Vikings select CB- Jeff Gladney, TCU

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Vikings select CB- Jeff Gladney, TCU

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikings selected TCU CB Jeff Gladney with the No. 31 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.
A four-year starter at TCU, Gladney (5’10/191) earned second-team All-Big 12 honors in 2018 after allowing an elite 4.7 yards per target before taking a step back in his final season (7.2 yards per target) as a perceived one-year wonder. An instinctual player with plus athleticism — according to the Horned Frogs' training staff, Gladney squats 620 pounds, benches 400, and hang cleans 400-plus — he made a career in shadowing a majority of the nation's top wideouts as one of only two FBS players with at least 15 passes defended in each of the last two seasons. Still, the red flags are there: He'll be 23 on draft night, tore his ACL and LCL in his senior year of high school, underwent meniscus surgery this past offseason, and was scratched from the 2020 Senior Bowl due to a sore knee. He also disappointed at Indy's combine, running a 4.48 40 (he clocked at 4.34 last offseason) and sluggish 7.26 three-cone (13th-percentile) in front of league execs. Gladney may be forced into a sub-package role at the next level given his size, but he has the tracking skills and traits to eventually man the perimeter as a No. 2.
I dont entirely agree with this write up. Something about this kid I think he's going to be a special player. Plus we gained a 4th and 5th which was brilliant trade back IMO. Those picks could be gold in a Trent Williams trade. Hopefully we move up tonight and take another highly touted player
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings select CB- Jeff Gladney, TCU

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:12 pm
Vikings selected TCU CB Jeff Gladney with the No. 31 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.
A four-year starter at TCU, Gladney (5’10/191) earned second-team All-Big 12 honors in 2018 after allowing an elite 4.7 yards per target before taking a step back in his final season (7.2 yards per target) as a perceived one-year wonder. An instinctual player with plus athleticism — according to the Horned Frogs' training staff, Gladney squats 620 pounds, benches 400, and hang cleans 400-plus — he made a career in shadowing a majority of the nation's top wideouts as one of only two FBS players with at least 15 passes defended in each of the last two seasons. Still, the red flags are there: He'll be 23 on draft night, tore his ACL and LCL in his senior year of high school, underwent meniscus surgery this past offseason, and was scratched from the 2020 Senior Bowl due to a sore knee. He also disappointed at Indy's combine, running a 4.48 40 (he clocked at 4.34 last offseason) and sluggish 7.26 three-cone (13th-percentile) in front of league execs. Gladney may be forced into a sub-package role at the next level given his size, but he has the tracking skills and traits to eventually man the perimeter as a No. 2.
I dont entirely agree with this write up. Something about this kid I think he's going to be a special player. Plus we gained a 4th and 5th which was brilliant trade back IMO. Those picks could be gold in a Trent Williams trade. Hopefully we move up tonight and take another highly touted player
If we don't move up from 58 (where we should get a very good player) I could see us moving up several times before the 4th round is out to target specific players.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I really like his demeanor. That's not going to make him an NFL star, but I think its not insignificant.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I wanted Gladney so I am very happy with his pick, will he be starting besides Hill or Hughes?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

At first I wasn't sure about him because of his height but after watching him a bit and reading up on his pass break up stats and ability to get his hands on the ball I'm more sold. I like what I see about his toughness, willingness to get dirty, and scrappy demeanor. Seems like he will add attitude to this secondary.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:27 pm At first I wasn't sure about him because of his height but after watching him a bit and reading up on his pass break up stats and ability to get his hands on the ball I'm more sold. I like what I see about his toughness, willingness to get dirty, and scrappy demeanor. Seems like he will add attitude to this secondary.
He is so great at pass break ups, that is why I wanted him
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

He played all season and did the combine with a torn meniscus.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:15 pm

If we don't move up from 58 (where we should get a very good player) I could see us moving up several times before the 4th round is out to target specific players.
I'm very much in favor of NOT moving up from 58. There are so many great players that a few will be available there. What I want is for us to move up from one of our third round picks and trade the other with Reiff for Williams.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

IIsweet wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:49 pm He played all season and did the combine with a torn meniscus.
Hopefully his surgery will make him as good as new. Was he really a 4.34 guy before? Not combine so doesn't really matter anyway. Never trust any 40 time that isn't from the combine.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:26 pm I wanted Gladney so I am very happy with his pick, will he be starting besides Hill or Hughes?
Probably on day one he will be one of our top 3 CBs and they play 70% of the time.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

What I like most about Gladney is his competitiveness.

One of the THE things that bugged me about Waynes was how lax he seemed on a lot of plays. Maybe it just seemed that way and he was really steamed when he got beat, but he just didn't seem to care all that much if he gave up a throw. Waynes was a good run defender, and I thought he was a decent overall CB, but it seemed like he was just doing his job most of the time.

Gladney, OTOH, does NOT like to get beat. He seems to be personally invested in the outcome of plays that go his way and plays that don't, and he is going to do everything in his power to minimize the number and frequency of those that don't. Gladney strikes me as a guy who, if he works hard and does the things he needs to do to prepare himself, can become a #1 corner in the NFL. The kind of guy who is going to give it everything he's got on every play he's out there and who will leave it all on the field. He has to get more consistent and learn the tricks of his trade, and hopefully Zimmer can help him with both challenges.

In the end I think the Vikes got two player leaders in Jefferson and Gladney. Guys who will hold themselves and those around them accountable. I hope Spielman can keep that going with his remaining picks in this draft.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

He's physical, which is good but he's also handsy which is not good. He plays with emotion but it also gets him into trouble, he almost got suspended for throwing punches in a game.

His knees, poor 3-cone (a test of agility and fluidity), and production fall off his senior year is also concerning. I don't know, I don't hate the pick but it's a lot of red flags for a 1st round pick. I think he's more of a 2nd rounder and the Vikings reached a little.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:29 pm He's physical, which is good but he's also handsy which is not good. He plays with emotion but it also gets him into trouble, he almost got suspended for throwing punches in a game.

His knees, poor 3-cone (a test of agility and fluidity), and production fall off his senior year is also concerning. I don't know, I don't hate the pick but it's a lot of red flags for a 1st round pick. I think he's more of a 2nd rounder and the Vikings reached a little.
That makes me like him more!

The vikings have been way to soft and timid for way too long. We need someone to bring attitude to our defensive unit and to our offensive line. I thought that really showed last year against physical teams. We wilted.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

If he can be that guy then great. But there's a different between playing with passion and losing your cool that hurts your team. I think coaching and time can help with those things.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:11 pm

What I like most about Gladney is his competitiveness.

One of the THE things that bugged me about Waynes was how lax he seemed on a lot of plays. Maybe it just seemed that way and he was really steamed when he got beat, but he just didn't seem to care all that much if he gave up a throw. Waynes was a good run defender, and I thought he was a decent overall CB, but it seemed like he was just doing his job most of the time.

Gladney, OTOH, does NOT like to get beat. He seems to be personally invested in the outcome of plays that go his way and plays that don't, and he is going to do everything in his power to minimize the number and frequency of those that don't. Gladney strikes me as a guy who, if he works hard and does the things he needs to do to prepare himself, can become a #1 corner in the NFL. The kind of guy who is going to give it everything he's got on every play he's out there and who will leave it all on the field. He has to get more consistent and learn the tricks of his trade, and hopefully Zimmer can help him with both challenges.

In the end I think the Vikes got two player leaders in Jefferson and Gladney. Guys who will hold themselves and those around them accountable. I hope Spielman can keep that going with his remaining picks in this draft.
Great post I agree. Gladney is a dog. He's a tough dude and a nasty corner.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri