Fire everyone and start all over please

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Fire everyone and start all over please

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I would take Eric Bieniemy as HC of the Vikings in a skinny minute.

Bieniemy has spent several years working under Andy Reid, who is probably the most innovative offensive mind in the game. Andy Reid got Alex Smith to 3 Pro Bowls, for crying out loud. Think Bieniemy didn't learn a thing or two?

Heck, he might even be able to make Kirk Cousins serviceable.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:02 pm I would take Eric Bieniemy as HC of the Vikings in a skinny minute.

Bieniemy has spent several years working under Andy Reid, who is probably the most innovative offensive mind in the game. Andy Reid got Alex Smith to 3 Pro Bowls, for crying out loud. Think Bieniemy didn't learn a thing or two?

He seems to be the guy everyone agrees will get a HCing job somewhere.

Didn't we already go down this road once before though? Hiring Reed's OC?
FredJohnson22
Practice Squad

Post by FredJohnson22 »

S197 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:59 pm
makila wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:28 pm

HC opportunity? Goal of most coordinators is to become a HC of their own team. Just someone I would pick the phone up and call if I am the Vikings and decide to make a HC change. He is someone I like in general in the coordinator ranks right now for a HC job. He has interviewed the past few years for HC jobs (Cle, Car, NYG, NYJ, TB are a few I know off top of head), so clearly he wants one. KC is supposedly supportive of him and that goal as well. The Vikings aren't a trash organization in the NFL, as much as we are upset with them currently. Normally HCs get plenty of time here and have a supportive ownership group willing to spend. Loyal fan base. He knows the organization, RB coach for AD at the start of his career. I think we gave him his first NFL opportunity. I don't recall him leaving on bad terms.
I think he was a coach here as well. RB coach during the Peterson era I want to say.
I'd think there are better jobs available. Atlanta for one: better QB and better roster flexibility.

If I were a GM or HC, I'd look hard at whoever has the 1st pick (even if it's the Jets). With Trevor as the first building block, you can start something pretty great.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

FredJohnson22 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:20 am

I think he was a coach here as well. RB coach during the Peterson era I want to say.
I'd think there are better jobs available. Atlanta for one: better QB and better roster flexibility.

If I were a GM or HC, I'd look hard at whoever has the 1st pick (even if it's the Jets). With Trevor as the first building block, you can start something pretty great.
Not disagreeing but heard an interesting stat the other day.....

There has been ONE first overall pick that has won a SB since 1999.....Eli Manning. The first overall picks are far from a guarantee to turn your franchise around. I mean look at this year. Granted I still think Burrow looks good and I think he will have a solid career, but nobody looks better than Herbert and he was the 3rd QB taken last draft.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:56 am

There has been ONE first overall pick that has won a SB since 1999.....Eli Manning. The first overall picks are far from a guarantee to turn your franchise around. I mean look at this year. Granted I still think Burrow looks good and I think he will have a solid career, but nobody looks better than Herbert and he was the 3rd QB taken last draft.
Did you mean Peyton Manning?
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:10 am

Peyton was 1998
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

FredJohnson22 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:20 am If I were a GM or HC, I'd look hard at whoever has the 1st pick (even if it's the Jets). With Trevor as the first building block, you can start something pretty great.
I don't think the Vikings are bad enough to get the first pick in the upcoming draft. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how one looks at it, they have too much talent to be a 1 win team.

I think they'll manage to win around 5 games, which likely puts them in the 5-10 pick range. Not high enough to get the "sure thing" QB, but high enough to get someone who has a chance to be a star in the league, even if that player doesn't play the QB position.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

psjordan wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:48 pm
VikingLord wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:07 pm

I agree. It is on the GM 100%.
I thought Spielman and Brzezinski were "Executive VP" peers? No?
I don't know what their titles are.

I also can only guess at their relationship within the organization, but if I had to guess my guess would be that Spielman as the GM determines who they try to get and who they try to retain, while Brez works out the contracts that enable those moves to be made. Brez pays market rates to get the deals done.

Could Brez tell Spielman no on an individual player? More than likely he could tell him the Vikings can't afford market rate for the player, or could tell him here's what market rates mean as far as future cap implications. I suppose Spielman might reconsider making a move if he doesn't like what he sees or hears.

It's still hard for me to blame the book keeper for the situation, though, because if Spielman says he wants a guy and needs a deal done, Brez is going to do his best to get the deal done IMHO. If it puts the Vikings in a future bind, my best guess is both guys know that and choose to deal with the implications later.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Ryan is overrated
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Sorry I worded that wrong, I see where the confusion is. What I meant is from the '99 draft class and beyond, only ONE first overall pick has won the SB. And that is Eli Manning. And yes Manning was '98 so he wouldnt apply to the stat I heard.

Point is, it shows that having that first overall pick and taking a QB is far from a guaranteed franchise changer. I mean look at Joe Burrow. I love Burrow and think he will be a stud but does anyone see him winning a SB or being even close to competing for one anytime soon? I sure dont. Some of these teams picking first are so bad that not even a young stud at QB can fix the problem.

If you look at QBs as of late that have been successful, it's because they were drafted by teams with good overall rosters. Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, etc. I dont doubt that Lawrence will be good in this league but no matter who the next QB is to come in on this team, they will be coming into a fairly solid roster.

This Vikings team is still way too talented to finish with a top 2 pick. The difference between the 1-5 Vikings and the 0-6 Jets is astronomical. This is why I continue to think Lawrence is nothing but a pipe dream but taking a QB somewhere in the 1st is definitely a possibility
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:54 am

Sorry I worded that wrong, I see where the confusion is. What I meant is from the '99 draft class and beyond, only ONE first overall pick has won the SB. And that is Eli Manning. And yes Manning was '98 so he wouldnt apply to the stat I heard.

Point is, it shows that having that first overall pick and taking a QB is far from a guaranteed franchise changer. I mean look at Joe Burrow. I love Burrow and think he will be a stud but does anyone see him winning a SB or being even close to competing for one anytime soon? I sure dont. Some of these teams picking first are so bad that not even a young stud at QB can fix the problem.

If you look at QBs as of late that have been successful, it's because they were drafted by teams with good overall rosters. Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, etc. I dont doubt that Lawrence will be good in this league but no matter who the next QB is to come in on this team, they will be coming into a fairly solid roster.

This Vikings team is still way too talented to finish with a top 2 pick. The difference between the 1-5 Vikings and the 0-6 Jets is astronomical. This is why I continue to think Lawrence is nothing but a pipe dream but taking a QB somewhere in the 1st is definitely a possibility
As long Zimmer is here, there is zero chance of drafting an quarterback, it will be another cornerback
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:55 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:02 pm I would take Eric Bieniemy as HC of the Vikings in a skinny minute.

I'm drawing a blank. Did we?

If you're thinking John DeFilippo, he was Doug Pederson's quarterbacks coach.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:54 am

I love your optimism. Normally I share it. But from where I sit, the difference between the 1-5 Vikings and the 0-6 Jets is the tip of the football hitting the ground as Will Fuller made the potential game-tying catch in Houston.

There's been a lot of talk that Lawrence should pull an Eli Manning if it's apparent he's going to be taken by the Jets — simply refuse to go there and try to force a deal, as Eli did with the Chargers back in 2004. Nobody could blame Lawrence if he did that.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:35 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:55 am

I'm guessing he is talking about kick-#### Childress.
Damian
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Dames wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:58 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:35 pm

I'm guessing he is talking about kick-#### Childress.
Ah yes ... how could I forget?

The man who took credit for Donovan McNabb. And invented the unstoppable KAO.

Silly me. Thanks!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.