Hey Spielman try TRADING UP FOR A CHANGE!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplepain2018
Backup
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:46 pm
x 23

Hey Spielman try TRADING UP FOR A CHANGE!!!

Post by Purplepain2018 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:58 pm

I posted a couple of days ago about this might be Spielman's last draft with the Vikings because it is so frustrating as a Vikings fan watching the draft with this guy as general manager. As a fan, I am sitting there waiting(sometimes for a couple of hours) for the Vikings next pick and I look at the screen and it says, TRADE!!!! The trade he makes it is always BACK it is NEVER to move up. There are so many players that could help this team, but he trades back for players that I have never heard of before.

Today, in the fifth round he trades back with the stinking Bears a division rival. Why would you want to help a team in your own division by trading picks with them? Also, why does Slick Rick NEVER trade up? I am just so sick of this guy.

Does anybody else feel the same way?
1 x

User avatar
RandyMoss84
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 744
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:12 pm
x 278

Re: Hey Spielman try TRADING UP FOR A CHANGE!!!

Post by RandyMoss84 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:01 pm

Purplepain2018 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:58 pm
I posted a couple of days ago about this might be Spielman's last draft with the Vikings because it is so frustrating as a Vikings fan watching the draft with this guy as general manager. As a fan, I am sitting there waiting(sometimes for a couple of hours) for the Vikings next pick and I look at the screen and it says, TRADE!!!! The trade he makes it is always BACK it is NEVER to move up. There are so many players that could help this team, but he trades back for players that I have never heard of before.

Today, in the fifth round he trades back with the stinking Bears a division rival. Why would you want to help a team in your own division by trading picks with them? Also, why does Slick Rick NEVER trade up? I am just so sick of this guy.

Does anybody else feel the same way?
Oh quit whining! Speilman tried to trade up but could not find a trade partner so it is not his fault plus most of the talent just fell to the Vikings so Vikings are very fortunate
1 x

Purplepain2018
Backup
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:46 pm
x 23

Re: Hey Spielman try TRADING UP FOR A CHANGE!!!

Post by Purplepain2018 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:42 pm

Man, you aint got a clue. There are players that could help this team and he does not even try to trade up to get those players. We have not drafted a guard, defensive tackle, safety, or a quarterback this entire draft. The Vikings could have got up and got those players with as many picks as they had. Cowboys want a player they make a trade and go up and get him like the center from Wisconsin. Are you saying that we could not have used this guy? Sure we could.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 354

Re: Hey Spielman try TRADING UP FOR A CHANGE!!!

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:52 pm

Purplepain2018 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:42 pm
Man, you aint got a clue. There are players that could help this team and he does not even try to trade up to get those players. We have not drafted a guard, defensive tackle, safety, or a quarterback this entire draft. The Vikings could have got up and got those players with as many picks as they had. Cowboys want a player they make a trade and go up and get him like the center from Wisconsin. Are you saying that we could not have used this guy? Sure we could.
James Lynch will play DT 3T for us. We drafted two safeties. Hand (should convert) and Mettellus.
We have not used a pick on QB or guard.
1 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4518
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 272

Re: Hey Spielman try TRADING UP FOR A CHANGE!!!

Post by fiestavike » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:53 pm

I love the trade backs. I want more trade backs. Keep improving draft position year after year by flipping late round picks up a round. I love taking lots of shots on late round guys.
3 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12141
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 365

Re: Hey Spielman try TRADING UP FOR A CHANGE!!!

Post by S197 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:00 pm

Dalvin Cook Running back Florida State
3 6 70 Pat Elflein Center Ohio State
4 2 109 Jaleel Johnson Defensive tackle Iowa
4 14 120 Ben Gedeon Linebacker Michigan
5 27 170 Rodney Adams Wide receiver South Florida
5 37 180 Danny Isidora Guard Miami
6 17 201 Bucky Hodges Tight end Virginia Tech
7 1 219 Stacy Coley Wide receiver Miami
7 2 220 Ifeadi Odenigbo Defensive end Northwestern
7 14 242 Elijah Lee Linebacker Kansas State
7 27 245 Jack Tocho

This is what trading down and collecting picks looks like after a few years. How did these 11 picks help our team? You have maybe one guy in Ifeadi that will do anything. And he’s far offset by Elflein and Johnson who both far underperformed expectations.
1 x

StumpHunter
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1830
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am
x 237

Re: Hey Spielman try TRADING UP FOR A CHANGE!!!

Post by StumpHunter » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:04 pm

S197 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:00 pm
Dalvin Cook Running back Florida State
3 6 70 Pat Elflein Center Ohio State
4 2 109 Jaleel Johnson Defensive tackle Iowa
4 14 120 Ben Gedeon Linebacker Michigan
5 27 170 Rodney Adams Wide receiver South Florida
5 37 180 Danny Isidora Guard Miami
6 17 201 Bucky Hodges Tight end Virginia Tech
7 1 219 Stacy Coley Wide receiver Miami
7 2 220 Ifeadi Odenigbo Defensive end Northwestern
7 14 242 Elijah Lee Linebacker Kansas State
7 27 245 Jack Tocho

This is what trading down and collecting picks looks like after a few years. How did these 11 picks help our team? You have maybe one guy in Ifeadi that will do anything. And he’s far offset by Elflein and Johnson who both far underperformed expectations.
Even Ifeadi didn't make the team the year he was drafted.

That is a giant pile of crap if I ever saw one, outside of Cook.
0 x

User avatar
Rhodes Closed
Transition Player
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am
Location: Sleepy Eye, Minnesota
x 70

Re: Hey Spielman try TRADING UP FOR A CHANGE!!!

Post by Rhodes Closed » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:10 pm

People just refuse to see positives.

Oh well, to ignore they go.
2 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8039
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
x 721

Re: Hey Spielman try TRADING UP FOR A CHANGE!!!

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:30 pm

Purplepain2018 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:58 pm
I posted a couple of days ago about this might be Spielman's last draft with the Vikings because it is so frustrating as a Vikings fan watching the draft with this guy as general manager. As a fan, I am sitting there waiting(sometimes for a couple of hours) for the Vikings next pick and I look at the screen and it says, TRADE!!!! The trade he makes it is always BACK it is NEVER to move up. There are so many players that could help this team, but he trades back for players that I have never heard of before.

Today, in the fifth round he trades back with the stinking Bears a division rival. Why would you want to help a team in your own division by trading picks with them? Also, why does Slick Rick NEVER trade up? I am just so sick of this guy.

Does anybody else feel the same way?
Nobody ... especially the Wilfs, those people who sign Speilman’s paychecks ... gives a damn about how frustrated you are.

Here’s a reality you need to grow up and accept. Rick Spielman isn’t going anywhere.
2 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:01 pm
x 8

Re: Hey Spielman try TRADING UP FOR A CHANGE!!!

Post by 84BreaksAnkles » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:29 pm

See my rant in the perplexing draft thread. I agree man, it’s more of the same old bull crap, I guarantee the Vikings have had the most draft picks of any team in the last 5 years. Although I do think we added quite a few potentially good players this year, I can’t help but feeling like we let AT LEAST one maybe 2 really potential impact guys slip away from our grasp. I hate that we used 4 7th round picks, I hate that we used 3 6th’s... I mean cmon.
0 x
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"

User avatar
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:01 pm
x 8

Re: Hey Spielman try TRADING UP FOR A CHANGE!!!

Post by 84BreaksAnkles » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:34 pm

fiestavike wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:53 pm
I love the trade backs. I want more trade backs. Keep improving draft position year after year by flipping late round picks up a round. I love taking lots of shots on late round guys.
I think 10, day 3 picks would have been just fine, instead of 13, if it means we could move up to the early 2nd round. Antoine Winfield Jr.?

I mean we probably could have gotten back into the 1st even. Was rick just not willing to part ways with one of his 3 5th rounders, + 2 7th rounders to take a chance on Trent Williams? I certainly think it’s conceivable
0 x
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7892
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 635

Re: Hey Spielman try TRADING UP FOR A CHANGE!!!

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:44 am

Purplepain2018 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:58 pm
I posted a couple of days ago about this might be Spielman's last draft with the Vikings because it is so frustrating as a Vikings fan watching the draft with this guy as general manager. As a fan, I am sitting there waiting(sometimes for a couple of hours) for the Vikings next pick and I look at the screen and it says, TRADE!!!! The trade he makes it is always BACK it is NEVER to move up. There are so many players that could help this team, but he trades back for players that I have never heard of before.

Today, in the fifth round he trades back with the stinking Bears a division rival. Why would you want to help a team in your own division by trading picks with them? Also, why does Slick Rick NEVER trade up? I am just so sick of this guy.

Does anybody else feel the same way?
Dude, BV and I were texting about this and he agreed with me. My buddy that’s a Vikings fan reacts the same way you do as well. I don’t understand why fans fail to understand this.

When we trade back and collect more picks, it gives us a better chance to hit on players. It’s simple math!!

Would you rather have a late 3rd round pick (105)

OR

a 4th (130), a 5th (169), a 6th (203) and a 7th (244)??

We made that exact trade with the saints. How in any way can anyone sit there and say they wouldn’t take that deal any day of the week? The fricken saints literally traded away the rest of their draft for a TE out of Dayton. Absolutely brutal trade on their part and a genius move on spielmans. I don’t know how he even persuaded the saints to do that.

Also, would you rather have a 1st round pick (25)

OR

A 1st (31), a 4th (117) and a 5th (176)???

Another trade we made with SF.

These trades gave us 13 picks come day 3. And then knowing we couldn’t roster all of these picks, Spielman wisely traded a 5th away to the bears for a 4th in 2021 and traded a 6th away to the ravens for a 2021 5th.

I’m sorry but those are some EXCELLENT fricken moves if you ask me. And on top of it all, we still land 15 picks this year (which was an nfl record) and have roughly 13 ALREADY going into 2021. That’s double the picks 80% of the teams in the nfl have come 2021. We’re going to have roughly 30 draft picks in 2 years. That is freakin insane. Think about it, the average team has 7 draft picks a year. In order to get to 30 draft picks, that would take the average team roughly 4-5 years to do. We’re getting that in 2 years!!

And again, it’s simple math. The more picks you have, the higher the chance you have hitting on players in the draft. It is the definition of building through the draft. We also had 56% of our roster in 2019 as “our own” draft picks. That is the highest percentage of any team in the nfl. Guys can fog Spielman all they want but this guy knows how to work a fricken draft board and find a way to give us as many contributors on this team that he can.

I’d much rather have that than trading away my entire slew of day 3 picks for a TE out of Dayton. Or drafting 7 defensive players and no offensive players. Or trading so many picks away over the years that our draft consists of 4-5 total draft picks. Hell, the saints, picked 3 total players this year!! I repeat THREE players. A center, a LB and a TE. Even if they hit on those guys I don’t think you could’ve even consider that a good draft. They literally had a 1st and two 3rds. That is it

AND on top of all of these trade downs, we’re STILL landing the guy we were targeting all along. Any site I have read is given the Vikings with an “A” or an “A+” for a draft grade.

Check out nfl.com‘s draft grade below....

Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A-
Day 3 grade: A+
Overall grade: A
Draft analysis: GM Rick Spielman knew picking multiple cornerbacks (two on Day 1, one on Day 3) was a must, as was finding a receiver to replace Stefon Diggs and creating more competition on the offensive line. He hit all the notes in Rounds 1-3.

Wonnum was underappreciated at South Carolina, with Javon Kinlaw stealing the spotlight -- but the edge defender is athletic, tough and worthy of an early fourth-round pick. Getting Lynch in the fourth round was a steal -- his character off the field and motor on it will help him stay in the league for a very long time. Dye is a rare guy who led his college team in tackles for four years -- his selection addresses a position of need, as well. Hand, Brandel, Willekes, Hinton and Osborn will provide depth at minimum, but have the potential to have more of an impact. Getting Stanley in the seventh round could pay major dividends down the line. Metellus and Cole are safeties who can play in the box, maybe even at linebacker instead of safety.

Rick Spielman killed this draft and anyone that thinks different, I don’t know what to tell you. Sure, their performance is going to be the true tell but the promise that this draft has is as good as any draft we’ve had. On the surface, this draft might end up being better than Spielmans 2015 draft which was also excellent. No less, not only did we make a ton of excellent picks but we also loaded up for the following year. I’m not sure how anyone could possibly complain about what rick Spielman did in this draft.
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7892
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 635

Re: Hey Spielman try TRADING UP FOR A CHANGE!!!

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:45 am

fiestavike wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:53 pm
I love the trade backs. I want more trade backs. Keep improving draft position year after year by flipping late round picks up a round. I love taking lots of shots on late round guys.
Yes exactly!! It’s a excellent strategy.
2 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7892
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 635

Re: Hey Spielman try TRADING UP FOR A CHANGE!!!

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:48 am

84BreaksAnkles wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:34 pm
fiestavike wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:53 pm
I love the trade backs. I want more trade backs. Keep improving draft position year after year by flipping late round picks up a round. I love taking lots of shots on late round guys.
I think 10, day 3 picks would have been just fine, instead of 13, if it means we could move up to the early 2nd round. Antoine Winfield Jr.?

I mean we probably could have gotten back into the 1st even. Was rick just not willing to part ways with one of his 3 5th rounders, + 2 7th rounders to take a chance on Trent Williams? I certainly think it’s conceivable
It would’ve taken a lot more than 5th and 7th rounders to land Williams. The 49ers gave up a 5th and 2021 3rd, plus have to pay him. I think the hold up was the money for Williams, not the picks.

And sure, 10 day 3 picks sound fine, but 10 day 3 picks could’ve very well not given us the 4th and 5th round picks we landed next year. The more day 3 picks you have, the more it allows you to gain picks one round better the following year.
1 x
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri

User avatar
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 185

Re: Hey Spielman try TRADING UP FOR A CHANGE!!!

Post by Maelstrom88 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:21 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:44 am
Purplepain2018 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:58 pm
I posted a couple of days ago about this might be Spielman's last draft with the Vikings because it is so frustrating as a Vikings fan watching the draft with this guy as general manager. As a fan, I am sitting there waiting(sometimes for a couple of hours) for the Vikings next pick and I look at the screen and it says, TRADE!!!! The trade he makes it is always BACK it is NEVER to move up. There are so many players that could help this team, but he trades back for players that I have never heard of before.

Today, in the fifth round he trades back with the stinking Bears a division rival. Why would you want to help a team in your own division by trading picks with them? Also, why does Slick Rick NEVER trade up? I am just so sick of this guy.

Does anybody else feel the same way?
Dude, BV and I were texting about this and he agreed with me. My buddy that’s a Vikings fan reacts the same way you do as well. I don’t understand why fans fail to understand this.

When we trade back and collect more picks, it gives us a better chance to hit on players. It’s simple math!!

Would you rather have a late 3rd round pick (105)

OR

a 4th (130), a 5th (169), a 6th (203) and a 7th (244)??

We made that exact trade with the saints. How in any way can anyone sit there and say they wouldn’t take that deal any day of the week? The fricken saints literally traded away the rest of their draft for a TE out of Dayton. Absolutely brutal trade on their part and a genius move on spielmans. I don’t know how he even persuaded the saints to do that.

Also, would you rather have a 1st round pick (25)

OR

A 1st (31), a 4th (117) and a 5th (176)???

Another trade we made with SF.

These trades gave us 13 picks come day 3. And then knowing we couldn’t roster all of these picks, Spielman wisely traded a 5th away to the bears for a 4th in 2021 and traded a 6th away to the ravens for a 2021 5th.

I’m sorry but those are some EXCELLENT fricken moves if you ask me. And on top of it all, we still land 15 picks this year (which was an nfl record) and have roughly 13 ALREADY going into 2021. That’s double the picks 80% of the teams in the nfl have come 2021. We’re going to have roughly 30 draft picks in 2 years. That is freakin insane. Think about it, the average team has 7 draft picks a year. In order to get to 30 draft picks, that would take the average team roughly 4-5 years to do. We’re getting that in 2 years!!

And again, it’s simple math. The more picks you have, the higher the chance you have hitting on players in the draft. It is the definition of building through the draft. We also had 56% of our roster in 2019 as “our own” draft picks. That is the highest percentage of any team in the nfl. Guys can fog Spielman all they want but this guy knows how to work a fricken draft board and find a way to give us as many contributors on this team that he can.

I’d much rather have that than trading away my entire slew of day 3 picks for a TE out of Dayton. Or drafting 7 defensive players and no offensive players. Or trading so many picks away over the years that our draft consists of 4-5 total draft picks. Hell, the saints, picked 3 total players this year!! I repeat THREE players. A center, a LB and a TE. Even if they hit on those guys I don’t think you could’ve even consider that a good draft. They literally had a 1st and two 3rds. That is it

AND on top of all of these trade downs, we’re STILL landing the guy we were targeting all along. Any site I have read is given the Vikings with an “A” or an “A+” for a draft grade.

Check out nfl.com‘s draft grade below....

Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A-
Day 3 grade: A+
Overall grade: A
Draft analysis: GM Rick Spielman knew picking multiple cornerbacks (two on Day 1, one on Day 3) was a must, as was finding a receiver to replace Stefon Diggs and creating more competition on the offensive line. He hit all the notes in Rounds 1-3.

Wonnum was underappreciated at South Carolina, with Javon Kinlaw stealing the spotlight -- but the edge defender is athletic, tough and worthy of an early fourth-round pick. Getting Lynch in the fourth round was a steal -- his character off the field and motor on it will help him stay in the league for a very long time. Dye is a rare guy who led his college team in tackles for four years -- his selection addresses a position of need, as well. Hand, Brandel, Willekes, Hinton and Osborn will provide depth at minimum, but have the potential to have more of an impact. Getting Stanley in the seventh round could pay major dividends down the line. Metellus and Cole are safeties who can play in the box, maybe even at linebacker instead of safety.

Rick Spielman killed this draft and anyone that thinks different, I don’t know what to tell you. Sure, their performance is going to be the true tell but the promise that this draft has is as good as any draft we’ve had. On the surface, this draft might end up being better than Spielmans 2015 draft which was also excellent. No less, not only did we make a ton of excellent picks but we also loaded up for the following year. I’m not sure how anyone could possibly complain about what rick Spielman did in this draft.
:appl: :appl: :appl: Saints traded back in to select a 4th player late (QB with 60% completion rate) but other than that excellent post.
0 x
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.