Vikings vs. Packers: Good, Bad, and Ugly

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings vs. Packers: Good, Bad, and Ugly

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Good: Vikes first drive. Very precise, methodical and balanced.
Also scripted.

Bad: The fact the drive was scripted.

Ugly: second drive and 2nd quarter .
Not scripted.

Wish we could find a way to script the whole game offensively.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:22 am Good: Vikes first drive. Very precise, methodical and balanced.
Also scripted.

Not scripted.

Scripted first drives work because offensive coordinators see tendencies on tape of the opposing defenses and attack those tendencies. Once the first drive is over, the defense adjusts, and scripts no longer work.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:38 am
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:22 am Good: Vikes first drive. Very precise, methodical and balanced.
Also scripted.

Not scripted.

Scripted first drives work because offensive coordinators see tendencies on tape of the opposing defenses and attack those tendencies. Once the first drive is over, the defense adjusts, and scripts no longer work.
Yes exactly. That is why I wish we were able to script the whole game O game plan. That was sarcasm in play.
Hate to be a pessimist but I just don't have alot of faith right now. I hope I am proved wrong.
If it weren't for covid my wife and I would be in the stands in Indy this Sunday. We are only about 2 hrs from the stadium.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Here's an "ugly."

Kirk Cousins only threw one ... count 'em, one ... play-action pass on Sunday. One! Cousins had his best season last year throwing play-action on 31% of his dropbacks. Sunday vs. Green Bay ... 4%.

The Vikings also ran ZERO pass plays with any receivers in motion.

Seems like Gary Kubiak might want to get a little more creative.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:57 pm Here's an "ugly."

Kirk Cousins only threw one ... count 'em, one ... play-action pass on Sunday. One! Cousins had his best season last year throwing play-action on 31% of his dropbacks. Sunday vs. Green Bay ... 4%.

The Vikings ran two play actions Sunday one very near the start of the game. That safety where he was sacked was play action and pretty much guaranteed Cousins would not see the blitz coming and go down in the end zone.

I am wondering if that is why Kubiak went away from it?

Being dependent on one type of play to be successful is never a good thing in the NFL. Play action does have its drawbacks, and we saw one of those draw backs on that safety.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:39 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:57 pm Here's an "ugly."

The Vikings ran two play actions Sunday one very near the start of the game. That safety where he was sacked was play action and pretty much guaranteed Cousins would not see the blitz coming and go down in the end zone.

Being dependent on one type of play to be successful is never a good thing in the NFL. Play action does have its drawbacks, and we saw one of those draw backs on that safety.
Green Bay was very lucky on that safety. Jaire Alexander admitted after the game that he had bitten hard on play-action and was coming up in run support. When he saw it was a play fake, he said heck with it and just kept on going to the quarterback. Somebody on the Vikings was responsible to pick him up -- Zimmer wouldn't say who -- but it was a combination of two blown assignments, by both Alexander and an unnamed player on the Vikings.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:06 pm

Green Bay was very lucky on that safety. Jaire Alexander admitted after the game that he had bitten hard on play-action and was coming up in run support. When he saw it was a play fake, he said heck with it and just kept on going to the quarterback. Somebody on the Vikings was responsible to pick him up -- Zimmer wouldn't say who -- but it was a combination of two blown assignments, by both Alexander and an unnamed player on the Vikings.
Perfect example of a familiar coaching point about when you make a mistake, just make sure you do it at full speed. Something like that.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Lots of people talk about “scripted” drives now a days. Are they really as big of a deal as people attribute to them? If so, would it really be so hard to script multiple drives for multiple scenarios?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:06 pm

Conklin had a shot at blocking it but ran a route. Cook would be the guy most likely assigned to a blocker but after the play action wouldn't have been able to get back and block it.