Two moves that might get Vikings to Super Bowl!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player

Re: Two moves that might get Vikings to Super Bowl!!!

Post by StumpHunter » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:44 pm

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:16 pm
fiestavike wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:08 pm
I'd take Jameis before Newton. The Thuney idea is interesting.
Jameis is awful, I am glad he is a Saint so I do not have to worry about Vikings signing him
From a pure football sense, I would take Jameis in his prime over a broken Cam Newton.

However, if I look at the things Jameis has been accused of, and what he has been suspended for, I would no longer be a fan of the Vikings if they signed him. Like you, I am glad the Saints signed him, since I don't think anything good will come of it.

What a departure from Bress. I can't think of a QB more different in skillset, personality and morality.
0 x

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:58 pm

Purplepain2018 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:01 pm
It has been a couple of days since the Vikings draft and I must say I am pretty impressed for sure with the players drafted. It appears the way the draft went that the defense was the focus as they got some really good players in Gladney, Wonnum, Dantzler, Lynch, Dye, Willegus, Hand, Cole and Metullus. The Vikings will be a very young team and should have a really good defensive line rotation. The way the Vikings got man handled by the 49ers probably was one reason they went defense heavy.

On the offensive side, I loved the Jefferson, Cleveland picks, I would have liked to have seen so more offensive line players selected, but this is where my theory comes into play. In order to solidify the offensive line, the Vikings should make a trade for New England Patriot All pro guard Joe Thuney. This would get Pat Elflein off the field and used only as a backup, It would give much needed experience and leadership to a young offensive line. The starting five, hopefully, would be Cleveland, Thuney, Bradbury, Samia, and O'Neil.

My second move, controversial, would to be bring in QB Cam Newton as Kirk Cousin's back up. I know I am not the biggest Newton fan either, but he has experience, Super Bowl starting QB, won a national championship at Auburn and has a ton of experience. I know he is a bit of a head case, but for a one year deal he might be just what the Vikings could use to finally get us to another Super Bowl and win it. It also would be tough to get him under the salary cap as well, but is he worth the shot? Plus, our current back up Sean Mannion scares nobody.

Who is in?
WHy is he a head case? Ever been in trouble? Ever called out his coach? Nope. Guy just dresses a bit extra.
0 x

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:54 pm

I don't see any way the Vikings are going to pry Joe Thuney away from Bill Belichick without paying a king's ransom. Belichick, with the notable exception of Jimmy G, never gets the short end of a trade. And I don't think the Jimmy G trade was his idea.

Cam Newton, for all I care, can open his own line of stupid hats and make a fortune. I sure don't want him under center for the Vikings. We just traded one drama queen. We don't need another.
1 x
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:59 pm

Rumor had it gabe jackson was available from Las Vegas...what do we know about Jackson?
0 x

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:32 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:44 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:16 pm

Jameis is awful, I am glad he is a Saint so I do not have to worry about Vikings signing him
From a pure football sense, I would take Jameis in his prime over a broken Cam Newton.

However, if I look at the things Jameis has been accused of, and what he has been suspended for, I would no longer be a fan of the Vikings if they signed him. Like you, I am glad the Saints signed him, since I don't think anything good will come of it.

What a departure from Bress. I can't think of a QB more different in skillset, personality and morality.
I don't know, man. Sean Bleeping Payton has a way with quarterbacks. Of course, that's what they said about Bruce Arians, so who knows? But that Saints team is loaded.

Don't be surprised if Winston plays more than anyone would imagine. Brees is 41 years old. He doesn't bounce back from hits the way he used to.
0 x
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

Rhodes Closed
Transition Player

Post by Rhodes Closed » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:29 am

YikesVikes wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:58 pm
Purplepain2018 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:01 pm
It has been a couple of days since the Vikings draft and I must say I am pretty impressed for sure with the players drafted. It appears the way the draft went that the defense was the focus as they got some really good players in Gladney, Wonnum, Dantzler, Lynch, Dye, Willegus, Hand, Cole and Metullus. The Vikings will be a very young team and should have a really good defensive line rotation. The way the Vikings got man handled by the 49ers probably was one reason they went defense heavy.

On the offensive side, I loved the Jefferson, Cleveland picks, I would have liked to have seen so more offensive line players selected, but this is where my theory comes into play. In order to solidify the offensive line, the Vikings should make a trade for New England Patriot All pro guard Joe Thuney. This would get Pat Elflein off the field and used only as a backup, It would give much needed experience and leadership to a young offensive line. The starting five, hopefully, would be Cleveland, Thuney, Bradbury, Samia, and O'Neil.

My second move, controversial, would to be bring in QB Cam Newton as Kirk Cousin's back up. I know I am not the biggest Newton fan either, but he has experience, Super Bowl starting QB, won a national championship at Auburn and has a ton of experience. I know he is a bit of a head case, but for a one year deal he might be just what the Vikings could use to finally get us to another Super Bowl and win it. It also would be tough to get him under the salary cap as well, but is he worth the shot? Plus, our current back up Sean Mannion scares nobody.

Who is in?
WHy is he a head case? Ever been in trouble? Ever called out his coach? Nope. Guy just dresses a bit extra.
Walked out of an interview after the Super Bowl because he refused to admit he #### up for his team, and also had been hostile to the media for years now.
0 x

VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikingsVictorious » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:56 am

Rhodes Closed wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:29 am
YikesVikes wrote:

Walked out of an interview after the Super Bowl because he refused to admit he #### up for his team, and also had been hostile to the media for years now.
I totally respect being hostile to the media. Bunch of leeches.
0 x

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:25 am

Cam is a egomaniac. Hopefully this experience will humble him and make him a better man.
0 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player

Post by StumpHunter » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:05 am

fiestavike wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:25 am
Cam is a egomaniac. Hopefully this experience will humble him and make him a better man.
If some team doesn't become desperate for a starter before the season, I think he ends up retiring rather than be a backup because of that ego.

To be fair to him though, Rodgers has a massive ego. So does Brady.
0 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player

Post by StumpHunter » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:21 pm

Winston got 1 million plus incentives to play for the Saints. :lol:
0 x

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:31 pm

Rhodes Closed wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:29 am
YikesVikes wrote:

Lol. Man. I can't believe he is still in the league after that. What a nut :sleep:
0 x

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:33 pm

StumpHunter wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:05 am
fiestavike wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:25 am
If some team doesn't become desperate for a starter before the season, I think he ends up retiring rather than be a backup because of that ego.

RIght but Cam is vilified for it. Don't get me wrong, he rubs me as robotic and always says the right thing for the Cameras but so is Brady and everyone loves him.

Do Disrespect to Kirk but he is not better QB than Cam is right not. Cam would also be a better fit as a pure football player. There are things Kirk does better than Cam but I would trade Kirk for Cam in a heartbeat.
Last edited by YikesVikes on Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikingsVictorious » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:36 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:33 pm
StumpHunter wrote:

RIght but Cam is vilified for it. Don't get me wrong, he rubs me as robotic and always says the right thing for the Cameras but so is Brady and everyone loves him.
Everyone I know hates Brady. I despise him.
0 x

kidfozzy.
Backup

Post by kidfozzy. » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:06 pm

I’d trade heavy for Thuney (2nd round, 3rd.. 2nd come 2022), dude is special. My Pats friends would think “tank” mode the moment he leaves them.

Cam Newton is broken down with no deep passing whatsoever. Not worth it.
0 x

VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikingsVictorious » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:16 pm

YikesVikes wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:33 pm
StumpHunter wrote:

Do Disrespect to Kirk but he is not better QB than Cam is right not. Cam would also be a better fit as a pure football player. There are things Kirk does better than Cam but I would trade Kirk for Cam in a heartbeat.
Kirk is a far better QB than Cam is now and probably better than Cam ever was.
0 x