Vikings vs. Titans: Good, Bad, and Ugly

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings vs. Titans: Good, Bad, and Ugly

Post by YikesVikes » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:49 pm

Tough loss for the fan base today. Many of us thought we had this game in the bag at halftime. As tough as this game was to swallow for a lot of us, it was a major improvement from last week.

Good: The team came out fighting. Last week we looked like a team that didn't care if we lose or win. This week, I saw a team that was playing with passion. The switch to more 3 WR formations was a breath of fresh air. The heavy 2 TE simply wasn't working. This offensive attacked seemed more balance and great things happened when we went 3 wide. JJ was a man on a mission. Kid should be starting. Dalvin was Dalvin and looked like he could do this every week. Safety play was pretty high, Smith shut down the jet sweeps and Harris had some big hits over the middle.

Bad: Our combination of Oline and QB is a bad combination. We have a QB that must stay clean to perform and an oline incapable of keeping him clean. I'm all in on the prospect of drafting Fields of Lawrence. Both of those guys are mobile guys that can over come the oline that we currently have. Losing a game with 150+ rusher and 170+ WR should not happen. It just shouldn't.

Ugly: The collapse this week was hard to watch. Coming out with a pick at half time started a spiral that didn't let up. The offense had moments after the half but seem to never regain its momentum.
1 x

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings vs. Titans: Good, Bad, and Ugly

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:06 pm

Good
Justin Jefferson. He not only had a great day, but he did it almost exclusively out wide. Everybody said he's just a slot receiver. Honest to goodness, I believe in time — maybe less time than I originally thought — this guy is going to make us forget Stefon Diggs.

Obviously Dalvin Cook.

Very few penalties.

Better playcalling, although almost anything would have topped last week.

Bad
Most everything else falls into the Ugly category. I'll elevate Time of Possession to bad, since we only lost 31.5 to 28.5.

Ugly
Second-half defense. Way too many big plays allowed.

Turnovers. Every negative number in the turnover battle reduces your chances of winning by 20%. We were -3 today.

The O-line in the second half. Other than a couple of nice runs by Cook and the long TD to JJ, they were horrible, especially in crunch time.

Cousins in the clutch. Hey Kirk. Catch the freaking snap. Wanna know why people think you choke? Because you do.

Zimmer. Dude, timeouts are GOLD in the second half. Terrible time management. Terrible challenge.
2 x
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:14 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:06 pm
Good
Justin Jefferson. He not only had a great day, but he did it almost exclusively out wide. Everybody said he's just a slot receiver. Honest to goodness, I believe in time — maybe less time than I originally thought — this guy is going to make us forget Stefon Diggs.

Obviously Dalvin Cook.

Very few penalties.

Better playcalling, although almost anything would have topped last week.

Bad
Most everything else falls into the Ugly category. I'll elevate Time of Possession to bad, since we only lost 31.5 to 28.5.

Ugly
Second-half defense. Way too many big plays allowed.

Turnovers. Every negative number in the turnover battle reduces your chances of winning by 20%. We were -3 today.

The O-line in the second half. Other than a couple of nice runs by Cook and the long TD to JJ, they were horrible, especially in crunch time.

Cousins in the clutch. Hey Kirk. Catch the freaking snap. Wanna know why people think you choke? Because you do.

Zimmer. Dude, timeouts are GOLD in the second half. Terrible time management. Terrible challenge.
We looked like two different teams in the first and 2nd half.
0 x

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:16 am

Good: The Rudolph catch, The Jefferson catch (in traffic), Cook.
Bad: Giving the D a little break because of injuries. I think they missed Barr today. Cook (fumble).
Ugly: Zimmer's decisions. the last 2 offensive series in the game. Cousins, special teams ,

What an embarrassing loss today.
1 x
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player

Post by StumpHunter » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:44 am

The Good: Dalvin Cook is a monster was the MVP of the game. JJ had his coming out party and just lit up that TN defense.

The Bad: The defense continued its good play in the red zone while simultaneously allowing too many drives into the red zone.

The Ugly: We lost to a superior team that was not playing well yesterday, despite the 2nd best rushing game by a Vikings RB and JJ catching for 175.
1 x

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:34 am

The Good:

JJ emerged. That was very exciting to watch. The image of him dancing across the end zone with rookie excitement was special. The kid is talented and ready for the big show. It all gave me flashbacks to the excitement that Randy Moss brought his rookie season.

Rudy's TD catch was crazy. That's one of the best catches I've seen in a long time. He usually seems overpaid to me, until he does something like this, which he does with some regularity.

The Bad:
Coming out of halftime and throwing a pick. The camera focused on Kirk just before the series and he looked like a young boy before the spelling bee: terrified. OL did him no favors on this play or the last series, but Cousins is just so tightly wound that I can't put my faith in him. I like his arm and precision, but his negatives far outweigh his positives in my book.

The Ugly:
The OL on the last series. Kirk when the game mattered. The secondary in the 2nd half especially. Zimmer's time management.

*. I must add that I actually fully enjoyed this game, in contrast to the previous two. I think I won't mind losing this year, as long as we play with some dignity and effort. I also just want to see that our young guys are progressing. This isn't going to be our year. However, I want to see signs that next year or the year after could be, once we've made some key changes (coach, GM and QB).
3 x

dagvikings
Waterboy

Post by dagvikings » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:46 am

We most definitely should of took care of business in this one , game management was terrible coming out of two straight losses Shouldnt happen! Get rid of cousins, he can’t do his job, and the defense! is lame !
0 x

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:05 pm

Good: Cook and JJ

Bad: Cousins, offensive line, pass defense

Ugly: How do you lose a game when you have Cook and JJ put up those numbers?! :wallbang:

Hill getting toasted all day then dropping a game clinching pick 6 at the end. Gladney hasn't looked like anything special either.

Bradbury getting bullied back into Cousins on the last drive with a 3 man rush. Expected him to have more of an anchor by now. Also, the poor snap when Kirk wasn't ready and then doing a 360 to watch the destruction all while playing at home with no noise.. WTF?!

Got outcoached in the second half big time. No timeouts for the two minute drive attempt? If this defense can't get it figured out I think Zim has to go. They have a lot of youth and inexperience but that secondary should be better. They have invested too much in that defense for them to be this bad even with injuries. I don't see any creativity on this team on either side of the ball. Soft defense predictable offense.
3 x
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.