Vikings in full tank mode - trade Ngakoue

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings in full tank mode - trade Ngakoue

Post by RandyMoss84 »

That is a damn waste of a 2nd round pick, Jaguars won the trade :wallbang:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

The initial trade didn't make much sense to me, but this trade makes no sense at all. I can't recall a team doing what the Vikings did with Ngakoue. It seemed like a desperation move prior to the season and now to cut bait on the guy so quickly makes no sense. I agree they were unlikely to be able to afford to extend him, although where there is a will there is usually a way, but this shows a disturbing lack of a long term plan unless I'm missing something.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Now upset by the trade. This is the dumbshit that trader Rick always does. He would have traded down from the 2nd round for a bag of skittles.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I don't fault Rick for making this trade. Clearly we can't afford him next year, and clearly this year is a lost cause

What I do fault him for is the original trade in the first place. As I said when it happened, the ONLY way the original trade made sense is if we were contenders this year. Just another example of Rick COMPLETELY mis-gauging where this team was at, just as with the Bradford trade. He really thought we had a Super Bowl window, so made a panic trade with Pierce opt-out and Hunter injury.

Totally clueless. Even casual fans knew there was no "window" this year.....how can a GM be so disconnected from the reality of his team?
Last edited by VikingPaul73 on Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

allday1991 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:03 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:28 am

I doubt it. However, I think they are quickly entering full re-build mode. Expect Reiff and Harris to be traded before the deadline.

However who knows at this point. This one really ticks me off. Knowing the Vikings they will keep their dog crap OL together and not trade Reiff but lets go trade a stud like Ngakoue :roll:
No other GM is dumb enough in this league to trade for Reiff under his current contract. Arguably a bottom 20-25 starting tackle in the league getting paid like a top 10.
He current sits at 20th in cap hit per year among LTs, is essentially free this year for any team that trades for him, and will only cost 11 million next year (very average for a LT) if the team who trades for him wants to keep him, otherwise he can be cut with no dead cap.

If he were getting paid like a top 10 LT, I agree, no GM would trade for him, but that restructure he took makes him very tradeable. I am curious what starting LTs go for in the middle of the season? Tunsil was traded at the beginning of the season last year for a lot, but what about what is essentially a 1/2 year rental with a cheap option on a 2nd year LT?
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

More evidence that the Ricker lacks a clear vision for this franchise. This is actually worse than it sounds, as our 2nd is likely to be pick 34-35, and Baltimore's 3rd could be in the 90s.

It is an echo of other knee-jerk reactions that Rick has made in the past: Bradford, for example.

There's also a tweet (by Ian Rapoport) that questions Hunter's status:
#Vikings star Danielle Hunter is having surgery to clean up a herniated disc, knocking him out for 2020, per me &
@TomPelissero
. MIN has a decision this offseason: Make Hunter the highest-paid defender in football or trade him. Have we seen the last of him in a Vikings uniformEyes
We have him under contract until 2022, so the question arises, "Does Rapoport know something here? Is Hunter really hurt currently or is he essentially holding out/ unwilling to risk health because he's dissatisfied with his contract? (I'm watching the "Last Dance" currently, and it reminds me of Scotty Pippen feeling this same way).

Ugh, what a season; perfect match for 2020.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Minnesota Vikings
@Vikings
·
1m
The #Vikings have placed S George Iloka on IR.
Not that Iloka was doing anything, but I guess Metellus is it after Smith/Harris at S on the roster? Guess we can potentially have 2 rookie corners and a rookie safety back there.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Now that it's official that Hunter is out for the year, it's a lot more believable that they are in rebuild/tank mode. I mean, I honestly can't see them going full tank mode, but I can see them trying to trade Reiff and Harris as well. Harris might be interesting since we have zero backup safeties, IIRC.
Damian
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Something else to consider: Odenigbo is having a better year creating pressure and has been much better against the run than Ngakoue. Ngakoue has made bigger plays, but Odenigbo is the more consistent defensive end.

The Vikings might actually improve with this trade if they move Odenigbo over to RDE where he is a better fit, and start Wonnum, who has been very good against the run, at LDE.

Just for context about the kind of underwhelming and inconsistent year Ngakoue is having:

Through 6 games Griffen had 36 pressures and 12 total tackles last year.

Ngakoue has 16 pressures and 7 total tackles at that same position playing in the same scheme.

Odenigbo has 21 pressures and 12 total tackles.

Wonnum has 5 total tackles (2 less than Ngakoue in a 3rd of the playing time) and 4 pressures.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I doubt it. However, I think they are quickly entering full re-build mode. Expect Reiff and Harris to be traded before the deadline.

However who knows at this point. This one really ticks me off. Knowing the Vikings they will keep their dog crap OL together and not trade Reiff but lets go trade a stud like Ngakoue :roll:
No other GM is dumb enough in this league to trade for Reiff under his current contract. Arguably a bottom 20-25 starting tackle in the league getting paid like a top 10.
If you are a contender and are weak at LT, yeah I would say someone would definitely trade for him. Surprisingly, Reiff has played pretty well this year so his current tape is working in our favor.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

I hate to even defend Rick in this, but getting anything back for Ngakoue at this point isn't bad. Yes, the initial trade was stupid, but I was really hoping to see Hunter and Ngakoue play together at some point. But, clearly they didn't see Ngakoue in the future plans, so at least we were able to get SOMETHING for him. Net loss in the end of course... but mildly better than before, I guess. Sigh.
Damian
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:50 am Closer to 8 million.
Apparently it's a 6.8M cap hit. Not sure the actual $ paid out but that's a Wilf problem.

A lose, lose, lose all the way around. Awesome.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Dames wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:00 pm Now that it's official that Hunter is out for the year, it's a lot more believable that they are in rebuild/tank mode. I mean, I honestly can't see them going full tank mode, but I can see them trying to trade Reiff and Harris as well. Harris might be interesting since we have zero backup safeties, IIRC.
I could see us trading Harris to CLE for Sendejo and a 3rd.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Riley Reiff has allowed the third-fewest pressures and has the fourth-best pass-block efficiency grade among OTs, per PFF. He's allowed zero sacks and hasn't committed a penalty. I'm not sure how much better the man could play. If there was a Pro Bowl, he'd be in it, based on his play this year.

And if I were Reiff, I'd be pissed right now. He's the one who took the massive pay cut in order to sign Cook and Ngakoue.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Guys, we should be STOKED about this trade.

Rick can turn a 3rd and a 5th into at least five 7th-rounders!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.