgers would have a stroll in the park against a fully healthy Vikings secondary last week. That they were able to still come out on top using duct tape and cheap magic tricks says something...

What it says, I have no idea, but it says something. It has to, right?

:govikes:
Well, this doesn't answer the question of why Rodgers didn't shred us like mozzarella through a cheese grater, but I would offer this. Forgive my habitual eternal optimism.

The Vikings could easily be 5-2 right now instead of 2-5.

I know, I know ... you are what your record says you are. Heck, if not for Bill Parcells, I would take credit for inventing that line because of how often I use it. But think about it. We lost to Tennessee by 1 and Seattle by 1. We lost to a terrible Atlanta team coming off the heartbreaking Seattle loss, and without Dalvin Cook. That's three winnable games dropped. Reverse those, and the Vikings are 5-2 and tied for first in the NFC North, with a 1-1 division record.

We're not a 5-2 team. I get that. But the truth may be that we're better than our record. And trust me, I don't like saying that because after the Atlanta debacle, I spoke up loudly about the Vikings being a bottom-3 team. I don't like being wrong any more than the next guy.

And to PHP's point in another thread, where might we be if we hadn't lost Hunter and Barr for the season? Or if Pierce hadn't opted out? Would our defense be just enough better that maybe we could have taken those three winnable games? It's impossible to know.

Truthfully, with this defensive backfield, we still may have trouble winning more than 3 or 4 games. But if Cook stays healthy, we're not out of any game. So there's no telling what our final record will be. Probably just enough losses to miss the playoffs and drop us to the middle of the pack in the draft.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:59 am Truthfully, with this defensive backfield, we still may have trouble winning more than 3 or 4 games. But if Cook stays healthy, we're not out of any game. So there's no telling what our final record will be. Probably just enough losses to miss the playoffs and drop us to the middle of the pack in the draft.
Good stuff. I enjoyed reading your take and equally enjoy your optimism.

I'll add something else. The offensive line. If they can play like they played against Green Bay and Dalvin Cook stays healthy, this team is going to win a lot of games on the back of that alone.

That is a big "if", but still, apparently not out of the question. I was shocked to see them play so well against Green Bay. I didn't think they could manage that, and I'm still not sure that wasn't just a great single game for them and they'll revert back to their average, but I was impressed across the board.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:04 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:59 am Truthfully, with this defensive backfield, we still may have trouble winning more than 3 or 4 games. But if Cook stays healthy, we're not out of any game. So there's no telling what our final record will be. Probably just enough losses to miss the playoffs and drop us to the middle of the pack in the draft.
Good stuff. I enjoyed reading your take and equally enjoy your optimism.

I'll add something else. The offensive line. If they can play like they played against Green Bay and Dalvin Cook stays healthy, this team is going to win a lot of games on the back of that alone.

That is a big "if", but still, apparently not out of the question. I was shocked to see them play so well against Green Bay. I didn't think they could manage that, and I'm still not sure that wasn't just a great single game for them and they'll revert back to their average, but I was impressed across the board.
Thanks VL. Appreciate that.

The O-line is definitely looking better, especially on the run side of the ledger. But the play that impressed me the most was the screen to Cook that went for a touchdown. You had Bradbury laying a great block at the beginning of the RAC, then Dozier and Cleveland with roll blocks. You had Brian O'Neill running 30 yards downfield from the opposite side, trying to get in on the action. It seemed like every time a Green Bay defender showed up, there was another Viking to cut them down.

We were a great screen team last year. Until the Green Bay game, we had been terrible this year, but we were EXCELLENT this past Sunday. The other screen to Cook "only" went for 13 yards, but it was on 3rd and 9, so it was huge. If they can keep that going, it bodes well for the offense. Kirk Cousins can be very effective down the field IF the threat of the screen game and the running game are there. If he has to just drop back and throw downfield, he's not very good.

The O-line is definitely key to the Vikings' success. Let's hope they continue growing and gelling.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.