Final 53 (as of now)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 191

Final 53 (as of now)

Post by Maelstrom88 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:13 pm

0 x
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1299
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 157

Re: Final 53 (as of now)

Post by YikesVikes » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:44 pm

Very surprising numbers.
11 DL
7 WRs
5 RBs
2 Safeties

All of these numbers are probably going to change except the RBs
1 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2031
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 300

Re: Final 53 (as of now)

Post by StumpHunter » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:45 pm

Not one 6th or 7th rounder from the past draft made the team.
0 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2031
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 300

Re: Final 53 (as of now)

Post by StumpHunter » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:46 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:44 pm
Very surprising numbers.
11 DL
7 WRs
5 RBs
2 Safeties

All of these numbers are probably going to change except the RBs
RB might change too, but 2 more WRs will be cut and 1 more DL almost certainly. Likely for 2 safeties and some more Oline depth.
0 x

User avatar
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3184
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm
x 94

Re: Final 53 (as of now)

Post by VikingPaul73 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:21 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:45 pm
Not one 6th or 7th rounder from the past draft made the team.
wow. good thing we collected all of those picks

I was surprised Jones, Collins, and Hollins got cut. Disappointed Marrion made the team again, but not surprised. Only 2 Safeties?
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12285
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 432

Re: Final 53 (as of now)

Post by S197 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:47 pm

All that wheeling and dealing and then they proceed to cut all SIX of their final picks...
0 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2031
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 300

Re: Final 53 (as of now)

Post by StumpHunter » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:14 pm

S197 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:47 pm
All that wheeling and dealing and then they proceed to cut all SIX of their final picks...
Nearly every other GM realized it would be harder than most years for a late round guy to make a roster. That is why it was so easy for Rick to acquire those late round picks in this past draft.
0 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 316

Re: Final 53 (as of now)

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:24 pm

I wanted Beebe cut, ugh! Having only 2 safeties is a bad idea
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12285
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 432

Re: Final 53 (as of now)

Post by S197 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:54 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:14 pm
S197 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:47 pm
All that wheeling and dealing and then they proceed to cut all SIX of their final picks...
Nearly every other GM realized it would be harder than most years for a late round guy to make a roster. That is why it was so easy for Rick to acquire those late round picks in this past draft.
It’s Ricks MO but this was a poor year to keep this strategy. Last year they walked away with guys like Bisi and Oli who could be decent contributors but they should have known the evaluation process this year would be much more difficult. The only bonus is the larger PS. If they can stash some guys to redshirt there maybe it will be worthwhile.

The haphazard roster composition really concerns me, it looks like they made some pretty key mistakes. It’s hard to believe after everyone that was brought in Dakota Dozier is the best they could come up with at guard, for example. Or the lack of safety depth, the DT weakness, etc.
0 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 316

Re: Final 53 (as of now)

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:33 am

Did they announce who is on the practice squad yet?
0 x

Punkoholic
Practice Squad
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:44 pm
x 8

Re: Final 53 (as of now)

Post by Punkoholic » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:26 pm

Apparently they signed LB Ryan Connely, who was recently waived by the Giants. Saw articles saying it was a surprise/mistake move by the Giants. I guess he got hurt last year but in 4 games, was productive. If he's fully recovered, could be a steal. Don't think Vikings officially announced it yet.
0 x

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1299
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 157

Re: Final 53 (as of now)

Post by YikesVikes » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:11 pm

Punkoholic wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:26 pm
Apparently they signed LB Ryan Connely, who was recently waived by the Giants. Saw articles saying it was a surprise/mistake move by the Giants. I guess he got hurt last year but in 4 games, was productive. If he's fully recovered, could be a steal. Don't think Vikings officially announced it yet.
I'm intrigued. Im originally from NYC and all my friends are Giants fans. They love the guy. Hope he comes in and balls out.
0 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 316

Re: Final 53 (as of now)

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:02 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:11 pm
Punkoholic wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:26 pm
Apparently they signed LB Ryan Connely, who was recently waived by the Giants. Saw articles saying it was a surprise/mistake move by the Giants. I guess he got hurt last year but in 4 games, was productive. If he's fully recovered, could be a steal. Don't think Vikings officially announced it yet.
I'm intrigued. Im originally from NYC and all my friends are Giants fans. They love the guy. Hope he comes in and balls out.
Do not hold your breath on it
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12285
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 432

Re: Final 53 (as of now)

Post by S197 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:53 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:11 pm
Punkoholic wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:26 pm
Apparently they signed LB Ryan Connely, who was recently waived by the Giants. Saw articles saying it was a surprise/mistake move by the Giants. I guess he got hurt last year but in 4 games, was productive. If he's fully recovered, could be a steal. Don't think Vikings officially announced it yet.
I'm intrigued. Im originally from NYC and all my friends are Giants fans. They love the guy. Hope he comes in and balls out.
My guess is he’s not 100% recovered from the ACL and the Giants gambled they could stash him on the PS. Seems to have a nose for the ball, could get interesting once Gedeon is good to come back.
0 x

User avatar
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3184
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm
x 94

Re: Final 53 (as of now)

Post by VikingPaul73 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:59 pm

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/9/6/ ... acker-2020

13 so far. Remember this year they can have 16 on PS including several that don’t need to meet past requirement for years of service. That’s why they can keep a guy like Brett Jones
0 x