Ruh-Roh, Cook Plans to Hold Out?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Rhodes Closed
Transition Player
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am
Location: Sleepy Eye, Minnesota
x 72

Re: Ruh-Roh, Cook Plans to Hold Out?

Post by Rhodes Closed » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:21 pm

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:19 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:02 pm
Cook could still hold out later, but it's a good beginning. He also would have had to be an idiot to not report today and lose his chance at free agency next year and accrue $50,000 a day in fines.
Not really, he is a millionaire so he can afford $50,000 a day in fines
He'd be losing money if he sat out the entire season. He'd be paying more in fines than he would make with his base salary.
1 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 373

Re: Ruh-Roh, Cook Plans to Hold Out?

Post by VikingsVictorious » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:34 pm

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:19 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:02 pm
Cook could still hold out later, but it's a good beginning. He also would have had to be an idiot to not report today and lose his chance at free agency next year and accrue $50,000 a day in fines.
Not really, he is a millionaire so he can afford $50,000 a day in fines
He might not even be a millionaire. If he's spending his money very much. He's scheduled to make $1.5 million this year. A 30 day holdout would be the entirety of his salary. The bigger thing is if he didn't report today he would have lost his free agency option for next year.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 373

Re: Ruh-Roh, Cook Plans to Hold Out?

Post by VikingsVictorious » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:47 pm

It is official

Dalvin Cook reports to Training Camp on time
8 NEW, 8
And that’s the end of that

By Christopher Gates Jul 28, 2020, 11:25am PDT
Share this story
Share this on Facebook (opens in new window)
Share this on Twitter (opens in new window)
SHARE
All sharing options
NFL: NFC Wild Card-Minnesota Vikings at New Orleans Saints
Chuck Cook -USA TODAY Sports
Ladies and gentlemen, our short, regional nightmare is over.

When the Minnesota Vikings’ veterans reported to camp on Tuesday, running back Dalvin Cook was with them, ending the speculation that he would hold out. He had said earlier this offseason that Cook would not participate in any team activities until he received a “reasonable” contract extension offer.

This also brings an end to the game of “telephone” that happened over this past weekend, where Cook’s agent and Mike Zimmer went back and forth about whether or not the head coach had spoken with Cook about his intention of reporting to camp.

Cook is in the final year of his four-year rookie contract, and with the new rules that the NFL has put forth concerning COVID-19 Cook now only has to play in one game to pick up an accrued season to allow him to hit unrestricted free agency before the 2021 season if the Vikings do not sign him to an extension before then.

Hopefully the Vikings and Cook can work something out, whether it’s during the preseason or the actual season itself. For now, however, the star running back is officially in the fold and will not be holding out.

So we have that going for us. Which is nice.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 373

Re: Ruh-Roh, Cook Plans to Hold Out?

Post by VikingsVictorious » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:01 pm

Problem is this report reiterates that all Dalvin has to do is play one game to accrue a season and next year he can be a free agent. By reporting today and playing the first game leverage will shift from the Vikings to Cook.
0 x

User avatar
vikeinmontana
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2887
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 pm
x 30

Re: Ruh-Roh, Cook Plans to Hold Out?

Post by vikeinmontana » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Rhodes Closed wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:21 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:19 pm


Not really, he is a millionaire so he can afford $50,000 a day in fines
He'd be losing money if he sat out the entire season. He'd be paying more in fines than he would make with his base salary.
That's always a huge misconception anyway. Like guys with a lot of money don't care about losing money. It's all relative. No matter how much money you have, and in his case it's not a ton, you don't want to lose 50 grand a day.

Hell, I'm "loaded" in the eyes of the homeless guy down the road. Doesn't mean I'd be fine ripping up a $20 bill every day just because I have thousands in my bank account.
2 x
i'm ready for a beer.

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 8943
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky
x 193

Re: Ruh-Roh, Cook Plans to Hold Out?

Post by Cliff » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:57 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:47 pm
It is official

Dalvin Cook reports to Training Camp on time
8 NEW, 8
And that’s the end of that

By Christopher Gates Jul 28, 2020, 11:25am PDT
Share this story
Share this on Facebook (opens in new window)
Share this on Twitter (opens in new window)
SHARE
All sharing options
NFL: NFC Wild Card-Minnesota Vikings at New Orleans Saints
Chuck Cook -USA TODAY Sports
Ladies and gentlemen, our short, regional nightmare is over.

When the Minnesota Vikings’ veterans reported to camp on Tuesday, running back Dalvin Cook was with them, ending the speculation that he would hold out. He had said earlier this offseason that Cook would not participate in any team activities until he received a “reasonable” contract extension offer.

This also brings an end to the game of “telephone” that happened over this past weekend, where Cook’s agent and Mike Zimmer went back and forth about whether or not the head coach had spoken with Cook about his intention of reporting to camp.

Cook is in the final year of his four-year rookie contract, and with the new rules that the NFL has put forth concerning COVID-19 Cook now only has to play in one game to pick up an accrued season to allow him to hit unrestricted free agency before the 2021 season if the Vikings do not sign him to an extension before then.

Hopefully the Vikings and Cook can work something out, whether it’s during the preseason or the actual season itself. For now, however, the star running back is officially in the fold and will not be holding out.

So we have that going for us. Which is nice.
Does anybody actually have Cook on record as saying he was going to hold out? I'm pretty sure this entire thing was started by a post on Twitter with no actual source.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 373

Re: Ruh-Roh, Cook Plans to Hold Out?

Post by VikingsVictorious » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:37 pm

vikeinmontana wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:51 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:21 pm


He'd be losing money if he sat out the entire season. He'd be paying more in fines than he would make with his base salary.
That's always a huge misconception anyway. Like guys with a lot of money don't care about losing money. It's all relative. No matter how much money you have, and in his case it's not a ton, you don't want to lose 50 grand a day.

Hell, I'm "loaded" in the eyes of the homeless guy down the road. Doesn't mean I'd be fine ripping up a $20 bill every day just because I have thousands in my bank account.
You're preaching to the choir. :govikes:
0 x