Vikings select OT Ezra Cleveland

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 354

Re: Vikings select OT Ezra Cleveland

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:11 am

84BreaksAnkles wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:54 am
For all of you who are happy with this pick.. Ask yourself this question:
Is this the guy I want up front for my Vikings......

Guys.... Please use your own eyes. Don't accept whats fed to you always..

Please just watch the following two clips (timestamp 00:04:39 - 00:05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s

Look at Wills here. This is a dog. This is a nasty guy and he wants to hurt you.

Compare that hog's grit to this guy (timestamp 00:00:46 - 00:01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s

Just listen to the coach "It's ok to hit the bag"...........

And before you guys stroll in with the ol' "Its just a bag drill in the combine, it has nothing to do with the game", "Wills was a top-5 pick, and there's natural dropoff in the later picks, etc."

Just stop it. You can't convince me there wasn't another one of the 40+ tackles in this class with a little more grit, a little more heart, a little more drive, a little more dog in him. I can already hear the ol' "But he's a scheme fit for what were trying to do", good luck with that. We've read that book before and it ends the same way every time. For once lets go get a hog up front..

This kids going to absolutely get stood up in this league, the same way O'Niell falls short when we play the San Francisco's of the World. Sure, 80% of the time, hes solid & sound. But when its on the line and we need them, we will get spanked with these guys. Especially considering our Guards are well below average.
Wills was the top OL in the draft. I'm confident he's better than Cleveland. Thank you though for pointing that out. You think that by showing a YouTube that we should look at it and base Cleveland's entire value on that one YouTube? You have to be kidding. The Vikings have evaluated hours upon hours of actual game film on him and interviewed him and his coaches and probably looked into his elementary school records before coming to the conclusion that he is worthy of our pick #58 in the NFL Draft. Just stop it. You have a right to your opinion, but you can't convince me that there was even one of the remaining tackles in this class that was better. Please don't act like your one YouTube should convince us all that he sucks.
2 x

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4045
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
x 171

Re: Vikings select OT Ezra Cleveland

Post by Texas Vike » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:04 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:48 pm


And we arent moving Oneill. I believe either Zim or Spielman already spoke on it and said it wouldnt happen.
Rick said that we might, in an interview late last night/ early this morning:
https://www.vikings.com/video/spielman- ... w-s-saturd
0 x

User avatar
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:01 pm
x 8

Re: Vikings select OT Ezra Cleveland

Post by 84BreaksAnkles » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:00 am

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:11 am
Wills was the top OL in the draft. I'm confident he's better than Cleveland. Thank you though for pointing that out. You think that by showing a YouTube that we should look at it and base Cleveland's entire value on that one YouTube? You have to be kidding. The Vikings have evaluated hours upon hours of actual game film on him and interviewed him and his coaches and probably looked into his elementary school records before coming to the conclusion that he is worthy of our pick #58 in the NFL Draft. Just stop it. You have a right to your opinion, but you can't convince me that there was even one of the remaining tackles in this class that was better. Please don't act like your one YouTube should convince us all that he sucks.
Your argument is useless. I already stated that I realize Wills is a top draft pick and there's an obvious dropoff, don't take the lazy response route. The point of showing you the youtube video was to illustrate a point..

*Two kids with this one shot to really show these teams and scouts IN-PERSON, what they are about, what sort of passion they play with, what sort of grit they have, who they are, how much they want it.*

One looks like a dog, the other looks like a pup.

Don't even try to give me the ol' "The Vikings have evaluated hours upon hours of actual game film on him and interviewed him and his coaches and probably looked into his elementary school records before coming to the conclusion that he is worthy of our pick #58 in the NFL Draft.". YOU KNOW DAMNED WELL we wiff on linemen all the time. YOU , STOP, IT. Didn't we evaluate hours upon hours of actual game film on Patty Elfein, how about Matt Kalil, What about Willie Beavers, or T.J. Clemmings? How about David Yankey?

Did we forget to do our hours & hours of evaluations of "Actual game film" (Which I have done on Cleveland BTW, not to mention I am a Native of Boise Idaho, and I watch all Bronco games) on all those guys?

That is a tired and lazy argument, and I won't stand for it.
You're better than that VikeVic
0 x
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 354

Re: Vikings select OT Ezra Cleveland

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:41 am

84BreaksAnkles wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:00 am
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:11 am
Wills was the top OL in the draft. I'm confident he's better than Cleveland. Thank you though for pointing that out. You think that by showing a YouTube that we should look at it and base Cleveland's entire value on that one YouTube? You have to be kidding. The Vikings have evaluated hours upon hours of actual game film on him and interviewed him and his coaches and probably looked into his elementary school records before coming to the conclusion that he is worthy of our pick #58 in the NFL Draft. Just stop it. You have a right to your opinion, but you can't convince me that there was even one of the remaining tackles in this class that was better. Please don't act like your one YouTube should convince us all that he sucks.
Your argument is useless. I already stated that I realize Wills is a top draft pick and there's an obvious dropoff, don't take the lazy response route. The point of showing you the youtube video was to illustrate a point..

*Two kids with this one shot to really show these teams and scouts IN-PERSON, what they are about, what sort of passion they play with, what sort of grit they have, who they are, how much they want it.*

One looks like a dog, the other looks like a pup.

Don't even try to give me the ol' "The Vikings have evaluated hours upon hours of actual game film on him and interviewed him and his coaches and probably looked into his elementary school records before coming to the conclusion that he is worthy of our pick #58 in the NFL Draft.". YOU KNOW DAMNED WELL we wiff on linemen all the time. YOU , STOP, IT. Didn't we evaluate hours upon hours of actual game film on Patty Elfein, how about Matt Kalil, What about Willie Beavers, or T.J. Clemmings? How about David Yankey?

Did we forget to do our hours & hours of evaluations of "Actual game film" (Which I have done on Cleveland BTW, not to mention I am a Native of Boise Idaho, and I watch all Bronco games) on all those guys?

That is a tired and lazy argument, and I won't stand for it.
You're better than that VikeVic
I consider you showing a YouTube of Cleveland not trying to kill the person holding the blocking pad and acting like it proves something to be ridiculous. He showed the dog if you just keep watching for a couple minutes when he pumps up 30 reps. Plenty of dog.
1 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4518
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 272

Re: Vikings select OT Ezra Cleveland

Post by fiestavike » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:50 am

84BreaksAnkles wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:00 am
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:11 am
Wills was the top OL in the draft. I'm confident he's better than Cleveland. Thank you though for pointing that out. You think that by showing a YouTube that we should look at it and base Cleveland's entire value on that one YouTube? You have to be kidding. The Vikings have evaluated hours upon hours of actual game film on him and interviewed him and his coaches and probably looked into his elementary school records before coming to the conclusion that he is worthy of our pick #58 in the NFL Draft. Just stop it. You have a right to your opinion, but you can't convince me that there was even one of the remaining tackles in this class that was better. Please don't act like your one YouTube should convince us all that he sucks.
Your argument is useless. I already stated that I realize Wills is a top draft pick and there's an obvious dropoff, don't take the lazy response route. The point of showing you the youtube video was to illustrate a point..

*Two kids with this one shot to really show these teams and scouts IN-PERSON, what they are about, what sort of passion they play with, what sort of grit they have, who they are, how much they want it.*

One looks like a dog, the other looks like a pup.

Don't even try to give me the ol' "The Vikings have evaluated hours upon hours of actual game film on him and interviewed him and his coaches and probably looked into his elementary school records before coming to the conclusion that he is worthy of our pick #58 in the NFL Draft.". YOU KNOW DAMNED WELL we wiff on linemen all the time. YOU , STOP, IT. Didn't we evaluate hours upon hours of actual game film on Patty Elfein, how about Matt Kalil, What about Willie Beavers, or T.J. Clemmings? How about David Yankey?

Did we forget to do our hours & hours of evaluations of "Actual game film" (Which I have done on Cleveland BTW, not to mention I am a Native of Boise Idaho, and I watch all Bronco games) on all those guys?

That is a tired and lazy argument, and I won't stand for it.
You're better than that VikeVic
Who cares. Why is so important to convince everyone that he sucks?
1 x

User avatar
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:01 pm
x 8

Re: Vikings select OT Ezra Cleveland

Post by 84BreaksAnkles » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:54 am

I’m not trying to convince everyone he sucks. But what I’m saying is that it seems like we always go for this type of guy and who besides Brian O’Niell (who got dominated vs SF) are we very proud of this far?
0 x
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4518
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 272

Re: Vikings select OT Ezra Cleveland

Post by fiestavike » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:06 am

84BreaksAnkles wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:54 am
I’m not trying to convince everyone he sucks. But what I’m saying is that it seems like we always go for this type of guy and who besides Brian O’Niell (who got dominated vs SF) are we very proud of this far?
I agree, they need more physicality and attitude on the OL. Hopefully they can find that at the G positions, where they have been particularly weak.
0 x

cmoss84
Starter
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:29 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA
x 15

Re: Vikings select OT Ezra Cleveland

Post by cmoss84 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:09 am

84BreaksAnkles wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:54 am
I’m not trying to convince everyone he sucks. But what I’m saying is that it seems like we always go for this type of guy and who besides Brian O’Niell (who got dominated vs SF) are we very proud of this far?
So you're saying other people are Better Than Ezra?

See what I did there? :gone:
0 x
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

User avatar
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:01 pm
x 8

Re: Vikings select OT Ezra Cleveland

Post by 84BreaksAnkles » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:21 am

cmoss84 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:09 am
84BreaksAnkles wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:54 am
I’m not trying to convince everyone he sucks. But what I’m saying is that it seems like we always go for this type of guy and who besides Brian O’Niell (who got dominated vs SF) are we very proud of this far?
So you're saying other people are Better Than Ezra?

See what I did there? :gone:
Hahahaha that’s clean🤣
0 x
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 354

Re: Vikings select OT Ezra Cleveland

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:23 am

84BreaksAnkles wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:21 am
cmoss84 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:09 am


So you're saying other people are Better Than Ezra?

See what I did there? :gone:
Hahahaha that’s clean🤣
Did he show Dog putting up the 30 reps?
1 x

User avatar
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:01 pm
x 8

Re: Vikings select OT Ezra Cleveland

Post by 84BreaksAnkles » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:24 pm

Sure, something’s to be said of his reps at 225. But at the same time I’m not sure that you can correlate any sort of “gamer mentality” or nastiness with the bench press. Maybe that was his favorite lift in college.

Regardless, I hope I’m wrong on this one but I just don’t see the fight in this guy. Keep in mind he’s in the mountain west. He RARELY if ever went up against elite edge talent. Just watch the Florida state game last year. They dug themselves a severe hole early because they were getting dominated up front.
0 x
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 354

Re: Vikings select OT Ezra Cleveland

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:44 pm

84BreaksAnkles wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:24 pm
Sure, something’s to be said of his reps at 225. But at the same time I’m not sure that you can correlate any sort of “gamer mentality” or nastiness with the bench press. Maybe that was his favorite lift in college.

Regardless, I hope I’m wrong on this one but I just don’t see the fight in this guy. Keep in mind he’s in the mountain west. He RARELY if ever went up against elite edge talent. Just watch the Florida state game last year. They dug themselves a severe hole early because they were getting dominated up front.
When I watched Mattison tape last year he stood out like crazy. I went to watch Mattison and was blown away by Cleveland. See I make my own decisions/opinions. I know turf toe limited him a bit this year.
1 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4518
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 272

Re: Vikings select OT Ezra Cleveland

Post by fiestavike » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:15 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:44 pm
84BreaksAnkles wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:24 pm
Sure, something’s to be said of his reps at 225. But at the same time I’m not sure that you can correlate any sort of “gamer mentality” or nastiness with the bench press. Maybe that was his favorite lift in college.

Regardless, I hope I’m wrong on this one but I just don’t see the fight in this guy. Keep in mind he’s in the mountain west. He RARELY if ever went up against elite edge talent. Just watch the Florida state game last year. They dug themselves a severe hole early because they were getting dominated up front.
When I watched Mattison tape last year he stood out like crazy. I went to watch Mattison and was blown away by Cleveland. See I make my own decisions/opinions. I know turf toe limited him a bit this year.
Now we need to draft Tyree Cleveland. :lol:
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 354

Re: Vikings select OT Ezra Cleveland

Post by VikingsVictorious » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:05 pm

84 breaks they say this guy plays with a mean streak. Maybe you'll like him better.

We may have got a diamond in the rough. Never heard of this guy but PFF rated him as a 93 pass blocker? That's unreal. Best pass blocking score in college football.

One of the most consistent linemen Oregon State has had, Blake Brandel was the Beavers' iron man in the trenches as he started and played in all 48 games of his career. The 6-foot-7, 308 pounder became a staple at left-tackle as a redshirt-freshman in 2016 and never looked back as he logged the third-longest starting streak in OSU history.

Brandel was named All Pac-12 Second-Team as a senior in 2019 and was previously a Pac-12 Honorable Mention in 2016, 2017, and 2018. He started the majority of games at left tackle but logged nine starts at right tackle during his redshirt-freshman season in 2016.

In his senior season, Brandel earned a 93.1 pass-blocking grade by PFF, the best mark in the nation. Overall, he earned a 90.0 grade, which was the sixth-best mark nationally. In the 2019 season, he allowed just one sack and four overall QB hurries.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12141
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 365

Re: Vikings select OT Ezra Cleveland

Post by S197 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:00 pm

cmoss84 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:09 am
84BreaksAnkles wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:54 am
I’m not trying to convince everyone he sucks. But what I’m saying is that it seems like we always go for this type of guy and who besides Brian O’Niell (who got dominated vs SF) are we very proud of this far?
So you're saying other people are Better Than Ezra?

See what I did there? :gone:
Ah-ah-ah-ah-aha he was good.
0 x