Viking Draft selections

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Viking Draft selections

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:48 am
Pep2Moss wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:17 pm Mac only got 1 year so if the Vikings wanted him they cookie have kept him, but there was definitely some hostility there between he and the staff. Kearse said he wouldn’t be back long before him left iirc. He will be suspended for a couple games I would assume. Waynes was just too costly.

In a league that throws all the time we had better hope we struck gold. Hill needs to make sure he doesn’t get suspended again, Hughes better be healthy and take the next step and I hope Boyd is a good one. Add in the three rookies and you have youth and talent but also a ton of uncertainty
If Hill gets suspended again, he needs to get cut since he cares more about weed than football
I don't even know if he can get suspended for weed under the new CBA.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Eller wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:57 pm
VikingLord wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:06 pm

Waynes wasn't that bad. He was a reliable run defender and tackler and often had decent position. If Waynes had a glaring flaw it was he didn't seem to turn that ability to stay into position to plays on the ball itself, whether that was to deny the reception or intercept the ball.

Could Spielman have found a guy who fit that description as a DB later than the 1st round? More than likely he could have. But I wasn't upset with the Waynes pick then and I'm not now. Waynes was a reasonable choice where the Vikings got him and based on what he put on tape and was known about him.
yeah he wasnt that bad its just with the 10th overall pick, you want to get a guy who can start for you for 8years. Getting 3 and half year starter just isnt getting it done.. I am fine with Spielmans job overall I think hes done well.
Yeah, and the frustrating part is Waynes had the physical talent and tools to be that guy. I think he lacked the character to become that guy. I never saw much emotion from Waynes on the field. Whether he made a good play or messed up, he just moved on to the next play. That isn't a terrible trait for cornerbacks - most of the good ones seem to promote the idea of having a short memory, but I think there is a leadership/accountability trait that is particularly important for "skill" position players who often find themselves out on an island and the only one who can make a play. The Vikings CBs last year all seemed to lack that trait, whether it was Rhodes and his pouting or Waynes and his almost "oh well..." response when he got beat over the top or failed to make a play on the ball.

While I'm shocked that the Vikings let 3 starting DBs walk over the offseason, if the coaches saw in the internal makeup of those players what I saw, then the move makes total sense and I'm glad they did it. I strongly believed one of the major issues with the entire defense last year (and to a lesser degree the offense) was a lack of on-field player leadership and accountability. It showed up on and off the field and in various forms. Not everyone was like that, but the cornerbacks had a bad case of it.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingLord wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:07 pm

yeah he wasnt that bad its just with the 10th overall pick, you want to get a guy who can start for you for 8years. Getting 3 and half year starter just isnt getting it done.. I am fine with Spielmans job overall I think hes done well.
Yeah, and the frustrating part is Waynes had the physical talent and tools to be that guy. I think he lacked the character to become that guy. I never saw much emotion from Waynes on the field. Whether he made a good play or messed up, he just moved on to the next play. That isn't a terrible trait for cornerbacks - most of the good ones seem to promote the idea of having a short memory, but I think there is a leadership/accountability trait that is particularly important for "skill" position players who often find themselves out on an island and the only one who can make a play. The Vikings CBs last year all seemed to lack that trait, whether it was Rhodes and his pouting or Waynes and his almost "oh well..." response when he got beat over the top or failed to make a play on the ball.

While I'm shocked that the Vikings let 3 starting DBs walk over the offseason, if the coaches saw in the internal makeup of those players what I saw, then the move makes total sense and I'm glad they did it. I strongly believed one of the major issues with the entire defense last year (and to a lesser degree the offense) was a lack of on-field player leadership and accountability. It showed up on and off the field and in various forms. Not everyone was like that, but the cornerbacks had a bad case of it.
But why? Rhodes is not good anymore, Waynes and Alexander are both mediocre so I am not surprised Vikings let them walk
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Pep2Moss wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:17 pm Mac only got 1 year so if the Vikings wanted him they cookie have kept him, but there was definitely some hostility there between he and the staff. Kearse said he wouldn’t be back long before him left iirc. He will be suspended for a couple games I would assume. Waynes was just too costly.

In a league that throws all the time we had better hope we struck gold. Hill needs to make sure he doesn’t get suspended again, Hughes better be healthy and take the next step and I hope Boyd is a good one. Add in the three rookies and you have youth and talent but also a ton of uncertainty
If Hill gets suspended again, he needs to get cut since he cares more about weed than football
I think weed is ok under the new CBA, or not suspendable iirc
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pep2Moss wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:26 pm

I think weed is ok under the new CBA, or not suspendable iirc
I wonder if it is grandfathered in though for those in the protocol.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I guess we will find out!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:07 pm

Every report I read about Jeff Gladney is that he is a very, very intense football player and a born leader. Perhaps the coaches actually DID see what you saw.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Here's some local (Fort Worth) thoughts on Gladney:
Gladney’s game is expected to translate well to the next level as he’s had success containing bigger, more physical receivers as well as smaller, quicker ones.

The biggest question for Gladney is his size at 5-foot-10, but Zimmer had success with another 5-foot-10 corner, former Dallas Cowboy Terence Newman who played in the NFL for 15 seasons.

“If you need me to be a physical matchup with a bigger receiver I can do that,” said Gladney, who had 15 passes defensed in both his junior and senior seasons.

“If I just need to use more feet and be quick and use my hips with my feet on a smaller receiver I can do that also. Really, if they want to put their main player on the slot I can move to the slot if I need to.”

That’s the mindset that turned Gladney into one of Patterson’s favorites. This is a guy who played through an ankle injury in 2018 and a meniscus injury in 2019.

“I do think he has the intangibles to make himself better,” Patterson said. “And I know he’s going to get coached very well when he gets there. He’s going to listen and he’s not going to mind if they say it in a rougher tone than maybe other people do.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/co ... rylink=cpy
Love his toughness and his versatility. Great mindset.
Patterson added, “He’s the same way I am. Here’s how many passing yards we want them to get — zero. Anything over zero is not good. I know that’s not realistic, but that’s kind of the way we go about it. Jeff’s going to be able to handle that.

“He’s from East Texas. He’s country tough. He can handle those kinds of things. I told Jeff, you’re a guy who can handle tough coaching. You’ve been through all of that. You know how to move forward and say ‘Yessir,’ and go forward with what you need to get going with. I think it’s a good fit when it comes to those kind of things.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/co ... rylink=cpy
Love this line from Coach P: "Country tough".
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I am looking forward to seeing all the rookies play! :thumbsup:
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

I miss reading all the rookie mini camp stuff...love that every year right after the draft.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Pep2Moss wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:06 pm I miss reading all the rookie mini camp stuff...love that every year right after the draft.
Yeah, it is really interesting to see how the rookies do!