Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8068
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 726

Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:44 pm

I’m reading stuff that the Minneapolis City Council is committed to disbanding the police department via a veto-proof vote. They say they’re going to invest in a “community-led Public safety system,”

Wondering how that might play into your decision to attend Vikings games if this happens.
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 249

Re: Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by StumpHunter » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:59 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:44 pm
I’m reading stuff that the Minneapolis City Council is committed to disbanding the police department via a veto-proof vote. They say they’re going to invest in a “community-led Public safety system,”

Wondering how that might play into your decision to attend Vikings games if this happens.
I believe the Vikings already pay the city of Minneapolis for an extra police presence on Sunday.

Maybe they just pay that money to another city to hire their police force to handle the games?

I don't think they actually disband the police department, but if they did, I assume the companies downtown would increase their security and create a private police force of sorts to protect their employees and customers. Same would go for the Vikings to protect their fans.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1476
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 368

Re: Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by VikingsVictorious » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:35 am

StumpHunter wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:59 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:44 pm
I’m reading stuff that the Minneapolis City Council is committed to disbanding the police department via a veto-proof vote. They say they’re going to invest in a “community-led Public safety system,”

Wondering how that might play into your decision to attend Vikings games if this happens.
I believe the Vikings already pay the city of Minneapolis for an extra police presence on Sunday.

Maybe they just pay that money to another city to hire their police force to handle the games?

I don't think they actually disband the police department, but if they did, I assume the companies downtown would increase their security and create a private police force of sorts to protect their employees and customers. Same would go for the Vikings to protect their fans.
If I understand correctly George Floyd was security at US Bank Stadium.
0 x

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 249

Re: Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by StumpHunter » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:03 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:35 am
StumpHunter wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:59 pm


I believe the Vikings already pay the city of Minneapolis for an extra police presence on Sunday.

Maybe they just pay that money to another city to hire their police force to handle the games?

I don't think they actually disband the police department, but if they did, I assume the companies downtown would increase their security and create a private police force of sorts to protect their employees and customers. Same would go for the Vikings to protect their fans.
If I understand correctly George Floyd was security at US Bank Stadium.
No idea. I know he did security at a local club with the officer who killed him, so it is possible.
0 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 811
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 290

Re: Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by RandyMoss84 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:04 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:35 am
StumpHunter wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:59 pm


I believe the Vikings already pay the city of Minneapolis for an extra police presence on Sunday.

Maybe they just pay that money to another city to hire their police force to handle the games?

I don't think they actually disband the police department, but if they did, I assume the companies downtown would increase their security and create a private police force of sorts to protect their employees and customers. Same would go for the Vikings to protect their fans.
If I understand correctly George Floyd was security at US Bank Stadium.
I do not think he did or articles would have mentioned it
0 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4526
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 272

Re: Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by fiestavike » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:01 am

I could see them having trouble getting event insurance. Games may have to be played outside of the city.
0 x

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 249

Re: Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by StumpHunter » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:05 am

To answer your question Kapp, I would go by myself, but would not take the family into that situation.

If the Minneapolis city council gets their way it will cost the lives of a lot of innocent folks and cause even more hurt in neighborhoods that have had to deal with too much already.
0 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4526
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 272

Re: Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by fiestavike » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:52 am

StumpHunter wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:05 am
To answer your question Kapp, I would go by myself, but would not take the family into that situation.

If the Minneapolis city council gets their way it will cost the lives of a lot of innocent folks and cause even more hurt in neighborhoods that have had to deal with too much already.
The games won't take place if the police are disbanded. The money won't allow it. At least not in Minneapolis. Maybe outside of the city, maybe in another state, like San Antonio, TX, where they have an empty stadium and led the AFL in attendance. If it comes to that, don't be surprised if the Vikings never come back.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1476
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 368

Re: Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by VikingsVictorious » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:05 am

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:04 am
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:35 am

If I understand correctly George Floyd was security at US Bank Stadium.
I do not think he did or articles would have mentioned it
I read it in an article.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1476
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 368

Re: Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by VikingsVictorious » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:08 am

StumpHunter wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:03 am
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:35 am

If I understand correctly George Floyd was security at US Bank Stadium.
No idea. I know he did security at a local club with the officer who killed him, so it is possible.
So you can confirm he worked security, but can't confirm US Bank Stadium. That's what I thought I read, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
0 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 811
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 290

Re: Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by RandyMoss84 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:40 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:05 am
RandyMoss84 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:04 am


I do not think he did or articles would have mentioned it
I read it in an article.
I meant I did not think he worked at US Bank Stadium
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12173
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 373

Re: Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by S197 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:22 pm

If anything were to happen, it would be well after the season is over would be my guess. This type of change cannot happen in a matter of months.

I've never felt anything but completely safe attending games and I don't anticipate that changing.
0 x

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 128

Re: Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by YikesVikes » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:24 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:05 am
To answer your question Kapp, I would go by myself, but would not take the family into that situation.

If the Minneapolis city council gets their way it will cost the lives of a lot of innocent folks and cause even more hurt in neighborhoods that have had to deal with too much already.
Where is your proof of this?
0 x

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 128

Re: Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by YikesVikes » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:27 pm

fiestavike wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:52 am
StumpHunter wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:05 am
To answer your question Kapp, I would go by myself, but would not take the family into that situation.

If the Minneapolis city council gets their way it will cost the lives of a lot of innocent folks and cause even more hurt in neighborhoods that have had to deal with too much already.
The games won't take place if the police are disbanded. The money won't allow it. At least not in Minneapolis. Maybe outside of the city, maybe in another state, like San Antonio, TX, where they have an empty stadium and led the AFL in attendance. If it comes to that, don't be surprised if the Vikings never come back.
I don't support the initiative to disband the police but many of you guys assumptions are based on fear of the unknown. We don't know what it would be like. However, I can point to statistical evidence that shows that as the amount of policing decreases so does the amount of crime. I show it is not on a ratio of 1:1 but maybe a bell curve where there is an optimal amount of policing and anything less than that amount leads us also seeing an increase in crime.
0 x

cogitator
Starter
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Denver
x 9

Re: Disbanding the police dept? Effect on Vikings games?

Post by cogitator » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:09 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:27 pm

I don't support the initiative to disband the police but many of you guys assumptions are based on fear of the unknown. We don't know what it would be like. However, I can point to statistical evidence that shows that as the amount of policing decreases so does the amount of crime. I show it is not on a ratio of 1:1 but maybe a bell curve where there is an optimal amount of policing and anything less than that amount leads us also seeing an increase in crime.
Please do point to that statistical evidence with a link.

Should be an interesting social experiment, and I look forward to observing it from a great distance.

I think the law of unintended consequences may come into play here.
0 x