Draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Vikings CrucifiXS
Rookie
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:44 pm
x 22

Re: Draft thread

Post by Vikings CrucifiXS » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:52 pm

Have to give a shout out to Troy Dye. Its always pleasing to see a player from your college team go to a pro team you follow.

https://youtu.be/tFYZl23lbb8
1 x
Image

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 354

Re: Draft thread

Post by VikingsVictorious » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:12 pm

Vikings CrucifiXS wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:52 pm
Have to give a shout out to Troy Dye. Its always pleasing to see a player from your college team go to a pro team you follow.

https://youtu.be/tFYZl23lbb8
He sounds like a good one.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 354

Re: Draft thread

Post by VikingsVictorious » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:14 pm

S197 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:33 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:22 am


Yeah I mean no matter what position you're playing, if you're racking up 13.5 sacks in a college season and racking up the most pressures in the nation, you know how to rush the passer. Lynch was among the elite doing this in college.

And S197, you said he was too small to be a 3 tech DT, he is 6'4, 289 lbs.

John Randle was 6'1, 287 lbs.
Aaron Donald is 6'1, 284 lbs.
Gerald McCoy is 6'4, 295 lbs
Geno Atkins is 6'1, 302 lbs.
Jurell Casey is 6'1, 300 lbs

James Lynch is not too small. He has great size to be a DT. I can bet money he will be starting sooner than later and be very productive on top of it.
I said small for a prototypical DT, which I still feel is correct. There's also a difference between 6'1 300lbs and 6'4 289 lbs.

Every single scouting report I've read doesn't seem to disagree. He has the production but the question is whether it translates in the NFL due to strength and limited pass rush moves. I actually like the pick, I just think he's going to be situational rather than an every down DT to start.
You could be right, but watch him play if you haven't. He's really fun to watch play.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 12141
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii
x 365

Re: Draft thread

Post by S197 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:22 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:14 pm
S197 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:33 pm


I said small for a prototypical DT, which I still feel is correct. There's also a difference between 6'1 300lbs and 6'4 289 lbs.

Every single scouting report I've read doesn't seem to disagree. He has the production but the question is whether it translates in the NFL due to strength and limited pass rush moves. I actually like the pick, I just think he's going to be situational rather than an every down DT to start.
You could be right, but watch him play if you haven't. He's really fun to watch play.
I watched some of his highlights, definitely a high motor guy that gets up the field!
1 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 354

Re: Draft thread

Post by VikingsVictorious » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:35 pm

Some game video of Brandel against Ok St.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_-G5Qyg1LiE
I counted three times out of 50 or so snaps where he got beat by the defender. One led to a tackle of the runner behind the line, another led to a QB pressure. The other the defender didn't affect the run to the other side. Quite good IMO.
1 x

User avatar
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
x 185

Re: Draft thread

Post by Maelstrom88 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:50 pm

VikingsVictorious wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:35 pm
Some game video of Brandel against Ok St.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_-G5Qyg1LiE
I counted three times out of 50 or so snaps where he got beat by the defender. One led to a tackle of the runner behind the line, another led to a QB pressure. The other the defender didn't affect the run to the other side. Quite good IMO.
I think he could end up being a steal. Seems like a smart/mature guy and being the number 1 graded pass blocker inn pff is impressive.
1 x
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4045
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
x 171

Re: Draft thread

Post by Texas Vike » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:27 pm

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/28/behin ... reddit.com

Strongly recommended article "Behind the Scenes of the Vikings Draft: A Record 15 Picks, Dozens of Locations, and Zero Glitches"
1 x

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4518
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
x 272

Re: Draft thread

Post by fiestavike » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:03 pm

Texas Vike wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:27 pm
https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/28/behin ... reddit.com

Strongly recommended article "Behind the Scenes of the Vikings Draft: A Record 15 Picks, Dozens of Locations, and Zero Glitches"
Let me guess....You work in IT?

:lol:

seriously, fun read. thanks for sharing.
0 x

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4045
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
x 171

Re: Draft thread

Post by Texas Vike » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:27 pm

fiestavike wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:03 pm
Texas Vike wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:27 pm
https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/28/behin ... reddit.com

Strongly recommended article "Behind the Scenes of the Vikings Draft: A Record 15 Picks, Dozens of Locations, and Zero Glitches"
Let me guess....You work in IT?

:lol:

seriously, fun read. thanks for sharing.
Far from it, haha. I’m technologically challenged, honestly, but I found this inside glimpse to be fun. For all the crap I give Rick, I actually really like him.
0 x

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 354

Re: Draft thread

Post by VikingsVictorious » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:30 pm

S197 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:22 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:14 pm

You could be right, but watch him play if you haven't. He's really fun to watch play.
I watched some of his highlights, definitely a high motor guy that gets up the field!
Everybody looks great in highlights.Watch him in game video. He is getting up the field almost every play.
0 x