RIP Matt Blair

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

RIP Matt Blair

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Sad news! He was an awesome player!
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: RIP Matt Blair

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RIP Never had the pleasure to watch him compete but he sounds like he was an awesome player. Prayers for him and his family.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Very sad news. He was a terrific LB and one of the best FG-blockers I've ever seen.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Mothman wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:22 pm Very sad news. He was a terrific LB and one of the best FG-blockers I've ever seen.
He is a great punt blocker too, he is ranked #3 in blocks kicks in the NFL
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I saw that Blair has the same birthday as I do! :thumbsup:
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

Gone too soon. Very sad. RIP Matt, you provided me and many Viking fans some great memories.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

One of my all time favorite Vikings. The guy was so great at blocking punts. A Classic Viking
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Tough loss. Being an Iowan of a certain age, I remember Matt Blair at Iowa State, as well. Did you guys know he was a walk-on before eventually becoming an All-American?

Blair had 20 career blocked kicks with the Vikings, but that’s not all he did. He was a great LB, as well, racking up 231 tackles in 1981. One of the great all-time Vikings, a Ring of Honor inductee.

Cause of death was not announced, but he had been suffering from dementia. Very sad.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:03 am Tough loss. Being an Iowan of a certain age, I remember Matt Blair at Iowa State, as well. Did you guys know he was a walk-on before eventually becoming an All-American?

Blair had 20 career blocked kicks with the Vikings, but that’s not all he did. He was a great LB, as well, racking up 231 tackles in 1981. One of the great all-time Vikings, a Ring of Honor inductee.

Cause of death was not announced, but he had been suffering from dementia. Very sad.
He should have been a Hall of Famer
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:25 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:03 am Tough loss. Being an Iowan of a certain age, I remember Matt Blair at Iowa State, as well. Did you guys know he was a walk-on before eventually becoming an All-American?

He should have been a Hall of Famer
I totally agree. Blair was an incredible player, making 6 Pro Bowls. Very well-respected, both around the league and especially in the Vikings community.

It's a lot like the Jim Marshall exclusion ... very confusing. I suppose it's more fallout of the Vikings never winning a Super Bowl.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

This is the kinda guy that made it an honor to wear purple! He helped build Purple Pride. We are far from those days.
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

My Matt Blair moment: November 1983. My wife and I went to New Orleans for our first wedding anniversary. Coincidentally, the Vikes were playing the Saints and coincidentally, I had tickets for the game 😉.

Anyway, Saturday night my wife and I went to Pascal Manales for dinner and who did we stand behind in line waiting to get seated: the parents of Fred McNeil. We chatted and they were very nice. Also, Archie Manning was hosting some Viking teammates at the restaurant that night. Game day, we went to the Hyatt next to the Superdome for pregame brunch. My wife, not exactly a big fan, screamed when she saw Bud Grant come down the escalator.

Anyway, who do we see at the brunch: Fred McNeils parents. They call us over and at the same time Matt and Fred came over to say hi. I got to shake their hands. Great weekend despite the close loss. Note: the upper deck at the Superdome is very steep. I remember thinking if my wife tripped she might down 5 rows, being 5 months pregnant, too.