Cornerbacks

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8023
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 680

Re: Cornerbacks

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:51 am

I liked many of the picks we had this year but I think one of my favorites and more under the radar is Dantzler. I think he's going to be an absolute stud. He faced top competition every year, I think he allowed 1 (maybe 2) TDs in his coverage in 2 years of starting, he shut down Jamarr Chase this past year (who I think was the best WR in college football). I think Dantzler allowed 2 catches for 15 yards in his coverage vs. LSU this year.

Like if you're not allowing hardly any TDs as a CB in 2 years in the SEC, shutting down the best WR in college football and allowing 2 catches against the top offense and QB in college football, that spells shutdown CB if you ask me.

I think Dantzler was an absolute steal in round 3 and I wouldnt be surprised one bit if its Dantzler and Gladney starting on the outside and Hughes in the slot at some point this year.
1 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 399

Re: Cornerbacks

Post by VikingsVictorious » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:12 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:51 am
I liked many of the picks we had this year but I think one of my favorites and more under the radar is Dantzler. I think he's going to be an absolute stud. He faced top competition every year, I think he allowed 1 (maybe 2) TDs in his coverage in 2 years of starting, he shut down Jamarr Chase this past year (who I think was the best WR in college football). I think Dantzler allowed 2 catches for 15 yards in his coverage vs. LSU this year.

Like if you're not allowing hardly any TDs as a CB in 2 years in the SEC, shutting down the best WR in college football and allowing 2 catches against the top offense and QB in college football, that spells shutdown CB if you ask me.

I think Dantzler was an absolute steal in round 3 and I wouldnt be surprised one bit if its Dantzler and Gladney starting on the outside and Hughes in the slot at some point this year.
IIRC he allowed just the one TD, but more than the 2 catches. I like him.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12278
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 432

Re: Cornerbacks

Post by S197 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:07 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:51 am
I liked many of the picks we had this year but I think one of my favorites and more under the radar is Dantzler. I think he's going to be an absolute stud. He faced top competition every year, I think he allowed 1 (maybe 2) TDs in his coverage in 2 years of starting, he shut down Jamarr Chase this past year (who I think was the best WR in college football). I think Dantzler allowed 2 catches for 15 yards in his coverage vs. LSU this year.

Like if you're not allowing hardly any TDs as a CB in 2 years in the SEC, shutting down the best WR in college football and allowing 2 catches against the top offense and QB in college football, that spells shutdown CB if you ask me.

I think Dantzler was an absolute steal in round 3 and I wouldnt be surprised one bit if its Dantzler and Gladney starting on the outside and Hughes in the slot at some point this year.
His production against top talent is definitely what makes him intriguing. I think it's clear he fell to the 3rd because his measurables are pretty terrible. Speed, vert, weight, arm length, etc. all well below average. The only thing he really has going for him is his height.

Now obviously there is a difference between being a track star and being able to perform on the field. And he's been able to hang with just about everyone on the field so that's certainly promising. Some guys just show up on game day, hopefully Dantzler is that guy. He reminds me a bit of Dre Kirkpatrick and I think he could have a similar career. Hopefully he pans out better but that's who pops out to me in terms of similar size.

I think you're right in that he'll likely eventually end up outside and Hughes will be in the slot. It's a little annoying we spent a 1st round pick on a slot corner but it is what it is.
1 x

StumpHunter
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2024
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 298

Re: Cornerbacks

Post by StumpHunter » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:24 pm

S197 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:07 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:51 am
I liked many of the picks we had this year but I think one of my favorites and more under the radar is Dantzler. I think he's going to be an absolute stud. He faced top competition every year, I think he allowed 1 (maybe 2) TDs in his coverage in 2 years of starting, he shut down Jamarr Chase this past year (who I think was the best WR in college football). I think Dantzler allowed 2 catches for 15 yards in his coverage vs. LSU this year.

Like if you're not allowing hardly any TDs as a CB in 2 years in the SEC, shutting down the best WR in college football and allowing 2 catches against the top offense and QB in college football, that spells shutdown CB if you ask me.

I think Dantzler was an absolute steal in round 3 and I wouldnt be surprised one bit if its Dantzler and Gladney starting on the outside and Hughes in the slot at some point this year.
His production against top talent is definitely what makes him intriguing. I think it's clear he fell to the 3rd because his measurables are pretty terrible. Speed, vert, weight, arm length, etc. all well below average. The only thing he really has going for him is his height.

Now obviously there is a difference between being a track star and being able to perform on the field. And he's been able to hang with just about everyone on the field so that's certainly promising. Some guys just show up on game day, hopefully Dantzler is that guy. He reminds me a bit of Dre Kirkpatrick and I think he could have a similar career. Hopefully he pans out better but that's who pops out to me in terms of similar size.

I think you're right in that he'll likely eventually end up outside and Hughes will be in the slot. It's a little annoying we spent a 1st round pick on a slot corner but it is what it is.
If he could be a slot hybrid like Logan Ryan, that might add some value. I believe TN played Ryan on the outside in their base D, and then moved him to the slot when they went nickle or dime.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 399

Re: Cornerbacks

Post by VikingsVictorious » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:54 am

S197 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:07 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:51 am
I liked many of the picks we had this year but I think one of my favorites and more under the radar is Dantzler. I think he's going to be an absolute stud. He faced top competition every year, I think he allowed 1 (maybe 2) TDs in his coverage in 2 years of starting, he shut down Jamarr Chase this past year (who I think was the best WR in college football). I think Dantzler allowed 2 catches for 15 yards in his coverage vs. LSU this year.

Like if you're not allowing hardly any TDs as a CB in 2 years in the SEC, shutting down the best WR in college football and allowing 2 catches against the top offense and QB in college football, that spells shutdown CB if you ask me.

I think Dantzler was an absolute steal in round 3 and I wouldnt be surprised one bit if its Dantzler and Gladney starting on the outside and Hughes in the slot at some point this year.
His production against top talent is definitely what makes him intriguing. I think it's clear he fell to the 3rd because his measurables are pretty terrible. Speed, vert, weight, arm length, etc. all well below average. The only thing he really has going for him is his height.

Now obviously there is a difference between being a track star and being able to perform on the field. And he's been able to hang with just about everyone on the field so that's certainly promising. Some guys just show up on game day, hopefully Dantzler is that guy. He reminds me a bit of Dre Kirkpatrick and I think he could have a similar career. Hopefully he pans out better but that's who pops out to me in terms of similar size.

I think you're right in that he'll likely eventually end up outside and Hughes will be in the slot. It's a little annoying we spent a 1st round pick on a slot corner but it is what it is.
You got to know when to throw a bad combine 40 time out the window. #### happens sometimes and his combine 40 was an example of it. That said I never trust Pro Day 40 times so throw that out the window as well and just go by his game video where he is fast enough to get the job done against the very best.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12278
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 432

Re: Cornerbacks

Post by S197 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:21 pm

1 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 955
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 315

Re: Cornerbacks

Post by RandyMoss84 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:05 pm

S197 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:21 pm
Dantzler holding his own.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1295 ... 48804?s=20
Just because he broke up a pass in practice does not mean he is going to hold up his own in a real game
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 399

Re: Cornerbacks

Post by VikingsVictorious » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:59 am

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:05 pm
S197 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:21 pm
Dantzler holding his own.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1295 ... 48804?s=20
Just because he broke up a pass in practice does not mean he is going to hold up his own in a real game
It's just one play, but what a play. He took on pro bowl WR Adam Thielen and pretty much made him his ####. That one play has me quite excited for Dantzler's future. :rock: :govikes: :bowdown:
0 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 955
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 315

Re: Cornerbacks

Post by RandyMoss84 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:46 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:59 am
RandyMoss84 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:05 pm


Just because he broke up a pass in practice does not mean he is going to hold up his own in a real game
It's just one play, but what a play. He took on pro bowl WR Adam Thielen and pretty much made him his ####. That one play has me quite excited for Dantzler's future. :rock: :govikes: :bowdown:
Eric Kelly did the same thing in practice against Randy and he ended up sucking so do not get your hopes up
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 399

Re: Cornerbacks

Post by VikingsVictorious » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:44 am

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:46 am
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:59 am

It's just one play, but what a play. He took on pro bowl WR Adam Thielen and pretty much made him his ####. That one play has me quite excited for Dantzler's future. :rock: :govikes: :bowdown:
Eric Kelly did the same thing in practice against Randy and he ended up sucking so do not get your hopes up
My hopes are very much up.
Erik Kelly made Randy his ####? Show me a link to this.
0 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 955
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 315

Re: Cornerbacks

Post by RandyMoss84 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:05 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:44 am
RandyMoss84 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:46 am


Eric Kelly did the same thing in practice against Randy and he ended up sucking so do not get your hopes up
My hopes are very much up.
Erik Kelly made Randy his ####? Show me a link to this.
I was joking :lol:
0 x

User avatar
Passepartout
Rookie
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:33 pm
x 4

Re: Cornerbacks

Post by Passepartout » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:11 pm

Joke is on us!
0 x
Autumn Winds!

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 399

Re: Cornerbacks

Post by VikingsVictorious » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:48 pm

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:05 am
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:44 am

My hopes are very much up.
Erik Kelly made Randy his ####? Show me a link to this.
I was joking :lol:
Dantzler making more great plays in practice today. Defensive Rookie of the Year talk.
0 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 955
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 315

Re: Cornerbacks

Post by RandyMoss84 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:35 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:48 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:05 am


I was joking :lol:
Dantzler making more great plays in practice today. Defensive Rookie of the Year talk.
And Offensive Rookie of the Year is? If Dantzler is not starting then he is not getting it
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 399

Re: Cornerbacks

Post by VikingsVictorious » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:52 am

RandyMoss84 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:35 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:48 pm

Dantzler making more great plays in practice today. Defensive Rookie of the Year talk.
And Offensive Rookie of the Year is? If Dantzler is not starting then he is not getting it
Not saying he is getting it, but he's looking so good in camp he's on the short list of prospects for the award.
0 x