Kirk's Stumble

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3756
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 97

Re: Kirk's Stumble

Post by 808vikingsfan » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:18 pm

S197 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:05 pm
808vikingsfan wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:33 pm


I think we're both on the same page for the most part however, the CDC initially was saying not to wear masks while the rest of the world (Asia mostly) was so I don't trust everything they say. Seems like they've been slow to react from the beginning. . When I work (fix machines in hospitals and clinics), I absolutely wear a mask for both controlling the spread and to protect myself. I keep it on from the time I leave my car until I return. When I fly, or when I'm in the hospital, I'm assuming everyone may have the virus, whatever I touch may have the virus, I myself may have the virus. Remember, the virus can live on surfaces from hours for up to 3 days. Think of all the things you touch daily. I keep my mask on so I don't infect myself and others. I don't want to argue.. Fact is, if you wear a mask, you are preventing the spread of the virus.
You may want to look into KN95 masks if you are very concerned as they’re becoming more available and relatively affordable. My wife works in healthcare and I’ve bought them throughout the pandemic for her and have seen a pretty good decline in price. They still run a little under $3 a piece but that’s better than the $10+ (when you could find them) back in April/May. Stay safe out there.
Thanks. My company does supply me with PPE so I do have and wear N95 masks.
0 x
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8148
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 796

Re: Kirk's Stumble

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:51 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:10 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:30 pm

Again, he didn't say wearing a mask was stupid. Kyle Brandt gave that as the "1" on the scale, not Cousins.

I get it that if you lose someone, you're more likely to be sensitive to it. But it still doesn't change how people of faith feel about the virus. You won't understand that, but it's the truth. Even if I lost my wife to Covid, it wouldn't change my outlook. Covid is a virus, and until that virus dies out or we have a vaccine, everybody is susceptible to it. Wearing a mask won't protect my wife, who works in a place where there are hundreds of people. They're all supposed to be wearing masks, but she's still exposed to a lot of people for whom there is no tracking. I would be devastated if I lost her, but it wouldn't change my outlook. My faith tells me that I'm not really in charge of my eternal destiny. I'm OK with giving up control. And I believe that is EXACTLY what Kirk Cousins was saying. To people of faith, it was anything but immature.

Here's something else. I know you're a medical professional. Here's the attitude I'm getting from SOME medical professionals ... they're bitter that they, themselves, have to be exposed to people who have caught this virus. They believe the person's callous attitude has put THEM in danger. I'm not saying that's your attitude, but if it is, I'm sad for you.
Kyle gave him a 1 to 10 and he said near 0. Whats your point? I am also a believer in Christ. I love God and my faith. None of that has anything to do with being considerate of the voice that I have. I don't believe you that if you lost someone close to you, that wouldnt have an profound impact on how you view the need to wear masks. Wearing a mask and Christianity are not mutually exclusive. If it is to you and Kirk...

1. Don't look both ways when you cross the street
2. Dont get vaccinated
3. Don't go to the doctor or dentist
4. Don't take prescribed medicines

Having faith isn't foolish at all. Living recklessly in the name of faith, is. I also believe that God has granted us free will. He is all knowing but he allows us to fall. If we had no control of our destiny, the story of Jonah would be of no use. Jonah was directly told where and what to do and chose not to.
If you believe God granted us all free will, then you must concede that not everyone will -- or should -- choose the same thing. You, however, refuse to acknowledge that. You seem to believe those who don't choose the same as you are stupid, reckless and foolish ... even those like Kirk Cousins who DO what they're supposed to do.

I'm out of this conversation. It's going nowhere. You won't change my view, and you won't shame me into thinking I'm stupid or reckless. I wear a mask where I'm supposed to wear a mask. I wash my hands. I take the precautions I'm asked to take, and I do it out of love and respect for people with more fear than I have. If that's not enough for you, if you believe that I must also THINK like you, then please put me on your foe list, as I have no wish to talk about anything with you.
4 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 399

Re: Kirk's Stumble

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:22 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:10 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:30 pm

Again, he didn't say wearing a mask was stupid. Kyle Brandt gave that as the "1" on the scale, not Cousins.

I get it that if you lose someone, you're more likely to be sensitive to it. But it still doesn't change how people of faith feel about the virus. You won't understand that, but it's the truth. Even if I lost my wife to Covid, it wouldn't change my outlook. Covid is a virus, and until that virus dies out or we have a vaccine, everybody is susceptible to it. Wearing a mask won't protect my wife, who works in a place where there are hundreds of people. They're all supposed to be wearing masks, but she's still exposed to a lot of people for whom there is no tracking. I would be devastated if I lost her, but it wouldn't change my outlook. My faith tells me that I'm not really in charge of my eternal destiny. I'm OK with giving up control. And I believe that is EXACTLY what Kirk Cousins was saying. To people of faith, it was anything but immature.

Here's something else. I know you're a medical professional. Here's the attitude I'm getting from SOME medical professionals ... they're bitter that they, themselves, have to be exposed to people who have caught this virus. They believe the person's callous attitude has put THEM in danger. I'm not saying that's your attitude, but if it is, I'm sad for you.
Kyle gave him a 1 to 10 and he said near 0. Whats your point? I am also a believer in Christ. I love God and my faith. None of that has anything to do with being considerate of the voice that I have. I don't believe you that if you lost someone close to you, that wouldnt have an profound impact on how you view the need to wear masks. Wearing a mask and Christianity are not mutually exclusive. If it is to you and Kirk...

1. Don't look both ways when you cross the street
2. Dont get vaccinated
3. Don't go to the doctor or dentist
4. Don't take prescribed medicines

Having faith isn't foolish at all. Living recklessly in the name of faith, is. I also believe that God has granted us free will. He is all knowing but he allows us to fall. If we had no control of our destiny, the story of Jonah would be of no use. Jonah was directly told where and what to do and chose not to.
Kirk gave his personal opinion. What is your purpose in judging him? He is personally not fearful of the virus. Neither am I. He is personally following all recommended measures for his own safety and the safety of others. What are you condemning him for? His opinion? Isn't he entitled to that? You have been so over the top with this and it seems you are filled with hate. Take a minute and judge yourself.
3 x

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 157

Re: Kirk's Stumble

Post by YikesVikes » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:15 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:51 pm
YikesVikes wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:10 pm


Kyle gave him a 1 to 10 and he said near 0. Whats your point? I am also a believer in Christ. I love God and my faith. None of that has anything to do with being considerate of the voice that I have. I don't believe you that if you lost someone close to you, that wouldnt have an profound impact on how you view the need to wear masks. Wearing a mask and Christianity are not mutually exclusive. If it is to you and Kirk...

1. Don't look both ways when you cross the street
2. Dont get vaccinated
3. Don't go to the doctor or dentist
4. Don't take prescribed medicines

Having faith isn't foolish at all. Living recklessly in the name of faith, is. I also believe that God has granted us free will. He is all knowing but he allows us to fall. If we had no control of our destiny, the story of Jonah would be of no use. Jonah was directly told where and what to do and chose not to.
If you believe God granted us all free will, then you must concede that not everyone will -- or should -- choose the same thing. You, however, refuse to acknowledge that. You seem to believe those who don't choose the same as you are stupid, reckless and foolish ... even those like Kirk Cousins who DO what they're supposed to do.

I'm out of this conversation. It's going nowhere. You won't change my view, and you won't shame me into thinking I'm stupid or reckless. I wear a mask where I'm supposed to wear a mask. I wash my hands. I take the precautions I'm asked to take, and I do it out of love and respect for people with more fear than I have. If that's not enough for you, if you believe that I must also THINK like you, then please put me on your foe list, as I have no wish to talk about anything with you.
I never said you had to think like me. However, when you are speaking from ignorance, sometimes people will correctly and show you that your are wrong. That goes for Kirk and all present company. Unwind your bunched up bragas and know better. I am glad that you do all that is expected of you but that has never really been the point. This discussion was about the IMPACT that somone like Kirk has on the public and why his response was irresponsible and selfish. Don't think so, fine. I've already explained in too many words why it wasn't just a harmless opinion and why it has real world ramifications. Feel free to block away and escape to the safety of nondissonance.
1 x

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 157

Re: Kirk's Stumble

Post by YikesVikes » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:16 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:22 pm
YikesVikes wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:10 pm


Kyle gave him a 1 to 10 and he said near 0. Whats your point? I am also a believer in Christ. I love God and my faith. None of that has anything to do with being considerate of the voice that I have. I don't believe you that if you lost someone close to you, that wouldnt have an profound impact on how you view the need to wear masks. Wearing a mask and Christianity are not mutually exclusive. If it is to you and Kirk...

1. Don't look both ways when you cross the street
2. Dont get vaccinated
3. Don't go to the doctor or dentist
4. Don't take prescribed medicines

Having faith isn't foolish at all. Living recklessly in the name of faith, is. I also believe that God has granted us free will. He is all knowing but he allows us to fall. If we had no control of our destiny, the story of Jonah would be of no use. Jonah was directly told where and what to do and chose not to.
Kirk gave his personal opinion. What is your purpose in judging him? He is personally not fearful of the virus. Neither am I. He is personally following all recommended measures for his own safety and the safety of others. What are you condemning him for? His opinion? Isn't he entitled to that? You have been so over the top with this and it seems you are filled with hate. Take a minute and judge yourself.
His personal opinion has sway over a great deal of people. Those lemmings ad their actions endager my family and the people I care about. So excuse me if I take it personally when a celebrity gives ammunition to mouthbreathers.
0 x

dkoby
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:47 pm
x 8

Re: Kirk's Stumble

Post by dkoby » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:02 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:16 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:22 pm

Kirk gave his personal opinion. What is your purpose in judging him? He is personally not fearful of the virus. Neither am I. He is personally following all recommended measures for his own safety and the safety of others. What are you condemning him for? His opinion? Isn't he entitled to that? You have been so over the top with this and it seems you are filled with hate. Take a minute and judge yourself.
His personal opinion has sway over a great deal of people. Those lemmings ad their actions endager my family and the people I care about. So excuse me if I take it personally when a celebrity gives ammunition to mouthbreathers.
Wow, mouth breathers? lemmings? If I don’t where a mask if Florida, am I still a danger to you? Get a grip. Maybe take another shift and give it a rest for a bit. Ever hear of personal responsibility? Everyone knows not to visit Grandma in the nursing home if they are sick. Same rules apply to any virus. Just because you work at a big health care facility doesn’t automatically make you right. Ever see an ER nurse outside smoking? Guess she didn’t get your holier than thou message about lung cancer.
1 x
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 157

Re: Kirk's Stumble

Post by YikesVikes » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:28 pm

dkoby wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:02 pm
YikesVikes wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:16 pm


His personal opinion has sway over a great deal of people. Those lemmings ad their actions endager my family and the people I care about. So excuse me if I take it personally when a celebrity gives ammunition to mouthbreathers.
Wow, mouth breathers? lemmings? If I don’t where a mask if Florida, am I still a danger to you? Get a grip. Maybe take another shift and give it a rest for a bit. Ever hear of personal responsibility? Everyone knows not to visit Grandma in the nursing home if they are sick. Same rules apply to any virus. Just because you work at a big health care facility doesn’t automatically make you right. Ever see an ER nurse outside smoking? Guess she didn’t get your holier than thou message about lung cancer.
Yes. That's how a pandemic works. You infect someone that in turn travel to my state and they then get my family member sick. Grandmas aren't only getting sick in nursing homes. Many have to travel outside of their homes for groceries and other supplies. One negligent job by a cleaner and they could be exposed. When lung cancer beomces contagious, then I will be as concerned for my family.
1 x

Dmizzle0
Franchise Player
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:03 pm
x 21

Re: Kirk's Stumble

Post by Dmizzle0 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:33 pm

dkoby wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:02 pm
YikesVikes wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:16 pm


His personal opinion has sway over a great deal of people. Those lemmings ad their actions endager my family and the people I care about. So excuse me if I take it personally when a celebrity gives ammunition to mouthbreathers.
Wow, mouth breathers? lemmings? If I don’t where a mask if Florida, am I still a danger to you? Get a grip. Maybe take another shift and give it a rest for a bit. Ever hear of personal responsibility? Everyone knows not to visit Grandma in the nursing home if they are sick. Same rules apply to any virus. Just because you work at a big health care facility doesn’t automatically make you right. Ever see an ER nurse outside smoking? Guess she didn’t get your holier than thou message about lung cancer.
Except that lung cancer isn't contagious. I believe that his argument is that a person with as much influence is Cousins is giving people a reason not to take this virus serious when they should be.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 399

Re: Kirk's Stumble

Post by VikingsVictorious » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:24 am

YikesVikes wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:16 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:22 pm

Kirk gave his personal opinion. What is your purpose in judging him? He is personally not fearful of the virus. Neither am I. He is personally following all recommended measures for his own safety and the safety of others. What are you condemning him for? His opinion? Isn't he entitled to that? You have been so over the top with this and it seems you are filled with hate. Take a minute and judge yourself.
His personal opinion has sway over a great deal of people. Those lemmings ad their actions endager my family and the people I care about. So excuse me if I take it personally when a celebrity gives ammunition to mouthbreathers.
So you judge and condemn him for not having the same personal opinion as you. This despite him following all the precautions that you want him to follow. WOW. I just say WOW!! :shock:
1 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 399

Re: Kirk's Stumble

Post by VikingsVictorious » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:34 am

Dmizzle0 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:33 pm
dkoby wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:02 pm


Wow, mouth breathers? lemmings? If I don’t where a mask if Florida, am I still a danger to you? Get a grip. Maybe take another shift and give it a rest for a bit. Ever hear of personal responsibility? Everyone knows not to visit Grandma in the nursing home if they are sick. Same rules apply to any virus. Just because you work at a big health care facility doesn’t automatically make you right. Ever see an ER nurse outside smoking? Guess she didn’t get your holier than thou message about lung cancer.
Except that lung cancer isn't contagious. I believe that his argument is that a person with as much influence is Cousins is giving people a reason not to take this virus serious when they should be.
Kirk is taking it seriously. He's following every recommended precaution. He's just not cowering in fear. I follow all recommended precautions and I'm not cowering in fear. There are people who think we should not be playing professional sports this year out of fear. With reasonable precautions professional athletes are far below the infection rate of the population at large. We don't need to cower in fear barricaded in our basements or bomb shelters.

Those who choose to cower in fear in their bomb shelters that is their choice. Those who choose to move forward with their lives like myself and Kirk that is their choice. Judging and throwing hate at me and Kirk really pisses me off.
3 x

dkoby
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:47 pm
x 8

Re: Kirk's Stumble

Post by dkoby » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:55 am

Dmizzle0 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:33 pm
dkoby wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:02 pm


Wow, mouth breathers? lemmings? If I don’t where a mask if Florida, am I still a danger to you? Get a grip. Maybe take another shift and give it a rest for a bit. Ever hear of personal responsibility? Everyone knows not to visit Grandma in the nursing home if they are sick. Same rules apply to any virus. Just because you work at a big health care facility doesn’t automatically make you right. Ever see an ER nurse outside smoking? Guess she didn’t get your holier than thou message about lung cancer.
Except that lung cancer isn't contagious. I believe that his argument is that a person with as much influence is Cousins is giving people a reason not to take this virus serious when they should be.
The point about the ER nurse was that despite the overwhelming evidence of lung cancer from smoking, they still smoke. They lose all their right to lecture about health choices. Do you follow every single recommendation of safety precautions for everything that you do? Wear safety glasses when doing somewhat risky things at home? Ear protection when operating a power tool?

You know the other much less talked about way to catch this thing is touching your face. And what does everyone have to do to wear a mask? Yup, touch and keep fussing with the uncomfortable mask on your face. It’s human nature.

I get the whole pandemic thing, but if I’m 50 feet from the next person in my back yard, I’m not wearing a mask. When I go to the Home Depot I wear a mask. When I get to the garden center, I slide it down when I’m physically distanced from anyone. Point being a mask is not the end all be all solution. It’s been way overblown and politicized to the point that people are loosing perspective. Heck, why do you think they are called 95 masks? Because they aren’t 100 percent.

With these attitudes there would be zero football this year.
3 x
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 157

Re: Kirk's Stumble

Post by YikesVikes » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:58 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:24 am
YikesVikes wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:16 pm


His personal opinion has sway over a great deal of people. Those lemmings ad their actions endager my family and the people I care about. So excuse me if I take it personally when a celebrity gives ammunition to mouthbreathers.
So you judge and condemn him for not having the same personal opinion as you. This despite him following all the precautions that you want him to follow. WOW. I just say WOW!! :shock:
I don't care about his opinion. I care that he was dumb enough to share it and influence others.
0 x

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 157

Re: Kirk's Stumble

Post by YikesVikes » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:03 am

dkoby wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:55 am
Dmizzle0 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:33 pm


Except that lung cancer isn't contagious. I believe that his argument is that a person with as much influence is Cousins is giving people a reason not to take this virus serious when they should be.
The point about the ER nurse was that despite the overwhelming evidence of lung cancer from smoking, they still smoke. They lose all their right to lecture about health choices. Do you follow every single recommendation of safety precautions for everything that you do? Wear safety glasses when doing somewhat risky things at home? Ear protection when operating a power tool?

You know the other much less talked about way to catch this thing is touching your face. And what does everyone have to do to wear a mask? Yup, touch and keep fussing with the uncomfortable mask on your face. It’s human nature.

I get the whole pandemic thing, but if I’m 50 feet from the next person in my back yard, I’m not wearing a mask. When I go to the Home Depot I wear a mask. When I get to the garden center, I slide it down when I’m physically distanced from anyone. Point being a mask is not the end all be all solution. It’s been way overblown and politicized to the point that people are loosing perspective. Heck, why do you think they are called 95 masks? Because they aren’t 100 percent.

With these attitudes there would be zero football this year.
None of the things you pointed out are contagious. Who gives a #### about football when about a 1000 or so people are still dying per day. Again, I'm not surprised that so many can only think about their wants.

Also touching your face doesn't give you the virus. Touching an orifice does (nose, eyes, mouth). Simply adjusting the mask without clean hands increases the chance of infection but it is more about people putting their hands in those places.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 399

Re: Kirk's Stumble

Post by VikingsVictorious » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:07 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:58 am
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:24 am

So you judge and condemn him for not having the same personal opinion as you. This despite him following all the precautions that you want him to follow. WOW. I just say WOW!! :shock:
I don't care about his opinion. I care that he was dumb enough to share it and influence others.
So he can have an opinion, but in your opinion he is either dumb for the opinion he has or for sharing his opinion or both. So which of those are you judging and condemning him for?

I'm dumb enough to share my opinion and unsure if it will influence others. The virus is potentially dangerous. Take precautions and you should be fine. Don't cower in your bomb shelter until the vaccine is found. Live your life.

I believe that is very similar to Kirk. I believe he is very safe from the virus due to continuous testing and quarantining process and his age and health.
1 x

User avatar
vikeinmontana
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2904
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 pm
x 45

Re: Kirk's Stumble

Post by vikeinmontana » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:31 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:07 pm
YikesVikes wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:58 am


I don't care about his opinion. I care that he was dumb enough to share it and influence others.
So he can have an opinion, but in your opinion he is either dumb for the opinion he has or for sharing his opinion or both. So which of those are you judging and condemning him for?

I'm dumb enough to share my opinion and unsure if it will influence others. The virus is potentially dangerous. Take precautions and you should be fine. Don't cower in your bomb shelter until the vaccine is found. Live your life.

I believe that is very similar to Kirk. I believe he is very safe from the virus due to continuous testing and quarantining process and his age and health.
Good post. This is exactly what is wrong with our society right now. We don't hold people accountable, and always look to pass the blame to someone else. Kirk could have said the most outlandish thing ever. It still doesn't make him responsible if people choose to take what he said as gospel. That is asinine. I have athletes and celebrities that I love but don't agree with everything they say or do. I'm a grownup and make my own choices and decisions.

Not only do I not think what he said is wrong, even if it was it is one persons opinion and just that persons. If it comes with consequences that's on him.
1 x
i'm ready for a beer.