Who will be cut!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Who will be cut!

Post by YikesVikes »

Given that rosters have to be down to 80, this seems like the worst year possible for Vikings to have drafted 15 guys. I was initially stoked about all those draft picks but after the draft I was concerned given the pandemic. Zimmer went on record to say that some 2nd year guys will be let go. Should we have traded up a bunch with our picks?
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Who will be cut!

Post by RandyMoss84 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:55 pm Given that rosters have to be down to 80, this seems like the worst year possible for Vikings to have drafted 15 guys. I was initially stoked about all those draft picks but after the draft I was concerned given the pandemic. Zimmer went on record to say that some 2nd year guys will be let go. Should we have traded up a bunch with our picks?
I hope Chad Beebe will be cut, I will never understand the love for him, he ran horrible routes and he sucks and no since the players that Vikings wanted fell to them without trading up, Vikings were very fortunate
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:55 pm Given that rosters have to be down to 80, this seems like the worst year possible for Vikings to have drafted 15 guys. I was initially stoked about all those draft picks but after the draft I was concerned given the pandemic. Zimmer went on record to say that some 2nd year guys will be let go. Should we have traded up a bunch with our picks?
The 80 thing is irrelevant to the draft picks. It might mean a UDFA or two will be let go. That's all. Great year to have 15 draft picks as teams will be cutting more expensive Vets like crazy with a reduction in the cap.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

This was my concern after the draft. You lose so much this year, rookie mini camp and OTAs were a guarantee to be scrapped. Who knows how training camp goes, people already testing positive. So your evaluation time is greatly diminished. I don't know how smart it is to have a huge draft class under those circumstances.

On the other hand, the point about the cap going down makes sense. And maybe because you have less evaluation time you try more of a shotgun approach and just take the guys who flash in their limited amount of time.

It's definitely an interesting strategy that no other team really followed. To me, having 4-5 blue chips may be better in a year like this than 15 limited eval guys but it will certainly be interesting to watch.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:27 pm
The 80 thing is irrelevant to the draft picks. It might mean a UDFA or two will be let go. That's all. Great year to have 15 draft picks as teams will be cutting more expensive Vets like crazy with a reduction in the cap.
You think so?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:59 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:27 pm
You think so?
Yep.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Wow Vikings waive Brett Jones and Aviante Collins

Hollins too

Didn’t see that coming ...
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:45 pm Wow Vikings waive Brett Jones and Aviante Collins

Hollins too

Didn’t see that coming ...
I assumed those 3 would be safe.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Jones and Hollins getting cut was a big surprise for me.

How does Ameer Abdullah keep hanging on :?:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Jones doesn’t surprise me, he never really got a chance for whatever reason. Collins is more surprising since he was battling for a starter position. More upside potential with Samia hopefully.

Hollins I figured they would try to sneak on the PS. Chisnea is the surprise of the roster although he may not survive long as they have zero safety depth.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:51 pm Jones doesn’t surprise me, he never really got a chance for whatever reason. Collins is more surprising since he was battling for a starter position. More upside potential with Samia hopefully.

Hollins I figured they would try to sneak on the PS. Chisnea is the surprise of the roster although he may not survive long as they have zero safety depth.
II can't understand Chisnea over Hollins. I know they love his ST ability but... they seemed to be really high on Hollins.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:18 pm
S197 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:51 pm Jones doesn’t surprise me, he never really got a chance for whatever reason. Collins is more surprising since he was battling for a starter position. More upside potential with Samia hopefully.

II can't understand Chisnea over Hollins. I know they love his ST ability but... they seemed to be really high on Hollins.
The Vikings staff determined that the contribution that Chisena could make on special teams is greater than the contribution that Hollins would make as 5th or 6th WR.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:34 am
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:18 pm

The Vikings staff determined that the contribution that Chisena could make on special teams is greater than the contribution that Hollins would make as 5th or 6th WR.
I get that. I was just surprised. THat hollins lost out to Beebe and then ended up on the PS. His interview revealed he was just as surprised.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:28 pm
I get that. I was just surprised. THat hollins lost out to Beebe and then ended up on the PS. His interview revealed he was just as surprised.
6' 1", 165. He needs to add 20 lbs of muscle to be ready for the NFL.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:28 pm
Not sure why this double posted, so I'll edit it and I'll add that it was a real bummer for fans to not see preseason this year just to get a look at our 15 (or whatever) draft picks as well as all of our 2nd year guys. I really enjoy seeing guys emerge out of nowhere and seeing if draft crushes show something.