Vikings Brother in bad health

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 376

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by VikingsVictorious » Wed May 20, 2020 6:25 pm

VikingLord wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:46 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:07 pm
Does anybody here know how restrictive being on a ventilator is? Can Bruce watch TV? Talk to people. Surf the internet?
I want to wish Bruce well along with the many people struggling with severe effects from the virus. What you are experiencing is being played out over and over all around the world and it is frankly terrifying that we are all so helpless if the face of a force of nature like this that strikes down people with seemingly random efficiency in all stages and walks of life.

As far as what I know about ventilators as they apply to COVID patients, most of these patients are fully sedated and the ventilator is placed via a tracheotomy. That means they are not conscious and are fed intravenously during the time they are ventilated while their immune systems receive support as they attempt to clear the virus. This support comes in the form of drugs or plasma from recovered patients that contain COVID antibodies in an attempt to hinder viral replication and/or boost immune response. These treatments have had varying degrees of success so far as one can see from the US and worldwide mortality data. There doesn't appear to be a magic bullet prophylactic or post-infection treatment that is effective in all cases so far, so it will be up to Bruce's doctors as to what course of treatment is best for his situation and what is available to them to try.

Bruce has a good chance of recovering from this. His chances of recovery are much better than his chances of dying, so take comfort in that fact and try to stay positive. If you can help him and his wife at all, it will be by focusing on good thoughts and remaining optimistic.
How does full sedation compare to induced coma? Karl Anthony Towns Mom was on a ventilator in an induced coma and never recovered.
0 x

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6636
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 298

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by VikingLord » Thu May 21, 2020 1:21 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:25 pm
How does full sedation compare to induced coma? Karl Anthony Towns Mom was on a ventilator in an induced coma and never recovered.
It's essentially the same thing. If you've ever had surgery under general anesthesia, you've been put into what is effectively an induced coma. You have no chance of waking or experiencing even involuntary movement. In the case of mechanical ventilation the ventilator "breathes" for you. In the case of mechanical ventilation for COVID patients, the air being pumped into the lungs is nearly pure oxygen. The purpose of that is to restore blood oxygen levels and stabilize the person to stabilize their vitals and give their immune system time to fight off the virus.

The ventilator will buy Bruce's body time to fight the infection. Odds are in his favor that he will be successful and overcome it, although as was the case with Karl Anthony Towns Mom, there is a chance he won't be able to beat it even with that extra time.
1 x

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6636
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 298

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by VikingLord » Thu May 21, 2020 1:22 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:25 pm
How does full sedation compare to induced coma? Karl Anthony Towns Mom was on a ventilator in an induced coma and never recovered.
It's essentially the same thing. If you've ever had surgery under general anesthesia, you've been put into what is effectively an induced coma. You have no chance of waking or experiencing even involuntary movement. In the case of mechanical ventilation the ventilator "breathes" for you. In the case of mechanical ventilation for COVID patients, the air being pumped into the lungs is nearly pure oxygen. The purpose of that is to restore blood oxygen levels and stabilize their vitals, giving their immune system time to fight off the virus.

The ventilator will buy Bruce's body time to fight the infection. Odds are in his favor that he will be successful and overcome it, although as was the case with Karl Anthony Towns Mom, there is a chance he won't be able to beat it even with that extra time.
Last edited by VikingLord on Thu May 21, 2020 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7947
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 654

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Thu May 21, 2020 7:46 am

Sorry haven’t been on here a ton lately. Prayers sent his way man. That sucks to hear. I hope he can pull his way through!
1 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:45 am
x 10

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by chicagopurple » Thu May 21, 2020 4:11 pm

I dont post much lately because the team in the last few years has done nothing but frustrate me after 40+ yrs of cheering for them.
As the saying goes, if you dont have anything nice to say, hold your tongues.....
As far as Covid goes, I am a Physician, dealing with this pandemic on a daily basis in the Chicago area. This really is a War.
Our hospitals are more then full of critically ill people, young and middle age. No one is immune. Our cities look calm and quiet because ethical, caring citizens are doing their part by staying at home, wearing masks, washing hands etc.
This virus is a highly aggressive mutation, I suspect it will not follow the rules of the common Corona strain which is a winter cold bug. It doesnt appear to be fading with the spring weather.
Patients who experience the severe pneumonitis and require a ventilator have a grave prognosis. 90% of patients who went on a Vent in NYC never came off the Vent, and died. Here in Chicago fatality rates for ventilated patients range from 30-50% depending on the population.
None of the medications to date to treat this illness is very effective. Viruses are very simple things, not really alive, just a strand of DNA with a protein coat. No cell structure, no organs for us to attack. The only real option to conquor this will be a vaccine which takes time to develop, IF possible. Plasma infusion can help in critical cases but it is not a product that can be manufactured en mass.
PLEASE, Ignore the fools out there saying this is all overblown and encouraging people to go back to "normal" and socialized.....The Greatest Generation of America faced Fascism, sent their kids to fight and die.....all that we are being asked to do is stay home. It will be pretty lame if our generation fails at this challenge.
My co-workers are self-lessly exposing themselves to this disease and getting really sick and or dying in the process. Don't work against our efforts. Thanks for reading my "rant"......
3 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 376

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by VikingsVictorious » Thu May 21, 2020 5:22 pm

VikingLord wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:21 am
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:25 pm
How does full sedation compare to induced coma? Karl Anthony Towns Mom was on a ventilator in an induced coma and never recovered.
It's essentially the same thing. If you've ever had surgery under general anesthesia, you've been put into what is effectively an induced coma. You have no chance of waking or experiencing even involuntary movement. In the case of mechanical ventilation the ventilator "breathes" for you. In the case of mechanical ventilation for COVID patients, the air being pumped into the lungs is nearly pure oxygen. The purpose of that is to restore blood oxygen levels and stabilize the person to stabilize their vitals and give their immune system time to fight off the virus.

The ventilator will buy Bruce's body time to fight the infection. Odds are in his favor that he will be successful and overcome it, although as was the case with Karl Anthony Towns Mom, there is a chance he won't be able to beat it even with that extra time.
Thanks. No update at this time.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 376

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by VikingsVictorious » Thu May 21, 2020 5:23 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:46 am
Sorry haven’t been on here a ton lately. Prayers sent his way man. That sucks to hear. I hope he can pull his way through!
You and me and many others. Thanks. I have no update at this time.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 376

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by VikingsVictorious » Thu May 21, 2020 5:27 pm

chicagopurple wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:11 pm
I dont post much lately because the team in the last few years has done nothing but frustrate me after 40+ yrs of cheering for them.
As the saying goes, if you dont have anything nice to say, hold your tongues.....
As far as Covid goes, I am a Physician, dealing with this pandemic on a daily basis in the Chicago area. This really is a War.
Our hospitals are more then full of critically ill people, young and middle age. No one is immune. Our cities look calm and quiet because ethical, caring citizens are doing their part by staying at home, wearing masks, washing hands etc.
This virus is a highly aggressive mutation, I suspect it will not follow the rules of the common Corona strain which is a winter cold bug. It doesnt appear to be fading with the spring weather.
Patients who experience the severe pneumonitis and require a ventilator have a grave prognosis. 90% of patients who went on a Vent in NYC never came off the Vent, and died. Here in Chicago fatality rates for ventilated patients range from 30-50% depending on the population.
None of the medications to date to treat this illness is very effective. Viruses are very simple things, not really alive, just a strand of DNA with a protein coat. No cell structure, no organs for us to attack. The only real option to conquor this will be a vaccine which takes time to develop, IF possible. Plasma infusion can help in critical cases but it is not a product that can be manufactured en mass.
PLEASE, Ignore the fools out there saying this is all overblown and encouraging people to go back to "normal" and socialized.....The Greatest Generation of America faced Fascism, sent their kids to fight and die.....all that we are being asked to do is stay home. It will be pretty lame if our generation fails at this challenge.
My co-workers are self-lessly exposing themselves to this disease and getting really sick and or dying in the process. Don't work against our efforts. Thanks for reading my "rant"......
Thanks for the info. Right now I'm happy with hearing he has an over 50% chance of survival based on Chicago #s. I think we can make that better with lots of prayer.
0 x

User avatar
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 am
Location: Convoy, Ohio
x 331

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by Bowhunting Viking » Thu May 21, 2020 9:30 pm

chicagopurple wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:11 pm
I dont post much lately because the team in the last few years has done nothing but frustrate me after 40+ yrs of cheering for them.
As the saying goes, if you dont have anything nice to say, hold your tongues.....
As far as Covid goes, I am a Physician, dealing with this pandemic on a daily basis in the Chicago area. This really is a War.
Our hospitals are more then full of critically ill people, young and middle age. No one is immune. Our cities look calm and quiet because ethical, caring citizens are doing their part by staying at home, wearing masks, washing hands etc.
This virus is a highly aggressive mutation, I suspect it will not follow the rules of the common Corona strain which is a winter cold bug. It doesnt appear to be fading with the spring weather.
Patients who experience the severe pneumonitis and require a ventilator have a grave prognosis. 90% of patients who went on a Vent in NYC never came off the Vent, and died. Here in Chicago fatality rates for ventilated patients range from 30-50% depending on the population.
None of the medications to date to treat this illness is very effective. Viruses are very simple things, not really alive, just a strand of DNA with a protein coat. No cell structure, no organs for us to attack. The only real option to conquor this will be a vaccine which takes time to develop, IF possible. Plasma infusion can help in critical cases but it is not a product that can be manufactured en mass.
PLEASE, Ignore the fools out there saying this is all overblown and encouraging people to go back to "normal" and socialized.....The Greatest Generation of America faced Fascism, sent their kids to fight and die.....all that we are being asked to do is stay home. It will be pretty lame if our generation fails at this challenge.
My co-workers are self-lessly exposing themselves to this disease and getting really sick and or dying in the process. Don't work against our efforts. Thanks for reading my "rant"......

Chicagopurple, First off let me say that what you said wasn't a rant. It was a statement of truth, logic and common sense based on firsthand, hands on experienced knowledge. I appreciate your truthfulness and candor in conveying a message that is very much needed to be heard. I know the board rules are to not discuss politics here, and I won't go into detail, but I also wish that some politicians would heed the warnings of people such as yourself and stop bowing down to the Almighty altar of greed and the Almighty dollar and go back to putting human beings lives ahead of the economy and corporate profits. I will stop there. Mods if I said too much I do apologize, but this is a different situation. I wasn't here backing a candidate or a political party, so I hope you understand where I was coming from.
Most importantly, I want to say a sincere and heartfelt THANK YOU Chicagopurple for being on the front line in this battle and selflessly putting yourself, as well as your colleagues, in such danger to try and save lives and treat those infected with this horrible pandemic.
My sister is a surgical nurse who is helping with treating Covoid patients, and my daughter is a regional manager in Public Health for the Ohio CDC and is also involved in this fight. She isn't actually treating patients the way you are, but believe me she is working very long hours in helping with implementing testing and treatment protocols and procedures.
It saddens me to see and hear the way ( actually it angers me) that some people are not taking this situation serious, and by their negligence and selfishness are putting others that are older or compromised at risk because of their behavior.
I will say that I am more sensitive to it because both my wife and I fall into the compromised category although we are both only 55 due to hereditary heart disease for me and her being an insulin pump dependent diabetic and also has an autoimmune disorder. And both of my elderly parents are also due to underlying health issues. So I totally understand where your frustration comes from, except for the fact that yours runs even deeper given the fact that you are on the frontlines of this battle.
I pray that with so many states , and now our government at the Federal level against the advise of the health experts, seemingly being in a rush to reopen things for economic reasons, that we don't start seeing another wave of increases in cases. I am very afraid we will, but I hope and pray I am wrong.
Again , i want to thank you for doing what you are doing.
Now my rant is over. If anyone was offended I apologize, but i was just speaking from my heart and my POV.
0 x
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
x 132

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by YikesVikes » Fri May 22, 2020 12:20 pm

VikingLord wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:22 am
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:25 pm
How does full sedation compare to induced coma? Karl Anthony Towns Mom was on a ventilator in an induced coma and never recovered.
It's essentially the same thing. If you've ever had surgery under general anesthesia, you've been put into what is effectively an induced coma. You have no chance of waking or experiencing even involuntary movement. In the case of mechanical ventilation the ventilator "breathes" for you. In the case of mechanical ventilation for COVID patients, the air being pumped into the lungs is nearly pure oxygen. The purpose of that is to restore blood oxygen levels and stabilize their vitals, giving their immune system time to fight off the virus.

The ventilator will buy Bruce's body time to fight the infection. Odds are in his favor that he will be successful and overcome it, although as was the case with Karl Anthony Towns Mom, there is a chance he won't be able to beat it even with that extra time.
Its not exactly the same. Sedation allows one to still have much of their functions. For example, people have woken up during surgery with sedation. A medically induced coma is a deeper level of "sedation" where the patient has no retention of their bodily functions. Clear differences in the two.
0 x

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6636
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Land of the Ice and Snow
x 298

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by VikingLord » Fri May 22, 2020 3:48 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:20 pm
Its not exactly the same. Sedation allows one to still have much of their functions. For example, people have woken up during surgery with sedation. A medically induced coma is a deeper level of "sedation" where the patient has no retention of their bodily functions. Clear differences in the two.
I'm not an anesthesiologist so I can't speak to the details of the drugs used, but the point of general anesthesia is to render someone unconscious for a period of time so that surgery can be performed safely. There are forms of sedation that don't render the person completely unconscious, but those are not used for vents as vents require complete immobilization.

The cases of people waking up during surgery are very rare (thankfully!) and not intended. In many of those cases someone made a mistake or something unusual happened. My guess is someone somewhere has regained consciousness unexpectedly from an induced coma as well.
0 x

Frozen Rope
Rookie
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:27 am
x 24

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by Frozen Rope » Fri May 22, 2020 8:41 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:28 pm
Hey everybody. I post on Talk Vikes a bit more than here and one of the more popular guys over there has COVID19 and is either on a ventilator right now or going on one very soon. He is a good friend to the Vikings community. His name is Bruce Johnson and for those who believe in prayer I recommend sending some prayers for him. If not send some good vibes. Thanks.
We will lift up Bruce to our Heavenly Father, asking God to surround him with his love, his presence, his peace and most of all his promises. He never leaves or forsakes us. Keep us updated if you would.
1 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 376

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by VikingsVictorious » Fri May 22, 2020 9:53 pm

Frozen Rope wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:41 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:28 pm
Hey everybody. I post on Talk Vikes a bit more than here and one of the more popular guys over there has COVID19 and is either on a ventilator right now or going on one very soon. He is a good friend to the Vikings community. His name is Bruce Johnson and for those who believe in prayer I recommend sending some prayers for him. If not send some good vibes. Thanks.
We will lift up Bruce to our Heavenly Father, asking God to surround him with his love, his presence, his peace and most of all his promises. He never leaves or forsakes us. Keep us updated if you would.
I appreciate all the prayers. I will certainly update you all, but nothing to report right now.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 376

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sun May 24, 2020 8:59 pm

Still no update on Bruce. Please continue prayers.
0 x

Frozen Rope
Rookie
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:27 am
x 24

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by Frozen Rope » Sun May 24, 2020 9:50 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:59 pm
Still no update on Bruce. Please continue prayers.
We are and will continue Rick
1 x