Cook gets extension

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Cook gets extension

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Vikes and Cook agree to 6 year $63 mill extension , $28 mill guaranteed.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Punkoholic
Rookie

Re: Cook gets extension

Post by Punkoholic »

I'm seeing that it's a 5 year deal. Nonetheless I'm happy that Cook will be here for a couple of more years. Although is this a good deal for an injury prone player? Someone on twitter said since the the amount of fully guaranteed, could be front loaded so if he struggles or keeps getting injured, might be easier to get rid of down the road. Is that true?
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Stupid extension, why not wait until he plays 16 games first then extend him?
kidfozzy.
Starter

Post by kidfozzy. »

Cook is a top-3 RB whenever healthy, but giving $12-15.5M to a player with his talent is worth it seeing that about 5-10 NFL teams would pay the man even MORE than that amount. (There are stupid GMs out there)

The jury is out regarding his long-term health, but with the extension money amount, that’s a fair deal for a Dalvin Cook.

Now, extending Yannick Ngakoue, that should be the main priority over Dalvin Cook’s extension. Wonder how Spielman will play that out?
Last edited by kidfozzy. on Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I thought $10 million was the right amount. Any amount more I thought was too much. 15.5 million signing bonus and 28 Million guaranteed seems like too much. $12.6 million average annual value seems like way too much.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'm mixed on this. Cook is special and deserving of this extension but his injury history is just so problematic. I think they had to do it though. He's capable of being the engine that drives this team and is just entering his prime. I do think they should limit his touches to 25 a game though just so he doesn't get burned out. It's important to always have a Mattison quality back up.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Punkoholic wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:33 am I'm seeing that it's a 5 year deal. Nonetheless I'm happy that Cook will be here for a couple of more years. Although is this a good deal for an injury prone player? Someone on twitter said since the the amount of fully guaranteed, could be front loaded so if he struggles or keeps getting injured, might be easier to get rid of down the road. Is that true?
Sorry bout that I knew it was 5 yr but hit 6.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Punkoholic
Rookie

Post by Punkoholic »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:35 am Stupid extension, why not wait until he plays 16 games first then extend him?
Maybe......

1)if he plays well and stays healthy, his price goes up. On top of that he would be a free agent and could sign elsewhere or could use other teams offer to try to get more from Minny.

2)if Cook and Ngakoue both plays well and want to keep them both and both unsigned, who do you place the franchise tag on? Now with Cook out of the way, they can use the tag on Ngakoue.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Surprised at the timing of that Cook extension. Thought for sure the Vikings would ride it out. Considering Kamara's number, I guess I'm good with it.

Here's to hoping he stays relatively injury-free.

Here's Kamara's deal for those curious:

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
2h
Sources: The #Saints & star RB Alvin Kamara have reached an agreement on a huge 5-year contract extension worth $75M in new money. He gets $77.133M overall and a $15M signing bonus. Kamara cashes in. Agent Damarius Bilbo of Klutch Sports did the deal. 💰 💰 💰
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:40 pm Surprised at the timing of that Cook extension. Thought for sure the Vikings would ride it out. Considering Kamara's number, I guess I'm good with it.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
2h
Sources: The #Saints & star RB Alvin Kamara have reached an agreement on a huge 5-year contract extension worth $75M in new money. He gets $77.133M overall and a $15M signing bonus. Kamara cashes in. Agent Damarius Bilbo of Klutch Sports did the deal. 💰 💰 💰
I just don't see why teams would sign the players to these kind of deals in a COVID19 economy. Look at What Ngakoue did signing for 6 million less than his franchise tag. Reiff taking a $5 million pay cut.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:35 am Stupid extension, why not wait until he plays 16 games first then extend him?
Much like the Kamara's extension, the timing of this extension wasn't about keeping him around next year, it was about getting him to play this year without the contract distraction hanging over the team.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:40 pm Surprised at the timing of that Cook extension. Thought for sure the Vikings would ride it out. Considering Kamara's number, I guess I'm good with it.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
2h
The Saints were 70 million over the cap prior to this extension. :point:

Expect the Saints to trade a large number of good players next year to get under the cap as they do a complete rebuild after Brees' retirement.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:01 pm

The Saints were 70 million over the cap prior to this extension. :point:

Expect the Saints to trade a large number of good players next year to get under the cap as they do a complete rebuild after Brees' retirement.
Don't laugh too hard.

We're not exactly busting at the seams with cap space. And if the cap is $30 million to $40 million less next year, as some are predicting, we're going to have some difficult decisions to make.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Well, anybody who's been part of this board for more than 15 minutes knows where I stand. If I were GM, I wouldn't have done this. I believe fervently that it's too much money for a running back in this day and age.

Now I'm going to shut up about it. I promised that if the Vikings signed him to a lucrative deal, I'd refrain from complaining, and I aim to make good on that promise.

Dalvin is a Viking for what appears to be the vast majority of his career. He's a dynamic player, and I'm rooting hard for him. I'd love nothing more than for him to break a couple long TD runs tomorrow, similar to the great run he had against the Pukers last year. Almost every prognosticator out there if picking the Pukers tomorrow. I want Cook to rip them a new one.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

If Dalvin gets hurt tomorrow, Vikings should rip Dalvin’s contract up