Vikings Extend Mike Zimmer

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Vikings Extend Mike Zimmer

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Sources: Vikings' Zimmer agrees to new deal

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/295 ... -extension
MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer has agreed to terms for a multiyear contract extension, sources told ESPN.

Zimmer's contract was set to expire after the 2020 season. News of the new deal was first reported by the Star Tribune.

The extension is set to keep Zimmer in Minnesota one year beyond when quarterback Kirk Cousins' deal runs out after the 2022 season. The Vikings and Cousins agreed to a two-year, $66 million extension in March.

Zimmer's contract talks were in the final stages this week, ahead of when Vikings rookies were set to report to TCO Performance Center in Eagan, Minnesota, for their first round of COVID-19 tests prior to the start of training camp. Zimmer, 64, is entering his seventh season with the Vikings after being hired as the franchise's ninth head coach in 2014.

Zimmer is the third-winningest head coach in team history, with a record of 57-38-1 (.599), and has taken the Vikings to the postseason in three of the past six years (2015, 2017 and 2019). Minnesota enters the 2020 season coming off an overtime win the NFC wild-card round at New Orleans and loss to the San Francisco 49ers in the divisional playoffs.

Prior to the start of the playoffs, Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf issued a 32-word statement -- 48 hours before kickoff in New Orleans -- backing Zimmer and general manager Rick Spielman amid rumors about both men's job security.

"We value Mike and Rick's leadership and we have every intent of Mike continuing as the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings and Rick leading our football operations, next year and beyond," the statement read.

Throughout his tenure in Minnesota, Zimmer's defenses have ranked no lower than ninth in scoring over the past five years, achieving top-5 finishes in 2015 and 2019, along with a first-place mark in 2017.
Looks like Zimmer is here until 2023.

Good move in my opinion.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings Extend Mike Zimmer

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:07 am Sources: Vikings' Zimmer agrees to new deal

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer has agreed to terms for a multiyear contract extension, sources told ESPN.

Zimmer's contract was set to expire after the 2020 season. News of the new deal was first reported by the Star Tribune.

The extension is set to keep Zimmer in Minnesota one year beyond when quarterback Kirk Cousins' deal runs out after the 2022 season. The Vikings and Cousins agreed to a two-year, $66 million extension in March.

Zimmer's contract talks were in the final stages this week, ahead of when Vikings rookies were set to report to TCO Performance Center in Eagan, Minnesota, for their first round of COVID-19 tests prior to the start of training camp. Zimmer, 64, is entering his seventh season with the Vikings after being hired as the franchise's ninth head coach in 2014.

Zimmer is the third-winningest head coach in team history, with a record of 57-38-1 (.599), and has taken the Vikings to the postseason in three of the past six years (2015, 2017 and 2019). Minnesota enters the 2020 season coming off an overtime win the NFC wild-card round at New Orleans and loss to the San Francisco 49ers in the divisional playoffs.

Prior to the start of the playoffs, Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf issued a 32-word statement -- 48 hours before kickoff in New Orleans -- backing Zimmer and general manager Rick Spielman amid rumors about both men's job security.

"We value Mike and Rick's leadership and we have every intent of Mike continuing as the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings and Rick leading our football operations, next year and beyond," the statement read.

Throughout his tenure in Minnesota, Zimmer's defenses have ranked no lower than ninth in scoring over the past five years, achieving top-5 finishes in 2015 and 2019, along with a first-place mark in 2017.

Good move in my opinion.
How is that a good move? Zimmer misses the playoffs every other year so if Zimmer misses the playoffs again this year, will you still think it is a good move?
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:28 am
Rhodes Closed wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:07 am Sources: Vikings' Zimmer agrees to new deal

Good move in my opinion.
How is that a good move? Zimmer misses the playoffs every other year so if Zimmer misses the playoffs again this year, will you still think it is a good move?
If that's the crux of your complaint, while also ignoring the the fact that Zimmer has led us to the NFC championship once, would have had a wild card victory in his first playoff appearance if not for a missed field goal, and upset arguably the best team in the NFC last year, then I dunno what to tell you. In three playoff years, Zimmer has a record of 2-4, could have been 3-4 or 4-4 if not for a missed field goal.

This is a silly argument.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:47 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:28 am

If that's the crux of your complaint, while also ignoring the the fact that Zimmer has led us to the NFC championship once, would have had a wild card victory in his first playoff appearance if not for a missed field goal, and upset arguably the best team in the NFC last year, then I dunno what to tell you. In three playoff years, Zimmer has a record of 2-4, could have been 3-4 or 4-4 if not for a missed field goal.

Zimmer getting Vikings to NFC Championship game is meaningless since Vikings got embarrassed in that game
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Well, like a lot of decisions this offseason, I disagree with this one as well. But what's done is done. Hopefully I'm wrong and Zimmer is able to get this team over the hump in the next few years.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:54 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:47 pm

Zimmer getting Vikings to NFC Championship game is meaningless since Vikings got embarrassed in that game
Does that make both 2009 and 1998 meaningless as well?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:40 pm

For me what bothers me most is how we've finished the last 3 years. The Eagles, the Bears, and the 49ers in those respective years. Each one was a huge game with obviously big implications and the Vikings were flat out embarrassed in every game. Obviously the Eagles and 49ers went to the Super Bowl in those years so they were great teams but you have to at least be competitive in games like those. Zimmer was badly outcoached in all of them. Then there's the Bears game, a game where we had everything to play for and they were playing for nothing. The Bears didn't even play most of their starters and we lost big at home with a playoff shot on the line.

Zimmer I think is a pretty decent coach, his winning percentage reflects that. I just fear he has this ceiling and he's reached it. He's not getting better in the playoffs, the defense isn't getting better (it's actually regressing), and we have this haphazard strategy on offense that I talk about in the Cook thread that only works when all the stars align. I don't really care about winning wildcard games. There's one goal for me and that's a championship. I just don't see Zimmer (and Rick) being good enough to get us there.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

If head coaches are measured in win percentage Zimmer is the 11th best coach in the league - 10th if you discount Matt LaFleur only having one season.

I personally don't think Zimmer can get a team to the super bowl as it's head coach. Honestly, given his defenses performances in playoff games I'm not sure he can get there as a defensive coordinator. I don't think the better offenses in the league - especially those with more level-headed quarterbacks - are thrown off balance all that much by the adjustments and pre-snap looks they give. Just my two cents, I hope I'm wrong.

Anyway, I can't blame them for resigning an arguably top 10 head coach. They certainly aren't around every corner and there's a good chance they would take a step back with someone else. As an owner are you really willing to play the "next big head coach" scratch off game? You might get the next great head coach or your team might suck for 3 seasons and you're hiring another new headcoach.

Why rock the boat if you're making good returns and the fans generally like your coach? He's had some exciting seasons too.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Nope because both games were overtime losses and let me remind you that Zimmer only got to the NFC Championship game because of a miracle and the 1998 and 2009 teams were well prepared unlike the 2017 team in the NFC Championship game
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

S197 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:06 pm

For me what bothers me most is how we've finished the last 3 years. The Eagles, the Bears, and the 49ers in those respective years. Each one was a huge game with obviously big implications and the Vikings were flat out embarrassed in every game. Obviously the Eagles and 49ers went to the Super Bowl in those years so they were great teams but you have to at least be competitive in games like those. Zimmer was badly outcoached in all of them. Then there's the Bears game, a game where we had everything to play for and they were playing for nothing. The Bears didn't even play most of their starters and we lost big at home with a playoff shot on the line.

Zimmer I think is a pretty decent coach, his winning percentage reflects that. I just fear he has this ceiling and he's reached it. He's not getting better in the playoffs, the defense isn't getting better (it's actually regressing), and we have this haphazard strategy on offense that I talk about in the Cook thread that only works when all the stars align. I don't really care about winning wildcard games. There's one goal for me and that's a championship. I just don't see Zimmer (and Rick) being good enough to get us there.
I totally agree and that is why extending Zimmer is a dumb move
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

Idk. Initially I really liked Zimmer. I do feel, though, after years down the road, he isn’t the answer. I hate to say that, but it what my gut tells me. Out coached in big games. I hope I’m wrong. I’m 62 and do want a Super Bowl win before I enter Valhalla.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Cliff wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:23 pm If head coaches are measured in win percentage Zimmer is the 11th best coach in the league - 10th if you discount Matt LaFleur only having one season.

I personally don't think Zimmer can get a team to the super bowl as it's head coach. Honestly, given his defenses performances in playoff games I'm not sure he can get there as a defensive coordinator. I don't think the better offenses in the league - especially those with more level-headed quarterbacks - are thrown off balance all that much by the adjustments and pre-snap looks they give. Just my two cents, I hope I'm wrong.

Anyway, I can't blame them for resigning an arguably top 10 head coach. They certainly aren't around every corner and there's a good chance they would take a step back with someone else. As an owner are you really willing to play the "next big head coach" scratch off game? You might get the next great head coach or your team might suck for 3 seasons and you're hiring another new headcoach.

Why rock the boat if you're making good returns and the fans generally like your coach? He's had some exciting seasons too.
Bill Bellicheck's average points per game given up in the playoffs since 2014: 21
Zimmer's: 22
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:00 pm
Cliff wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:23 pm If head coaches are measured in win percentage Zimmer is the 11th best coach in the league - 10th if you discount Matt LaFleur only having one season.

Bill Bellicheck's average points per game given up in the playoffs since 2014: 21
Zimmer's: 22
That's because Bill Bellicheck doesn't build teams the same every year. Some teams are more offensive dominant. That's not how Zimmer rolls. For example, in 2017 against the Eagles they lost in a shootout and gave up 41 points. Probably skewed the average a bit.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Zimmer's coaching record: 57–38–1
All this while
1. Taking over a really bad 2013 team
2. Losng AP to suspension
3. Losing TB to freak injury
4. Losing Bradford to freak injury
5. Almost losing and eye to freak injury
6. Changing OC almost every year.

While I feel that the Vikings have underperformed a lot during this time. I don't mind a coach with a 60% win rate who had to overcome some tough circumstances.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

IMO Zimmer was by far the best HC available and it was very wise to get him locked in. There's no such thing as a coach who's not good enough to win a Super Bowl. Give any NFL caliber HC a good enough team and he will win it all. When these rookies of the next two years gel with our current roster we are going to be dominant and moving on from Zimmer for a new coach could set us back years. Congrats to the Vikings and Zimmer and Vikings fans. Titles are coming soon. :D :rock: :govikes: :banana: :appl: